Grass Roots Hi Brix

ok, ive been reading through the brix site and got my head round some of it, as some of you are all ready using this method, what would the items be to get started, basically, if i was to go out tomorrow and buy everything need to start a brix grow what would i need to get it up and running, not including the refractometer, im mean what would the medium be, is it basic compost, and then you add everything to that. i understand that its all about the mineral content and i can clearly now see why you feed the soil and not the plant, that comments explains this method down perfectly, but is this why the teas work so well, im still reading all the info on the site, its a lot to take in and some of it a bit technical,

What causes light to refract as it passes through plant sap?

The amount of carbohydrates in the juice.
The amount of dissolved minerals in the plant sap.
The amount of covalent bonding.

What proof can be offered to show that higher brix readings equal higher quality?
High Brix Foods Have Greater Carbohydrate Levels

Carbohydrates are the fuel the body uses for basic metabolic function. This has tremendous implications on digestion and human health. This is covered more fully in Food Quality & Digestion.
just copied that from the site im reading from

Surfbuddy - If I remember correctly a person can use Coir, Don't quote me for now. I'll see if I can locate the link history. Wish me luck.:peace:

Dpp- For some reason I feel like you've not gotten to the information just yet but your well on your way. Go back to statement you made about feeding the soil. Have a look at the microbes within "rich humis". I looked at a few vidoe's If I can locate them. It shows some of the creature's beneath our feet. Feeding the soil mean's taking care of them beneath. We get a bonus when they are happy because as long as we continue to do so we will be blessed with their byproducts.

I'll try finding the link this one is liable to take a bit. I'll let you know when I find it. Hope it helps to see what all the hype is about.

:Namaste:

ok, ive been reading through the brix site and got my head round some of it, as some of you are all ready using this method, what would the items be to get started, basically, if i was to go out tomorrow and buy everything need to start a brix grow what would i need to get it up and running, not including the refractometer, im mean what would the medium be, is it basic compost, and then you add everything to that. i understand that its all about the mineral content and i can clearly now see why you feed the soil and not the plant, that comments explains this method down perfectly, but is this why the teas work so well, im still reading all the info on the site, its a lot to take in and some of it a bit technical,

What causes light to refract as it passes through plant sap?

The amount of carbohydrates in the juice.
The amount of dissolved minerals in the plant sap.
The amount of covalent bonding.

What proof can be offered to show that higher brix readings equal higher quality?
High Brix Foods Have Greater Carbohydrate Levels

Carbohydrates are the fuel the body uses for basic metabolic function. This has tremendous implications on digestion and human health. This is covered more fully in Food Quality & Digestion.
just copied that from the site im reading from

[video=youtube;zUKeTz70GAY]
[/video]

Hope it is ok to share this information. It really needs to be shared to help some with understanding this process. If not please delete tY 420, Edited: You should know that they are in pure water I think.

:thanks:

check this out, imagine if it could make out buds do this, if it makes veg do this then their is no reason why not, i totally get what you mean now, sorry for not understanding, but the video made sense and the link,

[1video=youtube;zUKeTz70GAY]

Hope it is ok to share this information. It really needs to be shared to help some with understanding this process. If not please delete tY 420, Edited: You should know that they are in pure water I think.

:thanks:

THis video has no audio? BUt sure does show a bunch of mini creepy crawlies that will feed our plants!

I understand I need more than just coco, but what about something like roots organic coco mix, then add in the minerals? It has worm castings, kelp, guano in it. Not sure why I have something against dirt, maybe just too dirty for me? lol

I see that most of you use FFOF, so if I do get soil, it will be that

Actuallly, I use Vermicrop's Vermisoil. I use FFOF as part of my seed starting mix. I'm having it tested too....because so many other people use it.

The root's product would probablly be a great medium for high brix. When you said "coco" i was picturing a hydroponics deal with coco.

check this out, imagine if it could make out buds do this, if it makes veg do this then their is no reason why not, i totally get what you mean now, sorry for not understanding, but the video made sense and the link,
The Secret is in the Soil - YouTube

donpaul

I will let you know about one of their products in about 3 months. I just started a new grow and am using the Bountea Superfood Plant Tabs.

surfbuddy _ I dont think it has audio. It is to show the critters that live in our soils, some are good and some bad. So some research before you find something you might like. Im sure Doc knows the good from the bad. Im brain dead at the moment to much Info for me to consume today. Have a great one.

glad to see other's using a variety of products with the end result in mind.

:bravo::welldone:

You've got it Seagem. There are as many methods to achieve High Brix as there are growers. The principles are the same----feed the soil----but the products used to do that are many.

1. Foundational minerals
2. Soil biology
3. Soil energy
4. Trace minerals

There's no high brix without the fundamentals....but there are many ways to achieve those four "bases" of high brix.

Someday, we'll be using identical soil and testing different teas to see which one tastes better. Perhaps we'll be comparing Oyster shell flour with limestone when it comes to minerals.

You get the picture. The Principles of what makes plants grow don't change. But the raw materials differ greatly.

:thanks: Doc, I did not realize what all the products that contain chemicals are killing us and our planet. GO GREEN !!!
We can compost our own tea's with out using anything but a bucket, some rice bran, and the food and natural clippings from around our home, just dot compost anything that has milk or cheese products and is not spoiled of has mold growing on it. The rice bran breaks down the food particles. Drain and strain. It will make its own tea's with out any additive's, how ever Use caution because it does not have the amount of Microbe's needed to sustain plant life as a "Best Practice". There are many. For example take dry land vs wet land vs the Oceans, we know different source's have their own environment to contend with.

It is very time consuming to say the least. The benefits are great not just now but into the future as well. The types are numerous and benefit a variety of cultures ( not to be confused with human cultures, this biology all the way. So if you did not study Biology in school, well all I can say is pay attention to the 4 fundamentals and you will get there.

Since the beginning of time as human's we have been depleting the soil and adding dangerous substances back to it that man has developed. its not a wonder some of us have medical conditions.

I hope other's take notice and change to a healthier life style for themselves and the plants.

:peace:

:thanks: Doc, I did not realize what all the products that contain chemicals are killing us and our planet. GO GREEN !!!
We can compost our own tea's with out using anything but a bucket, some rice bran, and the food and natural clippings from around our home, just dot compost anything that has milk or cheese products and is not spoiled of has mold growing on it. The rice bran breaks down the food particles. Drain and strain. It will make its own tea's with out any additive's, how ever Use caution because it does not have the amount of Microbe's needed to sustain plant life as a "Best Practice". There are many. For example take dry land vs wet land vs the Oceans, we know different source's have their own environment to contend with.

It is very time consuming to say the least. The benefits are great not just now but into the future as well. The types are numerous and benefit a variety of cultures ( not to be confused with human cultures, this biology all the way. So if you did not study Biology in school, well all I can say is pay attention to the 4 fundamentals and you will get there.

Since the beginning of time as human's we have been depleting the soil and adding dangerous substances back to it that man has developed. its not a wonder some of us have medical conditions.

I hope other's take notice and change to a healthier life style for themselves and the plants.

:peace:

Oh yeah, I'm in full agreement. Our food quality is really dismal right now. The worst it's been as far as quality, but the quantity is doing great, thanks to roundup-ready wheat and other GMO's. Soda, frankenfoods, boxed and bagged foods....chem ferts, pesticides.....yikes! That's a recipe for sick lab rats. I think it's working....they're sick, irritable, diseased and violent....ready to kill eachother....perfect.

Somewhere, some spider-like, rich old bankster is saying,

"Those damn pot smokers! They just don't want to kill, and they think things like quality food is important. Make that stuff illegal, we've got an empire to build."

Why is it that alcohol is always legal in totalitarian regimes, but pot is always illegal? Why aren't they afraid of drunk people? Stoned people are less dangerous....and they're peaceful. They think about stuff differently and maybe they're not quite so ready to participate in mass killing? I dunno.

Yep I totally agree. I see our GREEN MOVEMENT to change minds and the world. However, after 1000's of years of abuse to our planet it might not recover soon enough. And Climate warming will become our ultimate end to life.

I just spent the last 30 minutes of creating a blog on Microorganism's Data From Wikipedia for an all in one place to visit hope this helps to answer some questions. When I get more into the soil science of it I will be updating information.

:yahoo:

Yep I totally agree. I see our GREEN MOVEMENT to change minds and the world. However, after 1000's of years of abuse to our planet it might not recover soon enough. And Climate warming will become our ultimate end to life.

I just spent the last 30 minutes of creating a blog on Microorganism's Data From Wikipedia for an all in one place to visit hope this helps to answer some questions. When I get more into the soil science of it I will be updating information.

:yahoo:

Well, I'm hopeful things can recover pretty fast. A few years without any wars and re-mineralizing soil would certainly help. People demanding decent food and growing their own would be nice.

I think we'd recover pretty fast. At least I hope so.

In the meantime, I'm going to take care of the people I love, try to bless and help as many people as I can.....and grow the best weed possible.

Some updates:

The soil test for Vermisoil is done. I don't have the test yet, but I discussed results with the owner of Ag Labs International.

The verdict: Vermisoil is not fit for high brix. Too much potassium, phosphorus and sodium. Please understand, that doesn't mean the soil won't grow some really nice plants. It certainly will! I've been using it for over a year and it was my favorite soil.

But remember, we're not trying to grow big rid shiny apples that taste like paper mache.....we're trying to grow the ones that taste heavenly, but may don't look like a great big, red, tasteless apple.

The genetic potential of this plant is largely unrealized due to the way we cultivate it. I'm hoping to change that, so I'm going to have to say goodbye to my favorite soil and search for one that is suitable.

I think Sunshine mix without the fertilizer charge might work, as well as Pro Mix hp. Both are peat, worm castings, yucca, perlite and dolomite. Pro mix also has calcitic lime....which is the good stuff.

I'm also testing cheap-ass top soil from Home dept....2 bucks a bag.

It's easier to start with a very poor soil and build it up than to start with something like FFOF and Vermisoil. I'm certainly dissappointed, but it will be worth it to get a purpose built, high brix soil.

I'll update the Best practice post next.

A word about microbial teas:

On adding adequate food for the soil microbes
Jon has found that soil life will deplete soils of nutrients the plants need. I would suggest that this is a misinterpretation. What Jon witnessed is that when you add high levels of soil life to soils, when food to support that soil life has not also been added, then that soil life will gobble, gobble, gobble and will lock the nutrients up for a while (until they starve and die and release those nutrients). That is not a good thing for sure and I applaud Jon for his observations. But if one is careful to put in place food for that soil life in quantities that are sufficient to support that soil life, then that soil life will NOT deplete soils of nutrients but will make much more nutrients available to the plants. This is the method I am using and is the main reason I use Biosol Mix fertilizer. It makes a fine long term bacteria and fungi food and it becomes humus in the soils. The acids from the humates and the bacteria and plant roots make much more nutrients available in the soils. One can add my 6-5-3 ratio of Lime, Soft Rock Phosphate, and Gypsum to the soil, but if that's all you do, it will just sit there. Put down bacteria and fungi food and then add bacteria and fungi to those soils and you will start up a hyperactive bacteria system.
In the book, Mainline Farming for Century 21 - Lessons in Reams-method Agronomy by Dan Skow, D.V.M., & Charles Walters, it is made abundantly clear that if one is using soft rock phosphate or hard rock phosphate, then a hyperactive bacteria system MUST be in place. And there better be "adequate food" in place for that hyperactive bacteria system or those critters will deplete soils of nutrients the plants need instead of making those nutrients available. (page 8-9). Some people will put sugars (molasses for example) into their soils as food for the bacteria. As long as the sugars are present in the soils to maintain those bacteria populations, the acids from the bacteria will free up mineral and inorganic nutrients if sources are present. But the moment those sugars run out, they will deplete the available nutrients and the plants will suffer.

On the interaction of calcium and phosphate
It is also interesting that calcium will bind up with phosphate and make both unavailable to the plants. Synchronization [interaction] of lime with SRP can make both unavailable to plants if a hyperactive bacteria system is not present. If we have a hyperactive bacteria system present then humic acids and amino acids will make calcium and phosphate available to the plants. The acids released by the bacteria and roots will help keep calcium and several other minerals from binding with phosphate. [Jerry Brunetti says that mychorriza fungi are the ones that really split calcium and phosphate making them both available. Too much soluble phosphate and the fungi shut down. He strongly recommends cover crops to keep the fungi and microbe fed and happy, and rotate cole crops, as they don't support the fungi.]

Back
Top Bottom