Stunger Tries Trough Growing And Attempts Fluxing On His Organic Living Soil Balcony

Update - Trough pics

Greetings 420 enthusiasts!

We've had a couple of days of rain but not a lot. Just prior to the rain so it would help get it into the soil, I sprinkled a couple of tablespoons of Herbi's Bloom 2-8-4 upon the mulch of each plant. I did similar about 3 weeks ago but I forgot to journal it at time.

The Frozen Black Cherry is well into flowering now and finished her stretching.

The Super Lemon Haze is finally in budset with established pompoms, I think she has also finished her stretching.

The Mulanje Sherbert is only just coming into budset, her pompoms are just about established but not fully. She has stretched beyond where I would prefer her. I may tie her down further, but I am not super comfortable putting too much tension on her due to past experiences that have made me suspicious that this can over stress the plant. With training, I'd probably prefer to supercrop her instead. However for a change, I would very much like to let her grow out her buds as nice straight 'spears' or 'bats', so I may do nothing and chance it. Her top growth is now just over the wooden balcony rails and pushing the stealth limits a bit, but it would probably be hard for anyone to discern from any distance.

Thanks for dropping by. I hope your own gardens are going great!
:ganjamon:
Oh I lost this thread I remember when you 1st posted them repotted I the 3 chamber rectangle pot when they were a few weeks old or something. Been a min. 👍🏻🙏🏻
They look fabulous

Over the past few years of journaling my grows, I have had some journal/plant of the month awards, some prizes like grow lights or vapes are really awesome but with living in New Zealand the prizes are mostly unavailable.

So I am very chuffed to receive my first ever prize direct from a sponsor, of 5 Blueberry seeds from Seedsman.
They were well sent in stealth mode too, much appreciated. Thank you @SeedsMan and 420! :thanks:

👀 Looking forward to seeing the Blueberry 🫐 grow, congrats 🍾🎈. CL🍀

Good for @SeedsMan to get you those Bberries! I bet you'll do well with them! :Rasta:

Looking good Stunger!
Thanks Tim! It's just about bringing them home now.
Winning is fun Stun! Sweet prize!
Cheers Otter! Sweet indeed, I have always been curious about Blueberry.
Oh I lost this thread I remember when you 1st posted them repotted I the 3 chamber rectangle pot when they were a few weeks old or something. Been a min. 👍🏻🙏🏻
They look fabulous
Thanks Jiggi! My 3 chamber trough was new this grow, it seems to be working out, I like the extra soil it allows the plants.
👀 Looking forward to seeing the Blueberry 🫐 grow, congrats 🍾🎈. CL🍀
Cheers CL! Me too.
Good for @SeedsMan to get you those Bberries! I bet you'll do well with them! :Rasta:
Thanks GDB! I hope so.
I'm glad the weather is holding out for you as you wait for the harvest, and I'm digging the purple black leaves on the Mulanje Sherbert!

Nice that you got some prize seeds sent your way. :welldone: Seedsman.
Cheers Shed! We have a cold spell this week and the Mulanje Sherbert has gone totally purple/black, quite a contrast to the non conformist Super Lemon Haze who has refused to budge from her own green colour, there's alway one eh.

Update - I snipped off a couple of buds to dry and try as my latest round of testers

I carried out a short light cleanup of both plants to remove some spent leaves and a lower stem of the Super Lemon Haze that had died off.

I also picked a small lower bud of the Mulanje Sherbert to cut off as a tester. So far I have been 'testing' bits of her taken 3 weeks ago. I feel keen to try something 'current' from her, as overall I think she can continue on towards the end of this month. She has been the most potent plant that I have grown over the last few years. A nearby grow buddy also grew it last year and he declared that it was the top one of his strains. She's looking good for this grow too, and is already potent.

I also carried out an impromptu snipping off of one of the Super Lemon Haze's buds. I thought it appeared 'floppy' at the bud stem altho the bud appears quite fine. After inspecting the bud stem it didn't seem to have an injury but I decided to snip that one off too, so now I have a tester from both plants to dry and then in a few days try.

A 'tester' from each plant

Mulanje Sherbert

Super Lemon Haze

The conclusion of what the trichomes are telling me

Still lots of clear on both.

The Mulanje Sherbert was the last of the trough plants to begin flowering. From what I can see, she appears happy and to me she is looking like she could continue upwards to the end of May.

The Super Lemon Haze I think has always appeared a little stressed from the training I gave her and probably also from the soil being a tad richer than what she would have preferred. Perhaps that stress also contributed to her coming down with a case of mites. To me, her trichomes also have further to go where her harvest is likely to similarly be towards the end of May, so unless she begins to look too stressed I will let her continue in flowering for longer. I also found 1 live mite on her today, so I given that I will not harvest her in the immediate future I will give her another spray of organic Neem to further deter the little bastards and hopefully the cold weather this week will assist in that.

Thanks for swinging by and I hope you're all having a cracker of a day!

Update - I snipped off a couple of buds to dry and try as my latest round of testers

I carried out a short light cleanup of both plants to remove some spent leaves and a lower stem of the Super Lemon Haze that had died off.

I also picked a small lower bud of the Mulanje Sherbert to cut off as a tester. So far I have been 'testing' bits of her taken 3 weeks ago. I feel keen to try something 'current' from her, as overall I think she can continue on towards the end of this month. She has been the most potent plant that I have grown over the last few years. A nearby grow buddy also grew it last year and he declared that it was the top one of his strains. She's looking good for this grow too, and is already potent.

I also carried out an impromptu snipping off of one of the Super Lemon Haze's buds. I thought it appeared 'floppy' at the bud stem altho the bud appears quite fine. After inspecting the bud stem it didn't seem to have an injury but I decided to snip that one off too, so now I have a tester from both plants to dry and then in a few days try.

A 'tester' from each plant

Mulanje Sherbert

Super Lemon Haze

The conclusion of what the trichomes are telling me

Still lots of clear on both.

The Mulanje Sherbert was the last of the trough plants to begin flowering. From what I can see, she appears happy and to me she is looking like she could continue upwards to the end of May.

The Super Lemon Haze I think has always appeared a little stressed from the training I gave her and probably also from the soil being a tad richer than what she would have preferred. Perhaps that stress also contributed to her coming down with a case of mites. To me, her trichomes also have further to go where her harvest is likely to similarly be towards the end of May, so unless she begins to look too stressed I will let her continue in flowering for longer. I also found 1 live mite on her today, so I given that I will not harvest her in the immediate future I will give her another spray of organic Neem to further deter the little bastards and hopefully the cold weather this week will assist in that.

Thanks for swinging by and I hope you're all having a cracker of a day!
I dispise pests so I hope you kill each n everyone of them. The more pain they feel the better. lol 😂 CL🍀

Stunger, I like the looks of the purple one and the green one! :Rasta:

You have no issues using Neem in flower?

I dispise pests so I hope you kill each n everyone of them. The more pain they feel the better. lol 😂 CL🍀
Thanks CL! Last year growing outdoors with all the rain we got there was very little insect pest issues. I got a bit over confident about them this year. But I have learned that lesson, and from now on I'll be carrying out preventative spraying to hopefully avoid any damage from the little buggers.
Stunger, I like the looks of the purple one and the green one! :Rasta:
Cheers GDB! The contrast in coloration is striking, that wee bud was from low down whereas the top buds and foliage are all really dark now from the colder overnight temps.
You have no issues using Neem in flower?
No none at all, zero. I have found that it works great against mites. I have used the same organic Neem spray on past grows as an emergency measure late in flower when there has been an outbreak of mites (usually up to a couple of weeks prior to harvest) and I have never detected any residual Neem taste/smell in the bud. I have shared bud with others and no one has detected anything residual from the Neem spray.

I have read where some folks are dead against it. They say they have found residual effects but maybe their spray formulation has other things in it to cause that, I haven't seen any so I can't speak for any negative effects others have found.

However, the Neem Oil Fact Sheet from the National Pesticide Information Center, states that it rapidly breaks down on plant leaves, the half life is 1 - 2.5 days. They also state that there is no association with increased cancer risk. They even mention a study on prostate cancer cells in humans where Neem extract was able to slow their growth, so it could even be good for us blokes!
Neem Oil Fact Sheet from National Pesticide Information Center

Nice samples! The Mulanje Sherbert trichs look like they're from a mature plant but most of the Super Lemon Haze look like the thing just started flowering. :)
Thanks Shed!

The Mulanje Sherbert that I previously grew last grow started to fail in May, with stems slowly dying off. As a result I harvested the buds on failing stems leaving the good ones on the plant for a final harvest that was done on May 20th, only a week and a half away! But this plant seems to be pretty happy so I'll probably let her continue for longer if she's up to it.

The Super Lemon Haze has different look to her and still has mostly clear trichomes. I'll let her continue too if she is up to it.

However, the Neem Oil Fact Sheet from the National Pesticide Information Center, states that it rapidly breaks down on plant leaves, the half life is 1 - 2.5 days. They also state that there is no association with increased cancer risk. They even mention a study on prostate cancer cells in humans where Neem extract was able to slow their growth, so it could even be good for us blokes!
I have no idea what smoking neem oil residue might do to the lungs but very few studies are done on combustion and inhalation of pesticides, organic or otherwise. They're almost all studying ingestion.

They have done them on pyrethrins, which is why I try to steer folks away from it:
"Pyrethrins can also be harmful to humans, especially in cannabis products designed for smoking, because these chemicals can be easily absorbed through the lungs."
Source

I have no idea what smoking neem oil residue might do to the lungs but very few studies are done on combustion and inhalation of pesticides, organic or otherwise. They're almost all studying ingestion.

They have done them on pyrethrins, which is why I try to steer folks away from it:
"Pyrethrins can also be harmful to humans, especially in cannabis products designed for smoking, because these chemicals can be easily absorbed through the lungs."
Source
Thanks Shed, that is a useful point. We should be cautious about combusting/vaping and inhaling of any toxic compounds natural or added that exist on and even in our buds. That's why I would feel uncomfortable buying commercial weed, and where I live that would be blackmarket weed where there is no guarantee that it isn't tainted with questionable fast growth chemicals used to assist in greater profit.

There is a threshold for everything, so I guess as long as those are not breeched it's just part of life and we continue on daily breathing in modern day air polluted with a lot of chemical compounds that didn't exist in our grandparents times.

For what it's worth the NPIC also has a fact sheet on Pyrethrins here. It seems that Pyrethrins also break down rapidly in the environment and on plant surfaces. My balcony plants are exposed to the sun, wind and rain which presumably further assists.

So for me, the overgrowth of mites had to go. The sun, wind, rain and time should take care of any residues, and if any residue remains then hopefully it will fall well below any toxic health threshold and I can just continue living. But your note of caution is much appreciated. 🙏

I found that for outdoors try promote a beneficial insect habitat for instance i know that the green lace wings love mint they all over it's not an end all by no means but it does reduce The pressure from the bad bug's maybe next season get a small garden for beneficial insect habitat that's what i do and it really does minimize the bug pressure on my plants ✌️

So for me, the overgrowth of mites had to go. The sun, wind, rain and time should take care of any residues, and if any residue remains then hopefully it will fall well below any toxic health threshold and I can just continue living.
I didn't mean to say anything related to neem oil's health issues from inhaling (might be fine!), just that whatever studies they've done are probably not on that method.
maybe next season get a small garden for beneficial insect habitat
Maybe he could put those window boxes to good use next summer! :)

I found that for outdoors try promote a beneficial insect habitat for instance i know that the green lace wings love mint they all over it's not an end all by no means but it does reduce The pressure from the bad bug's maybe next season get a small garden for beneficial insect habitat that's what i do and it really does minimize the bug pressure on my plants ✌️
I think that occurs already to some extent because the plants being outdoors are available for all types of insects to land on, and they do, so yes at times I see predator insects like paper wasps and praying mantis on them. When all things are in balance the bad bugs are generally kept in check. But the surface temperature of the balcony's stone tiles can be over 50C/122F in summer and if the plants become droughted either intentionally or because I haven't watered in a long while, that stress probably allows an unwanted imbalance of pest insects to develop.

BTW, a couple days ago I caught sight of some good (feathery) predators, 2 small silvereyes were flittering about the branches of the Mulanje Sherbert. I would have loved to have got a photo but they are too shy, a picture of a silvereye here.
Ew I haven't heard of anyone combusting in quite a while. What a vivid unpleasant memory.
It certainly is Jiggi. Altho I moved to vaping over a dozen years ago, from time to time I fail to hear the click and cremate my dynavap's bowl :lot-o-toke:
I didn't mean to say anything related to neem oil's health issues from inhaling (might be fine!), just that whatever studies they've done are probably not on that method.
Yes, there's a real dearth of studies using real vapers as subjects. ;)
Maybe he could put those window boxes to good use next summer! :)
After several years of trying to utilise those balcony planters with different herbs as a stealth screen, it has only been the Thyme that has consistently survived the harsh heat. :)

Back
Top Bottom