LED Grow Test

re: LED GROW TEST. 126W hydro grow led VS. 180W

I hope its really close. That will make a buying decision really easy. The cheaper one wins. If one does a little better then the other. Same result the cheaper on wins. If one does a lot better than that one wins and if it the more expensive one than I will have to bite the bullet and get it. But thank God we have you doing this so the decision will at least be a informed, proven one. Thanks for the great journal...

i agree i am thinking the same thing. if the 126w dose a little less then the 180w then i will still get the 126w because its cheaper and less watts. but if the 180w dose alot better then i am going to shell out the more money and get the 180w. because in the long run it will pay for its self. i am thinking anything less then a 1/4oz differnts i would get the cheaper one anything more and i would buy the more money one.

That would be wild if both lights performed equally. I can't imagine how that conversation would go down after all the drama these LEDs have generated.

I'm sure one unit will prevail. Plants are looking healthy, and it may been said before, but - regardless of which light performs better, irishboy still wins!;)

lol. i always win.;)
i still got 2 free lights out of the deal. their souldnt be all equal, since the PS 180w is claimed to be = to a 600w hps, witch i have a hard time beliving, but cant diss it untill i try it. and the 126w is claimed to be = to a 400w hps. so by the claims witch dont mean shit to me their should be a big diff on yeild. so if the 180w only did a little better then i would have a problem because i was lied to. but who know what will happen i am just along for the ride and i get to see first hand with my own eyes witch one is better. and you guys get to see the real truth about these lights instead of claims made by led sales men/women.

what would you guys say would be the breaking point between total yeild between both light on witch one to buy? 1/4oz? or what do u think would be far?

so if the 180w got a 1/4oz or lless more per plant then the 126w do u think i would be best to just get the 126w? and anything more just stick with the 180w? or even if i get a 1/4oz more still stick with the 180w?

what would you guys say would be the breaking point between total yeild between both light on witch one to buy? 1/4oz? or what do u think would be far?

so if the 180w got a 1/4oz or lless more per plant then the 126w do u think i would be best to just get the 126w? and anything more just stick with the 180w? or even if i get a 1/4oz more still stick with the 180w?

I wouldn't use a set amount like that. I would use % of yield vs. what the price difference is between the lights.

180w - $700
126w - $400
difference - costs 43% more for the 180w

I would say that I would want close to 40% more to buy the more expensive light. (I looked up the 180w price quick. if not correct need to adjust). If you only pull an ounce off the 126w than 1-1/4z oz. on the 180w. 2oz from the 126w - 2-1/2 oz from the 180w... etc.

I wouldn't use a set amount like that. I would use % of yield vs. what the price difference is between the lights.

180w - $700
126w - $400
difference - costs 43% more for the 180w

I would say that I would want close to 40% more to buy the more expensive light. (I looked up the 180w price quick. if not correct need to adjust). If you only pull an ounce off the 126w than 1-1/4z oz. on the 180w. 2oz from the 126w - 2-1/2 oz from the 180w... etc.

i like the way you think:goodjob:

Nicely said, I would say that if the 180w produced an ounce to make things easy and the 126w produced 3/4 of an ounce I would buy the 126 hands down. Now if the 180 double or even came close to doubling the 126w that would make the 180w the winner and worth the extra money.

If the 180w watt did not outperform the 126w by at least double it seems like it would be worth getting two of the 126w which would be more watts but would give me more option on how I wanted to grow or expand.

Anyway enough rambling a little bit on the stoned side so I hope this made at least a little sense. Again thanks for the journal....

Nicely said, I would say that if the 180w produced an ounce to make things easy and the 126w produced 3/4 of an ounce I would buy the 126 hands down. Now if the 180 double or even came close to doubling the 126w that would make the 180w the winner and worth the extra money.

If the 180w watt did not outperform the 126w by at least double it seems like it would be worth getting two of the 126w which would be more watts but would give me more option on how I wanted to grow or expand.

Anyway enough rambling a little bit on the stoned side so I hope this made at least a little sense. Again thanks for the journal....

that is a good point because if you used two 126w it would only be 72w more then the 180w and you would get more pentration and foot print and more growing options at the coast of runing a house light. good way to think about it. but if the 180w came close to double the yeild then that would be a differnt story.

You will want to use grams/watt-hour for comparison purposes. That will be your most accurate criterion.

You could also look at grams/dollar (cost of the light), but that is short term thinking. Even if grams/$ is cheaper with one light, if the other had a higher g/watt-hr number, the difference in cost savings for electric alone would more than make up for it very quickly.

If you're looking at initial cost, don't forget to include shipping. In the continental US, right now that's:

$450 (126W) = $3.57/watt for Hydro Grow LED
$713.12 (180W) = $3.96/watt for ProSource Worldwide (UPS Ground)

Regards,

-TL

Hi irishboy

I'm loving this journal. Especially all the other folks adding they're way of figuring value. sure are allot of ways to think about the outcome. I can see value in both, but I would really like to see one of them just kick the others ass, that would make the decision a whole lot easier.

Sorry about the mites, little bastards.

Hi irishboy

I'm loving this journal. Especially all the other folks adding they're way of figuring value. sure are allot of ways to think about the outcome. I can see value in both, but I would really like to see one of them just kick the others ass, that would make the decision a whole lot easier.

Sorry about the mites, little bastards.

lol. i agree i want the same thing so its a no brainer on picking a light.

Haight lowered their price for the PPF-800 to $495 a few weeks ago. They also changed the rating to equivalent to 600 watt HPS.

Just my opinion on the payback calculation you guys are discussing. I don't think it's reasonable to consider any yeild differential that may occur (on way or the other) over just a single grow. After all you will be using the light more than once?

Just my opinion on the payback calculation you guys are discussing. I don't think it's reasonable to consider any yield differential that may occur (on way or the other) over just a single grow. After all you will be using the light more than once?

I completely agree with this and would add that the true value of these lights, at least to me, can't be established until they have been used on numerous strains and in every conceivable grow style. These side by side comparisons of lights are an outstanding beginning...but that's all it is at this point. Hopefully the research being done here will continue and the manufacturers of the lights get some useful real world data that they can use to improve their products.

I completely agree with this and would add that the true value of these lights, at least to me, can't be established until they have been used on numerous strains and in every conceivable grow style. These side by side comparisons of lights are an outstanding beginning...but that's all it is at this point. Hopefully the research being done here will continue and the manufacturers of the lights get some useful real world data that they can use to improve their products.

AGREE:thanks:

You can't make one light for this or that strain, just like you don't use different grades of MH/HPS for various strains! to me it either grows and Buds well or it doesn't, and if it grows well and buds ok, with less heat, and electricity used then it's still a success to me! There will always be a place for these lights in STEALTH grows for sure!

Just my 2 cents any way!

STG

What would I heat my basement with if I switched to LEDs? :ganjamon:

I have to say this thread has gone a long way towards dispelling my doubts about LEDs - they are definitely a good choice for a stealth grow or anytime heat is an issue. It's going to be very interesting to see how they produce.

Great job Irishboy!

You will want to use grams/watt-hour for comparison purposes. That will be your most accurate criterion.

You could also look at grams/dollar (cost of the light), but that is short term thinking. Even if grams/$ is cheaper with one light, if the other had a higher g/watt-hr number, the difference in cost savings for electric alone would more than make up for it very quickly.

If you're looking at initial cost, don't forget to include shipping. In the continental US, right now that's:

$450 (126W) = $3.57/watt for Hydro Grow LED
$713.12 (180W) = $3.96/watt for ProSource Worldwide (UPS Ground)

Regards,

-TL

I'd use the pre-shipping numbers. If the shipping is the only thing making me pick one light over the other I'm calling someone and asking if they want to lose a sale over the shipping cost. I think you'd be surprised how many aren't willing to lose it. I'd agree cost per watt is a more accurate way to judge, but not sure how hours works in there. To get the most accurate comparison you'd want to compare cost per watt vs. yield per watt. Who ever has the highest yield per watt vs. cost per watt ratio wins.

Just my opinion on the payback calculation you guys are discussing. I don't think it's reasonable to consider any yeild differential that may occur (on way or the other) over just a single grow. After all you will be using the light more than once?

I have to disagree. I think all strains came from the same mom so things should be equal there. In every other conceivable way the Hydro LED is the underdog. Lower cost, lower watts, and I think important, this is irish first grow with the Hydro, he's got one under his belt with Prosource. If the Prosource doesn't handily beat the Hydro, or if it's even close, I'd go with the Hydro and if I'm that concerned add a 63w and still be less $$ and pretty close to = watts. Adding another Hydro light than brings up the discussion of who's got the bigger "sweet spot". How many plants can I get in the sweet spot of 1 - 180w vs. 1 - 126w? Under 1 - 126w AND 1 - 63w vs 1 - 180w?

That is a great point. Adding that light making watts equal would be a great solution making all equal and at much less of a cost at least initial cost. We will see how it all works out but if its close that would be a great comparison for future grow....

i am not only looking at total yeild on this test. i am looking at bottom bud groth, vegging, fluffy buds, leavefy buds, total vagor of plant, thickness of stems, total yeild, potentcey of bud. the light that dosent win will be removed from my grow room and sold on e-bay or to somone on the fourm if they want a cheap price led light. and i will be buying more of the winning light for my next grow, if the total weight is that differnt from each light.

now if i dont get good yeild from either light then i am going to go with HPS and grow some monsters that i know for sure HID will do. ive already been testing leds for 3 grows and this will be my last time if i get $hity yeild, because everything in my grow room is right on the dot and my plants are very healthy, their is no reason why these girls should flower like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom