Hijinks Headband & Skywalker Indoor Soil Grow Journal

Day 29: My troublesome Skywalker plant now has a couple holes in the leaves where it looks like it was made a snack by an unknown suspect...

I haven't seen any bugs inside of the grow so I'm not entirely sure what would be causing it.

The Headband leaves were starting to droop today, so they got 1-gallon mixed between the 5 of them with a tsp of CalMg+.

Headband

Skywalker

After much research, I've decided to start giving my plants a 2-3 hour music cycle during their daylight time (Mozart pandora). There are actually some really interesting scholarly articles that have been written about the influence of sound waves on plants. Hopefully it will encourage their growth. Unfortunately I am unable to run a side-by-side right now for comparison, but Mythbusters had an interesting episode about sound and plants which does prove it is "plausible".

Day 30:

I am starting to see a clear difference of heights and node intervals in my Headband. The one that I have been eyeing for a mother plant (sprouted first and was accidentally supercropped at day 7) is a couple inches shorter than all 4 of the other Headband, and it also has a much tighter node spacing (they are both at 7 nodes).

Different phenotype perhaps? or maybe just a result of its supercropping day 7. I can't be sure.

Also, can someone identify what could be causing this? Early signs of Cal/Mag deficiency perhaps?

It is on a couple of my leaves on different plants.

Just ordered some new seeds today from Single Seed Centre (again). I am so eager to get a good perpetual grow with variety going that I couldn't wait any longer.

Here is what I am anticipating in the mail now: (all feminized)

Cali Connection:
1x Deadhead OG (Original 91 Chemdawg AKA the Skunk VA cut x SFV OG Kush F5)
1x Tahoe OG Kush (Tahoe x SFV OG Kush F5)

Barney's Farm
1x Pineapple Chunk (Pineapple x Skunk #1 X Cheese)
1x Tangerine Dream (G13 x Neville's A5 Haze)

DNA Genetics
1x Lemon OG Kush (Lemon Skunk x The OG #18)
1x Sleestack (Shrom x Martian Mean Green)
1x Stacked OG Kush (Sleestack x The OG #18)

and 2 free seeds :rollit:

I have to admit, I am pretty excited about all of them. If any of them decide not to sprout, I will probably have to replace them with another attempt since I am only getting one of each.

Day 31: The Mother Closet build begins ...

I have been debating buying another 400 watt dimmable and just using it at 50% for my mother closet. Until then I will be getting it ready.

Headband:

Skywalker:

My stockier headband is eating water a lot faster than the others (either that or I gave it a lot less water than the others). I had to give it a little bit today to try and balance it with the others so I can feed them nutes at the same time in a couple days.

Day 32:

Well I decided on getting another T5 light for my mother room so that I didn't have to buy another $80 exhaust fan for an aircooled hood. Plus, I only need like 2-3 cuttings a month for now, so T5 should be plenty. I sort of went a little overboard I think though. I basically bought the biggest possible thing I could fit into the space which ended up being a 4 ft 6 bulb T5 with 324 watts and 30,000 lumens. The whole drive back I kept thinking to myself that I over did it, but thank god... it has two different switches that control the lights, and I can have just the middle 2 on, the outside 4 on, or all 6 at once. I will probably not use all 6.

I hooked it up to a joist in the ceiling with a ratchet system. It just BARELY fits... when the door is closed it's about 1 inch from the light. I will probably take the door off the frame and replace it with a plastic zipper so I can add an intake and exhaust into plastic rather than trying to build it into my door.

Mother closet:

I probably will leave it as is for now since there is already white paint inside. I'll maybe put down some black plastic for the floor but I'm feeling pretty lazy.

There was some shelving inside of the closet that I took out and put against a wall in the work space area of the room. Makes for a nice storage area.

Day 32:

Well the Headband and Skywalker are now on different watering schedules. The headband got fed today with <1 gallon with 5 ml CalMg+ and 15 ml Age Old Grow. The Skywalker soil was still pretty moist.

The Headband I thought I had killed during transplant is doing so well now. It's pretty amazing what a plant can do.

it is hard to tell how high above your plants your lights are positioned. you may be able to lower your lights. place your hand underneath your light bulbs and move your hand to the point you can not feel any heat from the light bulbs and position your lights above your plants at this level, raise the lights as your plants grow.

I was using the hand rule to tell heat before, but I don't feel any heat from the lights unless I am within 4-5 inches from the glass. When the plants are less than a foot from the lights, however, they start to show signs of heat stress. So I don't think that rule works very well for my lights.

The lights are currently ~18 inches from the plants, and the Skywalker is still showing signs of heat stress. The Headband which is taller than the Skywalker shows no signs of heat stress. Pretty odd.

The Headband are all fine though

That's what I meant - Light stress. Wouldn't that be caused from being too close?

yes you may have to watch if it is still sensitive as it grows, it may outgrow the light sensitivity.

Back
Top Bottom