Br4iNl3sS 1st Grow Journal - Indoor - Grow Tent - Coco Coir - Crown Royal - MH300

Excellent post b'less! You answered most excellently. Disclaimer: I don't use coco - never have.
Did the leaf issues start after transplant or were they already evident in the potting soil?
If you feed with every watering, your mix sounds good for now. I don't use RapidStart but you probably could have gone a little heavier on it. I know you are treating this like pure hydro and with coco that's probably wise. Still, you seem a close to the low side on PH = very little room for error. It could explain the leaf problems, but dunno.

Excellent post b'less! You answered most excellently. Disclaimer: I don't use coco - never have.
Did the leaf issues start after transplant or were they already evident in the potting soil?
If you feed with every watering, your mix sounds good for now. I don't use RapidStart but you probably could have gone a little heavier on it. I know you are treating this like pure hydro and with coco that's probably wise. Still, you seem a close to the low side on PH = very little room for error. It could explain the leaf problems, but dunno.

The leaf problem started like 10 days ago before the transplant, Masonman stated he tought it was because of the heat... often hitting 84-85 :( also i JUST STARTED giving nutes 4 days ago it was the first time i gave nutes (still didint water her for a second time with nutes yet) pot seem light but leafs donsent seem wilt, and yeah tap water PH is around 8+ :eek: that might have not helped :p /If i can give advice to any new grower here. Wait till you have all your set up and instrument and nutes before you start or make shure you get them very soon. Took me almost 3 week before i could afford the nutes i think that really hurt my grow that and not being able to control environment as good as i wanted :( Also 1 more question if i add 2 CFL in the corners in diagonal with a Y splitter (so 4 in total) for the flowering do you think i will have enough light to let he grow a little bit more ? i was hoping to make her a little bit bigger than what she is (flipping in 2 week will give me a weak harvest i think) You learn from your mistakes i guess :p

DAY 27: I just attempted to top her... we will see what happens :p Probably water tomorrow still no wilt though.

day_27_3.jpg
day_27_21.jpg
day_27_1.jpg
day_279.jpg

IDK how much difference four CFLs would make. I think they could help but only if they are the higher wattage bulbs and kept very close to the plant.

Just my opinion, but on a first grow I wouldn't SCROG. Keep it simple and learn the basics. Dial in your environment. You don't have enough light coverage to make her spread out very much. Heavier training or fluxing can take time. I prefer to turn a grow over quickly and get more grows per year for more variety - especially in a small space. I will top a plant once or twice. There's nothing wrong with a SCROG. If you want to try it, go for it. I'm not sure you will get enough extra yield to justify it with your current light.

For an example, these were flipped 38 days from the day of germination. They went from Solo cups, to 1 gal. pots, and finally into 7 gal. pots just before the flip. I could have let them veg longer but wanted to keep them compact due to space limitations. This pic' was a couple days before the move to 7 gal. and the flip.
GASS1.jpg

I did a little LST on them and this was the result 60 days later. They averaged 2 oz. per plant when dried and cured. Your MH-300 would cover a single plant like this, IMO.
GASS1-42.jpg
GASS1-13.jpg

Those leaves that were damage earlier probably wont turn back green. Got to pay attention to the new growth.

The very 2 top most leaves were discolored, but should start to turn green if the problem has been fixed. I'm seeing some real small baby leaf sets starting to sprout. Those are what you really want to pay attention to. If everything has been fixed, they should grow to be normal green leaves.

Major... am I seeing a little Mg deficiency? I always hear that coco and LEDs are a double whammy for having to supplement cal/mag if using Ro or Distilled water. It doesn't look like heat stress to me.

Brainless... what are you using for water? Tap, RO, distilled, well water? Sorry, I cannot remember.

P.S. If you can, turn off your LEDs before you take your pictures. Blurple makes it real hard to see what's going on.

Hang in there bro... Try not to get discouraged. We know you're trying real hard. It'll pay off in the end.

Major... am I seeing a little Mg deficiency? I always hear that coco and LEDs are a double whammy for having to supplement cal/mag if using Ro or Distilled water. It doesn't look like heat stress to me.

P.S. If you can, turn off your LEDs before you take your pictures. Blurple makes it real hard to see what's going on.

Hang in there bro... Try not to get discouraged. We know you're trying real hard. It'll pay off in the end.

Yep - I agree with ^all^. It could be Mg deficit. Always hard to tell, but the bit of leaf tacoing and saw-toothed margins sure looks like it is a possibility.

Those leaves that were damage earlier probably wont turn back green. Got to pay attention to the new growth.

The very 2 top most leaves were discolored, but should start to turn green if the problem has been fixed. I'm seeing some real small baby leaf sets starting to sprout. Those are what you really want to pay attention to. If everything has been fixed, they should grow to be normal green leaves.

Brainless... what are you using for water? Tap, RO, distilled, well water? Sorry, I cannot remember.

I'm pretty sure the 2 top leaves went back to an "uniform" green color the day after i gave them nutes for the first time. there is baby leaf sprouting at the base of every 5 finger+ leaves :) at least 2 on each branch so 4 per story :p first watering was demineralised water D: but after that tap water for the rest of the growth unless you tell me otherwise :p Also the LED is the only light in that room so i have to take her out every time :p will do that as long as it is not in the final 5 gal :D

I have a single CFL running on the same timer as my LED, so I can turn off the LED and see the real color and take pictures.

and Bob's your uncle... ;)

Well, thanks for the update on the leaf color. Sounds like she's straightened out.

I don't know what to say about the tap water. every municipality has different water quality. I have well water and I don't use it because I haven't had it tested. I buy bottles of distilled, and use the water from my dehumidifier. I like to reduce all the unknowns to the point that if there is a problem, it must have been operator error.

+ Reps for healing your plant...

DAY 30: upper leave look good i think :p tomorrow im gonna kick my ass to go get some cal mag... I'm still lost about watering once a week with coco... but its damp so no watering... also i included a pic of my set up small 4 inches fan on the bottom left intake "fresh air" and a random small fan blowing on her 24/7 to thicken the stem and make shure no parasite get on her. Also im not shure about turning her into flower next week since she is like 7 or 8 inches height right now... so i wouldnt mind if she grew 32" total... maybe i'm over confident with my light... we will see i will flip her soon-ish though :)

day_30_3_1_.jpg
day_30_2_1_.jpg
day_30_1_1_.jpg
day_30_1_2.jpg

Also im not shure about turning her into flower next week since she is like 7 or 8 inches height right now... so i wouldnt mind if she grew 32" total... maybe i'm over confident with my light... we will see i will flip her soon-ish though :)

The CalMag (or at least some Epsoms) is a good idea. I know growers say you can over-water in coco, but as long as she is healthy and there is weight in the pot, I think you are making the right call.

Being as she is mostly indica, a small plant getting flipped will probably double to triple in height. You could easily control the height with a little training, but I think you light will only cover about an 18" width and still have good bloom-strength light. That's why I posted the pictures of my small-ish plants. You can see where they were at the flip and how big they ended up. Every strain varies so yours could be bigger. I had problems with the soil I was using on that grow. The plants never really hooked up the way they should have.

DAY 31: Uhhhh ohhhhh spaghettios i dont know what happened but she is SUPER beat up today... i went and got some cal mag today, i left my tent open for 5 min while i was adding the cal-mag to the water and check ph and when i got back to my tent look like my cat chew some leafs... or she was so dry that leaves disintegrated... i really dont know what happened :S From bad to worst

DAY_31_32.jpg
DAY_31_22.jpg
DAY_31_12.jpg
DAY_3115.jpg

Yeah man the calmag and Epson salt is a must, learned my lesson the first time now I have two bigger bags laying about for whenever I need it. Cats love them greenos man, it will recover just give it some time. Did you do a flush of the plant before you gave the calmag?

uhhhhh nope i didint flush :| i only gave nutes once though... and i did 1/2 of recommended mix

Back
Top Bottom