Groovy Bud's Revenge Grow Journal - Super Lemon Haze & Blue Dream DWC

10/06 Night's Massive Photo Update. I like to keep it well documented, excuse me my excess of photo uploading.

Outside of Room Perspective.
Just so you remember, Bottom Left - BD#1; Bottom right - BD#2; Upper Left - SLH#1; Upper Right - SLH#2
Room_10_06.jpg

BD#1 Over-View
BD_1_Over_10_06.jpg

BD#1 Top. There is a small new node appearing on the left. It is coming slowly but it is new. I think it will take off and be real stem! YAY
BD_1_Top_10_06.jpg

BD#1 Beneath the Skirt Structure
SLH_1_Structure_10_06.jpg

BD#2 Over View. Always one step behind the others. She will push it near the end of the race, I'm sure she will!
BD_2_Over_10_06.jpg

BD #2 Top. Success!
BD_2_Top_10_06.jpg

BD #2 Structure:
BD_2_Structure_10_06.jpg

SLH #1 Over-View:
SLH_1_Over_10_06.jpg

SLH #1 Top. This one must be have the most perfect simetry I have ever seen :slide:
SLH_1_Top_10_06.jpg

SLH #1 Structure:
SLH_1_Structure_10_06.jpg

SLH #2 Over-View:
SLH_2_Over_10_06.jpg

SLH #2 Top: One of them stems is a bit late to the party, but he will make it!
SLH_2_Top_10_06.jpg

SLH #2 Structure:
SLH_2_Structure_10_06.jpg

Now as they seem to have recovered from the topping I shall start pulling some stems down with gardening wire. I don't want them to go too high instead of to the sides. I'm thinking of starting slightly bending the main stem aswel so that plants on the same reservoir, don't shade eachother on the middle of the lid. Q: Is it to late to bend the main stem a bit? Maybe applying progressive tension it will work instead of breaking.

Next question is: I have some side growing tops too, which I'm thinking if I am supposed to top those aswel. In the following pictures, behind the topping site, you can see another top, coming from the second node counting from the top.
BD_1_Secondary_top.jpg

Thank you for stopping by and once again, the apprentice requires you to shine some light on his path.

Take care and Keep Growing!
:Namaste:

Hey Groovy. Bending the main stem is an awesome form of LST & one I do often. It's never too late to bend then over & tie it down.
Just take it slow. Bend a little & tie the main down. Come back in an hour & go hardcore.
Get the main Cola, the very top to be lower than where it's bent at. The plant will instinctively think it's lost its main kola & will spread the growth hormones to the lower lateral branches which will grow out pretty quick. You'll end up with lollipopped looking round bushes instead of scrawny Xmas trees.
Great call!

These were lst'd.
IMG_20131003_164954_039.jpg

I transplanted these gals to the side of the pot so they'd have room when I bent them over & tied down.
IMG_20130826_231857_312.jpg
LST_Day4.jpg
LST_Day_21.jpg

Your topping came out pretty good. Next time, you'll have a bunch of confidence.
They're looking too pale? Might need more N or stronger light. Pics can be weird though.

Alright Mr. CAJUN ALRIGHT!!! :high-five:

That result that you just showed me is my goal structure. Ok, tomorrow I'll be bending those tops all in oposite directions (centrifuge) with care. I dont want to snap it... What about the side stems, should they be flattened to an horizontal position? I dont want them growing too upwardly.

They are not pale in my opinnion. The bottom leaves are the ones that have been affected by that root issue back then. New growth is looking regular to me. Don't forget that I take pictures with the MH on, so expect them to be more dark than they actually look.

E.C. is close to 1. I might just boost it a bit tomorrow with some more N. Is this phase of mine still considered as "early vegging"?? If not, I will bump her a bit more :morenutes:

They are drinking a lot more now and I have a strong vegetal smell coming from the tent. Temperatures are on the higher end, but not too off. I need some time to get that exhaust working.

Cajun, in this picture, where is the main stem of each one of them? So I can understand which way the new growth starts heading towards once I bend it. I don't want to pull the main coala into the wrong direction and then end up with the all the ladies growing towards the same spot and over-shading themselves.
IMG_20131003_164954_039.jpg

I would also like to know when and where am I supposed to do the next Topping Session. I see some secondary tops in there but I dont know if those are supposed to be topped. Or am I to top again later on the new born stems that resulted from the first topping session?

I know I can be quite annoying with questions, but knowledge never takes room in my mind.

Thank you very much Cajun, you are a one of a kind dude! Thanks for believing in me :Namaste:

My logic makes me think this way. Is this the directions to bend the main stems you were thinking about Cajun? The final goal is to have them looking like yours but not overshading each other in the middle of the lid (since I can't put them farther away from each other).
Direction.jpeg

I just bend them in the direction that gives me the most room. You can always rotate them later. I don't worry about the direction of the lower lat's growth when the main is in LST. I tie them down anyway.

Can I keep topping them after the bending? Or should I get all my toppings done before bending the main stem?

Today I'll be setting the dimmed exhaust fan with extraction tubes to the outside. Unfortunately due to higher light's on temperatures, I'm having a strong vegetative smell that is noticeable from distance.

I'm also applying a bug net on the passive in-take vent so that the negative pressure inside doesn't suck in the bugs. They can find their way inside without any help already.

Results of the initiation on bending "school".

bending1.jpg

In some hours I'll be pulling them down even more. The stems are stiff so I'll allow it some time to adjust to this bending before applying more tension.

I've also upped the nutrient solution power to 1.1 E.C. adding a 2ml/10L of GRO and 1ml/10L of Micro. Added another 3-4 L of fresh water to each reservoir because they have been drinking lot lately. Root is developing and crystal white! Good stuff. :love:

Exhaust system is now working, and the passive in-take has been covered with women's stockings (the ones that are really thin, they let the air in and filters the bugs). The temperatures have come down significantly and I got to lower the lights closer to the canopy.

Next Question: When and Where can I top again? When am I recommended to top again the new stems that resulted from the 1st topping session? Can/Should I top other tops on the secondary branches?

You can top all of them. You can top again when their 2-4" long.
I wouldn't get too many kolas going especially at this early in veg though. There will be good quantity, but quality will suffer.
It's strain, pheno, environment, etc. dependant; but a good rule of thumb is to eventually shoot for 8 to up to say 20 kolas.
I see newer growers developing 30+ kolas. Looks great, but the quality is missing. I'm not into smoking a whole bowl or whatever just for a buzz. I want 1-hit wonders...

I'm with Cajun :)
If training hard you can Indeed get over busy. Gert was one such plant and she suffered from just having to much going on. To my experience this stands with scrogs and most ways of growing. Although Fluxing seems to be able to let you push that number higher then standard lst.

As for topping multiple times etc. To me its a structure thing that you want to consider. You want good branch structure to carry good bud development. So I only top knowing halving of the point I'm looking at will still end in sturdy bud yielding points! :)

Karma definitly isn't with me on this kind of hobby.

One of the tent's structure arms has collapsed during the night. It was weaker already and the excess negative pressure caused by the exhaust on the first night caused it to break. I had to dimm the exhaustion fan a bit more than half way down, and had to open a new vent. The tent arm was mended decently.

Anyways, we have some considerable damage on BD #2, because the oscilattory fan was projected towards the plant during the accident. The topping area including the new top shoots + 1 fan leaf branch + 1 lateral top were sawed off. Let me remind you that BD #2 is the smallest and weakest of all ladies. The cut zone was looking dry and black from scarring. The end of the cut stem was looking pretty nasty, just completely torn apart, so I proceded right after to cut it with sterelized scissors in the hopes it would cause a top. It hasn't come back yet, but I believe something different has to be done in this situation.

I'm really feeling down about all of this. I try my best with everything and it comes right back at me and takes my pride away.

I better be spending another $$$ (which I'm getting short of) to a new fan with some protection so it doesn't fuck things up again.

Here is the damage:

The Room:
Room_12_06.jpg

BD #2 Damage:
BD_2_disaster.jpg

Now, should I completely remove those remains of stems with scissors or pinching off with forceps and hope for a new topping to take off?

:straightface:

Dadgum man. You're not having much fun today huh?
It can be real frustrating sometimes I know, but they'll make it up to you. They're just snotnosed kids right now.
I know that BD#2 is your problem child, but that chopped off branch frankly isn't too bad & might've caused enough stress internally (no, not you...the plant) that she turns into a monster.
Since LA's here, you outta see how hardcore he can go. They love it. He would probably do that on purpose & end up with a body snatcher.
So, give her time... Let's see what she does during the flip. That'll tell ya tons of her plans for the future.
And... Most importantly, give yourself a break too. You're growing!

P.S. Get those fans pointing up & smiling. I still believe you should bump up the EC, slowly in tiny increments. They still look N deficient, but it might just be my phone.

might've caused enough stress internally (no, not you...the plant) that she turns into a monster.

Hmm I guess i dont really understand what you mean by this so I thought i would ask you. So your theory is that if a plant is stressed it will make it grow more or bigger yields? (monster)? I dont see where this would ever be true as stress only slows growth and hurts the plant. Just curious on your thoughts and would like to test them so none get miss information.

Grovey if that was my plant I would go down to the next node and just cut the whole top off and start with the lower node. Looks like you already have two shoots growing out and it will just be another topping with a little more stress... Those tops you have there I believe would suffer and wouldn't really do anything or take a long time to recover. Thats just my two cents as they may recover just fine. I wouldn't take a chance with my two main stems that will feed my whole plant...

I would cut the top at the black line right down close to the other two shoots. Good luck! Let us know what you do.

BD_2_disasterasd.jpg

...I dont see where this would ever be true as stress only slows growth and hurts the plant.

BD_2_disasterasd.jpg

Oh very untrue my friend.
All training is stress. Professional growers all induce stress at specific times to get the most potential.
Cannabinoids are the plants internal production of responses to stress. Sticky buds are natural bug repellants. Actually, training is all about stress, hence the names HST (high stress training) & LST (low stress training).
I was trying to be encouraging to Señor Groovy here. Lol.
My point really is don't trash her just yet. The redirection of B-growth hormones (as a result of stress), might produce some surprising results in the rest of the plant later on. I've seen plants literally split in half from storms, heavy buds, law enforcement, etc. The end results were amazing.

Hmm I guess i dont really understand what you mean by this so I thought i would ask you. So your theory is that if a plant is stressed it will make it grow more or bigger yields? (monster)? I dont see where this would ever be true as stress only slows growth and hurts the plant. Just curious on your thoughts and would like to test them so none get miss information.

Grovey if that was my plant I would go down to the next node and just cut the whole top off and start with the lower node. Looks like you already have two shoots growing out and it will just be another topping with a little more stress... Those tops you have there I believe would suffer and wouldn't really do anything or take a long time to recover. Thats just my two cents as they may recover just fine. I wouldn't take a chance with my two main stems that will feed my whole plant...

I would cut the top at the black line right down close to the other two shoots. Good luck! Let us know what you do.

BD_2_disasterasd.jpg

Ok Mr. HunterNitro I think your idea is the safest. She has not shown any recovery so far so I'm just gonna top her above the lower node and see how it goes from there. It hurts me inside, cutting so much right now.
So I heard the "normal" topping is done with an oblique scissor cut, is that it?

(Yesterday added another 1ml/10 of Gro. E.C. is 1.18. I'm going to raise it again today. Got a new protected oscillatory fan to set up. Will update with topping, room and overall looks pictures later today.

Thanks Cajun, LA and HunterNitro. It's awesome that you guys are here.

CareStaker,
The bottom discoloration is not caused by the nutrients at this moment. It was a root damage that hapenned during 12-18 hours, some weeks ago.
If you see check them closer, the new growth isn't defficient in anything at all, and its green colour is not pale (remember it is under a MH right now). I'm slightly boosting its E.C. for the next days, but I think I won't go much over 1.4-1.5 EC for now.

Back
Top Bottom