Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

well the pot size determines the rootball size and that in turn decides the size of the plant and ultimately the yield ... i grow in about 15l of cocos if you use 10l smartpots or airpots you can easely fill that 4x8 with just 8 plants really maximum 10 i still think ten is to much ... 5 Oz should be a walk in the park ... you can kill half of your plants and still get handsomely more then 5 Oz lol

Don't want to seem like an Arse...but...with that kind of horsepower, you should be able to pull a # plus out of that space...and like Pter suggested...10 would be too much!...less can be more, if everything is dialed in, even 6 or 8 auto's should/could yield a #...cheerz...h00k...:rollit:

3 x600 w in a 2.4x1.2m space will do 40oz dry . pot size doesn't matter in hydro if you multifeed and use correct plants per m2. smaller pot size means more pots per m2. I personally grow 2-4 plants per light max but you could put 20 plants in there depending on your regimen. why use autos when photos are just a s fast when dome correctly, cost less to grow and give better quality in most cases.

Just make sure you use an ec/ppm meter to make up nutrient mix and never go off the bottles recommendations with base nutrient. start light in soil and slowly build it up.

The question on the 1000w bulb. get sun master dual spec they are good. Any quality digital ballast will run MH bulbs as well. Its a lie that hps costs more to run than LED in a like for like situation. You will likely find you get better results switching to the HPS bulb unless you've had quality LED with real output. When you start spending over a 1000£/$ per light the quality and out put starts to get good in most cases. Anything that costs a few hundred bucks is supplement lighting at best in my opinion. Ive grown maybe 30k plants and tried just about everything you can think of so ive pretty much seen it all.

Thanks Cultivator, Didnt end up going with the 1K - just a 250 MH, gonna see how that holds up. Costs vs benefits etc. Budget and whatnot. Could you please tell me how close I can/should put it to my plant? plants about 10-15cm tall and has several leaves just started nutes... 18 days old. Is Shaman by Dutch Passion. Currently sitting about 70cm away although im sure I could go closer just don't wanna fry the thing.

Also I agree with the whole LED thing, I haven't experienced $1K LEDS but have with the cheeper (won't name as some are sponsors) and the overall yield was avg. But also many ef ups on my end although potency and quality wise was great.

LED is also slower in growth from what ive seen too.

Also the PPM was at 320 fed with spring water (just for now) but after first feed I diluted that again. Its responding nicely. I won't go HAM yet :) - Water only next.

As a rough guideline I am for a gram obtained per watt, yes?

70cm is fine, allow the plant to grow closer and it will tell you if its too much. 250w isn't much and you will need an hps for flowering. 400w is minimum for anything worthwhile but id recommend minimum 600w. its not expensive to run and return for space is far superior.

A gram per watt is about top end on hps lighting if everything is perfect.

Hey everyone!

I have a 2’x2’x4’ tent (.6mx.6mx1.2m) with a generic 300w full spectrum white light LED, plus some other lights to supplement. Since adding the 300w light, I’ve been having higher heat in the tent than I would like, especially considering that I live in a pretty hot part of the world.

House has a/c, but this is a tent in a closet, so not as much mixing of cool room air as I would prefer.

So, here is my thought: I’m tempted to open up my 300w LED and remove the drivers and wire them to operate outside the tent. I’ll still have heat in the tent from the bulbs, but I’m thinking the heat sink may be more efficient if it’s only having to dissipate heat from the LEDs and not also have to deal with drivers within the same case.

Good idea? Bad idea? What are the thoughts from the peanut gallery? :Namaste:

So you have no air exchange so heat is gonna just build up until you open the closet! How many fans you got circulating air inside? I would try a fan before i messed with my light.

if ur house has ac can u just turn the temps down in ur grow room only and pull in air from coldest room and extract hot air out a window, or cieling vent or something?

It’s a closet, so it pulls from the ambient air in the room or closet. Outside air would be much warmer than what I would want, however it’s an older home and the a/c isn’t the best in that room.

I agree that venting outside or out of the room would be better, however that would require putting holes in the walls or ceiling. That’s not an option.

70cm is fine, allow the plant to grow closer and it will tell you if its too much. 250w isn't much and you will need an hps for flowering. 400w is minimum for anything worthwhile but id recommend minimum 600w. its not expensive to run and return for space is far superior.

A gram per watt is about top end on hps lighting if everything is perfect.

Feck im over budget already. This (250) will have to suffice until im saving money/get a yield. If I get 200g ill be loving life. Its all personal for medicinal purposes too... Ill look into it and yeh I think it liked the light and the spacing as it noticeably grew overnight. Cultivator - may I pick your brain on the top of lighting schedules? - 24/0.... 20/4.... or 18/6 - for veg (whats your preferred) has anyone done a cost vs benefit analysis on the subject, surely... Do they actually need a bit of rest (the way nature intended) :)

How will I know if the plant gets too close. Would the leaves curl etc?

Many thanks

18/6 is best in my opinion. Plant will develop better roots faster with dark period and grow faster. You def will need a hps bulb for flower. you wasting time flowering with a 250w mh you won't get anything.

OK - Ill see what I can do ideally id like a 600 HPS. 18/6 it is then :)

Back
Top Bottom