20240423_162936.jpg

20240423_162911.jpg

The 2 headed one is growing in the cloner.Look at how long that pistil is🥰

20240423_162135.jpg

Day 5 in soil for the RV1 clones.

20240423_162139.jpg

They seem to be holding their own.

20240423_162359.jpg

The soil is still really wet from planting but as it comes down the roots will chase it. Turgidity hasn't increased but it hasn't decreased either. They seem very happy and stress free👍.

20240423_162124.jpg

The soil clones on the other hand, are getting tortured. Well sort of.They get no hardening off period. I don't need them so lets see how tough they are. Nothing has killed them yet so lets up the game🤣

20240423_162121.jpg

This one is hurting a little more.

As soon as they dry down a bit they will get hydrolysed fish ferts for their 1st watering. Then an EWC topdressing.

They are starting to look hungry.

Whats the lineage on this beauty? Stunning!
Also! What kind of mutation is this called?
Hey @Janluna ✌️. Welcome😊👊.

It's a strain called RVDV from Table Mountain Sativa Co. out of South Africa.

You should check out their website. They are a sponsor here and Matt (@Lerugged ) and his family have kept them pure since the 1940's when Matt's Grandfather pulled them out of the jungle, so to speak. The whole story behind it all is on their website and in the strain descriptions.

It's a mutation called polyploidy. The plant has more chromosomes than normal.

From everything I have read on it, it's although not common, also not that rare in old pure landrace strains.

Most of the modern designer strains have had things like this bred out of them but I wanted Old School genetics. I've been chasing sativas for a long time so when I stumbled onto TMSC in here, I jumped at the chance to get some purebred genetics.

If that means that I may get the odd mutant I'm 100% OK with that. It's pretty cool to watch.

The articles that I have read describe it as natures way of creating the conditions for a plant to be able to produce twice as many seeds as normal every now and then to ensure it's survival.

Couple that with the fact that I have grown thousands of weed plants and never have I seen genetics that are as tough as these TMSC strains, and I'm all in on these.

I torture plants regularly just to see what they do, and the only thing TMSC's seem to do when you torture them is to just shake it off, adjust, and recover like it never happened. They are also very easy to clone.

So moving forwards I will specifically target strains with this mutation. It's a sign of a very resilient lineage. They were born to survive at any cost and it's quite apparent.

They pretty much grow themselves and really the only thing they asked for was heat mats under the pots in veg. I would imagine South African soil is pretty warm.

They grow great at 76F air temps, its just the rootballs that needed to be a bit warmer, and only in veg. They also handle light really well. In flower they have asked for nothing at all so far.

Stretch just ended so the next 14 days will tell us how they really feel.

Airflow may become a problem, but I live in a desert so PM and other molds aren't really an issue, but if you live in a humid zone, I could see how defoliation would help. They are very branchy.

It was only at 1 node, the 2nd node, that the mutation arose. I could of, and usually do remove the 2nd node branches, but when I saw this cool mutation I removed the rest of the plant instead so we can watch the mutation better.

If you google polyploid cannabis and then look in the images section you will see some pretty funky stuff. Hopefully thats where this Gal goes🥰😎.

The non-mutated pheno of RVDV is amazingly perfect in symmetry. Her colas are gorgeous, so you may have to put up with a bunch of perfect plants if you decide to go mutant pheno hunting. Tough sell I know, but perfect plants are OK too.

Also, the color of green on these plants is the greenest green ever. The pics can't capture it (I'm a photography moron too so it could be me..) They are neon green.

A refreshing change from the same old same old.

Thanks man. You have to purposefully kill them. I dropped a 30cm plant roots and all into the composter and last week it was still alive and flowering in there . Haha
Hopefully that larf will chunk up for you. It should do.
Have a lekker day
The larf is self-induced on my part, and it's what I call larf. Sorry I should have clarified that. Those that know me know I usually take all side branching off and only chase the main colas.

That larf in Larf Valley is actually what should become a sea of gumball to golf ball sized nugs. It's nice stuff. I just left it all on to test what this new soil mix is capable of growing.

It's not larf at all. I'm just lazy and refuse to trim any bud that isn't big enough to hide a tennis ball behind😎.

RVDV1 is going to produce a lot of weed.

She's a stunner!

Actual larf never makes it to the pictures, the worms demand their cut.

Thanks man. You have to purposefully kill them. I dropped a 30cm plant roots and all into the composter and last week it was still alive and flowering in there . Haha
Have a lekker day
Lol The South African technique for the proper way to flip a plant🤣🤣🤣. Loadsheddings got nothing on you Matt!🤣🤣🤣

I’ve used spikes before - would they work in a SIP?
Hey Rob, the folks at EarthBox have tutorials on their site. I was checking them out one day and found that they make a horizontal trough and fill it with dolomite lime, and another with feed. I'm thinking a spike would work and maybe go horizontal? I have not done it.

You should check out their website. They are a sponsor here and Matt (@Lerugged ) and his family have kept them pure since the 1940's when Matt's Grandfather pulled them out of the jungle, so to speak. The whole story behind it all is on their website and in the strain descriptions.
I have genetics from Matt! I have Wild Lady and LC-18! I got them for the same reason you got them. I can’t wait to pop them!

They are also very easy to clone.
Did you clone her? Or are you going to reveg?

It's a mutation called polyploidy. The plant has more chromosomes than normal.
Also, do you think she is a triploid or tetraploid?

I am honestly very happy for you and your find. I can only hope to stumble upon a mutation this cool. Thanks again for your detailed response 👉🏽🫡

Hey Rob, the folks at EarthBox have tutorials on their site. I was checking them out one day and found that they make a horizontal trough and fill it with dolomite lime, and another with feed. I'm thinking a spike would work and maybe go horizontal? I have not done it.
Maybe layering would work also.

So here’s the irrigation system I’m looking at. For 35$ it’ll get the job done while giving me a chance to see how it works and how I can either upgrade it or modify its efficiency. I have a feeling the 10 gallon plus pots are going to require some messing with

IMG_8414.png

I think I may need to try a spray nozzle for the bigger pots.. we’ll see

Wow!! So obvious it almost makes sense!! Awesome Stone👊 Thanks for that👍

In my mind SIP's just got a whole lot more doable with LOS.

So here’s the irrigation system I’m looking at. For 35$ it’ll get the job done while giving me a chance to see how it works and how I can either upgrade it or modify its efficiency. I have a feeling the 10 gallon plus pots are going to require some messing with

IMG_8414.png

I think I may need to try a spray nozzle for the bigger pots.. we’ll see
Other than the timer thats pretty much identical to the one I pieced together. That will work👍

I have genetics from Matt! I have Wild Lady and LC-18! I got them for the same reason you got them. I can’t wait to pop them!
Excellent! Are you going to journal them?
Did you clone her? Or are you going to reveg?
Not the mutants. But I did clone her sister.
Also, do you think she is a triploid or tetraploid?
Thats hard to say from what I have been able to research. Every node has at least 2 leaves a side instead of 1, and some 3, and the main stalks are wide and flat like a computer cable. All the pictures that match are referred to as polyploids.
I am honestly very happy for you and your find. I can only hope to stumble upon a mutation this cool. Thanks again for your detailed response 👉🏽🫡
It's trippy and fun for sure. 😊

Have a lekker day
Hello @Lerugged ! What is the potency of these landrace strains? Can you flower these early indoors to keep them from getting too tall?

Back
Top Bottom