Growing 2x2 With ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro

If you want a taller plant, you're better off with a different light and/or increasing the amount of light you're giving the plant. By reducing the amount of light, you will immediately slow growth and, over time, you will reduce the amount of inflorescence. That will, in turn, reduce plant yield and the quality of the final product.

This light has a blue heavy spectrum which will help ensure that plants don't outgrow a 2' x 2' space. If you compare that spectrum to other "white" LED's, you'll see that it has a lot of blue in the spectrum and it doesn't have the typical peak around 660nm. I haven't seen the data that breaks out the output by wavelength band so there could be more red than meets the eye but check it against other Vipar lights or Mars or Atreum etc and the spectrum on Pro the is quite different. With all that blue, it looks more like a traditional blue "veg" spectrum than it does a "normal" white LED.

Key point is that light color drives plant shape; light volume drives plant growth.

If you drastically reduce the amount of light a plant is getting, it will drastically cut back on the inflorescence and will grow taller to try to get more light but that's just growing an emaciated plant.

If you want a plant that's taller, use a light that has more red in the spectrum. Blue photons inhibit cell expansion, red photons encourage cell expansion.

At 14" and 75% power, you're getting about 700µmols on your plants (light output decreases at about the same rate as power input is reduce). That's a good amount of light because your plants are young (it would help if you put the age of the plant in your postings, BTW). The blue heavy spectrum is keeping the plants short and encouraging lots of inflorescence and short internodal space.

Per the image from Vipar, the light is generating 897µmols at some spot in the center but the readings the 1' square in the center only average, call it, 830 µmols. At 75% power, that's 623µmols. Vipar doesn't give PPFD readings at 16" but we can sorta get there from here.

The drop in PPFD when raising the light from 11" to 14" is about 170µmols. For ease of calculation, that's a loss of 60µmols for each 1" increase in height. By going from 14" to 16", the Pro will be generating about 830µmols-120µmols = 610µmols at 100% power (it's actually lower than that but go with 610). At 75% power, you're going to be getting 610 X 0.75 ≈ 450µmols.

If your first day above ground was 3/6/23, the plant is only 17 days old but it and it clearly is responding well to that the current light levels (and photoperiod). The blue-heavy spectrum will continue to do what blue light does (inhibit cell expansion, resulting in a compact plant) but, because the amount of light has been decreased, growth will slow and the amount of inflorescence will tend to be lower than it would be under higher amounts of light. That will have tend to result in reduced yield.

To grow a healthy plant, turn up the light until the light saturation point is reached (the LSP is considered to be 800-1000µmols in a non-CO2-enhanced environment) which will allow the plant to reach its genetic potential. To grow a tall plant, ditch the blue heavy light (which could well have been designed to keep plants small so they stay in the tent) and switch to a flower light.

The info above is based on research papers on how cannabis responds to light color and/or volume, as well as listening to and studying the transcripts of all videos on that topic on YouTube by Bugbee, de Bacco, and others.

5_9142db84-0da4-45ee-8810-7efcec0db537_1500x1500.png

The spectrum for this light per Vipar. Compare it to the veg and flower lights from another vendor and then check the images of the spectra for other lights.
6_bbce0fa5-87a6-4239-9e8a-83c159bced62_1500x1500.png

The XS-1500 Pro spectrum, above, is the same as the XS-1500, shown below. I've tested a Uni-T lux meter against my Apogee MQ-500 and the conversion factor, to convert lux to PPFD, is 0.155

4_0be02f45-614d-46a2-888a-5643a8c2da0a_1500x1500.png

Veg and flower lights from another vendor
owcraft-Vegetative-and-Flowering-spectrum-compared.jpg

3__1.jpg

KS5000_8_1500x1500.jpg

Dedicated veg light from a well known vendor

1679606259171.png
In time . It's just 14 days old. Bro. I have other journal with different lights as well. This is journal on this one light in 2x2 and recommend setting will not burn a plant. What I hope people can see. But according to the setting I'm getting same as what you just posted. . Maybe even more

Let's see. Recommend setting are this. And I'm trying to get them to stretch a little bit so want be all bunched up. This chart of flower and veg . Recommend setting for beginners.

IMG_20230303_151819.jpg

So it's not far off being right on the money. With 3 inch window to stretch a little

IMG_20230323_155115.jpg

Ok. Here my input on light. Yes plant needs light . Needs even more during flowering.
Recommend is fine. Vipar did just great with this light . It's strong as hell. Better than 1000 and 1500 I think. So. Better to be safe than push a plant to death

Just this week alone I seen 3 light burns on people journals.

In time . It's just 14 days old. Bro. I have other journal with different lights as well. This is journal on this one light in 2x2 and recommend setting will not burn a plant. What I hope people can see. But according to the setting I'm getting same as what you just posted. . Maybe even more
I'm sorry if my what I wrote was confusing.

My posting was in response to you saying that you were thinking of increasing the hang height to make the plant "stretch". That's why opening para reads "If you want a taller plant…"

I agree with you about the current light levels and, even more important, so do the plants. :)

My posting was in response to you saying that you were thinking of increasing the hang height to make the plant "stretch". That's why opening para reads "If you want a taller plant…"

I agree with you about the current light levels and, even more important, so do the plants. :)
Oh yeah. Right. Lmao me too. Yeah that's going on in veg in other tent. ATM. One of may other journals seems like

Nice stout looking plants ,Dust
Thank ya.they babies 14 days I think. But they looking normal so far. Good start . For sure. Strong light for sure. Almost a flowering light. And veg light together. Good in between for the money. For sure. . Bunch guys and ladies I think have one now. And say same thing strong light. For veg. They did a great job on this light.

love this thread since I just bought a new light (Vivosun VS1500 (sorry Vipar). I was going to try and figure out how to perform the PAR--Light Height calculation so I could compare light to light easier, thanks for doing that for me Delps. Maybe for my next light I'll look into one with a veg and flower mode.

love this thread since I just bought a new light (Vivosun VS1500 (sorry Vipar). I was going to try and figure out how to perform the PAR--Light Height calculation so I could compare light to light easier, thanks for doing that for me Delps. Maybe for my next light I'll look into one with a veg and flower mode.
Money wise and power . We think this is the light . You can ask around. Others that have this light and some like this one and more . Like me
. Cause I got Mars lights too. If u got 2x2. For as we can tell and some folks have This light but not pro model. .
everyone likes this light for that tent.
. Can't beat it for as I can tell. It's perfect for both. Veg and flower. It's a strong light. Really is. ,75 percent looks like my big light inside that 2x2 . I like it.
But I also. Have three different light waves too. One for clones and seedlings. Two more for veg and flower. Which alot folks can't do that. And have to be small starting out.
I sure did with regular 100 watt light bulbs. And a box. But do t like don't have a on /off switch . I have it on a timer but nice to have on it as well. But these are the first ever type light from the 1500 so. They will make it even better I'm sure.

And sorry for my English spelling. I spent a lot time with people speak with no verbs and only phrases. Like yes sir no sir. And Roger that. But I'm a redneck also. I blame that real reason.

Throw this out here. Show what kinda plants this light will bring . Should be good looking plants.
This is a Gorilla Glue and Skittles plant in my ks5000 journal in my signature. From @ViparSpectar also. Getting to love these lights. Plants sure do. Debating whether to harvest it or wait till Sunday to chop. Give her few more days. Just because I can.

IMG_20230324_090541.jpg

IMG_20230324_090531.jpg

IMG_20230324_085824.jpg

Money wise and power . We think this is the light . You can ask around. Others that have this light and some like this one and more . Like me
. Cause I got Mars lights too. If u got 2x2. For as we can tell and some folks have This light but not pro model. .
. Can't beat it for as I can tell. It's perfect for both. Veg and flower. It's a strong light. Really is. ,75 percent looks like my big light inside that 2x2 . I like it.
But I also. Have three different light waves too. One for clones and seedlings. Two more for veg and flower. Which alot folks can't do that. And have to be small starting out.
I sure did with regular 100 watt light bulbs. And a box. But do t like don't have a on /off switch . I have it on a timer but nice to have on it as well. But these are the first ever type light from the 1500 so. They will make it even better I'm sure.

And sorry for my English spelling. I spent a lot time with people speak with no verbs and only phrases. Like yes sir no sir. And Roger that. But I'm a redneck also. I blame that real reason.
All good my friend I understand you just fine and your cannabis grow skills are a universal language. It was really close between Vivo and Vipar. If i get a chance to expand my grow in the future I would run both to compare. I wish either would incorp UVB into the main light as an on/off. If Vipar had that in the 1500 pro that would have likely tipped the scale for me.

All good my friend I understand you just fine and your cannabis grow skills are a universal language. It was really close between Vivo and Vipar. If i get a chance to expand my grow in the future I would run both to compare. I wish either would incorp UVB into the main light as an on/off. If Vipar had that in the 1500 pro that would have likely tipped the scale for me.
It was mentioned and passed to others. . why they test them. Make changes and sell more. .. lmao.

Girls are doing great . Little water today. And keep on growing. Day 17 of veg. With minus 6 for seedling. Way I figure. .
Reason for that. I don't know about y'all but 50-60 day flowering seems to be very very long. they say that add 12- 15 more days and they turn out like last pic

100% 14 -15 inches for growth. But will need to go up a few clicks today. Every three days I go up a few clicks on the light. Est. About 1/2 inch I guess.

IMG_20230326_133613.jpg

IMG_20230326_133610.jpg

IMG_20230326_133607.jpg

IMG_20230326_133516.jpg

So far so good! Plants' reaction is the best answer to this setup.

Good day Dust!

Couldn’t agree more Dust, lite works great and it’s simple to raise and lower it with the hangars. All my other lites it’s not so easy , it’s actually annoying. I’m at 15 inches and my plants still getting bunched up , gonna raise her alittle more. I’m still at 75% the rate of growth I see no reason to go to 100% yet, I’ll wait till she’s in full flower and probably keep her lower for better penetration

It's a great light for sure. Got to do my review on it. Post it. Got a lot great response from it. For sure. Just wish had on off switch. But I'm sure they will put one on it. Soon. I'm sure. Since this was a prototype and just started production of it.

Watered plants last night the look good. Looks like got go up again over night . Looks like the grew a little bit

IMG_20230326_133613.jpg

IMG_20230326_133610.jpg

It's a great light for sure. Got to do my review on it. Post it. Got a lot great response from it. For sure. Just wish had on off switch. But I'm sure they will put one on it. Soon. I'm sure. Since this was a prototype and just started production of it.

Watered plants last night the look good. Looks like got go up again over night . Looks like the grew a little bit

IMG_20230326_133613.jpg

IMG_20230326_133610.jpg
You definitely have them dialed in , beautiful

Girls are dialed in doing very very well in growth. I like it. 12 inches 14 inches. And if you want to stretch 16. @75 power. ATM. Want to go full 100 % until last 9 days of veg which is. April 6 will be 30 days in veg. Minus 6 days in seedlings.
So I would have to say. Let's see in another 7-9 days before flip.

IMG_20230328_142512.jpg

IMG_20230328_142510.jpg

IMG_20230328_142507.jpg

Back
Top Bottom