2 Girls & 1 Kit: Major PITA Takes High Brix Outdoors, Summer 2015

re: 2 Girls & 1 Kit - Major PITA Takes High Brix Outdoors — Summer 2015

There's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat!

Seven ways - pretty sure. Yep, seven.

It's all good Duggan. There's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat!

Ya mon....that's one reason it's so much fun eh....cheers Doc.BTW, i will be weighing up and sampling the Mazar's in a little bit.Bin hanging for 5 days now and is perfect to start the cure.Will post results in a couple hours in my journal. Can't wait to finally sample.:cheer::surf::slide:

Hey duggan (or anyone)-
I'm interested in super cropping but know very little about where I should consider the bend(s). What would you suggest for an Indica about 12" tall with 8 nodes? Near the top, bottom, middle???

Yeah I supercrop when there's a particular branch (or 3) winning the race to the light. I'll pinch just below the height of the secondary branches and as it heals it stays pretty close to the overall canopy height. But, I also top most all my plants.

:cool:

I can see how I might apply it to branches, but when your goal is to reduce height, I'm less sure what to do. It feels weird to bend the top over. I'm sure it would slow vertical growth some, but more than that, won't it make the plant lopsided/asymmetrical? I need to look over some SC tutorials and videos. Thanks for all the replies so far!

I can see how I might apply it to branches, but when your goal is to reduce height, I'm less sure what to do. It feels weird to bend the top over. I'm sure it would slow vertical growth some, but more than that, won't it make the plant lopsided/asymmetrical? I need to look over some SC tutorials and videos. Thanks for all the replies so far!

It ain't no big deal...Just pinch the branch flat...crushing it, not cutting it, and gently bend it the way you want it to go. It causes re-distribution of hormones and the other branches then take off.

It ain't no big deal...Just pinch the branch flat...crushing it, not cutting it, and gently bend it the way you want it to go. It causes re-distribution of hormones and the other branches then take off.

sometimes masking tape is needed after the pinch/bend. :)

Hey duggan (or anyone)-
I'm interested in super cropping but know very little about where I should consider the bend(s). What would you suggest for an Indica about 12" tall with 8 nodes? Near the top, bottom, middle???

Hey Major.....the way i supercrop is to squeeze and break the internal membrane....you can feel it break between your fingers. Then gently bend the growing tip down....but don't break it....just bend it down . Do this right at the top of your Indica....this will force(like crazy) the little side branches to start to grow. Do this as many times as you need to thru the grow to get a bush forming and if you have done it correctly,you won't be able to tell what shoot is the leader....bingo ....success I never bend a whole branch down cuz it grew to fast ....you have to do it before it gets out of hand and then you have to bend a whole big branch down....just do it with the growing tip....it will force the side shoots to go nuts... Hope this helps ...i'm pressed for time as the little one has hockey.....cheers eh.

I love outdoor grows - the plants get so big! Excited to see how this turns out for you. Count me in! :popcorn:

One question: Can you detail the steps and materials used to create your "DIY bubbler cloner." Thanks.

I love outdoor grows - the plants get so big! Excited to see how this turns out for you. Count me in! :popcorn:

One question: Can you detail the steps and materials used to create your "DIY bubbler cloner." Thanks.

Great to have you along MS!
I'll detail the DIY when I get home. I'm currently out of town.

Mornin Major....have you Supercropped your Indica yet? Try and do this when they are very small....todder's respond best to my method as you have to catch them before they get to big. If you let them get too big ,that's when supercropping has to be with whole big branches instead of just the growing tips. If you start when they are small ,you can control them very easily doing just the tips.After you get the bush thing happening just keep tieing down the main leaders untill you can't tell which one is the "main". Works really great Major and you r yield will go up considerably if you get the "bush " thing goin on cuz all the tops get the really strong lite,up top like they should. Try it ....you'le like it and there is no delay or slow down with growth cuz your not cutting off the main shoot which causes the plant to STOP and do some serious repairs before it can start to grow again. Some growers like to just let their plants grow however they do ....that's ok if you have lots of space up top , or if yield isn't a big concern at all. I have limited space with only room for two fairly large plants , so i need to really exploit Doc's soil and get all i can from them.Suppercropping is how i can do this and i do with every grow i do now. If i was to just let my two Mazar's grow as they may....my veg time would have been weeks shorter and hence my yield would be WAY down from the 18 z's. i got from the two girls. Hope this helps bud....have a great day Major....cheers....Duggs.:high-five:

Hello Major, Cant wait to see how big your bushes get. Great view and garden area.

Hi Snoop! I can't wait, too! :cheesygrinsmiley:
I try not to let myself get too excited. A lot can happen over a summer's grow. I have a tiny bit more experience and a lot more support, but I had high hopes for my first grow and it was fraught with all kinds of problems. So far, so good this time around.

Mystery -

Here is my DIY cloner. It is nothing special. All the ideas were grabbed from other 420 threads. I basically scrounged everything from around the house (partial can of paint, my old air pump & stones, a scrap of vinyl shelf liner my wife got at WallyWorld, hole saws, etc.). I even had the container but it is being put to good use so I bought another. This is the only thing I paid $$$ out of pocket - to the tune of $1.24. I only need a small setup and this one will do 8 cuttings at a time.

The "humidity dome" just one of our organic salad greens container from the grocery store (salad not included). I cut a couple of notches to let the air hoses in. I filled the container about 2/3 of the way with plain tap water and let 'er rip for two weeks, changing the water after one week. I misted the plants and the inside of the dome once or twice each day.

I started with this 6 qt. plastic container from Homers:
Sterlite_6_qt.jpg

Miscelaneous bits used and with the container painted to keep light out (makes the water & roots happy) :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bubble_Cloner_Parts.jpg

Plugs for the cuttings:
Grommets.jpg

I used two different sizes of hole saws - neither is critical. The small one is just big enough to let the air stones in and out. The bigger one is for the cuttings 'cuz I wasn't sure how big the roots diameters might get. I probably could have made them all the smaller size.

I saved the plastic "doughnuts" left over from drilling the holes. I glued pieces of the shelf liner to each side: smaller for the inside and larger for the outside/top. The pieces for the inside are just slightly larger than the holes. The top pieces can be almost any size that is bigger than the holes. The three pieces glued up make a sort of "grommet" to plug each hole. Then I cut from the outer edge to the center 1/4" hole so I could remove them from the cuttings and air lines w/o destroying them. I was going to punch out the vinly to make it tidy and even, but ended up just freehand cutting them so they are a little uneven. No matter they work dandy.

That's it. If I was unclear, or if you have any questions, let me know...

My weekly update. In a nutshell, all is good!

The HB girls had their Brix and De-Stress foliars and two drenches. The AoS cuttings got De-Stressed every other day for about a week, but are now growing well in the HB soil.

The Pitbulls added about 4" this week, which is a 50% increase in height. This is immediately following their up-canning from solo cups to 1 gal. pots.

I know Duggs will be disappointed, but I went with topping them. I plan to use supper cropping also, but wanted to try it out on another plant first. I did it to the Ace of Spades mom because she was getting too tall for my small T5 setup.

The AoS cuttings are nearly twice as big as they were when removed from the cloner, and are putting out 5 fingered leaves. Compare to them when first potted on page one.

I'm sure you'll find this silly, but my wife names most of her plants and doesn't know a PB from an AoS. So I named the plants for her. When I use the note "OG" for this grow, it means a plant in my OrGanic soil mix. "HB" for the plants in Doc's kit. Eventually I'll have one each: HB PB, OG PB, HB AS, OG AS (or AoS).

Here is the lineup:
Friends_Labeled_04-25-15.jpg

HB PB:
Rachel_04-25-15.jpg

OG PB:
Monica_04-25-15.jpg

AoS Clones (both currently in HB soil):
Phoebe_-_Janice_04-25-15.jpg

With the current weather, they are all able to go outside each day and they love it. The topping of the Pitbulls isn't obvious in the pic's. I had to take so little, they both seemed to not even notice.

This is the AoS mom that was supper cropped so I could gain some experience. She is pretty badly sunburned (I think) from going out on a couple if hot days after only T5 lights. She is also thirsty - ready for her drench.
AS_Knuckles_04-25-151.jpg

I was feeling inspire because of all this supercropping talk so I said wtf! Ill do some to my girls....well, cracked 2 branches!!! OH NO!!!! Not to worry tho cuz theyll heal just fine...im in High Brix soil :)

I was feeling inspire because of all this supercropping talk so I said wtf! Ill do some to my girls....well, cracked 2 branches!!! OH NO!!!! Not to worry tho cuz theyll heal just fine...im in High Brix soil :)

Have you posted pics in your journal?

Have you posted pics in your journal?

Ill take a few after this period of hockey! :)
Theyll heal just fine bro, im not worried at all. I went in for a look at the intermission and theyre already healing :) The Kit makes things absolutely worry free :) not to mention I had 13/14 brix in the bubba and cough respectively :)

Back
Top Bottom