Blueberry X Haze - Ebb & Grow

Yes it is a sure to grow "insert", I just dont see how it could turn into a wet mess, if anything it would seem like it was too dry. Actually they say you have to flood your plants more often so that leads me to beleive that it holds water less than your typical medium, ie hydroton, higromite, etc. I dunno though, it should be easy enough to test out eh? OH and PS, it is pricey too so that REALLY sucks, lol

I saw it in person, held it in my hand, saw what it did when it got wet. It was like a blob of water...squishy, gooey....I don't see how it would hold up a large plant.

Keep in mind that I'm a beginner....and I went to the shop looking to buy this stuff! The owner said, "don't use it bro....I won't sell it to you.....look at this...."

DocBud, are you positive you were experiencing Sure to Grow. From the manufacturer's website, STG is...

"Sure To Grow® is made from food-grade polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and polyethylene (PE), the same material that is used in manufacturing soda bottles, clamshell packaging, microwave food trays, food package films, and milk jugs. PET and PE are considered by technological experts and industry professionals to be the safest food-packaging product on the market today."

PET and PE would never turn to a sticky gel in water. There are other products that do. Could it have been something like Watersorb? Watersorb - Home Page

I think it could be something like Polyacrylamide Hydrogels. If so, these can be an issue. Something I stumbled upon looking into this shows that this kind of hydrogel breaks down into toxic compounds.

The Myth of Polyacrylamide Hydrogels

I would like to see the STG inserts used myself.

DocBud, are you positive you were experiencing Sure to Grow. From the manufacturer's website, STG is...

"Sure To Grow® is made from food-grade polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and polyethylene (PE), the same material that is used in manufacturing soda bottles, clamshell packaging, microwave food trays, food package films, and milk jugs. PET and PE are considered by technological experts and industry professionals to be the safest food-packaging product on the market today."

PET and PE would never turn to a sticky gel in water. There are other products that do. Could it have been something like Watersorb? Watersorb - Home Page

I think it could be something like Polyacrylamide Hydrogels. If so, these can be an issue. Something I stumbled upon looking into this shows that this kind of hydrogel breaks down into toxic compounds.

The Myth of Polyacrylamide Hydrogels

I would like to see the STG inserts used myself.

I'm 100% certain its STG.

Your results may vary....

Wow. OK. Thanks DocBud.

Slosmokin.....I do apologize for the side conversation in your journal. Let me know if it's a problem, and I can delete.

Munki, just for fun I googled Sure to Grow inserts and read some info about them from 2 other forums.

The experienced growers who tried them said things like this:

ICG said:
Like 420 said...The tops dry fast and the lower 3-4inches stay soggy forever...I had one in a bucket I dunked left in the room few weeks later picked it up while cleaning and the damn thing was still soggy!!! They compress when submerged and float when flooded...Who knows haven't actually got one in but have one veggin right now I will test run next batch...

Another guy said that it stayed soggy and wouldn't support the plant, still another talked about poor root development.

Remember, I'm a novice. I'm only repeating what I've seen and heard....and what I saw in the hydro shop was a blob of water.

Slosmokin.....I do apologize for the side conversation in your journal. Let me know if it's a problem, and I can delete.

Munki, just for fun I googled Sure to Grow inserts and read some info about them from 2 other forums.

The experienced growers who tried them said things like this:

Another guy said that it stayed soggy and wouldn't support the plant, still another talked about poor root development.

Remember, I'm a novice. I'm only repeating what I've seen and heard....and what I saw in the hydro shop was a blob of water.

Absolutely no issues here, I would have loved finding this info a month ago. Like I said, I was interested in the STG, I was just turned off by the lack of reviews out there.

UPDATE day 9!!
Well, I made it through week 1! Thanks for the help guys.

9:30am, room 69F, Canopy 81F, RH 41%, Res Temp 67F, PPM 815, PH 5.6 (just adjusted, was 6.3)

I am really loving Hydro, having done dirt before, I can really appreciate the speed at which these plants react. Here are some pics of Day 9, I changed the Reservoir on Day 7, and I raised the nutes to the recomended veg cycle for Canna. I ended up getting a bit of nute burn, but I have read a few blue dream journals and people say they burn easy but will grow well with high nutes.
I have mostly grown Indicas in the past, and I am curious to grow BD because I have heard the structure is closer to a Sativa. At what point would you start trying to L.S.T with the Ebb and Grow?
Heres the Pics,
Day 9, Inch 9
measuring_up.jpg

Nuteburn2.jpg

Day9all8.jpg

And here's the Big Boy day 9
Big_Boy.jpg

thanks for looking.

I would flush the plants for 24 hours with some kind of nute flushing agent and start back at 400 to 600 in a day or two if it gets any worse but for now I would just back it off a little without a flush. Keep in mind if it worsens real fast your only option in saving them might be flushing but, I just dont see that at the nute levels your talking about necause your talking about pretty low levels overall, which makes it even more of a mystery as to why this is happening. Some strains just DONT like high or even medium nute levels, and BD might be one of those strains, I dunno, ive never grown it before.What I would do right now is exactly what pit said and just lower the nutes and keep an eye on it. What kind of water are you using (reverse osmosis, carbon filter, well, or tap) and what is your PH like? those would be my two questions?

I am using RO water from the store, it comes in at about 40-50ppm. I added nutes as recomended by Canna's website for week #2, and barely added any ph adjustment. the waters at about 68F. I checked this morning, and I noticed a tiny bit of curl on some of the newer leaves. I think i may just pour water through the buckets and flush the system again, and just go with House & Garden's full line. The more I have read about Canna, the more I am curious why the people at the Hydro store pushed it so hard. I am not convinced they where not trying to push their slow inventory. Oh, and I checked the ppm, and it went up by about 50 in 2 days, and the ph rose to 6.2 from 5.5 in 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom