Stunger's Organic Balcony: Growing Daughters Of Mulanje: Watering Via Root Aeration Chambers

Thanks GDB! You are quite right, this grow I will have to be stricter than ever to ensure that the plants don't grow too high where they become visible to neighbours
Couldn't you hang some window boxes from the top rail of your balcony enclosure and grow some tallish flowers in them? That would give you some extra seasonal height to play with and the sun should still be high enough in the sky that it would still get to the main plants.

For next year's grow I am thinking -- based on the "surprise males" I found among the females this year -- it is wiser to do some light dep when the plants are around 6-8 weeks old, just for two weeks, long enough to let them flower and actually reveal gender. Then I know based on reliable info not on guessing! Then I'll let the females re-veg.
Thanks, I know that growers with lights do great with getting the plants or clones to reveal their genders by manipulating the lighting, but for me it is too much hassle. I feel that I will be able to soon make a gender determination based on the early signs at the nodes, I am not planning on waiting for full-on pistils and balls to show themselves. Any males, I want them off the balcony ASAP so I can have more room for the girls and so I don't waste unnecessary time on training males.
Couldn't you hang some window boxes from the top rail of your balcony enclosure and grow some tallish flowers in them? That would give you some extra seasonal height to play with and the sun should still be high enough in the sky that it would still get to the main plants.
Cheers, I do have several balcony rail planter boxes in place that have some Thyme, Mint and Parsley in them. If I do a good job with training I should be able to keep them safe and out of view (should). I am reluctant to put in flowers or anything too attractive as I don't want any reason for neighbours eyes to alight on my balcony.

Hi Stunger :)

Your team looks schmickey doo bruv! Vegging is my favourite part of growing, it really is. Your plants look so healthy and full of promise. They all look so happy together :)

... too much hassle...
I'll attach a light-proof tarp to an eve over the shady spot where I keep the seedlings cool on hot afternoons, and lower it every day around 4 pm so the plants are in an enclosed shaded area. Then, after dark or next morning, I'll bend over and lift it back up. It's a tiny detail that takes two weeks, but at that point there's no more risk of surprises. Regular seeds come in two genders and are a hassle for that reason. Makes you appreciate feminized seeds hmmm.

I'll attach a light-proof tarp to an eve over the shady spot where I keep the seedlings cool on hot afternoons, and lower it every day around 4 pm so the plants are in an enclosed shaded area. Then, after dark or next morning, I'll bend over and lift it back up. It's a tiny detail that takes two weeks, but at that point there's no more risk of surprises. Regular seeds come in two genders and are a hassle for that reason. Makes you appreciate feminized seeds hmmm.
Thanks Emeraldo, I will see how I go in the next 2 or 3 weeks. If by then I can't tell the girls from the boys, I may have to reconsider this approach next time.

But I thought to do this it would need complete darkness. I have never grown with lights, but I have read many times where indoor growers have found that their plants have hermied when there is some light leak in the tent. I had assumed when reducing light hours to force an early gender reveal it would similarly require complete darkness, but maybe not? I can imagine how one could dramatically reduce the light with a tarp as you describe, but I question if that is enough, or does it not have to be full/complete darkness? I'd always assumed it needed full darkness so for that I knew that would be too tricky for me on the balcony especially with wind being present, a partial light reduction would be easier, somewhat. But we'll see what the next 2 or 3 weeks bring!

Hi Stunger :)

Your team looks schmickey doo bruv! Vegging is my favourite part of growing, it really is. Your plants look so healthy and full of promise. They all look so happy together :)
Thanks Tra! They're all a nice healthy shade of green currently, and they're all are starting to crank up their growth too.

Thanks Emeraldo, I will see how I go in the next 2 or 3 weeks. If by then I can't tell the girls from the boys, I may have to reconsider this approach next time.

But I thought to do this it would need complete darkness. I have never grown with lights, but I have read many times where indoor growers have found that their plants have hermied when there is some light leak in the tent. I had assumed when reducing light hours to force an early gender reveal it would similarly require complete darkness, but maybe not? I can imagine how one could dramatically reduce the light with a tarp as you describe, but I question if that is enough, or does it not have to be full/complete darkness? I'd always assumed it needed full darkness so for that I knew that would be too tricky for me on the balcony especially with wind being present, a partial light reduction would be easier, somewhat. But we'll see what the next 2 or 3 weeks bring!
Ah yes, the light leak in the flowering tent -- it is a big issue for indoor growers. And with all the indoor growers writing about hermie-causing light leaks, it seems logical somehow to think that applies to outdoor growing.

But I have to say: Outdoors this is definitely not an issue. You don't have to achieve total darkness for 12+ hours to get your plants to show gender. Lengthening the natural meteorological dark period by 4 hours will kick start flowering. For example in late June, "night" here is from 10 pm to 5 am, so I'll put up the tarp at 5 pm, and it's not total darkness but a massive reduction in the amount of light, to trigger the flowering response. After gender is shown, I'll stop the light dep and the plants will revert to veg. This involves a little lost veg time, but it's perfectly safe. The moon and the stars, and the far-off street lamp and traffic lights have not caused hermies in my experience. Having 3 surprise males in the 10-plant "all female" grow caused me some stress over this past summer, so am going to opt for certainty next round.

That's impressive, and good to know that outdoor grown are more resilient but reactive to reduced light hours for determining their gender in that way.

I'll stick with looking closely in the next couple of weeks, that's whenabouts I noticed last year of which way their genders were leaning (about mid June in your area). I have had a few grows now of regular seeds and I am starting to get a 'feel' for them (with feminised you simply expect it'll be female and never look until you see pistils). If I was growing indoors then I'd no doubt be cloning and doing all that gender checking stuff with lights. But growing regulars and watching the changes to the gender structure, it does become apparent (at least it seemed to) whether it will be a male or female, but to do that it requires real good vision/closeups.

The trouble with growing outdoors, it is always a year between grows. The memory does get rusty. I found that the plants that grew balls always began with a 'crab claw' appearance to their gender structures. I'm not looking for pollen this year, so if I see those telltale signs then I'll be chopping them out and freeing some space up. If I am right, those remaining will be females, if not, it's back to the drawing board!

I call gender bias jkn... Surely its the "sex" of the plant you guys :cheesygrinsmiley: (soz, couldn't help myself and also stand to be corrected)

I can't believe how they've grown in this short time Stunger. They look robust and verdant! Good luck with the sexing ♂️♀️ It'll be good to see close ups when you start seeing them going through puberty :)

I can't believe how they've grown in this short time Stunger. They look robust and verdant! Good luck with the sexing ♂️♀️ It'll be good to see close ups when you start seeing them going through puberty :)
Thanks Carmen, these days I need closeup pics taken, it's the only way I can see them, once upon a time... :smokin:
So any pics I take that give reason to make a call, I'll post up!

...I'll stick with looking closely in the next couple of weeks, that's whenabouts I noticed last year of which way their genders were leaning (about mid June in your area). ...But growing regulars and watching the changes to the gender structure, it does become apparent (at least it seemed to) whether it will be a male or female, but to do that it requires real good vision/closeups.

... I found that the plants that grew balls always began with a 'crab claw' appearance to their gender structures. I'm not looking for pollen this year, so if I see those telltale signs then I'll be chopping them out and freeing some space up. If I am right, those remaining will be females, if not, it's back to the drawing board!
I agree that watching the gender structures works well much of the time, particularly with earlier-flowering strains, indicas, hybrids. But it can get tricky with late-flowering tropical sativas like the ones you are growing, my friend. On those, I'll take certainty over guessing, I guess. Looking forward to your closeups. Your plants are looking healthy!

Hi stunger. Sorry I'm late to this grow! Those girls look super bushy (and sativas yet!) and healthy. It's going to be an inevitable jungle before long. What an interesting choice of strains. I'm in for the remainder.
Stay stoneder!

Looking good :popcorn:
Thanks Joe!
Hi stunger. Sorry I'm late to this grow! Those girls look super bushy (and sativas yet!) and healthy. It's going to be an inevitable jungle before long. What an interesting choice of strains. I'm in for the remainder.
Stay stoneder!
Cheers Fred! Yep, they're already getting away on me, managed to terminally snap 2 branches when training today!

Update - Training time

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! It has been about 2 months since they broke the soil. They're starting to motor now.

The lineup

Further training was carried out. Already I have managed to snap a couple of branches, darn it all. The missus came back early from her shopping while I had a low stool that I am not supposed to be using on the balcony, I find it helps give a little comfort when hunched over the plants, as it is a pain if suddenly a leg cramp comes on. So she came back a bit early and I kind of rushed it, but thankfully she didn't realise I was 'breaking the rules'.

Ouch and Damn and Grrrr... :lot-o-toke:

That was one of two decent branch ends that got snapped this morning while carrying out some training.

I have been utilising @Carcass's carhook approach for those branches that are over the middle of the pots. There are so many shoots that need to be restrained that I thought, hey I can make a double hook rather than shove yet another 'prong' into the soil.

Feeding the Chooks

To the Aussies, it might not be what you think! :laugh:

I started off on a big old weather battered fan leaf, and then followed on with one of the broken off branches. It's all the cycle of life, they love their 'salad greens', their poop goes into the compost bin and then gets returned to nourish the soil.

Anyway folks, thanks for swinging by, I hope your own gardens are going great, all the best :ganjamon:

That double hook is a darn good idea, Stunger!
Ouch and Damn and Grrrr... :lot-o-toke:
Don't ya just hate that?
They snap off sooo easily at that age...but, like Shed said, you won't even be able to find the broken one in a month or so...

The plants are looking good!
No girl (or boy) parts showing up yet?

Looking good Stunger. :)

I too think the double hook is a great idea! And I had no idea that chickens liked greens. (I was raised in the city.)

Oof on the breaks but nice on the beaks!

You won't even notice those are gone by the time you get to flower, especially if they turn out to be males. ;)

The plants are looking lovely as usual. :welldone:
Thanks Shed! It would be amazing to do a run without any training damage, I expect a few breaks.
That double hook is a darn good idea, Stunger!
Don't ya just hate that?
They snap off sooo easily at that age...but, like Shed said, you won't even be able to find the broken one in a month or so...

The plants are looking good!
No girl (or boy) parts showing up yet?
Cheers Carcass, yip seemingly bending fine then suddenly a crisp clean snap. But all good.
I have done a preliminary run at taking node closeups, but will do another in a few days to check on the signs!
Looking good Stunger. :)

I too think the double hook is a great idea! And I had no idea that chickens liked greens. (I was raised in the city.)
Thanks GDB! Chicken love their greens, gives them nice deep coloured yokes.
They really are coming along Stunger. Sorry about the breakages. The chooks look like happy birds 🐔
Cheers Carmen! The chooks are still only young birds but they are happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom