THC Bomb & WW/Skunk - CFL Hood/Veg HPS/Flower

By 'impactful' do you mean that nutrients are stronger in soil than an inert medium?

Yes, because soil has many nutes already, so adding 1/4 strength might equate to 100% strength in hydro.

I get what hes saying, a lockout is harder in hydro (unless you're stealthgrow and you put the ppm through the roof and don't go see her for a week :rofl:)

soil is more guessing and not checking/going back lol -_-

will you flower this damn thing yet haha

Also, KJC, since you mostly grow in soil, would you say that the 17.5ml rule is more applicable for mixing nutes to use in soil? When I had a soil plant, I remember that 1/4 strength was much more impactful in soil than it would be in inert medium.

I mostly grow in a soiless mixture of peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae. I am in agreement with TheCapn as far as not needing an exceedingly high ppm to properly grow cannabis. there is still a lot of ppm overhead for other bloom additives that could be used to make up the difference.

Update Flower Day 21, alive for 64 days,

This will be a fairly long update as many events have taken place and I'd like to spend a little time on each. To summarize real quick, I swapped my res and started bloom feed schedule. I cleaned up the underside as best as I can and took 4 clones. I got my mini fridge up and running and that's where the Monster Crop clone experiment will be. Had a few issues brewing a res on the side and next time I may want to let it mix for 72 hours.

For starters, I mixed the following regimen two days ago;

Flower_Regimen.JPG

Upon open shop when lights came on, I opened the res lid and saw there was not enough solution for a feed. In a wardrobe closet I had 5 gallons of nutrient solution mixing the above regimen together for a 2 day period. To my dismay, the pH of the new solution was 7.4. I quickly added 1.5ml of PH DOWN to see if was a fluke reading. 15 minutes later, that did nothing. I then added another 2ml of DOWN and waited another 15. That lowered it to 7.4, so I added yet another 2ml which then lowered to 6.8. Once more @ 1.5ml which got it down to 6.1/6.2. This took me past a scheduled feeding so I turned off the pump and continued dialing it in. Once at 6.1, I kicked on the pump for 10 minutes and washed the medium good with the new menu. The res climbed slightly after runoff stopped to 6.5. I added another 1.5ml of PH DOWN and left things be for a while. That I hope gets us back to around 6.0 or less.

Now the problem mixing a res for 48 hours is that I did get the PH swing right at about 36 hours, but I left it continue to climb to see if it slowed it's rate down at 48 hours, to which it did stay right about the same. Also, there was a massive amount of froth at the top of the res and underside of the lid. I scraped off the froth from the top of the waterline. The res also had quite a bit of floating gunk that is red/brown in color. I was gonna try to filter it out with a coffee filter, but then didn't b/c the filter may be too fine of a micron and screen off the nutes, plus filtering 5 gallons would take me about a week. I am convinced that the crud is either a Flora Blend byproduct or more likely, coagulated sugars from the organic CaMg+. By scraping off the froth, I lost 20 PPM which now has me at 530 PPM.

DSCF1735.JPG
DSCF17363.JPG
DSCF1734.JPG
DSCF17393.JPG
DSCF17411.JPG

In the last image above are the stones from the old and new res. the taller filthy one is from the new res

When pruning her under carriage, I managed to salvage about 7 or 8 decent branches to chose clones out of. What I most wanted was tight nodes and as minimal of flowering material as possible. After careful selection, I kept what I thought to be the best 4 and futher screened for bubbler candidates and rockwool candidates. I put the shortest ones in the bubbler and the taller more rigid ones in RW cubes. I want to test rooting times (if any) to see what works better for me. Any that survive will be made into gifts b/c I do not have the space to flower any as I will be germing both my Pineapple Chunk seeds tomorrow and the better of those 2 will end up in flower. The weaker I will try to keep in veg for as long as I can, or possibly further clone out in the future.

DSCF17453.JPG
DSCF17463.JPG
DSCF17482.JPG
DSCF17473.JPG
DSCF17504.JPG
DSCF17514.JPG
DSCF17524.JPG
DSCF17532.JPG

And finally, some before (taken yesterday) and after (taken after the pruning session).

Before;
DSCF17242.JPG
DSCF17272.JPG
DSCF17281.JPG
DSCF17292.JPG
DSCF17302.JPG
DSCF17321.JPG

The tallest branches in the back and from are both the bottom branches, 2 nodes below the split top.

After;
DSCF17543.JPG
DSCF17554.JPG
DSCF17564.JPG
DSCF17574.JPG
DSCF17583.JPG
DSCF17593.JPG

Edit - I removed as many small branches with poorly lit or stunted growth. I figured it best to leave as many of the leaves as I can to give the plant something to feed off if/when I improperly feed. Plus if it is later advised to remove those anyway, it's easier to take them off then to put them back on!

Love your Ez-Cloner!

Looks like you have some sort of fermenting fungus going in your res - almost like a wild yeast or something. Does it give off a foul odor or even smell a little like bad beer?

B-

No odors at all, just the cotton mouth-like frothy stuff and maybe the red/brown chunks in the water.

On a side note, I didn't secure the lights in the mini fridge good enough and the tape let go making the lights crash into the ez-cloner, and I'm pretty sure the smallest clone was killed :(

No odors at all, just the cotton mouth-like frothy stuff and maybe the red/brown chunks in the water.

On a side note, I didn't secure the lights in the mini fridge good enough and the tape let go making the lights crash into the ez-cloner, and I'm pretty sure the smallest clone was killed :(

No odor? Wow, then I'm thinking some sort of anaerobic bacteria....

Sorry about the death. Hopefully the other plants learned a lesson and will behave! You know that clone was asking for it! :)

B-

Many have told me that rooting flowering cuttings is basically next to impossible, or very difficult to say the least, so I don't have my hopes too high for these clones. I will do my best and try to make positive advances in the mini fridge when I can. My true focus however is to harvest this WW/Sk and begin plotting an RDWC for the Pineapple Chunk. As of now I have a 7.5 gallon res tank and a 5 gallon bucket to work with that would have to be bucket above the tank. Also need to fashion the guts from the mini fridge into a functioning chiller, hopefully I can get my hands on a thermostat to save on power consumption. Any ideas on how to build/configure are welcome.

Question for The Capn (or any who can answer)

Can rock wool cubes be used with R/DWC type grows? All RDWC grows I saw on YouTube use rocks, however the water level is always kept just below the net pots, so I was thinking RW could be used. I have no cubes and won't be able to afford none any time soon, was just wondering what I can possibly plan ahead for.

For all those who know me know I'm still Broke Ass Reg & broke as ever!

I'm liking the new screen name.

Another real quick DIY project that I think some of you CFL users might like. Soda can CFL reflector, not much else to say;

DSCF17623.JPG
DSCF17632.JPG
DSCF17641.JPG
DSCF17654.JPG

Thanks b.real. It's usually the cheapest ideas that turn into the best ones, and it don't get no cheaper than a tin can.

I also upgraded my DIY halo and outfitted it all the way around with micro sprayers. This ensures that the poked holes in the poly tubing does not close or become clogged with salts. If a sprayer clogs, I can swap it right out and clean the fowled one.

Res PH is pretty stable now. It settled to 6.3 after a day of recirculating. I added 1/2ml of PH DOWN and that brought it to the optimal range. PPM was severely low (about 430 PPM) so I added 1ml Gro, 2ml Micro and 3ml Bloom to the res and PPM climbed back up to around 575 which is perfect I think. Aside from that, I also pull an immature flower site that I discover in the underside of canopy. Leaving the leaves still attached to the plant is proving to be a pretty good decision. Leaves then slowly yellow and wither away which to me suggests that the plant is balancing itself out be ingesting nutes from those lower leaves as each of those leaves had it's corresponding flower sites removed, thus making it easy for the plant to repurpose those leaves.

DSCF17865.JPG

This halo works like a dream and evenly drenches.

If I don't get a chance to tomorrow, Merry Christmas to all, subscribed or not.

Edit - I also prepped 2 rock wool cubes and I am germinating 2 Barney's Pineapple Chunk seeds Capn Style. Hope they both arrive to signal the commemoration of the birth of the passover lamb. The plan is to grow them both DWC or hopefully RDWC in 5" net pots. Still have to see if that's feasible for me.

Merry Christmas canna!

Flower Day 25, Alive 75 days,

Flowering for me is going smooth for the most part. res PH only gets slightly outta whack, so only a little PH DOWN to bring it back in. She is eating her lower leaves that I left there and dropping them as she pleases. I wish I could do better with circulation, but repositioning my fans is about as fun as trying to give a bath to a cat. Stretch seems to be increasing. I tied down 2 fast growing branches 3 days ago and untied yesterday. they seemed to be staying low for the rest of yesterday, but they pulled a fast one during the wee hours. I'm interpreting that they got to talking, branch to branch about making another sprint to where the light just was. Problem was that some of the other branches heard the convo and followed suit. After about an hour of lights on tonight, leaves were showing signs of heat stress. I raised the light 5 more clicks on the ratchet hangers (maybe 1" total?) and tied down the 4 onerous branches and left a few of the taller ones on the outskirts to catch some rays being the farthest from the bulb. Bud development is nice, nodes are stacking great and beginning to merge. I hope these buds swell decently. The sativa in the plant is making it push up strong. I hope I can contain the stretch versus the heat zone of the bulb because I'm nearly out of rope on the ratchet hangers, and after that I will tie the hood to the eye hooks. If I am still losing that battle, I will super crop the highest branches to angle towards an opposing wall and support if needed. Temps at the canopy are 75º and RH is about 43%. When is a good time to stop adding humidity to the room?

None of the 4 clones are dead yet, so that's good news. I have makeshift domes on each of the planters. even got a tall CD case lid for the cloner. Maybe take it off for a few hours each day? I wont even bother looking for roots until new growth appears up top, but I do need to reconfigure that fridge a bit to accommodate better b/c there is not much room at all in there. I'm guessing it's a 1.1 cubic foot mini, or is that microwave dimensions? Whatever the case, I need more usability from it than what I'm getting. Can barely fit the butter bowl and 2 solo cups in it.

I think both beans opened, but I left them in to see if either root emerges. I may have accidentally cracked one or both, but I'm confident that mistake didn't happen. Once rooted, I will transplant them to awaiting cubes soaked in 1/2 gal distilled water with 4ml Flora Blend, 5ml Aqua Shield and 3 drops of Rapid Start. PH is fluctuating, so I add a few drops of DOWN each day to slowly bring it down to optimal 5.5-6.0 range. I expect to put them in the cubes tomorrow afternoon sometime.

Once again, Merry Christmas everybody!
Here's the pics;

DSCF17875.JPG
DSCF17882.JPG
DSCF17894.JPG
DSCF17902.JPG

In my mind, I have been using cola and flower to mean the same thing. Is a cola just the top most flower of a branch? If so, I have those tucked under with gardeners wire to try and control the tops from getting too close to the bulb.

THE REPS ARE RIGHT returns this Sunday with it's long awaited 4th episode! Look below in my SIGNATURE for details. Be there or be square...

Back
Top Bottom