Colombian Gold Grow: Come Learn With Me How To Produce Your Own Seeds!

I should have added... everything I wrote above is a combination of old high school biology (a LONG time ago) and what I've read here from folks like @beez0404 @Pennywise and @Chris Scorpio. I am just reversing my first plant - also an auto - and anxiously awaiting the arrival of "floral testicles." LOL. :)

Floral Testicls lol

Ive also learned from reading. And thanks to OP for making this thread ;)

Now im wondering if you cross a grapefruit with a blueberry are you necessarily getting a blue/grapefruit flavor? Or a random new flavor. I understand its alot more complicated then this on a molecular level. But do you think fruit flavors will pair well or its a hit or miss deal? Also is there any research that dictates if you must use 12/12 lighting or 18/6 while the plant is getting dusted or growing seeds?

I have my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks Penny... I think I saw the first signs of boys showing up for the party today. Will check again tomorrow!

Are you back to 100%, or close to it? Hoping that your recovery is almost complete.

Now im wondering if you cross a grapefruit with a blueberry are you necessarily getting a blue/grapefruit flavor? Or a random new flavor. I understand its alot more complicated then this on a molecular level. But do you think fruit flavors will pair well or its a hit or miss deal? Also is there any research that dictates if you must use 12/12 lighting or 18/6 while the plant is getting dusted or growing seeds?

I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge, but others know a lot more than me...

On the results of crosses... I think it is a bit of a crap shoot. It all comes down to traits that are dominant versus recessive. Like autoflowering is a recessive trait, so as soon as you introduce a photoperiod parent, that trait dominates, until you get to later generations. I think there are also traits or characteristics that are the result of several genomes acting in concert, so it is not like a single gene makes it smell/taste like blueberry. If you do a cross, you might loose one aspect of blueberry, but pick up another trait from the grapefruit parent. So I guess the short answer is "hit or miss" but sure will be a lot of fun trying!

On the lighting hours... if you are crossing photoperiod plants, I think you would want to be at 12/12 as the seed maturing is part of the flowering process. If you are crossing autos, then it doesn't matter, as they are independent from light times.

As I said, just based on the limited knowledge I have.

EDIT to add: if you are running autos, I'd suggest 20/4. That appears to be the consensus for best yield and rest time.

beez, you said
"I'm all done brushing the colloidal silver onto the Quarter Pounder auto plant. There are enough pollen sacks that I don't want to accidentally brush the CS on to the pollen sacks. So as my friend always says from this point on "It is what it is". "

so as soon as you start seeing sacs, are you very careful not to get it on the sacs? im assuming because that would ruin the pollen... where do you paint the cs at that point?

Back
Top Bottom