Stunger's Last Stand: Banned To The Balcony!

Documenting my own attempt at Tangwena style Malawi cobbing - Sweating and the beginning of ferment

These past months I have spent considerable time reading thru our own 420mag thread on cobbing and also Tangwena's original thread on another site. It has been great because after reading so many accounts of the experiences of other 'cobbers' I feel almost as if I have already had the experience. Yesterday I made an attempt to post how I saw the process of cobbing from all this reading. Today I want to make a post to document my beginning attempt at cobbing. I will try to make it detailed enough to share with others who may want to try this, as I would be lost if it wasn't for the shared experiences by all the other good folk before me!

Bud drying preparation

Based on Tangwena's help and the shared experiences of many others I will be attempting to create a 'golden' cure, which is said to be more aromatic and terpy. This is when the coloration of the cob takes on a golden appearance after fermenting/curing. Greater initial moisture content in the buds and hotter longer sweat stages will usually result in darker cobs.

I am using roughly half of my harvest (give or take) to make the cobs, what I don't use for cobs I will leave on the plant for a continued slow dry and eventual jarring of the buds.

I have chosen to begin preparing my buds after they have had 4 days whole plant drying. At the completion of 4 days drying I then trimmed roughly 4oz from each plant, de-steming them into budlets which I kept in a brown paper bag for 1 more day. Trimming into budlets would result in faster drying, similar to when buds are cut and hungfor drying they will dry quicker and for making cobs they may only require drying for 1-2 days prior, so whole plant drying is slower.

Choosing the time for when your buds are ready to begin cobbing is all relative to how quickly your buds dry, how low or high the RH of your drying environment is, etc. So judging on what I had read, my drying consisted of 4 days whole plant drying + 1 day trimmed & de-stemmed in a brown paper bag.

Making the cobs

A sushi rolling mat is a very useful help, I borrowed the wife's and put it in a plastic bag to avoid getting into trouble if I scented it with bud smell!

I will use about 4oz of trimmed buds from each plant to make two cobs each.

Traditionally the cobs would have been wrapped in something like maize/corn husks. If I had saved some from what I grew in the garden over summer I would have used them, but next time! Instead I have used what in NZ we know as baking paper and once wrapped I will be tying them tightly with twine. Because I will be vac sealing these, it isn't necessary to wrap and tie the cobs but I did so as I wanted to get a smoother finish to their surface before unwrapping and re-vac sealing them. When vac sealed without being wrapped, changes in coloration can be observed. But regular unsealing should be carried out in the fermenting/curing process so the smell can be checked for readiness, where once achieved, the cob can be dried and move to the ageing stage.

The sushi roller in a plastic bag with some baking paper and twine for wrapping the rolled cobs

About 2oz of 5 day old buds from the Godfather OG ready for rolling

Buds are rolled and tightly compressed

The first 2 Godfather OG cobs wrapped and tied tightly

5 day old Mango Sherbert buds rolled and ready for wrapping

2oz of 5 day old Strawberry Cough buds ready for rolling into a second cob

Almost 12oz of cobs wrapped and tied!

Cobs getting vac sealed

The Sweating stage

Plan 'A' was to use a large thermos flask to do a 12 hour sweat. Unfortunately upon retrieving it for use I found it was too small to fit the cobs in. So as a plan 'B', I placed the wrapped/tied & vac sealed cobs into a large pot and after weighting them down I covered with hot water. I started this about 11pm at night and topped up with more hot water 1.5 hours later. By the morning the water temperature was barely warm, so during the day I continued emptying some of the cooled water and topping up with more hot water. So my Sweating stage had several 'hot peaks' and cooled off in between. I tried to check the temperature of the water but the thermometer didn't work, but I estimate the top up temperatures to be maybe 42C to 45C, which of course cooled, probably down to 30C or less.

So, although I kept the cobs in the pot of replenished hot water for 24 hours, due to the cooling off between top ups, I would suggest that the sweating time was perhaps closer to 12 hours over all for practical purposes.

Appearance of the vac sealed cobs after the Sweat stage

At the end of the Sweat stage, the cobs still appeared tightly wrapped and with no obvious sweating, which is roughly what I was expecting because I started with moist but drier buds to aim for a 'golden' cure. I could see thru the vac-seal plastic that the baking paper looked damp, but the vac-seal bag was clear of any obvious condensation.

At this stage if the vac-sealed cobs show vapour expansion (i.e. they no longer have a shrink vac sealed appearance) and condensation is seen, then the cobs would ideally then be removed and a paper towel used to dry the surface, or the cobs would be left out to dry for an hour or two before re-vac sealing. This wasn't necessary due to the drier level of the buds going into the cobbing.

The Ferment Cure stage

At this stage we try to leave the cobs in a steady warm environment for 1 to several weeks. I have chosen to leave them wrapped up in a bag for some thermal uniformity, while they sit on top of the stereo amp where the temperature is around a steady 28C.

Inspecting the cobs

After 2 days of the cobs sitting on the stereo amp I opened them to take a look at their progress.

They appear to me to be going to plan. Their smell is a nice terpy curing type smell. They feel internally moist and are 'bendy' but dry on the surface.

Re-vac sealing after inspection
I then re-vac sealed them without further wrapping & tying, so any further colour changes could be observed without opening the vac seal bags. At this point I will continue to let them ferment/cure at 28C and I will open them up approximately weekly to 'smell check' their progress. The expectation is that the ferment/curing stage will last for 3 or 4 weeks before moving to the ageing stage.

So that brings me up to date. I hope this can be useful to someone and it isn't too cumbersome to read through.

Keep well and may you be enjoying some lovely buds while you do so! :ganjamon:
Thanks for the info very interesting!

10 day Cob update

I managed to find time today in daylight to open, photograph, check and re vac seal the cobs because as noted yesterday they have shrunk a little which had created a little air gap in the vac seal packets.

At this point they have had 1 day in the sweat stage, and 9 days kept warm at about 28C for the ferment stage that they are still currently in. These are my very first cobs so I don't have prior experience to compare them to, the smell is 'sweetish'. I am expecting to keep them in the ferment stage for another 1 - 3 weeks, before letting them dry for a day or two and then age/cure after re-vac sealing. I will look to open and re-check them in about a week.

This first pic is the cobs at 3 days old for comparison

Today's pic, cobs are 10 days old

Today's close up pic

They seem to be going to plan.

Be well folks! :hookah:

A further update on the observation of the cobs at 10 days old

I am mentioning this as I missed it earlier when I opened the cobs and re-vac sealed them. They were open for maybe 15 minutes before being resealed and then taken out of the garage to be returned to their place of ferment, on top of the stereo amp.

About an hour after this, I had to go out and I was surprised on opening the garage door to instantly smell a faint terpy smell lingering in the garage air that I hadn't picked up when I smelt the cobs by putting my hooter to them earlier, initially I only smelt a warm sweetish smell not much more. I was a little disappointed at the time that the smell wasn't terpy, but somehow on initially opening the bag and smelling I didn't pick this up, so I am pleased now that there is some 'terpiness' being given off!

Anyway, I expect to re-open them in about a week to check on their progress. :surf:

Thanks for the info very interesting!
Yes, that's what I thought when I first read about it. The reports of cobbing sounded great, and with ageing not on my side it is of interest to me to investigate it's potential to be taken as an chewed raw edible instead of entering the body via the lungs, as quarter of a gram (0.25g) can be chewed raw for apparently great effects. Some of those more experienced like Tangwena and Sue, have even reduced their chewed amounts down to as little as 0.1g, there is no decarbing of the bud or cob required.

Anyway glad you found it of interest, thanks for dropping by! :)

I was surprised on opening the garage door to instantly smell a faint terpy smell lingering in the garage air that I hadn't picked up when I smelt the cobs by putting my hooter to them earlier,
For those with professional noses I'm sure that's not surprising, but I'm always surprised at how different the flowers smell when you open the jar from when you stick your nose in it!

For those with professional noses I'm sure that's not surprising, but I'm always surprised at how different the flowers smell when you open the jar from when you stick your nose in it!
I found something of this nature last year when I had hung 3 plants to dry in the studio. When walking towards the studio, say 20 feet away, I could smell this very intense focused terpene smell, but when I entered the studio it just smelt like hay. But after time all Chlorophyll/hay smell dissipates and the underlying terpene smell becomes apparent. It almost seemed to sit like a thermocline underneath the hay smell!

10 day Cob update

I managed to find time today in daylight to open, photograph, check and re vac seal the cobs because as noted yesterday they have shrunk a little which had created a little air gap in the vac seal packets.

At this point they have had 1 day in the sweat stage, and 9 days kept warm at about 28C for the ferment stage that they are still currently in. These are my very first cobs so I don't have prior experience to compare them to, the smell is 'sweetish'. I am expecting to keep them in the ferment stage for another 1 - 3 weeks, before letting them dry for a day or two and then age/cure after re-vac sealing. I will look to open and re-check them in about a week.

This first pic is the cobs at 3 days old for comparison

Today's pic, cobs are 10 days old

Today's close up pic

They seem to be going to plan.

Be well folks! :hookah:
They’re looking fantastic. Great to see the progress

Those cobs looks great. Thanks for documenting it bro. Something that I will def be looking into doing the near future. Love your journal!

They’re looking fantastic. Great to see the progress
Thanks Zeb
Those cobs looks great. Thanks for documenting it bro. Something that I will def be looking into doing the near future. Love your journal!
Thanks Skottel, I have put off investigating cobbing in the past due to the amount of buds needed and the concern of screwing it up. But my last 2 harvests have been plentiful enough to allow me to give it a go.
Beautiful product, Stunger. They look like cigars. So, you chew it? And it needs no decarb? Way wonderful!
Thanks Emeraldo. Yes cobbed buds can be chewed, apparently only needing a very small amount, quarter of gram, but Tangwena and Sweet Sue who have lots of experience said that they found as little as just 0.1g to be a good amount to chew. Of course you can grind it up and vape or smoke it, or infuse it in oil and make edibles too, but I haven't got to that stage yet!

Cobbing update - 19 days old

So my cobs are now 19 days old and still in the ferment stage sitting on the stereo amp keeping to a warm 28C.

Today I opened them up to inspect them, having last done so when they were 10 days old. Pleasingly, there is zero sign of mold, they seem to be curing as expected from this Malawi cob curing approach

Visually they have shrunk a little more and the vac seal packs had become a little 'roomy' from the shrink vac seal they had when last opened and resealed 9 days ago. There are some fine bloom crystals on the surface of all of them in a very minor way.

Smell, is a warm sweetness with an underlying terp smell. They are surface dry but have a sense of warm humidity to them so they still have a little bit of 'bendy' give to them, they are not rigid.

These pics are taken under natural light without flash. The camera decides on colour weighting so some differences between pics.

The 6 cobs together

Mango Sherbert & close up

Godfather OG & close up

Strawberry Cough & close up

At this point I will look to continue to keep them in the ferment stage for a full month, so I will re-open them again in another week or 2, which at that stage I will let them dry out further before re-vac sealing for ageing, but probably not before slicing off a sample to evaluate. Other than that the cob experiment appears to be going well.

Next week I will try to finish trimming the remainder of the buds left on the whole plants still drying, and then work out how many more jars I need to purchase.:hmmmm:

Be well folks.:hookah:

Back
Top Bottom