Groovy Bud's Revenge Grow Journal - Super Lemon Haze & Blue Dream DWC

CareStaker,
The bottom discoloration is not caused by the nutrients at this moment. It was a root damage that hapenned during 12-18 hours, some weeks ago.
If you see check them closer, the new growth isn't defficient in anything at all, and its green colour is not pale (remember it is under a MH right now). I'm slightly boosting its E.C. for the next days, but I think I won't go much over 1.4-1.5 EC for now.

Oh, great :cheer: sorry I do remember reading about the globs :) glad to hear they are getting past it.

Update

Here we go. I have done some LST on the branches 2 days ago and it has come really great in the end. My goal is to separate the tops so they have their own room and light availability.
Generally, the healthiest plants have 8 tops each. Some are not visible on the pictures due to the camera angle.

Also did the topping on the BD #2. She hasn't yet recovered in that top.

I had raised the E.C. to 1.3 yesterday and it was on 1.2 today, so my conclusions are "I need to raise that E.C.". Raised it again to 1.35 adding another 2ml/10L of Gro, 1ml/10L of Micro, and 0.8 ml/10 of Bloom. Will be shooting that E.C. even more up to 1.5 or 1.6 in the next following days.

The v'ROOM
Room_16_06.jpg

BD #1
BD_1_16_06.png

BD #2 Topping area. She has 6 tops total.
BD_2_16_06.jpg

SLH #1. That highest top has been tied down already as well.
SLH_1_16_06.jpg

SLH #2
SLH_2_16_06.jpg

Now I'm wondering if it is already time for a second topping session. I'm planning on doubling the tops to 18. I got some younger and older tops I also have seem to lost my knowledge about topping, I'm having second guesses where to top now. I remember pinching the "heart" but now the hearts seem smaller and there even is a micro heart in the middle of the outer "heart". I see a V cross inside the small heart.

Top_1_16.jpg

This one is young
Top_2_16.jpg

Top_3_16.jpg

Is it too soon to pinch those off? Do I take the whole heart out? How many tops from each plants should I take off each session (all at once, or some in a day, the rest in the following one?)

All depends on what you want. Topping again will create bushier plants, with more tops but generally smaller buds. If you want to promote more cola dominate plants, you would want to work with fewer tops. If I was worried about height, I might top them again soon, but otherwise, I'd let them recover and then take a look at how they responded. Depends on what you prefer really. I'd work with what you have, they look to have good structure, and are still low enough where you can train them a bit before flower. :cheer:

What CareStaker said. My new style of growing has very little tops and monster colas...! I hate small and undeveloped colas... and they just take to long to trim all of them. Since you have 4 plants i would stick to a very small amount of tops.

Okay, how many tops would be "perfect" HunterNitro & CareStaker?

Okay, how many tops would be "perfect" HunterNitro & CareStaker?

Wow... I consider a bunch of things like, genetics or origin, environment, season, pheno, medium, Veg time, plant counts, space between plants, height restrictions, nutrients, feeding schedule, susceptibility to mold, expected defol needed, lighting.... I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. Even then, there's no correct answer, which is kinda nice and infuriating at the same time. ;) I like between 4-12 tops, but I don't Veg for a long time - 45 days max. If I Vegged longer, maybe I'd prefer more tops, but my favorite is 4 to 6 tops that I can fill in, and fill out. LA would be a good one to ask too - he's an absolute training genius. :volcano-smiley:

Thanks CareStaker, so............no magic number..........got it.

I agree that too many tops are a loss in density and quality.
Thing is that 8 tops ain't that much of a promising yield in order to compensate the 1st unsucessful grow.
I'm not talking about 30 koalas here, I'm more into 14-18 tops. Which would mean topping almost all my actual tops.

I seem to be okay on handling it in terms of height control. Other than this LST I don't seem to have much more training to do, other than topping. If I can reach for those tops while in veg, without sacrificing height, I might be able to survive the flowering stretch and not loosing density due light and air availability caused by the LST.

8 coalas is not much, 20 is too much. When you get those numbers even you get 14 tops.

I'm gonna hang on and see Mr. Cajun and LA's input on this too. I've seen some of their beasts (14-18 koalas) and they always fatten up when decently spread by LST. They don't end up with a too high canopy which would sacrifice thhe lower growth. They go bushy instead while spreading it open and then they lower their lamps to a decent height.

If I had more ladies I would definilty let them be 1 coala based, but due to yield needs, with 4 plants, I'm not sure it is profitable.

Awaiting further input from all of you. I'm not ditching your ideas, I'm trying to discuss what's best under these circumstances

:Namaste:

Hey bud.
Since you're LST'g as well as topping, those lil tiny new lats below where you topped will grow out to be primary kolas too. The LST'g alone, if you veg 2+ months, will give ya mucho tops.
I agree with Caretaker. Slow up & let bending them over, etc. do it's thing.
Topping is considered highly stressful & wouldn't monstertop it'll I knew the strain better.
Personally, I think those 8 kolas ya got are going to be joined by at least 8 & more in a few weeks.
Just tuck or tie the branches above them so they get light. It looks like you're doing that.

By the way, you're doing awesome. You've them set up great I'm sure everyone would agree. Now go on autopilot & keep them healthy.
The Revenge Grow....:)

Thanks Cajun, once again. :high-five:

Thing is that I see so many coalas there on your picture, I must suppose they were all multiplied by topping. What you are telling me is that those extra-tops are all natural branching? I'm not sure I got that right.

