Winging It In Winter By The Window: Soil Auto Grow

The tap root was poking out of the soil at the top by a couple of millimeters. I think it may have just died if I'd left it. because the taproot was exposed to light and air and the cotyledons were underground in a damp peat puck. We'll see what happens in the next day or two. If it doesn't recover I will go with different seed stock but I want to get two grows in before October. That is my goal and hope.
I had a seed this winter poke it's root out, and it just kept going. If it's not turning around by itself it's best to intervene. It does shock them a bit though.
Hope she recovers soon.

I lay my seeds on their sides in the peat because there is so much confusion about which way to plant it! I've never had a tap root go the wrong way. :)

I do put them down a bit farther than some folks though, but I'm not all that scientific about the depth.
:) my vision is poor and my hands tremor severely... it is entirely possible that instead of placing the seed on its side as intended, I may have placed it upside down but then surely it should have corrected that itself unless it was too weak for some reason... who knows, but it has life for now. I wish I'd taken a photo of the root sticking out of the top.

I had a seed this winter poke it's root out, and it just kept going. If it's not turning around by itself it's best to intervene. It does shock them a bit though.
Hope she recovers soon.
Thanks Mel, did your sprout survive upon intervention?

Long enough to send the root back up as soon as I turned her around, lol. She perished pretty soon after that. Pretty sure it was a genetic problem with her.
Most of the others I've had did though.

That's really interesting Mel. I've just come from Carcass's journal where he shows a detailed fix for a plant that began in a similar manner, root up. He's made a stunning canopy of the plant :) These plants never cease to amaze!

Good morning Carmen :)

When it comes to uppotting I do quite a bit of fucking about. I start my weed the way nurseries grow their plants. I go from a seed tray to a small pot, then uppot two more times before I get to my finishing pot.

This is how I’ve always started house plants from cuttings, and now I think of it I think having the right sized bed allows me to know how much water she needs. Tbh sometimes, like Carcass pointed out, they are literally only in that pot for one week. But for me, I like the process of uppotting.

The tap root was poking out of the soil at the top by a couple of millimeters. I think it may have just died if I'd left it. because the taproot was exposed to light and air and the cotyledons were underground in a damp peat puck. We'll see what happens in the next day or two. If it doesn't recover I will go with different seed stock but I want to get two grows in before October. That is my goal and hope.
Wow. Curiouser and curiouser! (know where the quote's from?)

from a seed tray to a small pot, then uppot two more times before I get to my finishing pot.
Thank you Tra, that makes sense to me for photoperiod plants. I feel differently about these autos, which look like they will take different growth trajectory, flowering when still small. Autos are new to me so much of the decision making will be done as I go along. The Caramel King is looking comfortable in the solo cup and has not yet fully colonized the soil with roots, so for me she is not ready to move and would likely stress us both if I tried.
Curiouser and curiouser!
She dead, said Alice :(
LAVENDER BEST

20% SATIVA – 80% INDICA

THC: 19-23% CBD: 0,19% CBN: 0,05%

GENETICS

Super skunk x Big Skunk Korean x Afghani x Hawaiian

FLAVOUR

Lavender Best has a really intense flavour and aroma, with notes of sweet lavender and spicy aroma.

EFFECTS

The effect is powerful, relaxing and long-lasting.

FLOWERING INDOOR

9-10 weeks, with a yield up to 650 g/m². Very good for SOG.

As the name implies this variety is extremely aromatic and its smell has a touch mint and rosemary. Genetically it’s a complicated three-way cross between Super Skunk x Big Skunk Korean x Afghani Hawaiian. The leaves turn dark purple during the flowering time, which can reach 63-70 days until the buds are finished. Manicuring is very simple due to the high calyx-to-leaf ratio. The flowers start to develop resin glads very early in the flowering stage, so by the end of the lifecycle the buds are flooded with resin. Lavender Best has also proven to be resistant against powdery mildew and botrytis. Definitely a strain for connoisseurs because of its peculiarity.

Who was the creative mind who does their sprouts in a cd case? I am trying that method now and have moved onto Lavenders Best, Hashgirl and Happy Hazmat were interested in that one, so let's see what comes of this seed.

Next grow I will try the NBA Diesel a second time (@StoneOtter I tried and she died). The West Coast OG seeds are dead and gone and I have one Caramel King to run with the NBAD next run. Bummer!

I have to find a different source for seeds because it looks like the Bulk Seed Bank seeds from Biltong & Buds are not always reliable. They obviously buy in bulk and split packs to sell seeds individually at a lower prices. Others also report experiencing difficulty sprouting them.

Thank you Tra, that makes sense to me for photoperiod plants. I feel differently about these autos, which look like they will take different growth trajectory, flowering when still small. Autos are new to me so much of the decision making will be done as I go along. The Caramel King is looking comfortable in the solo cup and has not yet fully colonized the soil with roots, so for me she is not ready to move and would likely stress us both if I tried.

She dead, said Alice :(

Who was the creative mind who does their sprouts in a cd case? I am trying that method now and have moved onto Lavenders Best, Hashgirl and Happy Hazmat were interested in that one, so let's see what comes of this seed.

Next grow I will try the NBA Diesel a second time (@StoneOtter I tried and she died). The West Coast OG seeds are dead and gone and I have one Caramel King to run with the NBAD next run. Bummer!

I have to find a different source for seeds because it looks like the Bulk Seed Bank seeds from Biltong & Buds are not always reliable. They obviously buy in bulk and split packs to sell seeds individually at a lower prices. Others also report experiencing difficulty sprouting them.
hehe. I am familiar! Carmel King for the win!

Morning @Carmen Ray! Wow you are having your issues getting these guys started, sometimes it just happens in clusters. I'm the one who uses a cd case, you can see the steps in page 1 of my journal but it's pretty simple, put the seed in a wet paper towel, put that in a cd case & stand it vertically for a nice straight tap root in 2-3 days.

Have a great day and good luck!

hehe. I am familiar! Carmel King for the win!
Thank you Otter.

Day 12 AG - CK
CK is going from strength to strength. She is 70 cm (27 inches) from the light, where I get a reading of 35000 lux. It's a sunny day so there is some sun coming into the space.
She is 10 cm (4 inches) tall. I am still seeing variegation in the new leaves but I think her color and condition are reasonably good. The color seems to vary between the Tamron and the Sigma. Also it's to do with the white balance.
Temperatures these days are ranging between 10 C (50 F) on the lower end of the scale, and 20 C (68F). Windows closed and light on keeps things a touch warmer on the cold days.
Watered 2 x 20ml syringes of water with kelp extract.
DSC_7090-Edit.JPG
DSC_7097-Edit.JPG

Morning @Carmen Ray! Wow you are having your issues getting these guys started, sometimes it just happens in clusters. I'm the one who uses a cd case, you can see the steps in page 1 of my journal but it's pretty simple, put the seed in a wet paper towel, put that in a cd case & stand it vertically for a nice straight tap root in 2-3 days.

Have a great day and good luck!
Thank you BK. You have a great day too and thank you for the great idea.

Good morning, Carmen.

@Emilya always says that it's time to uppot when you have to water it every day. That shows that the roots will be strong when it's time to uppot.

Like Boo, I uppot my autos to 5-gallon pots from the Solo cup. When you get your plant into that pot, just water 3x the diameter of the plant until it starts filling up the space.

Those roots are progressing nicely, Carmen!

Looking forward! :Rasta:

Great start @Carmen Ray :cool:
Looks like close to up-pot time, I'd use an intermediate sized pot, (say 1L), and bury the stem up to 1" below the cotyledons - this will help to raise the root-ball closer to the cotyledons without burying directly into 5Gal
To my mind (and observations), it fills the root space more effectively in the final pot

Looks like close to up-pot time
Thank you Growings. I'm interested in your view, which is different to that of some others who feel one up-pot is the right way. Being new to the auto game I am nervy and I feel I might muck it up if I fiddle too much. For now, that plant seems really happy and those roots have plenty of space still. I have got intermediate pots ready if needs be. I had thought of taking the plant up to a 4 L before the 20 L but the dominant view is to leave it alone for now if I am understanding correctly.
When you get your plant into that pot, just water 3x the diameter of the plant until it starts filling up the space.
Hey HG, how are you after your surgery? I hope the pain is well managed. Thank you so much for coming by. This watering business has me paranoid. I'm so scared of drowning the plant and equally afraid of starving it of water. The soil I am using is bone dry to start and that might be my fault for filling the final pots too early. When I syringe water down a fresh cup the soil resists absorbing it. I had to drench a cup to get it to take the water to prep it for a seed. I dk wtf to do to be frank. The seed hasn't sprouted yet so I am hoping that the moisture is absorbed by the atmosphere. If not I will have to do the paper towel trick and try and dry it a bit that way.
How would you prep the cup for a direct planting of the sprout rather than peat puck? I might want to try that rather. Previously I have placed the seed in the prepared soil and sprayed the surface regularly but that soil was not so hydrophobic. Also, I think I must water the soil in the final pots nowish so that it has a chance to drain etc before the up-pot... what do you think? That's a lot of questions. I hope you can make sense of it all.
Looking forward! :Rasta:
Yay GDB :) me too!

CK 13 Days AG
DSC_7129-Edit.JPG

NBAD 4 Days AG
I can't bear to discard this little thing clinging to life... it will live out its life in this cup I think

DSC_7131-Edit.JPG

Thank you for stopping by and have a great week ahead!

Thank you Growings. I'm interested in your view, which is different to that of some others who feel one up-pot is the right way. Being new to the auto game I am nervy and I feel I might muck it up if I fiddle too much. For now, that plant seems really happy and those roots have plenty of space still. I have got intermediate pots ready if needs be. I had thought of taking the plant up to a 4 L before the 20 L but the dominant view is to leave it alone for now if I am understanding correctly.

Hey HG, how are you after your surgery? I hope the pain is well managed. Thank you so much for coming by. This watering business has me paranoid. I'm so scared of drowning the plant and equally afraid of starving it of water. The soil I am using is bone dry to start and that might be my fault for filling the final pots too early. When I syringe water down a fresh cup the soil resists absorbing it. I had to drench a cup to get it to take the water to prep it for a seed. I dk wtf to do to be frank. The seed hasn't sprouted yet so I am hoping that the moisture is absorbed by the atmosphere. If not I will have to do the paper towel trick and try and dry it a bit that way.
How would you prep the cup for a direct planting of the sprout rather than peat puck? I might want to try that rather. Previously I have placed the seed in the prepared soil and sprayed the surface regularly but that soil was not so hydrophobic. Also, I think I must water the soil in the final pots nowish so that it has a chance to drain etc before the up-pot... what do you think? That's a lot of questions. I hope you can make sense of it all.

Yay GDB :) me too!

CK 13 Days AG
DSC_7129-Edit.JPG

NBAD 4 Days AG
I can't bear to discard this little thing clinging to life... it will live out its life in this cup I think

DSC_7131-Edit.JPG

Thank you for stopping by and have a great week ahead!
Cool!! Bonus Dixie Cup grow!!! Shed took 49 grams dried from a Big Gulp!

Back
Top Bottom