Copperrein's Sponsored BESTVA LED & Homegrown Cannabis Co Triathlon Of Sativa

All caught up again and they are looking great! I need to try SCROG and see if I like it. Yours is filling out nicely! I'm worried I would totally screw mine up. Lol
Oh wait until these are harvested and I can show you the branching...stuff's been woven in and out in a not so efficient manner. I have no idea how people get their quads and mains so perfect. Some of my outdoor girls are really lop-sided. I like to think it gives them character

Woo! I didn't train a single branch. I did a couple bigger fanleaves that were blocking bud sites. Holy shit I cannot wait to have this summer business shit wrapped up so I can start working on a proper growroom. It's gonna have lawn chairs and shit. I just want to be able to hang out with my plants.

pH 6.3
EC 3.8

Kinda curious about that EC. Res change is tomorrow...imma let it ride and see what happens.

Hey friends. Will this hold 2" of water safely? It's a Botanicare Grow Tray, 4ft x 4ft.
hgc707090-01.jpg

Guys...what would happen if I grew hydro outside? I've got a couple 55 gallon drums....what if I recreated this system next year scaled up outside? My netpots could be those super heavy ABS debris basket things they put over overflow sewer pipes. How big can these plants go? Jim Belushi grows literal trees...his plants dwarf my cherry trees. Can they go bigger?

Anyhoo....res change today. My little vivosun pump is finally going due to the high mineral content of my well water. Plan is do a vinegar treatment on the pump while I...uh....I guess sit on my ass. Can't really pump water out if the pump's not in the res (a little toasty rn). Haaaa so yeah. I could also walk my butt out to the sauna and grab this pump's twin...but it's so gross outside idunwanna.

YOU BACK @Weaselcracker ? I wanna show you my plants. Also I'm still jealous you can just fucking sail the fuck away from society when you want.

The plants:

So I never covered the big open channel in my res and light has always been allowed to enter. I'm curious why the majority of people scream 'all hydro must by lightproof!'? Am I really lucky? I have yet to see any algae in the res, nor has anything else shown signs it's growing down there.

I know nothing about hydro, so I can't comment. But I do have a question.
Do you prefer hydro over a soil grow and why.

Your results are amazing anyway. You plants always look so healthy.
But is it not time consuming and is there any noticeable difference on yield or quality? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious..

I know nothing about hydro, so I can't comment. But I do have a question.
Do you prefer hydro over a soil grow and why.

Your results are amazing anyway. You plants always look so healthy.
But is it not time consuming and is there any noticeable difference on yield or quality? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious..
I think I do prefer hydro right now. It's nearly 100% controllable which feeds into my 'fuck around and find out' mindset better? Soil's cool, I like the sort of nerding @NuttyProfessor does with soil but for me that's more work than I'm ready to put into the hobby. Soil's great outside, especially with stuff like @GeoFlora Nutrients and @GreenSafe. I have yet to push an outdoor soil plant too far...which is where part of my boredom is coming from. I like to be tinkering with shit and always improving upon my workflow. Soil's only so modifiable. Fertigation might be a thing in the future, tho.

So far this system is pretty hands off, aside from my $30 fountain pump complaining about my incredibly hard water (next pump is gonna be a magnetic drive and far more rugged), nothing's been an issue. With the coir I have +/- .2 drift in pH from res change to res change. I still have to check it daily and I can fiddle with water level, light distance, fans...everything.

I'm not sure on yield yet. I'm toying with the idea of picking four of my favs from everything I have growing right now, and doing a 4 hydro/4 soil outdoor comparison next year. I could get super 'cray cray' and do 3 soil/3 hydro outside and 3 soil/3 hydro inside.

Just watching the initial stages of growth between my hydro and soil girls makes me feel like hydro outside could really explode yields.

Cool. Thanks for that. It sounds like you are well suited to hydro, it fits with your personality.
I do understand that you can only push so hard in soil but for me, I just like to water and walk away. Im soooo fekin lazy ... I think there must be a passion to try hydro, and that is one thing I haven't got. That drive to try something new.

it would be great to see the comparison grow though.
anyway.
thanks again for answering my questions.
your plants are awesome by the way :thumb:

Cool. Thanks for that. It sounds like you are well suited to hydro, it fits with your personality.
I do understand that you can only push so hard in soil but for me, I just like to water and walk away. Im soooo fekin lazy ... I think there must be a passion to try hydro, and that is one thing I haven't got. That drive to try something new.

it would be great to see the comparison grow though.
anyway.
thanks again for answering my questions.
your plants are awesome by the way :thumb:
No, you're awesome. I thought about you just now when I noticed the price tag on my lye:

Federal Pipe is this badass plumbing/welding store down in Detroit. They have everything a normal person could want like graphite cutting rods or 3" malleable steel bolts and nuts for fucking old bridges. Nails by the pound, every kind of conceivable chain from anchor to clock. Plus there's a really good White Castle across the street. Seriously...it's like Wonka's candy room thing but for wrenchers.

Anyhoo, I needed the lye because I over pH down'd my res during res change.

Since they're drinking more I've increased their res to 9 gallons and fed accordingly. @Prescription Blend I had an idea: make the feed chart a little bigger on that sheet and give us a space below each nute and week to take notes on feed amounts. I'm always having to write on feed charts and I would imagine other people do so, as well. I dunno, just an idea.

I cleaned my pumps in a 50/50 vinegar and water bath. I should say they cleaned themselves while I cleaned the bong.

Speaking of bong cleaning I need to thank @Nunyabiz for a couple of their posts on here about not totally cleaning glass after every session. The idea seems to be similar to how creosote will build up on a chimney, layers of volatiles in the wood gasses continuously depositing onto the existing resinous coating. I suspect by allowing a sort of 'seasoning' to accumulate in my bong, I've made a second type of filter that's further cleaning the smoke of throat-burning volatiles.

Thank you, nunya <3 my bong has been sooo much smoother since I stopped scouring it:

The rest of res change went well. Back to being bored.

Oh, also since my plant's comfort is more important than mine...I've crafted a new ventilation system:

Yeeep...

pH 6.3
EC 3.2
Water level no noticeable change.

My buddy I opened the fireworks tent with now wants to start a commercial grow with me. I cackled in reply. I don't ever want this to feel like a job. Growing the same stuff over and over and over the exact same way?

@Prescription Blend I'm so damn tickled with your nutes...the reading from my well water yesterday was 740 with a pH of 8. I'm getting no weird drifts and have been gently bumping up your nutes (sorry. I said I wasn't gonna tinker but...). Plants seem happy. Their colors are so perfect in person. I swoon each time I peek in the tent.

Also apologies to the gallery for my daily flood of images. My plants are like my adorable little babies that I cannot stop from sharing pictures of.

Since they're drinking more I've increased their res to 9 gallons and fed accordingly. @Prescription Blend I had an idea: make the feed chart a little bigger on that sheet and give us a space below each nute and week to take notes on feed amounts. I'm always having to write on feed charts and I would imagine other people do so, as well. I dunno, just an idea.
I'm open to the idea of giving people a place to take notes ;)

As far as outdoor hydro, it's awesome but you have a few things to deal with that can be harder to manage than with indoor. Wind, is the biggest issue and you need to pay attention to giving them enough support since there is no soil mass to anchor the base. Also, water temp can be harder to manage then indoor.

@Squiggle Dude have you ever had a White Castle? So gross but so so good.

Ladies are sitting at pH 6.1 and EC 3.2. Water dropped about a gallon/gallon and a half. I feel like they're speeding up now. Also I believe I'm finally seeing a little sativa in the newest leaves:

Fantastic grow @copperrein :goodjob:
Keep up the great work.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom