Bassman59's Revenge of the Clones! 600w Pro-Bloom LED - RDWC - Grow #2

Ok, 5 days after update. I couldnt resist waiting any longer!

Lets first take a look at our Monday before and after defoliating pics:

PB280049.JPG
PB280050.JPG
PB280051.JPG

Now here's a set of pics in progression. The only thing I did this week was to bend a few branches outwards last nite.

here's 48 hrs after the defoliating:
PB300052.JPG
PB300053.JPG

72 hrs after:

PC010054.JPG

4 days after:
PC020056.JPG
PC020057.JPG

and today, 5 days after:
PC020057.JPG
PC020056.JPG

Needless to say, it hasnt hurt them!

So, just to be a bit more repetitive :morenutes:

Pics below are 8 days after that big defoliation. I need to do a res change today or tomorrow. Been busy/lazy.

I did a little bending during the week. Didn't realize it but I actually broke 1 branch. Noticed it some 24 hrs later. No worries, let her get propped up by another plant. 2 days later, totally healed and trained exactly where I wanted it to go. Way outside.

Well I would say our nodes are a bit close ya? Knew this would be the case. Plants are 13-14" tall. I really need to figure out how the hell I'm going to contain them some!

I am at least two weeks away from being able to go into flower. This is going to be nuts. I kinda knew that going into it too because I took these clones hours before 36hrs lights out and flip to flower in my tent. And these things rooted super fast.

Lest we forget, they are under only two x two bulb cfl's. Two spectrums (i dont recall which exactly) of I think 26w or so. Hell I dont recall, but you get the point.

I am short on funds to get the parts I want when I move this into flower. I am thinking 6 (I really dont think I can fit 8 in tent) 3.5g buckets with 6" netpots. I would cut about 1.5" (maybe 2") out of centers of netpots and lead the roots through (that's going to be work & fun). Then surround them all with hydroton. *note to self to get some more hydroton too*

From there, hook up each 3.5g tub in series with reinforced tubing or pvc (undecided). I like the idea of going with tubing and clamping into on/off valves for entry-exit in each tub. This allows me a precautionary measure in case I need to unhook hosing and reroute or move plants for any reason. However, pvc will give unfettered flow where reinforced hose could be a pain to make small bends too.

Then I have to setup two reservoirs. One outside the tent, hoping 20g would be fine. And a smaller say 5-7g inside the tent (I hate taking up room inside tent). External pump would pull on a main line from the last tub(s) and feed to chiller then return to outside main res. Main res feeding smaller res with float valve.

If I get the balls to do it, I could stack both reservoirs outside and cut a hole in the bottom of my tent to run the feed into the plants. This would be a huge plus in giving me room.

I also know that unless I top some more these plants will be 40" tall or more. Thus I now have to make up a much tighter-lower hangar for light to be able to raise it up closer to the roof of tent. I'm at max height now in my other grow unless I shorten the cables going ^^ to the height adjusters. Wasting 1 foot of adjustment presently. This means at the top of my current canopy I am actually getting less outer width coverage and I will need max coverage on these in flower at maturity.

Sorry for so much ramble. But chime in if you have ideas or thoughts.

On to pics:
PC060074.JPG
PC060075.JPG
PC060076.JPG
PC060077.JPG

there is alot of undergrowth there, maybe cut some of that back, will make some extra cuts u could potentially sell and make some that money u need to get the rest of ur needed items. it will promote more growth, but u can always crop them and tie them down. plants are looking real nice. keep up the great work. look forward to seeing more of this in the future.

Thanks DJK,

This grow is going for monster bush with big buds top to bottom. Totally learning on this but it's high defoliation, going for max yield. Most of that undergrowth you see all leads up to top of canopy (or will). It's too early to take clones for my own growing. And tbh, I dont know anyone that would buy some cuttings in my area. I do figure to take cutting right before I flip. I may turn two of these into moms too and bonsai them some.

looks great... the only thing i could say coming from a small grow space with no option to add on or even add really anything right outside the room, would be to hook up those 2 main res outside the tent. for me anyhow, i need as much space as i can get as i cant bend very well with my back injured.
let me know if you find a way to tame those girls a bit, im in the same boat... altough that is hard to do because we want the most we can get out of our space

Hey bassman pro job on the defoliation, i agree with dj think some of that lower under growth could be taken off, also remove any dead matter to stop any fungus or mould coming once your ladies get realy busy. keep it clean its your only defence against pests and diseases especially when your ladies have been suppercropped, often there can be small cracks in your stems.

As for high there isnt much you can do, add a screen and spread the canopy out, only it will make getting to the res a bit of a pain in the arse, there is air scrog or keep topping her to slow her vertical growth.

Edit: Running a fan through the under growth will help circulate air, as these girls are going to get bushy it somthing that should be though about.

Keep up the good grow :thumb:

This is going to be a sick grow!

I still can't put these into flower yet. I res changed yesterday and they are doing insanely well. I still need to pick off the dead trims from defols and will do so but I took the pics below before hand.

They certainly are doing great with the BPN nutes!

I even took about 15 big fans at the top of the canopy yesterday.

The three front plants were the ones I thought I could lose. Yet they are doing really good now and I have no thought of them dying on me.

I've put red & black arrows in numerous of these pics. Each arrow relates to what I expect to see as a top cola type bud at or near top of canopy with no light shading when they go to flower.

These bastards are 13-17" tall! With 3x stretch they are going to be too damn big! :cheer:

I really have no clue how I'm going to get all these to maturity in a 4x4 tent. I can't put them in for probably at least a week too. And I'll still need to transplant them and give them a cpl days adjustment I guess.

Here's a looky loo:
PC150112.JPG
PC150113.JPG
PC150114.JPG
PC150115.JPG
PC150117.JPG
PC150118.JPG
PC150119.JPG
PC150120.JPG
PC150121.JPG
PC150122.JPG

Re-posted from grow room setups sub forum:

I've got myself into a bit of a problem.

I have 8 clones in veg for 49 days with heavy defoliating & topping a couple times waiting to go into tent (they are in closet in dwc under 4 cfl's) when I pull my current grow out to harvest. I'll probably get to pull them in a week or so.

Problems:

1. These clones are kinda massive with all the defoliating, fim, topping I did. Six of them are between 15"-17" tall, one is 9-10", one is 12-13". ALL are going to be very wide bushes.

2. I have in my tent already two DWC tubs just like tulips tutorial. They can be seen in my 1st grow journal link in sig. I turned them into rdwc when I got a chiller. They are linked with drain tubes at bottom to a "T" line, to the external pump to the chiller. Then out the chiller to another "T" between the two tubs near their top to fill. This works fine with two tubs, though maintaining even water levels can be a challenge.

3. I need to add another tub since I can't afford to build a whole new 6-8 bucket rdwc presently.

4. I really think in the back of my mind they will be too big for the tent and too big for the tubs with 3 plants in two of them.

5. The biggest issue if I do put them all in there is how to RDWC without a main feed reservoir. Just strictly recirculating them all. The issue with a main feed res is zero room in the tent. Outside the tent the issue becomes how do I use only 1 reservoir (another 10g tub) and get proper water levels in tent.

I have a partial design idea I need feedback on. Using my terrible mspaint skills, I have a pic below. Now, the issue is where exactly do I put the feed / drain lines in the tubs? I have 3/4" tubing presently. Two tubs already have holes - lines set up in bottom and top. Feeding them is no issue with my 395gph external pump going to the chiller and filling from the top.

However, if run in series they wont get "pumped" into tubs 2 & 3.

So how do I feed all tubs? Where do I put each line, feed and drain from one tub to the next?
rdwc_design1-2.png

I'm looking for your ideas folks!

Very impressive Bassman. I am sub'd. Query: how much time have you added to your veg cycle with the bending and cropping compared with not doing any at all?

Will you crop during flower?

Elusive, thanks for your support and joining in on this ride.

This is me learning a few things at once.

1st successful cloning, 100% yay!

Defoliation, a Hi-yield technique.

The long veg is because I cant move them into my tent until my 1st grow is out which is very soon. Part of this massive defoliation does require a bit longer veg as I understand it. IIRC, maybe adding a week -10 days. Now I do not expect the same results of experienced growers in using this technique. But, growers have reported yields of 10-15z per plant, indoors, with plants of 32" cubed. If I got 5z per I'd be ecstatic. Thrilled with 4z per. And I'd have the wood of a 19 yr old at 8z + per! :thumb:

As to your question on cropping during flower. The plan is to do a MAJOR de leafing at the end of stretch (21 days roughly), and then again at 45 days. This is to open up all the bud sites in this wide canopy to light all the way to the bottom. In the end, the hopes are there is no popcorn whatsoever. Part of this is/was meant to also be achieved through the training and defoliation during veg spreading the nodes out wide.

I hope this answers your query

I know I mentioned adding a week-10 days with this defoliating. My added time is more than that because I'm waiting on tent to be clear from current grow. But the general rule as I understand it is you'll add a week or maybe two.

@Tweed, Nope, not cramping below at all. Some intertwining in there but no cramping. The roots are a plenty but not massive. after 3 weeks of flower I'm sure the story would be different.

@jjames, just 2 each lil ole 2700k and 5700k 23w-26w cfls. 4-6" above for the most part.

@Cultivator, thanks. Ya, it's still a learning experience for me.

I think I'm going for harvest in tent Monday by the looks of things. So maybe if I'm lucky and energetic enough I can get the new system wrangled out and out these into flower by Tues-Weds. If I do I'll take cuttings from these which will clear some lower do nothing spots and make the training just a bit easier. Which of course means I'll have a butt load of clones, and nearly 6 weeks of vegging & defoliating on those too!

Back
Top Bottom