Graytail's Cupwinners in High Brix Soil - 4x4 - 600W HPS - Perpetual

what happens when you flush then? will that lower the brix of the plant? will that decrease potency?

With high brix organic soil, we don't flush. With the exception of a fish-based nitrate, we don't add artificial nitrogen to the soil, so there's no need to flush it out. In our method, the NPK is supplied by soil organisms at the request of the plant - only when it needs it. We're feeding the soil, not the plant. The stuff in the soil feeds the plant.

As part of their function, roots will exude sugars that are genetically designed to feed soil bacteria. The bacteria in turn are designed to feed on those sugars - symbiotic. In addition, myco fungi attach themselves to the roots and effectively extend them with long filaments, increasing their ability to absorb nutrients. The soil bacteria use the sugars to break down minerals into compounds that feed the plant - the NPK. So we load the soil with minerals (which also fixes ph) to feed the bacteria, add mycos to enhance the roots, and then periodically feed the bacteria with drenches, and use foliars on the leaves. The foliars are absorbed by the plant and travel to the roots where they help the plant feed the soil bacteria.

This way, the plant only absorbs what it needs from the soil. We take care of the soil, and the soil takes care of the plant. The theory is that nature is better, and so far, that seems to be true. High brix grows some really good smoke. And the best part is that it's really hard to bung things up with Doc's kit - no burning, no lockouts, no mysteries, no pests, etc. :blunt:

I think you might be right about the SBR and I really hope the OG Kush and the Wild Thai are anywhere near as good as they are purdy but some day I am going to do the Doc thing. Just thinking I should probably get past the treatment thing first. I have even scaled down my piddly little grow to be a bit more manageable for me right now. I actually just moved the last girl out of the veg cabinet into the bloom closet (bloom closet... did you catch that...lol) sorry to many pharmaceuticals and :roorrip: this morning and what I meant to be writing here... I have had the same bong for over 30 years... I love my doobies but when I want to get really couch locked... I always reach for Budda... It's not even a budda it's a wizard but I meditate when I go to the Budda. He was made for me by the owner of FreeWheelingFranks in Memphis in 1983 and I think the shop is still there. I haven't been back in many years but any how go shopping I think you will be glad you did....:circle-of-love:

Heheh, "bloom closet", love it. :laughtwo:

I admit that I see those big fabric pots in the tub and I wonder how you're doing. I'm kinda looking forward to a lull in my room for awhile. I had to trim too many plants this week - pain the the arse - my back and shoulders ache. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I envy your bong! It's so cool to have heritage stuff like that - wish I still had that one of mine along with some other previously cherished stuff. I wandered too long in those days - kept leaving things behind, doncha know. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Yep. Flushing would lower brix and decrease quality all around. That's why we don't flush. They don't need it.

That's what I figured, which is what I've been doing without dubbing it high brix. Just never got around measuring it. I do not flush, although nitrogen is always present in my flowering mix, cause it's 60% organic garden compost basically. My leaves do not really get yellow by the end of flowering, but I never experienced any problems with taste. This year I soaked my mix for the first time in comfrey + stinging nettle + horsetail tea in full sun to raise it to the next level, and the results are satisfying till this point. Mycos, bacteria and air pots are doing the job. Can you call that color a right color? :)

insieme2.jpg

That's what I figured, which is what I've been doing without dubbing it high brix. Just never got around measuring it. I do not flush, although nitrogen is always present in my flowering mix, cause it's 60% organic garden compost basically. My leaves do not really get yellow by the end of flowering, but I never experienced any problems with taste. This year I soaked my mix for the first time in comfrey + stinging nettle + horsetail tea in full sun to raise it to the next level, and the results are satisfying till this point. Mycos, bacteria and air pots are doing the job. Can you call that color a right color? :)

They sure look like high brix plants to me. :cheesygrinsmiley: Nice color and posture - could maybe have more leaf shine ... I'd estimate brix in the 10-12 range.

Yeah, well it's hard to get a good photo in full sun, but for windowsill LST plants they're not doing bad :)

Yep. Flushing would lower brix and decrease quality all around. That's why we don't flush. They don't need it.

I was told otherwise, but I'm on the fence. I grow organically and feed with fish fertilizer and sea kelp.

hi there! you guys sent me serious 6 seeds to grow and I'm growing the last four of the seeds I have. I will keep you guys updated.

I have a question about trichomes. can they go from cloudy to clear? I ask because I'm comparing a couple plants and I think my trichomes have gone from cloudy to clear. is this possible? will flushing/starving the plant during the last week or two cause trichomes to be less cloudy? thanks.

"We would very much appreciate it, if you could send us some pics of your Serious 6 plants...we would love to see them.

As far as we know, that is not possible....a trichome that has become cloudy has changed its interior chemistry and therefore will not transform back to clear but only degrade further and turn amber at some point...

The clear trichomes you see now, are simply new trichomes which have grown next to milky ones and now you think they are clear again...

The flushing has no influence on the trichomes....only the fertilizer in the plant gets flushed out and this will provide a smooth smoke...

PLease send us pics, so we can see the plants...

How satisfied are you with growing the serious 6? (growth-structure, onset of flowering, bud formation, fertilizer-needs etc.)

With best regards,
Thomas.
(Marketing-Manager Serious Seeds)

With best regards,"

A good read for those who already jumped on high brix wagon: The New Agriculture: Part V: Is High Brix Enough?

I'd also recommend reading all the comments. As it's obvious after reading it, even sea water has brix level :) I'd love to hear your input.

A good read for those who already jumped on high brix wagon: The New Agriculture: Part V: Is High Brix Enough?

I'd also recommend reading all the comments. As it's obvious after reading it, even sea water has brix level :) I'd love to hear your input.

EVerything has a brix level if it can bend light. I've read the little essay there before. Mostly it's just poor logic.

The bottom line is thus: nutrient dense produce is healthier. Nutrient dense produce measures higher brix and will have a higher reading on a refractometer.

There's no way around those facts. These are scientifically accepted facts, practiced by grape growers all over the place. In fact, I was at a winery just last night talking about soils and brix with one of the growers. They take leaf/petiole samples and fruit samples using a Brix meter. Standard, industry wide practice.

Ok! Thx Doc!

One thing I'd really like to know if you can grow high brix plant using non-organic fertilizers only as they seem to raise it as well.
I'm down with high brix really and I grow 100% organically, but where is the real advantage? Wine industry is a good example, cause they have standards which growers worldwide should apply in the nearest future. But then, organic wine is usually poor quality taste-wise in comparison with wine produced a non-organic way... while it's usually opposite with cannabis. Then, of course I believe my buds are better than commercially grown stuff, cause I tried both :) But can you really keep high brix in soil and soiless medium using exclusively chemical nutrients, and have the same results as organic growers? These are questions I'm pondering.

Happy growing guys!

EVerything has a brix level if it can bend light. I've read the little essay there before. Mostly it's just poor logic.

The bottom line is thus: nutrient dense produce is healthier. Nutrient dense produce measures higher brix and will have a higher reading on a refractometer.

There's no way around those facts. These are scientifically accepted facts, practiced by grape growers all over the place. In fact, I was at a winery just last night talking about soils and brix with one of the growers. They take leaf/petiole samples and fruit samples using a Brix meter. Standard, industry wide practice.

our stomach is different than our lungs though.

our stomach is different than our lungs though.

That has no bearing on what we're talking about.

Brix is measured with a refractometer. Cutting oil, paint, solvents....all kinds of other stuff is also measured via refractive index.

The more "stuff" is in the produce, the high the brix reading will be. Period.

No one is saying that a higher refractive index=healthy. If we were saying that, motor oil would be healthier than apples.

What we are saying is that healthy plants have more dissolved minerals, sugars and proteins in the sap and fruit juice. That is a fact.

So....as long as we're measuring healthy plants, the higher the brix, the more nutrient dense is the plant tissue and fruit. Plant A, that is green and happy measures 10 brix. Plant B, which is the same type of plant as Plant A, meausure's 16 brix. Plant B is going to taste sweeter/better and will have more nutrition per volume than Plant A.....60 percent more to be precise.

As far as lungs and stomachs go I invite ANYONE to sample high brix weed against hydro. The latter usually has brix of about 10 if done really well. Put that up against the same clone at a brix reading of 15 and there won't be any more discussion.

Again....we're limiting our use of the refractometer to HEALTY plant tissue, comparing Apples to apples so to speak.

BTW, industrial farming concerns HATE people like me and the Nutrient Dense movement in general. We are a huge threat to them, just as the anti-GMO folks are a huge threat. There will be all kinds of propaganda coming out as this stuff catches on.

But don't listen to me! Go get yourself some really sweet, delicious carrots and then get some that don't have much flavor and do your own testing, with your taste buds and with the refractometer. You'll figure it out pretty quick.

Ok! Thx Doc!

One thing I'd really like to know if you can grow high brix plant using non-organic fertilizers only as they seem to raise it as well.
I'm down with high brix really and I grow 100% organically, but where is the real advantage? Wine industry is a good example, cause they have standards which growers worldwide should apply in the nearest future. But then, organic wine is usually poor quality taste-wise in comparison with wine produced a non-organic way... while it's usually opposite with cannabis. Then, of course I believe my buds are better than commercially grown stuff, cause I tried both :) But can you really keep high brix in soil and soiless medium using exclusively chemical nutrients, and have the same results as organic growers? These are questions I'm pondering.

Happy growing guys!

Salts (chemical nutes) will not generate as high of brix as biological farming, if the latter is done right.

Organic wine is fantastic....if it's made right from grapes with high brix. Most wine makers like a minimum of 25 brix and would like to see 28 or higher. Anything lower than that and they won't use it. Most of the wine grown in this region is organic.

I live in wine country. In fact, I spent last night at a winery smoking high brix weed with the grower and chef. These guys are 100% organic, SIP certified, biodynamic farmers. Their wines are ridiculous. Our soil is called "Calcareous" soil, because it is so high in limestone. That's why grapes and other produce grows so well in this region. The minerals are already in place. Their soil is fertilized by grazing sheep through the vinyards and an occasional foliar feeding of trace minerals and magnesium. But take away the mineralized soil and the grapes aren't worth anything....despite the sheep and organic and all that.

"Organic" won't cut it by itself. You need the 3M's:

Minerals, Microbes and Magic. Without the minerals, you can't achieve high brix. Without the microbes, the minerals aren't available to the plant. Get the minerals and microbes in balance and you'll understand magic.

Yeah, that cuts it for me, Doc :)

Doc, I agree! Anyone who doesnt want to try highbrix with cannabis should try with other herbs, vegetables for a quick proof of amazing visual and taste results!
My parsley, cilantro, thyme, basil, rosemary, couple types of mint are glowing compared to their non HB grow, even at great farmstands, herbs.
It makes perfect sense, to me at least, to have healthy soil with Mother Natures' amendments to feed the plants..
Our bodies are same..our bioflora are very similar in function to the soil bioflora...it boils down to minerals..
We are beings of living minerals essentially

sorry graytail for OT thread..

Doc, I agree! Anyone who doesnt want to try highbrix with cannabis should try with other herbs, vegetables for a quick proof of amazing visual and taste results!
My parsley, cilantro, thyme, basil, rosemary, couple types of mint are glowing compared to their non HB grow, even at great farmstands, herbs.
It makes perfect sense, to me at least, to have healthy soil with Mother Natures' amendments to feed the plants..
Our bodies are same..our bioflora are very similar in function to the soil bioflora...it boils down to minerals..
We are beings of living minerals essentially

sorry graytail for OT thread..

So your veggie's and herbs taste better and different in the HB soil? Can you be more specific? Smell, taste, etc.

This information can be quite threatening to people, because not everyone wants to come to the conclusion that they're not eating anywhere near as healthy as they could be.

Doc...reading your wisdom come to life ,is a pleasure! I don't think i'l ever get tired of you explaining Brix the way you do:)Since i have come "on board" with your Kit, growing has never been so rewarding.M.M.M. pretty much somes it up in the fewest words. This method of growing is becoming the most reliable,rewarding,method in our age of "organics".People are wondering what this "high brix" produce is all about!Just like L.E.D. lighting. It will soon pass H.I.D. in usage indoors.Our produce that we harvest from this H.B. soil is everything Doc says it is...and more.Just ask Doc how much free time he has these days...glad to be here with ya'll. Cheers.

All 5 senses are heightened with the herbs. Looks..as mentioned, almost a living green glow..not fluorescent, different..the smell is 3x more intense, even the sound is different to pull a sprig or leaf off,..touch, the leaves are tender, soft yet firm, the taste is amazing..i use less aromatics i.e cilantro, thyme, and parsely to get full intense flavor than if I used other fresh herbs.
I transplanted 6 heirloom Org. Grown tomatoes( started at org farm) into 7-10 gallon pots of HB soil, foliar sprayed same schedule as you list. They have doubled in size in just 10 days..
Im about to pull some heirloom beets grown in 4+ gallon airpot with HB soil grown. Leaves, are huge, vibrant..which are extremely healthy btw for our liver and gall bladder..cook like chard..

And i transplanted some petunias into a pot of HB soil...gave same rx as herb, veggies, friend has same petunia and said whered I get those intense purple petunias? I said we got them together...
He thought his were purple...lol :)

All 5 senses are heightened with the herbs. Looks..as mentioned, almost a living green glow..not fluorescent, different..the smell is 3x more intense, even the sound is different to pull a sprig or leaf off,..touch, the leaves are tender, soft yet firm, the taste is amazing..i use less aromatics i.e cilantro, thyme, and parsely to get full intense flavor than if I used other fresh herbs.
I transplanted 6 heirloom Org. Grown tomatoes( started at org farm) into 7-10 gallon pots of HB soil, foliar sprayed same schedule as you list. They have doubled in size in just 10 days..
Im about to pull some heirloom beets grown in 4+ gallon airpot with HB soil grown. Leaves, are huge, vibrant..which are extremely healthy btw for our liver and gall bladder..cook like chard..

And i transplanted some petunias into a pot of HB soil...gave same rx as herb, veggies, friend has same petunia and said whered I get those intense purple petunias? I said we got them together...
He thought his were purple...lol :)

Yep. And that's where things really become obvious. When you're growing the same exact thing as someone else and there's such an obvious difference. This soil isn't hype. It works as advertised.

I've found that very simple recipes made with high brix ingredients taste like a 5 star chef tried his/her best. A simple salad of HB lettuce, tomato, cucumber and red onion tastes exotic and delicious. But with supermarket vegetables such a salad wouldn't be nearly as good....would taste bland and boring.

Soups? Oh my....just throw in a bit of Spanish Chorizo and a garden vegetable soup tastes UNBELIEVABLE with the high brix veggies. The first time you get into these vegetables the lights will go on.

Back
Top Bottom