A Low Budget Micro TLA Grow - With Added LED - Two Cream Caramel Photo Period

That only makes sense to me AJ. It didn't even cross my mind. Using my noodle I would almost be willing to say fan leafs are irrelevant in hydro. I'll try to do a little research & get back to you on that one.
Maybe some of the more experienced members who have a history in both Hydro/Soil alike would like to expand on this conversation.
Lady DIY, you're good at drawing some of the right people to the right questions, work your magic!
Sorry BAR, I didn't see this question until now. Been busy busy today.

carbs are different than the proteins we supply the roots. although anything green can produce carbs (flowers and even stems), fan leaves are the best at it.

try and reveg a stalk. will it work? maybe, probably not. try and reveg a stalk with one leave. will it work? maybe, more likely.

"leaves are called sources, roots and shoots (flowers) are called sinks. sources produce sugar, sinks consume sugar"

Very informative film B, I agree with Reg's comment about the Lady's voice! If circumstances were different I would not remove any leaves as I agree that would be best, but I am trying to get the maximum yield from a small space, 18inch by 26inch, one technique I have had some success with is partial defoliation, having read your points I shall certainly remove less, but I shall remove some, because they are in the way.

I do realise that you are right B, in ideal circumstances, I'm inching towards ideal!
:xmas:

An Aside 7.

The ‘Grow Bin’ has opened its present, a 30w blue CFL mounted on a wooden block to provide some lower down light, this is now the ‘Bin Deluxe’. I shall rotate the NLBB 180 degrees every morning. The added heat may require another extract fan to be fitted before the Spring. I am not sure when ‘Too much light’ is reached, 165w presently, but only CFL, I do not plan on adding anymore but thinking of removing a 45w Red bulb,

Extra_Blue_30w.jpg

Grow_Bin_a.jpg

I can see no milky trichs, yet. Some time still to go.

And yes, I will clean the tub of water before anymore photos.

Hi AJ,
how many lumens is the 30w blue CFL? You want to adjust lighting according to lumens output, not watts.
Somewhere around here is a lumens per square foot chart needed for plant lighting in flower stage. I'll see if I can find that. KingJohnC posts it a lot.
Nic pics!
If you want more info on that, I was able to find this: (Post # 8 on that thread)
First Time Grow

Hi AJ,
how many lumens is the 30w blue CFL? You want to adjust lighting according to lumens output, not watts.
Somewhere around here is a lumens per square foot chart needed for plant lighting in flower stage. I'll see if I can find that. KingJohnC posts it a lot.
Nic pics!
If you want more info on that, I was able to find this: (Post # 8 on that thread)
First Time Grow

Canna you are a diamond, fantastic link, thank you. :thanks::thumb::circle-of-love:

The 30w is 1,900 lumens and the 45w are 3,000 each, total of 10,900 covering 12”x11”, 1sq foot roughly, so

The link says 7,000 -7,500 (or more) lumens per sq foot is optimal, I can remove a 45w lamp and remain in the optimal range.

if your leaves start clawing upwards or "tacoing" you may want to consider another fan

Day 11 of 12/12 and little sign of flowering, the canopy is about 3" above the screen, fairly even, with a noticeable dip in the center.

Side_view_26_12_13_a.jpg

I took some close-ups of the freshest growth but I need to organise some lighting other than LED to get a really sharp image.

Canopy_26_12_13_a.jpg

The Kandy Kush is just showing the first signs of flowering and will have to be re-potted into its final home and be moved into my second 'Grow Bin' to see her days out.

Kandy_Kush_26_12_13_a.jpg

The NLBB under LED is slowly producing nice tight buds, very solid when squeezed and smelling wonderful, no milky trichomes, I don't have a 'start' date but she is at least 9 weeks from seed.

NLBB_Bud_a.jpg

THE REPS ARE RIGHT returns this Sunday with it's long awaited 4th episode! Look below in my SIGNATURE for details. Be there or be square...

I forgot the TDS ph info yesterday, this is my notes for the grow. I added 6l of water with Bloom nutes at 420ppm and ph of 5.9, today TDS has risen to 430 and ph 5.8, I will leave alone and hopefully will get 1 day with ph 5.7 or lower and then I will dilute the res with plain water which is my ‘soft’ ph up. I am surprised they are not eating more.

I managed to get a photo of Kandy Kush on her way upstairs to her palatial bin with 90w Red CFL, 6,000 lumens, I need to rewire another fitting to boost that with an extra 30w Blue 1,900 lumens.

KK_27_12_13_a.jpg

The Girls have had 24hrs at a ph of 5.7 or lower, dropped to 5.5 with a TDS of 464ish, I diluted until TDS was 410, the last stable strength, and had to add 4.5ml of ph Up, already diluted 1:50, leaving a ph of 6.0, unless the girls suddenly begin eating more it should require little adjustment for the next 4 or 5 days.

Canopy_28_12_13_a.jpg

The canopy is roughly 4.5" above the screen which is 4.5" above the NFT tank lid, today is day 14 since flip, I am hoping there is substantial stretch to come. The main stem is surprisingly thick, about ½ inch by the photo!!

CC_28_12_13_c_tape_measure.jpg

I am not sure if this a sign of flowering or just the next leaves, I did manage to get a close-up in focus though, with the assistance of a CFL close by

CC_28_12_13_b_shoot.jpg

Now that the Kandy Kush has moved I have been able to get another CFL lit, I will check under the bed for some Red CFLs. I meant to do GLR and DLS, I stopped GLR and forgot about DLS, :lot-o-toke: I will reduce the 'day time' by 20 minutes tomorrow, and every Sunday going forward. I know growing with hydro indoors is far from 'natural', although I have found the diminishing day length to be 'anecdotally' beneficial, I like its similarity to nature, it will also save a few pennies!

I have relations coming for New Year, the first arrive tomorrow so the grows are on full stealth mode, not much different to normal as I have various visitors during a normal week who I cannot afford to know what is really going on, it does mean I have put the CF extract on, which will help distribute the heat from the radiator too.

Back
Top Bottom