Grass Roots Hi Brix

I sent for some information on the Hi Brix, after watching the video (which showed the way to make the brew), I have a question.

Doc, Have or did you weigh the buds prior to drying process and after the cure? I know the Brix methods provide for more growth and better product, and am just curious as to weight loss from the drying methods? If it changed at all, or was even tested.

:thanks:

So far, I've only harvested one crop that was High Brix from the start. I do not state total weights here, but yield per plant worked out to just about 4 oz.

Two things were really different:

1.)The volume of the harvest was down, IE number of jars/bags filled compared to other grows of same plant count.
2.)Weight of harvest was about on par or mabye slightly down from others. It was even with Lemon Paki, yield wise from the first time I grew it.

Normally, in a 1/2 gallon mason jar I get 2 to 2.5 oz. With the High Brix I get a quarter pound with room to spare. If you hold the buds and squeeze them, they are obviously much more dense and firmer than anything else I've grown....or anything else I've seen.

They burn way longer and provide more hits per bowl as well.

But for me, this has always been about quality. I'd rather get 1 oz per plant of something incredible, than 4 oz of what people would call decent.

The High Brix stuff is definitely tasting, smoking and feeling better than other stuff....except for a few people who are put off by the "lack of taste." High Brix weed tastes like steam that has been gently infused with weed taste. It does not taste like smoke, you won't cough.

Hey everyone... all of the High brix Hierarchy Members here at 420mag! lol

I was thinking that we all should invest in refractometer's and share results of our grows. The meters run about 30$ on amazon and this will allow us to compare what types of results we are gaining from things such as: amendments, strain potentials, foliar spray effectiveness, and help us narrow down the High Brix area to what is actually achieving the best results.

For instance, all of my 5 strains are treated the exact same way and in the same environment, but the brix levels of some are around 12-14 where as some are 20+. So it seems to me that each strain also has its brix ranges and it would be interesting to create 420 Magazine's own Brix chart for cannabis strains.

DSC043222.JPG

DSC04323.JPG

Here are my readings I took yesterday from my grow. All samples were from around the 3rd node down, all well devolved and aged fan leaves. So far my conclusions based on my observations. Higher brix plants have a very shiny/waxy coat to the leaves, also it seems that the vibrance of the stems also seems to be an indicator of higher brix value. (my holy grail and silverback og have neon green florescent looking stems where as the others are slighly less vibrant and very shiny leaves.)

No juice on lens
NoBrix.JPG

Holy Grail OG
HGbrix.JPG

Platinum Bubba
PlatBubBrix.JPG

Silverback OG
SilvOGBrix.JPG

Blackberry Kush
BBkushbrix.JPG

Sour bubble
SourBbrix.JPG

Okay I have another question. This one is really stupid, but hey what the hell.

My ex hub was diabetic. The doctor suggested certain foods. Most of us know all this. My question is it possible to test the stem fluid to get a sugar/sucrose reading? If i had a test kit I would do this myself, but I dont and know no one now with diabetes. It sounds really weird but aren't the diabetics checking their fluids? I know it is a long shot. They had to of developed these kits off of something! Can some one check this if possible not from the juices from the leaf but at the stem. Thank you

With the Brix information I got in today I also received a laminated Brix level sheet. It is showing Brix levels of Grapes at poor*8* to high*20* but, Raisins poor*60* high*80*, the difference must be attributed to curing possibly?

:peace:

Okay I have another question. This one is really stupid, but hey what the hell.

My ex hub was diabetic. The doctor suggested certain foods. Most of us know all this. My question is it possible to test the stem fluid to get a sugar/sucrose reading? If i had a test kit I would do this myself, but I dont and know no one now with diabetes. It sounds really weird but aren't the diabetics checking their fluids? I know it is a long shot. They had to of developed these kits off of something! Can some one check this if possible not from the juices from the leaf but at the stem. Thank you

With the Brix information I got in today I also received a laminated Brix level sheet. It is showing Brix levels of Grapes at poor*8* to high*20* but, Raisins poor*60* high*80*, the difference must be attributed to curing possibly?

:peace:

It's not totally incorrect to say that Brix readings are merely looking at how much light doesn't pass through a liquid. Mud has higher brix than RO.

It's not just sugar, it's also mineral content.

Most glucose meters work by putting a drop of blood on a special "stick," and the machine reads the stick. The stick has various chemicals that end up making something that is measured by electrodes. Not quite what we're looking for.

Now, with regard to the raisins....when they dry, the solids stay behind and the liquids evaporate. So, less liquid and same solids=higher brix.

But if you look on the High Brix websites, all of them agree that the best brix tester is your tastebuds! High Brix=better taste.

If kids eat the vegetables and ask for seconds, they're probably high brix!

The refractometer is invaluable as a testing tool.....but the bottom line is quality of produce, which we can taste.

When we see Icemud and Vape finish their grows and get their smoke reports I think everyone's going to want to go High Brix. It's just that much better. I'm tellin' ya.....just wait.

I'm sure there are variances in the method. I was just wondering what the sugar content would be. As Mud mentioned the price of the refractometer is not to bad. Any specific one?

I've been online all day looking at a variation for containers. Actually found part of the product for the airpots, so still searching for the rest.

so what do them meters tell us about the plant, does it tell us the heath, i mean if everyone on here did enough testing on plants that was say healthy and plants that wasnt, would by using one of them and the results growers have got from their plants, would it be possible to figure out the health or am i way off on what that equipment does, all this is way over my head but a technical read, so if you would rather i didnt ask such lame stupid questions then feel free to say so, i wont mind honest,

I'm sure there are variances in the method. I was just wondering what the sugar content would be. As Mud mentioned the price of the refractometer is not to bad. Any specific one?

I've been online all day looking at a variation for containers. Actually found part of the product for the airpots, so still searching for the rest.

I found my refractometer on amazon. Basicly you are looking for a Brix refractometer (there are others that test salts and other materials) so you want to make sure it it a Brix refractometer.

Next make sure it has ATC or Auto Temperature Correction. The refractometers are calibrated to work at certain temperatures so with ATC, the refractometer will auto adjust.

You also want a refractometer that goes from 0 to 32% brix, which is the range that we are looking for for cannabis.

Other than that I just went by the ratings and what people were buying. I think mine was about 35$ plus shipping. Of course there are higher priced scientific grade ones and even digital, but upon testing mine with 0ppm water, it was spot on.

so what do them meters tell us about the plant, does it tell us the heath, i mean if everyone on here did enough testing on plants that was say healthy and plants that wasnt, would by using one of them and the results growers have got from their plants, would it be possible to figure out the health or am i way off on what that equipment does, all this is way over my head but a technical read, so if you would rather i didnt ask such lame stupid questions then feel free to say so, i wont mind honest,

To answer your question, yes! For instance, there are charts out there that give "ranges" of Brix for different veggies.

For instance Apples range from 6 Brix being Poor quality to 18 being top quality (reached its genetic potiential) A apple with a higher brix is going to physically weigh more, will taste sweeter, will have a higher mineral density, will stay fresh for much longer. So if all of us were to test our cannabis brix, we would be able to tell what "brix number" that strain is and if enough people test there strains, we will be able to create a brix chart based on brix readings and smoke reports.

Lets just say that 3 or 4 of us grew the strain white widow. Lets say the brix readings each of us took were 10, 12, 14, and 16. This would help us to look at the person growing the 16 brix white widow and see what methods/techniques they are using so that adjustments can be made for all of the growers to get 16 brix white widow... I guess thats the best I can explain it right now being higher than giraffe pu$$y...lol

Only if your growing the high brix way.

I would recommend anyone who doesn't mind spending a few bucks to do it... the more people testing there brix the better. Who knows? there may be a nutrient line out that is doing well and producing somewhat high brix plants vs another that is not... I think it would only help all of us grow better and healthier. Also it just helps add more data/test results for each strain... to get a range of good to bad brix levels, you need both sides of the spectrum :)

I would recommend anyone who doesn't mind spending a few bucks to do it... the more people testing there brix the better. Who knows? there may be a nutrient line out that is doing well and producing somewhat high brix plants vs another that is not... I think it would only help all of us grow better and healthier. Also it just helps add more data/test results for each strain... to get a range of good to bad brix levels, you need both sides of the spectrum :)

Right on, bro.

I'm not going to rely on my winemaking friends anymore. Gonna get my meter this week.

I'm thinking of trying this... what do you guys think about a CoCo Hi Brix in airpots? would it dry out too fast? maybe coco perlite vermiculite 50/25/25?

Not sure if the colony would like it... whaddya think?

Icemud said:

Yeah your right, I guess I wasn't thinking about the bad readings and only concerned with the good.

I'm thinking of trying this... what do you guys think about a CoCo Hi Brix in airpots? would it dry out too fast? maybe coco perlite vermiculite 50/25/25?

Not sure if the colony would like it... whaddya think?

I don't think that would be too good of an idea. You need much more than coco. You need humus. You need minerals, organic matter....pretty soon you'll have soil. Just start with soil! If you really love coco, just get a soil with coir in it.

Icemud - would you consider taking a Brix on your composting tea??
I have been online all day searching for products that are naturally occurring along with some other ideas for my run. Since I dont have a tea yet I want to compare a Brix reading on your compost mix.

From what I have been reading about Photosythetic Bacteria, and Lactic Acid Bacteria microbial-based products using a technology of Microbial Inculcation that co-exist, co-prosper, exchange information, are sustainable, are safe, are efficient, are effective, and service each other. They have not given a Brix reading on their product, but I am going to call on Monday and see if I can speak with someone.

Thank you, :thumb:

it would be great if we could get plenty of these readings, but with all the strains it would take a hell of a long time, i wonder if their is some level that works best across indica and sativa strains, then it wouldnt be some much strain related as plant type related, the better and healthier brix plants should have a differerent reading than the plants that are not so healthy so if this could be leveled out then this would help a lot of people know if their plant is the best it can be, but without many brix growers i could see it been a bit hit and miss, the data would take a while to collect so growers would need to be dedicated and up for some long term testing,

im having a good read on it now as its all starting to make some sense, seems like its something that not could benefit us all but will benefit us all

I don't think that would be too good of an idea. You need much more than coco. You need humus. You need minerals, organic matter....pretty soon you'll have soil. Just start with soil! If you really love coco, just get a soil with coir in it.

I understand I need more than just coco, but what about something like roots organic coco mix, then add in the minerals? It has worm castings, kelp, guano in it. Not sure why I have something against dirt, maybe just too dirty for me? lol

I see that most of you use FFOF, so if I do get soil, it will be that

Back
Top Bottom