Super Lemon Haze DWC 210W LED ScrOG

Little hungry but looking good I have 6 under my LED & they are exploding!:thumb:

Yeah, she was in need of some nutes, didn't like 10 days without a res change. I did add some more nutes over that period but I think she just hoovered up all the N! She's fine now and has greened up nicely and is handling the higher EC well, she's running at 1.6 now.

I'm loving the led. No heat issues and the plants seem to do really well under them. They're definitely the way forwards if you can't lose the heat easily

The girl is looking awesome Knight, how big is your screen?
:goodjob:

Thanks stealth. The screen is 40cm x 56cm (so around 2sq ft give or take a bit) and the squares are 2" each. I'd love a larger space, but at the same time it's big enough to give me plenty for personal and I don't really need the headache and risk of having to sling it, plus if the shit does ever hit the fan the implications should hopefully be minimal on this size space with one plant. Fingers crossed!

Day 6 after I flipped to 12/12. She's greened up after her mild nute def and all seems good. She's filling the screen and I'm tucking back under and spreading her out daily. I'll keep tucking her under the screen for the time being and think by the weekend the screen will be getting full and then I can just let her grow up as the first pistils appear. From the last grow with this light (although it was a different strain) the stretch really kicked in around week 2 of 12/12 and the 1st to 2nd week of flower. Once pistils show I reckon I may have 1-2weeks before she properly shoots up and I find out whether or not the stretch will be an issue. She's a 9-10wk strain so things may happen a bit slower, we shall see. Some photos:

IMG_21855.JPG

IMG_21865.JPG

IMG_21873.JPG

IMG_21955.JPG

And some white balanced ones:
IMG_21946.JPG

IMG_21915.JPG

IMG_21905.JPG

I'll do a photo update at some point over the weekend - the screen's pretty much full now (day 9 of 12/12), though no pistils yet. I'm expecting her to show signs of flowering at some point next week or so, I don't think she's far off - the new growth on the tops is beginning to turn 'flowery'.

One slightly odd observation which I've not seen before - the EC's holding nicely as she drinks so the res level drops and the EC holds steady, but the pH is dropping daily from 5.8 to around 5/5.1 the following day when lights come on, much greater pH swings than I've ever seen before, even when the solution's been too hot. I top up with plain water which brings the pH up and brings the EC down, and then the following day the pH is back down to around 5 (ive calibrated the pH meter so its not dodgy pH readings).

I'm not too worried because all looks healthy but it is completely different behaviour to anything I've experienced before. It may just be how the Canna Aqua behaves, but as much as it's meant to be pH balanced, if it drops to 5 over a day I'm not that trusting in the pH stabilisation of Aqua to leave it at 5 when it's dropping that many points in 24 hours!

The only thing I can think of that may be causing it is that as she's nearing flower her nutrient needs have changed and she's sucking up a group of nutes in the Vega that are dropping the pH, or that she's bringing the pH down to increase uptake of a particular nute. But it's only Mn that gets taken up at lower pH, and 5 pretty much locks everything out you'd expect her to need. Weird - has anyone got any ideas?

I got that a lot with the last run in the DWC.... of course, once I got bad settling from Fox Farms as well, but I had that through the first half of flowering or so... then it leveled out. I just started PHing the res to 6.3 each day, the next day it would be down to around 5.3 and I'd do it again after refilling.

Thanks runewulf; yeah, I'm just resetting it daily. I'm just finding it a bit odd - I'm pretty tuned in with this system now and it's not behaved like this before. I think it's just the Canna Aqua behaving slightly differently (I've only used it in veg so far, so this is the first time I've transitioned / flowered with it). Can't say the Aqua is particularly pH balanced at the moment though, it's definitely needing pH adjustment, even if that adjustment is just topping up with some plain water. It's meant to swing within a range, that's fine, but when it drops to 5 I'm not confident enough in Aqua yet to leave it at 5 and hope it swings back within range and doesn't continue to drop!

Boooom... we have the solution, managed to dig this out from the Canna website:

"For use during growing phase and the first 1-3 weeks of the flowering phase. Switch to Aqua Flores from the moment that flowers start to form. (from 1 to 3 weeks of 12 hours of lighting or if the pH level of the water in circulation starts to drop below 5.0 - 5.2)"

So it's time to switch to the flowering nutes. That's my only criticism of Canna - you get different instructions depending where you read them on their products / website!

We're now day 11 from 12/12 and I've just done a res change and switched to the Flores nutes. The pH dropping to 5 was a signal to switch to the flowering nutes, so she's now EC 1.5 Aqua Flores. No pistils yet but she's near, and the screen has filled out really nicely over the last week or so. It's pretty much full, and with the switch to Flores it's just up from here; I'm not going to tuck her under the screen any more and from now she just grows up. Fingers crossed there won't be any major height issues when the stretch kicks in proper over the next week or two. Pretty happy with things so far - as she stretches I'll clear out the rest of the rest of the weak / wasted growth under the screen. Hopefully things should kick off shortly and we'll be getting some buds!

IMG_21964.JPG

IMG_21973.JPG

IMG_21984.JPG

IMG_21997.JPG

IMG_22006.JPG

Hey rune this guy green knight does great mini Scrog Dwc if you didn't already know and got great results with LED last run,fun to watch,

Thanks for the kind words bid, they're much appreciated mate.
It's a shame you've had such a run of bad luck with the hydro. I'm sure you'll find the issue and then everything will work out sweet.

My DWC is really simple: I bought a tote and cut a hole for a 3.5inch net pot to sit in without falling through. I germ the seeds in a little rock wool cube and that sits in a net pot surrounded with hydroton.
I fill the res up so the nute solution's about 0.5" from the bottom of the net pot and put an air stone in the res so lots f oxygen gets pumped in.
I did also have a pump which pumped nute solution up to the net pot but I've stopped that and taken it out because it wasn't necessary and you do get better and healthier root growth without it. Here a couple of photos that show the set up a bit:
IMG_080519.JPG

The tube you can see in this photo is from the pump but hadn't been used for a while, I'd just left it in. This is the Berry Bomb from my last grow - Once the roots hit the res they go crazy and don't mind being in the solution all the time, but the actual net pot root ball doesn't like getting too wet.
IMG_18445.JPG

A couple of tips I would give that I think if followed make DWC (and probably most hydro) really simple:
- Run DM Zone at all times. It's not expensive and covers your arse from all kinds of problems, including res temps getting too high and root rot. 4ml per 10l if your temps can creep up, otherwise just run it at 2ml per 10l. Great stuff
- pH is the single most important thing in my opinion. If the pH stays nicely around 5.8, or swings through the 5.2-6.2 range slowly then problems will be minimal. A lot of hydro problems are caused by pH, and wonky calibration on pH meters, or keeping it below 5.7 or above 6 at all times (which can cause lock outs if held there permanently) can be the reason for problems even when it seems like the pH is correct (I got a Mg def with a calibration out by 0.2 on my meter). Canna Aqua is very good for DWC and removes the pH worry, though to be fair for my size grow it's pretty low maintenance, but I imagine it can be a lot more difficult on larger grows.
- EC's important but not nearly as much as pH (most nute problems are pH related). I run my nutes so the EC stays constant as she drinks water (if the EC increases the solution's too hot, if the EC drops you can increase the nutes).

Keep persevering mate - you'll love it once it works!

I just like that statement +Reps

nice full screen!

Thanks crawdaddy, I'm pleased with how it's filled. Initially I was a bit worried I might have flipped too early but it's filled pretty well over the last week. Now I'm just keep the fingers crossed that height doesn't become an issue in a couple of weeks!

Wow! love the roots. Hope you don't mind some more company! Beautiful!

:adore:

Thanks ladyjane, gat to have you along - the more the merrier!

I just like that statement +Reps

Thanks for the reps scarfinger. PH is so important - I'm happy when it's where it should be and behaves how I expect as I know in general everything else will be fine and I won't get any nute deficiencies or lock outs. Was getting a bit concerned with the pH rapidly dropping to 5 with the Aqua Vega, but that should be fixed now with the switch to flowering nutes.

Back
Top Bottom