DWC Deep Water Culture. first hydro attempt.

that how the guy at the hydro store described it to me. he said its a .5 scale pen. so whatever it reads to double it for the acutual ppm. i.e. a reading of 5 is 10. and a reading of 625 would be 1250. at least thats what he told me

that how the guy at the hydro store described it to me. he said its a .5 scale pen. so whatever it reads to double it for the acutual ppm. i.e. a reading of 5 is 10. and a reading of 625 would be 1250. at least thats what he told me

You may be able to find out what your meter is if you have the make and model. Try looking it up on the manufacturer's website. This info can be surprisingly difficult to find. I did a test to confirm my Hanna Primo 2 TDS meter and I couldn't find my conversion rate anywhere. Fortunately, I had GH nutrients and using the following page's info, I was able to discern the conversion rate for my meter.

CannaStats - Cal-O-Rama

Towards the bottom, they show that with their tests that 1mL/gal of GH flora grow would be 55 PPM on a .7 meter. My own testing showed a lower value but when put into the calculator at the bottom of the page, I could tell that it was because my meter was using a .5 conversion rate.

Whatever the guy told you at the store was either incorrect or was misunderstood by you. It is confusing in the beginning, but makes more sense once you know what your meter is really telling you. Best just to know EC as that is what the meter truly measures.

In your example of a reading of 625 PPM on a .5 meter would equal 625/500 = 1.25 EC. 1.25 x 700 = 875 PPM on a .7 meter. Two totally different PPM readings that equal the same concentrations.

ok i read the instructions, and no where does it say .5 or .7 scale. but it says TDS up to 9990 ppm (mg/L). and its temp reading is only *C. bastards.

either way. if its reading correct ppm ive been undernuting like crazy.. heres my new question also, i have a nitrogen def. & purple stems, & slight twisting on a few leafs. but the ppm reads 107 x10. (times reading by10) so 1070 i guess. but i originally had the ppm at 625 to make it 1250. but if the scale was right then i only went half strength? idk this shits confusing as hell for my first grow but i will be sticking it out

ok i read the instructions, and no where does it say .5 or .7 scale. but it says TDS up to 9990 ppm (mg/L). and its temp reading is only *C. bastards.

either way. if its reading correct ppm ive been undernuting like crazy.. heres my new question also, i have a nitrogen def. & purple stems, & slight twisting on a few leafs. but the ppm reads 107 x10. (times reading by10) so 1070 i guess. but i originally had the ppm at 625 to make it 1250. but if the scale was right then i only went half strength? idk this shits confusing as hell for my first grow but i will be sticking it out

Remember that the TDS pen cannot measure PPM directly but instead makes a calculation. Since there are different conversion rates, you will see different PPM values for the same electrical conductivity value. I think the different conversion values may have come from the different applications these devices would be used. An ion containing Nitrogen will conduct electricity at a different rate than a Potassium ion and so on. The pens cannot differentiate all the different components so the manufacturer has to set the device to a conductivity average of all the dissolved solids. So, they would need to have in mind what the end user's measured solutions would be composed of in order to even approximate a dissolved solids parts per millon in water value.

So, do know that even if the pen cannot give you a true PPM value, if you use the same nutrients in the same concentrations, your daily log of the PPMs should be consistent in its error, so your relative values to one another will be precise.

Discover a nutrient mix that works for your plants, then document the measured values of that solution. Once you have what works for you, you should be able to easily replicate that nutrient tank in the future.

hey weedy

idk about the whole pen situation but its an interesting grow... ive got a very similar one going right now so this should be cool (youre a lil ahead of me)

hope you figure that out!

when i bought my trimeter a couple of months ago i ordered tds .5 scale. they sent me EC instead. I was mad at first because i was reading it wrong until someone challenged my knowledge of it and i went a re-read the box. but then i was happy because i realized that it was a better scale.

either way, munki's advice is good. start out at half strength, if they show defficiencies, slowly make it stronger till you find where your plants like it and make note and go there from now on.

this is good for two reasons, i have learned through experience, it is better to be light on nutes than heavy, also, every strain can handle a different amount of nutes. you need to find what your strain likes, not just what the manufacturer put down as ideal.

gl brother, i'll be watching the show.

and i will take your guys advice. im gonna use the number as it shows. ill still be light on nutes. but sine i had a N def. i added more and the affected leaves did get worse however the new leaves are not even showing signs of any def. other than purple stems the new growth looks good.

i just got a 400w switchable w/ a Super HPS Hortilux bulb. I will veg for another day or so. then i will flush and flip the switch. the roots have lost some mass but started forming new roots coming out of the sides of the netpot so idk if it goes south i will take all the cuttings and put into soil.

if they do alright ill leave them in hydro. if not ill try hydro again when i have more time and money.

yes the DWC is pretty basic, however i am coming across a few issues. i had a nitrogen def. due to my misread of my ppm pen. however i still think im dealing with root rot. the roots are real dark and loosing mass quick. the new roots are white as can be, so idk what to do.

they are not slimy, just like real soft. idk. i think its due to FF nutes, as opposed to the oxygen in the water. i have 2 stones, an 18" and a 6". should be plenty of air for 8 gal.

my ph stays at 5.5 ive had very few changes, mostly real subtle anyways. like up to 6.0 at highest and 5.0 at lowest. my ppm right now is at 1000. the leaves continue to show some N def. idk what to do, some of the lower branches leaves are shriveling up. not dying but they dont look to good.

ill try to get some pics up tomorrow or the next day.

:ganjamon: Thought I'd just chime in with my two cents here. Brotha man looking great so far. Have no fear DWC Deep Water Culture is very forgiving. You can stress out your plants( make a mistake like forget to fill the reservoir for a few days, or forget to raise your light on time) and the plants seem to have the ability to bounce back. Now from what I've learned so far that stressing your plants has the supposed ability to cause males. I don't know that for sure. But I started 8 plants and have 2 left and am not dissapointed so far what soever.

I have a comment on the Pen. And I am no expert. I think munki is generally right. When I calibrate my pen I use a calibration fluid which is actually Table Salt (NaCl) at 1,000 ppm. So I'm kinda under the impression that table salt isn't actually the same salts in inorganic nutes. I myself use General Hydroponics Nutes and started out with half strength according to the bottle and slowly raised the ppm until the plants looked like they didn't like it and backed off. Let alone the many mistakes and probable high ppm before I got the pen. I have two crazy looking plants and having the time of life.

Anyhow I wanted to congratulate you on your start, wish you luck, and hope to see you finish with a successful grow. Looking like a wonderful start. Remember mistakes happen....learning how to correct the mistakes will take you a long way with this stuff.

Musik \\\vVv/// :goodjob::bongrip::yummy::ganjamon::popcorn::roorrip::grinjoint:

Hey WeedyMcweedWeed Just read your protron grow journal is that still going, Then I found this grow journal , Man your are busy!! I see you just got a Lumatak Ballast, You like so far or is not running, Boy! I don't realize how small those thing are but, your pic with it on the hood it does not lie! So is it up and running yet? If so you enjoying it? Is it really silent, and produce very little heat, Awesome purchase dude!! Best of luck on your grow(s)..See you around. Thanks for your time. :peace: Have a great weekend.

i agree with the butch,

hygrozyme, and other benes would improve your root problem a ton. they are a very powerful tool in DWC.

start out with the $20 bottle of hygrozyme. it will do wonders.

Hey WeedyMcweedWeed Just read your protron grow journal is that still going, Then I found this grow journal , Man your are busy!! I see you just got a Lumatak Ballast, You like so far or is not running, Boy! I don't realize how small those thing are but, your pic with it on the hood it does not lie! So is it up and running yet? If so you enjoying it? Is it really silent, and produce very little heat, Awesome purchase dude!! Best of luck on your grow(s)..See you around. Thanks for your time. :peace: Have a great weekend.

yes the lumatek is silent. and not much heat. it is up and running. and the bigger plant is 2 feet tall fyi. the smaller one is 13"

i agree with the butch,

hygrozyme, and other benes would improve your root problem a ton. they are a very powerful tool in DWC.

start out with the $20 bottle of hygrozyme. it will do wonders.

i will definitly look unto it

I have done exactly what you have done and experienced the the same to the tee problems with your roots that i have i think i said once i cut my old dead stuff off and new growth came through i figured out that water temp was high there fore decresing oxygen saturation and drowning your plant(over watering) i will post a pic hope this helps, revive by AN will help a little
oxygen.gif

fig_11.gif

^^ Yep, res temps were a big difference from my first grow to my second - once I figured out to keep it under 70, the roots were much happier. They do still turn brown when I'm away for more than a few days, but usually recover with a res change or PH adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom