Hijinks Headband & Skywalker Indoor Soil Grow Journal

Your plants are looking great Hijinks! Those Headband are nice and tall just like mine was, only yours look better! I'm glad you're figuring out the issues with the skywalker, I'm sure they will all end up turning out great. Be sure to post up a link to your next journal if you make one for those seeds so I can be sure to sub :). + reps!

:peace:

Thanks canna and planetary for the kind words. I will definitely make a link to a new journal if and when I make it. Still waiting on my Heatsink for the computer so until then I apologize for the lack of detailed updates.

Today the deadhead seed was showing taproot so it was planted.

Headband and skywalker are doing well.

Picked up wood today to start the flower room, and I ordered two 1000 watt apollo lights (same as the 400 watt I am currently using, dimmable etc). Construction starts tomorrow. Lights should get here next week.

Lemon og was showing taproot today and planted into a rapid rooter.

Last night I super cropped 3 of the headband - I pinched the two tallest plants where the other headband sit so they should be similar sizes in a couple weeks, and I supercropped the smallest headband as well which is now my tester plant. I fimmed two of the small headband's side shoots, and I topped the main shoot.

The plants also had some yellow fan leaves removed as well as the fan leaves 3 nodes from the top to reveal more budsites

My Heatsink is supposed to show up tomorrow so hopefully I can do a more detailed update

Day 51:

Sorry for lack of updates lately - finally got my PC working again.

Received my 2x 1000 watt lights today so I will start flower room construction this weekend. The Headband will go into flower soon after (still not sure about the skywalker).

The Headband are all doing very well except one that has a slight cal/mag burn, not nearly as bad as the Skywalkers.

Headband

Skywalker is still showing signs of cal/mag burn (especially the one that has been giving me problems since day 1). Not too concerned about it at this point. The small skywalker has been giving me problems since week 1, and the "healthy" skywalker hasn't been much better.

Skywalker

The 3 seeds I popped a few days ago are all showing leaves as of today (the Tahoe was showing leaves yesterday, Deadhead & Lemon today)

Deadhead

Lemon in the back and Tahoe in the front

I am pretty happy that they were all successful as they were the most expensive seeds of the 7 I bought.

My two free seeds are now 20 days old or so, not really keeping the best of track. They are at 5 nodes.

Sugar Mango Ryder

Afghan x White Widow

The clones that I took a week ago are still not showing signs of roots.

Day 52:

Pretty discouraging day today ... Not only are my skywalker looking a lot worse, but my Headband are starting to show signs of whatever is going on in my garden. One Headband in particular is showing signs much worse than the others, but all of them have brown on the very end of their fan leaf tips. I really don't understand what is going on, and it is really frustrating trying to find information on nutrient burn/deficiencies.

I haven't given the plants any nutrients since transplant, and it is the same soil that I used previously, so I really don't understand how they would suddenly be getting any sort of burn. My friend who claimed it was a cal/mag burn is pretty unhelpful now claiming he doesn't know soil. I am wary to flush the soil since it is basically brand new without any nutrients, but this seems to be what most people recommend.

Tomorrow I will go to Way to Grow and see if anyone there can identify my problem, but at this point I feel pretty defeated. I don't even really want to build my flower room - what is the point if I can't even veg the plant.

Skywalker

Headband (so far only 1/5 looks like this thank god)

Headband tips are all turning brown though, not even sure if this is related

i would flush with at least twice the volume as the pot size in pH adjusted water. i believe it is the Roots Organics soil you have selected and is either pH or nutrient related. the brown tips on your plants are a sign of nutrient burn. to get a better idea of what is going on in your soil I would water with pH adjusted water until you have the first run off and collect the run off and use a pH meter to determine what the pH of the soil is, if you have a ppm meter i would also test with it.

Hi Hijinks, sorry to hear of your troubles. But if you are persistent you will get past this. In my last grow I had very similar problems, my garden seemed to be dying right before my eyes no matter what I tried to do to fix the problem. I went out and bought lots of expensive crap to add to the water thinking my plants definitely are in need of something I was not giving them. I too was very frustrated and ready to give up. The leaves on the majority of my plants would start to get brown around the edges, then get curl up and get really dry until they fell off. A few of them even looked worse off then you're most sickly looking skywalker. I can't be positive what exactly was causing this, but it was recommend to that I might be because there was a toxic build of of nutes in the soil or pH problem. Anyway, after giving them a nice flush during which I just sat each plant under the bathtub faucet for a little while and just let the water run though. After the first 1-2 feedings after I had started flowering, I stopped using nutes all together and used pH balanced water only and my plants seemingly came back to life. I went from a garden I thought was surely doomed to getting just over 14oz off of my 7 plants in the end. All I'm trying to say is that if you stick with it you will figure it out. Every grow is a learning experience, and one of the things I learned my first time around is that you can't expect your first grow to go about perfectly without a couple hitched here in there. I'll post a couple pics of my last grow so you can see what I'm talking about. I hope this helps a little, if not with the actually problem, then at least with your morale :).

