Weffalo's West Coast O.G. First Time Grow: Indoor, Soil, SIP, Auto

You're better off just going with the binder clips. Less effort and way more flexibility. With the holes you're limited to tie off only where they are placed. With the clips you can slide them around the rim to get the perfect angle.
I'll bare that in mind, I need to order some clips, as a temporary measure I'm just gonna use some strong tape.

Things are looking good I think, they are super super bushy plants so I'm gonna look to try add more carhooks to hide some of the leaves asap so the budsites can get proper light, I'll probably sort that tomorrow though now.

Day 40 (Day 3ish of flowering):
asdd1.jpg
asdd2.jpg

asdd3.jpg
asdd4.jpg
asdd5.jpg
asdd6.jpg
asdd7.jpg
asdd8.jpg
asdd9.jpg
asdd10.jpg

(This one was before I tied down the top)

Now that they're in flower most of their energy is going to switch from growing roots, leaves and limbs into flower so, other than the odd bud you want to slightly reposition, I wouldn't do too much more training on her.

Now that they're in flower most of their energy is going to switch from growing roots, leaves and limbs into flower so, other than the odd bud you want to slightly reposition, I wouldn't do too much more training on her.
Gotya I'll leave them be and watch the magic happen!

I'm just concerned about the amount of large fan leaves blocking the budsites so I'm thinking using hooks to move them out the way may be the least stressful way of attemping a faux "defoliation"? I'm trying to fold them under other leaves when possible but it's not always possible.

They have an interesting way of moving their leaves out of the way on their own when flowering. Not 100% on their own but watch how they flower. Personally I'm a minimalist when it comes to concerns about light getting to buds. Some tucking and snipping but not a real lot. Everybody's different with this.

They have an interesting way of moving their leaves out of the way on their own when flowering. Not 100% on their own but watch how they flower. Personally I'm a minimalist when it comes to concerns about light getting to buds. Some tucking and snipping but not a real lot. Everybody's different with this.
I'm with Stone here. The plants move stuff around internally all the time so I'm not convinced the buds themselves actually need to be out in the open all by themselves. The fan leaves are there for a reason and that is to provide energy to the plant.

Taking them off just seems counterproductive to me.

Ok awesome thanks Stone, I'll watch and learn what happens. I should have really done one fully natural to learn the process but I wanted to try training and then I couldn't have them be different heights as it just didn't feel right. I'll tuck what I can and leave everything else.

I'm with Stone here. The plants move stuff around internally all the time so I'm not convinced the buds themselves actually need to be out in the open all by themselves. The fan leaves are there for a reason and that is to provide energy to the plant.

Taking them off just seems counterproductive to me.
Gotya thanks Azi, that does make a lot of sense. Taking a step back and I'll watch and enjoy the final month or so they've got left. I did the high N feed and I've topped that up again today but when that mix runs out I'm gonna switch to "Week 7" of the feed schedule which is full bloom nutes.

Yeah man you youngsters gotta get your inner hack on, I was making bongs out of plastic baseball bats in Benidorm when you were still looking at the Littlewoods catalogue… 🤣 chopsticks, bulldog clips, paperclips, string what ever is to hand. Pretty much my favourite bit of it all.
Think I can get a write up for that baseball bong? I'm intrigued :rofl:

@Weffalo Sorry I haven't chimed in much
But now I'm all caught up things look to be right on track!
great support in here for sure!

I don't know that yours are only marginally bigger than mine for any other reason than your autos are as big as they want to be.
Looking over your journal there's no real difference other than like you said the coco drying that happened early on but you watered from the bottom developing that water from below method from the onset same as starting in the SIP.
Maybe allowing the tap root to find the bottom of the bigger pot sooner played a part?

Either way things are looking very good in here regardless! watching closely til the finish my friend!

I don't know that yours are only marginally bigger than mine for any other reason than your autos are as big as they want to be.
Looking over your journal there's no real difference other than like you said the coco drying that happened early on but you watered from the bottom developing that water from below method from the onset same as starting in the SIP.
Maybe allowing the tap root to find the bottom of the bigger pot sooner played a part?

Either way things are looking very good in here regardless! watching closely til the finish my friend!

There is indeed fantastic support in this thread and I am very grateful for all the help I've had throughout this process, feeling a lot more confident already.

I think maybe the fact I was using plain water instead of a diluted nutrient mix for the seedlings in coco was the issue, because I thought I was in soil I was following guidance for that. These autos are bushy little beasts anyway so I'm confident I'll be happy with the results even if they could have been bigger :D

Very exciting to finally see some flowers and get to watch them develop.
Cheers for checking in mate :thanks:

Noticed one of the plants seems to be not "fully"in flower yet, at least behind the other two. No big deal but I think I'll wait a few days to switch that specific SIP to full flower/bloom nutes.

Slow flower:
pl1_lateflower.jpg

These two are coming along nicely at slightly different paces:
pl2.jpg
pl3.jpg

It was the end of a supersoaker type water pistol for the water bowl, then a section of a kids - like 4 year olds bat to be used on the beach or whatever cut to form the draw pipe. A socket, as in socket and wrench with a bit of metal tubing we found on thr floor of the place where I bought the socket jammed into it. Heated up the pipe for ages using lighters until we could get a hole through the bowl. Electricians tape to seal. Worked great 😂

Took some images yesterday at lights off and then today I noticed a little bit of damage, not sure what it is - Res never been empty but I'm not sure if my circulation fans are on too high a setting at the moment or if it's a nutrient issue? It's only minor on a few leaves on one plant as far as I can see!

Leaf Damage:
leafdmg1.jpg

leafdmg2.jpg

Pics with flash no lights:
lo1.jpg

lo2.jpg
lo3.jpg
lo4.jpg

Took some images yesterday at lights off and then today I noticed a little bit of damage, not sure what it is - Res never been empty but I'm not sure if my circulation fans are on too high a setting at the moment or if it's a nutrient issue? It's only minor on a few leaves on one plant as far as I can see!
Could be a building calcium deficiency. Are you feeding cal/mag? If it's a very minor thing I'd probably watch it and see if it spreads before jumping through hoops but be prepared to change things if necessary.

Could be a building calcium deficiency. Are you feeding cal/mag? If it's a very minor thing I'd probably watch it and see if it spreads before jumping through hoops but be prepared to change things if necessary.
Cal mag being fed at just over 1ml/L mate. Definitely just minor so far but I'll keep an eye and see how things develop, thanks for your opinion as always Azi.

@Bill284 usually recommends adding it first to the water and waiting a bit before adding other stuff (I think). I'm not sure why the order matters but he seems pretty emphatic about it.
I'm up in the air about waiting 10 minutes I have to do more research.
I read that it takes time but Em said you don't have to wait.
As long as it's the first ingredient.
I lost the article telling why.
My old tablet died. Otherwise I always post it.
But it helps with uptake of your nutrients.
So putting it in first is best practice for nutrient uptake. :thumb:
Happy Growing. :high-five:
Take care.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

I'm up in the air about waiting 10 minutes I have to do more research.
I read that it takes time but Em said you don't have to wait.
As long as it's the first ingredient.
I lost the article telling why.
My old tablet died. Otherwise I always post it.
But it helps with uptake of your nutrients.
So putting it in first is best practice for nutrient uptake. :thumb:
Happy Growing. :high-five:
Take care.

Interesting. I used calmag in my last grow and I didn't wait. I added everything in one go. It worked. Let us know what you discover in your reading Bill :)

Interesting. I used calmag in my last grow and I didn't wait. I added everything in one go. It worked. Let us know what you discover in your reading Bill :)
Hey Carmen Merry Christmas , love your beach pic.:love:
Hope everything is going well my friend. :high-five:
It's all on my old tablet that died.
@Rexer :ciao:do you still have any of the info on calmag from that article I had?
I'll check while we wait for Rex.

Back
Top Bottom