I won't be vegetating for 2 whole months. I did that on the past and it wasn't a very positive cost/interest relation. I'm sure that within 2-3 more weeks they will be huge and already overcrowding, begging to go into flowering. That's why I was kinda interested in getting that highly branched basal structure of yours before letting them get ready for flowering (building branch strenght in last veg week or so).

Topping would as well prevent them from growing excessively upwards. Wouldn't it?

They seem to have succesfully recovered from the previous topping already, and they are creating a strong secondary branching, which IS GETTING THICK! :cheesygrinsmiley: The tops I showed you on the pictures from the last update are from lateral branches (check those branches' width) :cheesygrinsmiley:

"Noob Grower 101 lesson no. 3 has begun"

Cajun gave some good advice on how the laterals will come up, it doesn't take much training. I almost always just make a single snip, and just keep the two tops, and the two branches below them, and work from those - for reference. I then tie down those 4 branches to get them even. The branches that grow from those 4 mains, make all the other tops. Best advice is to top early and just once, and you've done that already. Good instincts. :Namaste::high-five:

Cajun gave some good advice on how the laterals will come up, it doesn't take much training. I almost always just make a single snip, and just keep the two tops, and the two branches below them, and work from those - for reference. I then tie down those 4 branches to get them even. The branches that grow from those 4 mains, make all the other tops. Best advice is to top early and just once, and you've done that already. Good instincts. :Namaste::high-five:

:thumb: yep.
The colas on that pic were from tying, not topping. I only topped her twice & that's cause she was a psycho Haze that I had to get on top of pretty quick.
If your going to flip soon, don't top anymore.

Ok my friend ill çhime in lol. Cajun has your back though :)
Right no more topping. As soon as you hit flower and stretch your secondary sites will reach for the canopy. Topping is only useful if you have a couple of weeks after for development. Simply open them up and bring the main growing tips down. This will promote the secondaries to shoot in growth.

As for colas numbers, once your hitting 20 without being a flux then your weight will suffer!

Groovy you doing a grand job and between Cajun , Carestaker and hunter you will be fine! :) just remember the simplest trick of opening up the immature foliage of all growing tips once going vert for colas. This will stack nodes and bring more bud! :) simplest trick lol.

Update 17/06

Upped the Nutrient Solution E.C. to around 1.5. on both reservoirs (up from 1.44). Another 1,2 ml/10L of Gro, 0,6 ml/10L to the mix. They are drinking a lot now.

The good thing is now I can't fit the ladies on an overall Room picture, they don't fit the lense ahah :surf:

They are really taking off and I had trouble positioning a side branch from each BD#1 and SLH#2 because I didn't have any more side room for them. So I bent them the closer I could to the middle without over-shading undergrow and side branches. If it gets hard to control, I might top those to prevent them from growing excessively upwards, while the rest of the canopy is lower than them.

Cajun, you were right, I'm getting side branching and side coalas coming from the "new mains". Now It might even become overcrowded. I'm allowing light to penetrate the undergrow's new growing points by tucking fan leaves.

New oscilattory fan is up and running, conquering a great canopy temperature. I've open the adjust-a-wings a bit more to cover all those outter tops.

BD's both of them. The mutilated BD#2 doesn't seem to be shooting new tops from the re-topping process. Although she is developing good side branching and I might top those to compensate for the 2 lost tops.
BDs_17_06.jpg

BD #1 Structure Close-Up
BD_1_structure_17_06.jpg

SLH's both of them.
SLHs_17_06.jpg

SLH #1 Structure Close-up
SLH_1_structure_17_06.jpg

I hope everything is going perfect over your own gardens! I'm loving this.
Thank you all for your support, especially Cajun, LA, HunterNitro and Carestaker.:thanks:

From yesterday to today, they have jumped a lot in growth.

Added 2,5L of water to each reservoir, and adjusted nutrients (1.5-1.55 EC) and pH. The pH is ranging daily from 5.5-6.0 on the BD reservoir (awesome, as it allows them to absorb the various nutrients/ions in its whole range). SLH reservoir is stable 5.5-5.7 everyday.

BD #2, the one that suffered the accident is recovering wonderfully, although no branches resulted from topping. I'm wondering if I should be topping BD #2 side branches to achieve more tops to compensate for the lost ones. But It might stunt her growth even more and that would be good, as she is considerably smaller than the others.

I guess i dont understand what you mean by no branches resulted from topping. You cut the top where i showed you in the picture right? You will not get any branching out of that cut but the two side branches below that node is your new two tops (aka topping). If you want 4 main tops you can top those two as well but I would just stick to the two main top in your setup.

Growth is looking amazing!!!

Finally I've understood the whole concept of Topping, thanks to HunterNitro. :thanks:

I'm so messed up with different knowledges, and reading stuff all over the places, that I find myself not knowing anything at all.

I thought that Topping would work just like the previous "micro-topping" that I've done in the past and which you guided me through.
It is true that those 2 new main branches are getting thicker and looking more like "main stems"

Let's have this on auto-pilot for now. Depending on how fast they grow, I'll see for how long more I'll be vegging. I don't want to push the veg for too long, as I find that at some point, it is no longer needed, plus the flowering stretch does its wonders.

Back
Top Bottom