Also wanted to note that I was my CaliConnection Headband that looked the worst out of all my plants, but it produced some of the best bud out of all of them.

Here are some I could find. The problem actually became much, much worse than these photos are showing. Actually pics of my Headband plant before and after.

IMG_091625.JPG
IMG_091419.JPG
IMG_091518.JPG

Ended up producing this :). Even in the final pics you can see the curled up, dead, brown leaves next to the glorious buds.

IMG_118714.JPG
IMG_119013.JPG
IMG_11929.JPG
IMG_119314.JPG
IMG_119414.JPG

Damn those are some nice purpley looking nugs Planetary. Thanks for the support, I appreciate. Seeing those pictures gave me a good boost of confidence. Also thanks KingJohn for continuously staying on top of my journal and always being there for advice. You guys are the best.

I went to my grow store today, and they wouldn't look at my pictures because they have to stay unaffiliated with cannabis, but when I described the problem to them, they think my problem is a cal/mag deficiency. Apparently calcium/magnesium deficiencies and burns look almost identical. The guys at the grow store do not think that my problem is a nutrient burn from the new soil, and he recommended giving them extra cal/mag in a feeding or as a foliar spray. The soil that I use has no calcium or magnesium, and I have only added Cal/Mg+ a couple times to my feedings. My RO water reads 015 ppm, so I think a deficiency makes more sense than a burn.

I at least have the clones of these plants if something awful happens to them.

I will be watering all the plants today regardless of their moisture levels with at least 5ml of cal/mag.

I have seen these problems occasionally with my plants and it is almost always a calcium/magnesium issue. What I do is 5ml-10ml gen org ca/mg depending on what I feel per 5 gallons of water. I alternate between 5 and 10 usually. If everything is in order I may skip once every few waterings. I use roots to veg in and then they go into a supersoil blend. When they go into the supersoil and the roots sink in it is just water and compost tea primarily with a ca/mg supplement as needed. If your trying to go organic do not adjust your ph just start with ro water source and get some sort of silica to use as a ph up I use it sparingly and i use protekt

Well the plants were each watered with 1 gallon of ro water mixed with 5ml cal/mg. I've got my fingers crossed that I see some signs of improvement on my headband. Otherwise, they are looking very healthy.

FINALLY, the headband are showing female pre-flowers. It is nice to know they are telling me they are ready to flower. Tomorrow I start classes for school, and when I get back I plan on starting the flower room. I will also take pictures of the plants and post tomorrow. The skywalkers continue to shrivel away, especially the smaller one. There is only one headband affected by the symptoms noticeably. The others just barely have hints of it.

The SMR and Afghan x White widow both were topped today above their 5th node.

Day 56 (8 weeks old, changing to flower once the room is built)

Headband seem to be doing well - i'm not noticing much growth in what I believe now was a cal/mg deficiency. I have been using R/O water the whole grow cycle, but I had been using Cal/Mg+ supplement only during nutrient feedings. I will now probably add cal/mg to at least every other watering.

Still not sure what is wrong with the Skywalker, and it is still getting progressively worse. Oh well.

4 Headband clones were finally showing roots (and big ones at that) and so they were transplanted into soil and put under my mother light t5.

My 3 seedlings were also transplanted into soil and put under the same light.

Headband

The one sickly looking Headband

The Skywalker (i'm almost too embarrassed to even post these)

I've been trying to remove the really bad leaves, but it is not growing enough to replace the bad at this point.

i would use your calcium and magnesium supplement every time you use Reverse Osmosis water to use it properly. you should also discontinue using calcium and magnesium 3 weeks prior to your harvest.

Day 57 (flower day 1)

Well the flower room is still under construction but I swapped out the 400 watt lights to HPS and put the timers on 12/12.

The little headband and my two freebies were moved with the clones under the t5. 4 more clones were rooted and planted today

Day 62 (flower day 6)

Headband continue to thrive. They are really blowing up during this first week. The skywalker are not doing well, but I have 3 skywalker clones rooted now that I will hopefully be able to figure out.

Yesterday I popped the tangerine dream seed for my gfs birthday. It was planted today after soaking for 22 hrs.

The headband were watered today with 7ml cal/mg, 5ml liquid kelp, 10ml age old grow. I will start them on the bloom nutes week 3 of flowering and on.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I will post pictures later tonight when the plants are awake.

Almost all of the 25 clones have rooted, and I am starting to run out of room under my t5. It is also creating a LOT more heat than I was expecting, so now I need to set up some sort of exhaust for that closest

Back
Top Bottom