Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Hey doc got the kit everything looks great. Quick question I have a 65 gallon composter for the soil that has an air-ation tube running through it wondering if that would pose any problems with the soil drying to much as it cooks? Thanks for any thoughts

Hey doc got the kit everything looks great. Quick question I have a 65 gallon composter for the soil that has an air-ation tube running through it wondering if that would pose any problems with the soil drying to much as it cooks? Thanks for any thoughts

Cooking soil is pretty much the same as composting it...so not only do I think your situation would be OK....I think it might be optimal!

Treat it exactly as if you were composting, but don't let it dry out too much. Slightly moist to the touch, unable to form a clump....only a few "big pieces" left over after squeezing the soil in your fist. You should be able to wipe your hands together and they'd be clean....but you can still detect a slight moisture. That's how the soil should feel.

dig the hole and put a contractor trash bag...one of the heavy duty ones...poke drain holes and shove it in the hole fill it up and good to go....but obviously if you could grow in your back yard DO THAT!:peace:

NIMBY, unfortunately.

But if you're poking holes, why bother with a bag - at least let the worms come and go? Basically I was wondering if the plant in High Brix needed to be isolated from surrounding soil to maintain the High Brix environment. Same would apply to roots growing down from the bottom of a pot into the ground it was sitting on.

Doc says test the soil, which I take to mean it could be just fine or it could be disastrous, might or might not be amendable, and can only be determined by testing, because High Brix is not a matter of guesswork.

NIMBY, unfortunately.

But if you're poking holes, why bother with a bag - at least let the worms come and go? Basically I was wondering if the plant in High Brix needed to be isolated from surrounding soil to maintain the High Brix environment. Same would apply to roots growing down from the bottom of a pot into the ground it was sitting on.

Doc says test the soil, which I take to mean it could be just fine or it could be disastrous, might or might not be amendable, and can only be determined by testing, because High Brix is not a matter of guesswork.

Some associates of mine did some experimentation in a greenhouse with container size. They started with 3x3x18". Roots filled the whole thing....yield was maybe 2-3 pounds.

They kept going up in size, to 6x6x24" all the way up to 10x10x3. In a ten foot square container, 36inches deep, the roots never quite made it to the outside of the container. This set up yielded 6 pounds per plant. Larger beds did not increase yield.

So, digging a ten gallon hole outside would give the plant a very healthy start in life, but the surrounding soil would come into play very early on. I hope that helps!

Some associates of mine did some experimentation in a greenhouse with container size. They started with 3x3x18". Roots filled the whole thing....yield was maybe 2-3 pounds.

They kept going up in size, to 6x6x24" all the way up to 10x10x3. In a ten foot square container, 36inches deep, the roots never quite made it to the outside of the container. This set up yielded 6 pounds per plant. Larger beds did not increase yield.

So, digging a ten gallon hole outside would give the plant a very healthy start in life, but the surrounding soil would come into play very early on. I hope that helps!

Ahh man doc you really making me want to grow in raised beds...in that room you mentioned with LEDs as the ceiling...

Soon enough I hope..

Thanks Doc Bud... Second shipment of kits arrived early and intact. Great packaging and labeling of contents with instructions.
First kit working so good i just had to show some old time soil growers. Don't you add this or that? Questions galore. I've been at hydro for some years and of course the friendly bantering has gone on for years. Now they say , "Wait until the finish product has been tested". Interpretation: " Smoke test " They do remark wow, nice growth , how old, whats in the soil, whats the secret sauce, etc.
Answer: Doc Bud's High Brix............................can u say "smoke test"
Congratulations & Thanks again for your sharing, your passion,.... being you.

Yeah Doc

I figured reaching the surrounding soil was a given, and wondered if it could spoil the Brix ratios or balance. "Test the soil" answered my question perfectly.

I remember about the Rasta's big greenhouse and those big boxes. (I have such a visual image of it - did you post a picture or just describe it really well?) I think you said they had plastic under to isolate it. Didn't they find that 18" was deep enough in the 10X10?

:thanks:

Thanks again as always for taking the time to help us all out here.

Q? for ya Doc.

I have 2 of my HB plants (autos) outside. it rained last night and again today..im not too worried this time since it was time for water and didnt need any feed (aside from the normal 1/4oz transplant i would have added to the water had i watered it). Do i need to worry about the rain flushing out my mix or destroying and soil biota/ activity?? Any thing outside the kit directions you recommend I do after rains??

Thanks
SGA:peace:

Yeah Doc

I figured reaching the surrounding soil was a given, and wondered if it could spoil the Brix ratios or balance. "Test the soil" answered my question perfectly.

I remember about the Rasta's big greenhouse and those big boxes. (I have such a visual image of it - did you post a picture or just describe it really well?) I think you said they had plastic under to isolate it. Didn't they find that 18" was deep enough in the 10X10?

:thanks:

The 10x10 is 36 inches deep, and roots don't reach the bottom or the edges at that size.

Thanks again as always for taking the time to help us all out here.

Q? for ya Doc.

I have 2 of my HB plants (autos) outside. it rained last night and again today..im not too worried this time since it was time for water and didnt need any feed (aside from the normal 1/4oz transplant i would have added to the water had i watered it). Do i need to worry about the rain flushing out my mix or destroying and soil biota/ activity?? Any thing outside the kit directions you recommend I do after rains??

Thanks
SGA:peace:

Be thankful for the rain.....that's all. :high-five:

AAHHHH:):) It's finally getting half decent outside.Summer will come...i know it will! Bin couped up too long! Hey Brix gang...and you know who you are:) What do ya think of my plan?We will all gather once a year...somewhere fu... warm, for ...lets say , a weekend.We will be a club...the (insert cool name) We will laugh are asses off for two days...get to know who you are...welcome new members...hang out with a few pops and some meds:):) Start something ...i mean something else...you know! I say we start somewhere hot ...like Jamaica:) Well....? Cheers!

AAHHHH:):) It's finally getting half decent outside.Summer will come...i know it will! Bin couped up too long! Hey Brix gang...and you know who you are:) What do ya think of my plan?We will all gather once a year...somewhere fu... warm, for ...lets say , a weekend.We will be a club...the (insert cool name) We will laugh are asses off for two days...get to know who you are...welcome new members...hang out with a few pops and some meds:):) Start something ...i mean something else...you know! I say we start somewhere hot ...like Jamaica:) Well....? Cheers!

Weather on Oahu has been fantastic recently/my whole life....

Weather on Oahu has been fantastic recently/my whole life....

Ya ...you Island guys...your all spoiled! Try livin in Southern Ontario, Canada for a yr. or two.Just when things were lookin up ,as far as the weather goes...i got up this morning to 2 more inches of ...ya ...snow:( We're all so tired of winter here,it's not funny any more!Tav..you bin there your whole life? Wow ,nice! I know my idea will never happen ,but it's fun sometimes to imagine the fun we could all have eh...if we got together like that! Cheers Tav!

Update for everyone,

I'm super busy and have decided to harvest the last 4 plants I have in bloom on schedule, then give the room a head to toe, walls scrubbed, floors bleach mopped, 12 hour sulfur burn, treatment before putting the following into bloom:

Purple Cadillac
Lemon Paki
Harlequin.

On deck after that: Jack Herer, OG, Champagne, hopeful Willie Nelson. I only had 2 of 6 beans come up on the Willie.....very disappointing. They were from some seed bank or other. On the other hand, 4 of 4 Jack's sprang right up. I should find a girl amongst those, hopefully of the Indica dom pheno. We shall see.

So, pictures will be a bit scarce for a bit, but I'm always here for talk growing, fish stories, unsolicited advice and negative opinions most subjects.....

Doc,
Everything needs spring cleaning - good luck with yours. I'm planning my annual grow, and need advice and a new kit. My soil will be leftover new soil from last year that was never used, and a partial container of used soil. Some questions and requests:
1. Should I mix the containers together or leave them separate and treat them differently?
2. For my mostly outdoor grow, starting seeds May 1 - 15 still a good plan?
3. Can I expect even better results with your new configurations? I'm considering planting fewer plants - our growing, processing and storing systems have improved enough that I think 4 plants, carefully tended, instead of 6 will work. Opinions welcomed. I guess if my patient runs out, we know where to get great medicine!
4. Do you want any Sungold tomato plants - organic seeds, grown in leftover soil from last year, fertilized with brewed worm compost tea so far? Sungolds are an indeterminate, yellow, very sweet cherry tomato. The seeds were so vigorous I have too many plants.
Will write privately about some other stuff. Love reading all the folks here and the progress made over the last year. In 5 years this will be just like growing tomatoes. Or we will be fighting with corporate growers.

Doc,
Everything needs spring cleaning - good luck with yours. I'm planning my annual grow, and need advice and a new kit. My soil will be leftover new soil from last year that was never used, and a partial container of used soil. Some questions and requests:
1. Should I mix the containers together or leave them separate and treat them differently?
2. For my mostly outdoor grow, starting seeds May 1 - 15 still a good plan?
3. Can I expect even better results with your new configurations? I'm considering planting fewer plants - our growing, processing and storing systems have improved enough that I think 4 plants, carefully tended, instead of 6 will work. Opinions welcomed. I guess if my patient runs out, we know where to get great medicine!
4. Do you want any Sungold tomato plants - organic seeds, grown in leftover soil from last year, fertilized with brewed worm compost tea so far? Sungolds are an indeterminate, yellow, very sweet cherry tomato. The seeds were so vigorous I have too many plants.
Will write privately about some other stuff. Love reading all the folks here and the progress made over the last year. In 5 years this will be just like growing tomatoes. Or we will be fighting with corporate growers.

Mix 'em together, amend, water and let it sit for a month if possible. For starts, use last year's soil while the rest of last year's and the new batch cook.

Use really large pots and those 4 plants will do very well!

Hey Duggan, Your. Concept of a Growers annual meeting sounds Massive !
If we can get some growers together to talk shop, or gets to a state of mind where we can Speak !
The idea is roots Great, anyone else wanna throw in some plan ?
It B Ire !

Have a good 1, Bulldog

Back
Top Bottom