Hijinks Headband & Skywalker Indoor Soil Grow Journal

Day 33: DIY passive intake for the grow room

So every day I have been leaving the door to the grow room open so that it has fresh air for the veg room. This is sort of loud and annoying since the grow room is just downstairs from the living room where we watch TV and relax. I decided to go to Home Depot and get the biggest vent cover I could find for a reasonable price and bought two of them, one for either side of the door.

I used a circular saw which was probably the worst possible tool, but it got the job done. It's too bad that it is a HUGE pain in the ass to screw and unscrew them to the door, otherwise I would put my polyester batting inside of it for a make-shift filter. I wouldn't be able to change it without tearing my hair out, however, so I just left it empty for now.

Next on my to-do list:
-Switch the handle out for one that has a key lock on it
-Tack soundboard to the door on the inside of the grow space so that it is even quieter.

Day 34:

The Headband are still going nuts while I am completely unimpressed with the Skywalker. The healthy looking Skywalker's nodes are not really growing at all, while the Skywalker that has been giving me all sorts of problems is noding like crazy.

Headband:

Skywalker:

I also decided to sprout my 2 free seeds from Single Seed Centre since I have a new order arriving this week.

On the left is the Sugar Mango Ryder and on the right is the Afghan x White Widow

They are 3 days old

Well today I had a power outage while I was sleeping so I'm not sure how long it was total, but I would estimate the power was out for around an hour due to the fact the timers for my lights still had an hour to go when they were supposed to shut off.

So a question for you guys about power outages...

When the power is only out for 1 hour, is the best thing to do:

a) Do nothing
b) Let the plants get the extra hour of light, but then wake them up from the next darkness an hour later
c) Let the plants get the extra hour of light, but then wake them up at the normal time (so they would get an hour less darkness)
d) other? explain

I'm assuming since it was only about 1 hour, it won't be a big deal and I am going with a) do nothing right now. I would like to know for the future what would be best for my plants though as I will most likely experience more power outages. What if the power outage was 2 hours? 4hours? etc.

Any information for vegging vs flowering power outages is much appreciated. Thanks guys! :Namaste:

(i'm not trying to buy a generator, I would just like to know if there is any way to correct the plants' light cycle if it is interrupted by an outage)

b) Let the plants get the extra hour of light, but then wake them up from the next darkness an hour later

this would let the plants get darkness for another hour and that is what counts most, i have had some power outages in past grows as well. it is the hours of darkness that triggers cannabis plants into flowering, some people use Gas Lantern Routine where in the end weeks of flowering they diminish to 9 hours of light.

Day 35:

I didn't think I would have to water the Headband again so soon, but they were completely dry today. I decided to pick up some Age Old Kelp and Age Old Liquid Seaweed and Fish to add to my feeding schedule.

The Kelp doesn't smell, but the Liquid seaweed & Fish smells really bad, and after using it made my grow room smell like the inside of container designed to trap little fish farts. Because the Headband got a 1/2 dosage of nutrients last feeding, I added the Kelp and Seaweed/fish to the feeding today (5ml CalMg+, 7ml of Fish Farts, 15ml of Kelp). The solution was pretty dark after I mixed it all together, and so I was unable to get a very accurate pH reading from my liquid kit. I estimated it to be around 7 pH, but I need to get an electric meter I guess.

I'm not sure how often I will use the Fish Fart fertilizer - i'll have to do some research on it to see how badly I really want to use it again in the future.

The plants are all looking well except one is starting to show either nutrient deficiency or a nutrient burn. I can't tell which.
In the picture below, the leaf on the right was very dry but still green, and the leaf on the left is starting to yellow from the inside. (ignore the burn spot)

On the same node but opposite those leaves is more of the yellowing from the inside

That is the only plant that has the yellowing anywhere. Can anyone identify the cause of this?

Everything else is looking healthy.

Added some chain to my DIY T5 stand so I don't need to use DVD cases anymore to raise & lower the light.

here is a cannabis leaf deficiency chart

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpg

here is the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Thanks - I have seen that chart before, but it is pretty hard to tell just by looking at the pictures what it could be. They all look pretty similar on that chart to me. Maybe a potassium or magnesium deficiency? I don't want to just go adding nutrients when I'm still not even sure it's a deficiency of some sort. It looks like it could also be spotting from nutrient lock out. So many variables ....

It is weird that there is only one plant experiencing this problem too. It seems like if it were any of the above problems, my other plants would be seeing them too.

Day 36:

Plants have still been getting 2-3 hours of music daily, but they get Claude Debussy pandora radio now.

Headband (starting their 9th node - still not alternating or showing signs of sex)

Skywalker

I am getting pretty annoyed with the Skywalker. Today the healthy looking Skywalker plant started to show signs of light stress like the smaller one. What boggles my mind is that there is a Headband under the same light that is taller than the Skywalker but shows no signs of light stress. It's starting to make me think that either the Skywalker genetics I have are weak, or one of my lights is producing hot spots which just so happen to be burning my only two Skywalkers. I'm fairly sure by now that it is not the latter as I've tried moving the plants around daily, but only the Skywalkers are affected.

Oh well. I'm over it at this point. I am happy to have my thriving Headband, and my new seeds arrive shortly.

The picture of the leaf with the yellowing looks like a slight N deficiency to me. But I again I can't be sure and don't want you adding nutrients to your plant that it doesn't necessarily need. I'm always happy to give my opinion, but it is just that, an opinion. I hope you are able to figure things out. On a side note, those headband are looking great! :cool:

:peace:

Right on, thanks for the kind words planetaryherb.

I will keep your hypothesis in mind - for now the plant doesn't seem to be suffering any more than it already did. The yellowing hasn't expanded much since when the pictures were taken, and it is only on the one plant. I'm thinking I maybe gave it nutrients without shaking really well or something like that.

Well for some reason my photos from iCloud aren't updating on my PC so I guess I won't be posting pictures today.

I hate apple... it's so useless

Day 38:

Headband were watered today with 1-gallon mixed with 30 ml of Age Old Grow and 5 ml of CalMg+.

I also prepared some 5-gallon pots for tomorrow when I plan on transplanting.

Day 39:

Today 7/8 plants were transplanted into 5-gallon containers. The smallest headband still recovering from first transplant will stay in 1-gallon for a while.

My soil was pretty loose, even after a watering yesterday, so I made myself something to put over the tops of the 1-gallon containers so I could flip them over without damaging the root ball.

I will post pictures of the ladies in their new homes when the lights come on later.

Back
Top Bottom