Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

The only good WPM is dead WPM.
When I notice a patch I’ll spray and then increase my vigilance for a few days - taking suspects out of the flower room and visually inspecting each plant thoroughly. Usually two or three treatments a few days apart will get rid of it. I’m too lazy/busy to use it as a preventative. As a treatment it’s a flipping shedsend godsend I tell ya!

So long as you do a budwash at harvest she’ll be Jake.
Hi @DonkeyDick...hey I have a question for you if you don't mind? I was wondering what your take is on budwashing tent grow buds, assuming the plants had no bug issues start to finish? Do you think it would make as much a taste and pleasure to smoke difference as washing outdoor buds does? I have yet to bud wash an indoor plant is why I ask.

Hi @DonkeyDick...hey I have a question for you if you don't mind? I was wondering what your take is on budwashing tent grow buds, assuming the plants had no bug issues start to finish? Do you think it would make as much a taste and pleasure to smoke difference as washing outdoor buds does? I have yet to bud wash an indoor plant is why I ask.

It makes the world of difference. You’re in for a happy surprise when you try it.
Dried buds feel fresh(er) - soft and fluffy, and they are as full of flavour as they can be.

I do mine. With the amount of crap I take off my fan and filter, it confirms there is plenty of stuff floating around in the air that I don't care to ingest.

It’s crazy what falls out of thin air in the garden. I figure even if some of the stickiest bits don’t give up all their dog hair at least I can make sure the dog hair is clean ;)

Seriously though the wash buckets can be absolutely disgusting. Not always, but often enough to be compelling.

Update - Mango Sherbert has been harvested

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! I was going to give her the 'chop' next week, but the weather forecast has gone from mostly fine dry days ahead, to rainy ones now being forecast, WTH? So today was as good a day as any to give her the 'chop'. In my last post I tried to get some trichome closeups to establish the state of play, I felt there is about 5% amber but it is hard to tell as there can seem more or less depending where you are looking.

A few random pics on her last day.

Some pics of a stem taken with flash

The back side of a sugar leaf

Whole plant drying

I will follow this shortly with an update on the 2 sativas who remain as balcony girls.

:ganjamon:

Update on the 2 Sativas

Greetings 420 enthusiasts! Now that the Mango Sherbert has gone, I can focus on the 2 remaining plants, both of which I am aiming to harvest in about 2-3 weeks time.

Now the Mango Sherbert is clear from the balcony, there is a lot more space to manoeuvre around the plants, and turn them around for maintenance. Next grow I intend to prune off all weak growth, and also not LST, but I think instead top, whether mainline, quad line or hexline, but LST I found a struggle for these 2, as their mainstems are a bit long to try and continually bend around.

Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras

This plant more than the others has lost a fair bit of her buds to I guess caterpillar damage followed by bud rot. I have pruned off a bunch unfortunately. But she does have big thick bats that allow the damp humidity that mould spores like once caterpillars have done the initial damage.

But anyway, I am rapt to have this strain to try out and see how she goes. So far it is looking a tricky choice for my environment. However, I feel if she hadn't got insect damage then she wouldn't have any bud rot, because those buds of her's that have been undamaged by pests have not had any problems with rain or rot. It is just dealing with the pests, without them the weather conditions are ok.

It is shame to lose some of her buds, but she will still produce sufficient for me to have a very good evaluation and test of her delights. Already I have scissor chopped and quick dried some and found it to be a very nice high, cerebral and blissful.

I found several seeds on the balcony tiles that must have fell out of the chopped off pieces of rot affected buds. I couldn't be sure which plants they were from so I threw them on the lawn. There should be plenty of seeds for me to harvest where I can accurately place their parentage.

Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje

I feel she might be the 'bolter'. I haven't yet tried any early tester of her buds yet. But the reputation of Malawi is of high potency, and she is looking very nice and frosty.

The other observation is, that she doesn't appear to have any pest damage on her. I don't know if that means she is bloody fantastic for my environment, or just that the other 2 plants were favoured as being more tasty by the pests.

But if she proves to provide a wonderful high, then I feel that she may provide some great natural genetics for my location. If that is the case I will look to bred with her on a future grow.

Anyway, thanks for dropping by. Keep safe and well, and wishing you green dank sticky gardens! :ganjamon:

Hey fella, I posted up before the second update of the remaining girls (who are looking the goods too).

I reckon your spot on with looking to top your way to a shape, or build bigger balcony surrounds haha!

I have seen the low and wide work beautifully in outdoors. Not sure if I had said it here or elsewhere, but Old Mick was ahead of the curve in the late 90s.

Everyone was growing huge tree like plants (I reckon if I dug through some old pics of my mate Johnny he had like a 14 footer) and in my last outdoors back then I had a cpl at 8 maybe over 9ft. All sativa giants, was the best for the climate for veg and early flower. But Mick grew them half that size, which opened my eyes, and really pushed Indica breeding into his genetics.

There were several distinct advantages. Most people would easily look over the top of them, much like your height restriction. His low/wide meant it was easy to access the top colas. Easy to tarp over for bad weather or push earlier into flower. They held under the prevailing winds better, and didnt disperse so much smell. And his canopy was always even. Granted he used wiring like a scrog set up to contain them, and super crop them if they got a bit long supported on the wires . Kinda genius though really. Felt like he kind of was pioneering what was to come, where we find ourselves now.

Anyhow the point is low and wide is very viable, and if you top them even a couple times for a Sept to Jan veg they will recover and be vigorous given that time frame. Youve got excellent data for your dates and cycles should you go down that road.

Congratulations on the harvest, that sugar leaf shot is amazing.:welldone:

Congrats on your harvest Stunger. Also sorry about that bit of bud rot on your Honduras plant. I am interested in why you hang the whole plant to dry when you harvest.

Harvest day mate, Woohoo! You should be well proud, she does look a real f**king treat. Top shelf.

Well done bro, well done.
Thanks DV8! It has been been nice just getting safely to harvest.
You're gonna have to closely inspect that ladder when you take her down. :)

#LeaveNoRosinBehind

:thumb:
Cheers Azi!
I reckon your spot on with looking to top your way to a shape, or build bigger balcony surrounds haha!
Last year's grow was more 'orderly', but the trouble with going low and out, is the canopies get really wide. There is a compromise whatever you do.
Here we go now! Finally one sees the checkered flag! And a beauty you've made of her! :high-five:
Thanks very much Otter!
Congratulations on the harvest, that sugar leaf shot is amazing.:welldone:
Thanks LK! The droughted plant definitely seemed to generate more trikes on both sides of the sugar leaves.
Congrats on your harvest Stunger. Also sorry about that bit of bud rot on your Honduras plant. I am interested in why you hang the whole plant to dry when you harvest.
Thanks Carmen! I have found whole plant drying works well for me in my conditions/environment. Before doing that, I was tending to under dry or over dry the chopped buds/colas, and forgetting to burp the jars. I chopped them with some of the main roots to encourage a slow whole plant dry.
:party::hippy::snowboating::cheer::bravo:
Way to grow, Koro
Thanks DD!
As always, sad to see the plant come down, but excited to see big sticky buds.
Thanks Joe, yep there is a always bit of Yin/Yang in harvest time, a relief to get there but sad to end.

The 1% citric acid spray is to kill actual PM and may need to be sprayed on an ongoing basis (because it's not a preventative), but I can tell you it has saved many of my harvests.
Little side note...a certain company uses Citric Acid as a systemic prevention. Apparently, it can be utilized by the plant via roots and foliar adsorption to build armor against diseases. Not sure how the DIY recipe holds up against the commercial version, but figured I'd at least let folks know that there is a commercial product available. It's pricey but I know a few that sweat by it. I used it during my GSC indoor grow. I used it occasionally as a foliar for my outdoor garden as well. It's pricey though so I focused on using it for the indoor instead.
I do mine. With the amount of crap I take off my fan and filter, it confirms there is plenty of stuff floating around in the air that I don't care to ingest.
Seriously though the wash buckets can be absolutely disgusting. Not always, but often enough to be compelling.
Completely agree. Only have 1 indoor grow under my belt. With what is in the air naturally, was reason alone to give them a quick wash and rinse. Well worth the time and effort.

Whole plant drying

Mango Sherbert
Niiiiice!!! Congrats Stung! Quick ? You have this drying in darkness? Right?

So far it is looking a tricky choice for my environment.
Give some old school OG lineages a shot. The Florida and Coastal California growers really focused on genetics that could handle the late season humidity. Anything with a high % OG kush should be a good candidate for your environment.

However, I feel if she hadn't got insect damage then she wouldn't have any bud rot, because those buds of her's that have been undamaged by pests have not had any problems with rain or rot.
It may not be botrytis, but a different type of mold that doesn't spread. This other type of mold is caused by caterpillar fecal matter (just a guess). Obviously I can't be sure it isn't botrytis but it's just something I've noticed with my own plants and the caterpillar damage/mold damage to my plants this season. If it wasn't spreading then it's the other type of mold which so far I've been unable to identify but it's nowhere near as bad as botrytis because the damage stays "local".

Little side note...a certain company uses Citric Acid as a systemic prevention. Apparently, it can be utilized by the plant via roots and foliar adsorption to build armor against diseases. Not sure how the DIY recipe holds up against the commercial version, but figured I'd at least let folks know that there is a commercial product available. It's pricey but I know a few that sweat by it. I used it during my GSC indoor grow. I used it occasionally as a foliar for my outdoor garden as well. It's pricey though so I focused on using it for the indoor instead.
Cheers BA, I'll be bearing that in mind as I assemble my brain in the off season for the next grow!
Niiiiice!!! Congrats Stung! Quick ? You have this drying in darkness? Right?
I have shut all the curtains so it isn't pitch black, but as close as I can get.
Give some old school OG lineages a shot. The Florida and Coastal California growers really focused on genetics that could handle the late season humidity. Anything with a high % OG kush should be a good candidate for your environment.
That's a good point for likely candidates.
It may not be botrytis, but a different type of mold that doesn't spread. This other type of mold is caused by caterpillar fecal matter (just a guess). Obviously I can't be sure it isn't botrytis but it's just something I've noticed with my own plants and the caterpillar damage/mold damage to my plants this season. If it wasn't spreading then it's the other type of mold which so far I've been unable to identify but it's nowhere near as bad as botrytis because the damage stays "local".
Cheers Phil, quite possibly my bits of bud rot aren't botrytis, as it does stay local and if where there's no caterpillar damage, no mold occurs. I feel the mostly ever present wind helps.

Cheers Phil, quite possibly my bits of bud rot aren't botrytis, as it does stay local and if where there's no caterpillar damage, no mold occurs. I feel the mostly ever present wind helps.
Huh?! I never really thought of it that way. I know caterpillar shit creates a horrible bud, and fast! But I think you may be onto something there. Because it does not tend to spread like botrytis. So if the caterpillar damage and their excrement, kill the flower, I wonder what kind of mold it is. Maybe it is not a mold?! As soon as they start chomping on the stem, the flower starts to die. Takes about 2-3 days and your flower is a nice toasty brown. So it would be some sort of necrosis, but maybe not mold at all? :hmmmm: :hmmmm:

I don't have anywhere near enough brain cells to properly process this theory, but it makes sense that it doesn't spread like mold spores would. If it was mold...it would spread. Wouldn't matter what species it is...right? Gummy and munchies are setting in. I have to go do some research.

My region gets real wet and humid last half of bloom so the plants never do finish due to having to pull early. The usual plan of battle is to let em go for as long as possible until losses to bud rot become too heavy. Under those circumstances there is no point in looking for amber since the plants will never make it to the finish line anyway.

The more sun the denser the buds, the less sun the lighter and fluffier the buds. Basically I just go by looks and how it smokes.
Can’t you run two auto cycles in a season? My preference is better control with photos but I’ve had great results indoors with excellent fast autos. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom