Hijinks Headband & Skywalker Indoor Soil Grow Journal

Hello mate, Nice to make your aquaintance...
I was perusing the journals when I came upon yours:) I saw your intentions and it LOOKEY LIKE FUN!!! Mate, I wish I had the space to do that but at present Im a 1plant man... But I normally yield around a pound in soil under 400w MH/HPS, my present im hoping to go 1.5lb.. Not sure but gotta have hopes ay! ok well have a good one and will drop in later. Smokemup:thumb:

Hello mate, Nice to make your aquaintance...
I was perusing the journals when I came upon yours:) I saw your intentions and it LOOKEY LIKE FUN!!! Mate, I wish I had the space to do that but at present Im a 1plant man... But I normally yield around a pound in soil under 400w MH/HPS, my present im hoping to go 1.5lb.. Not sure but gotta have hopes ay! ok well have a good one and will drop in later. Smokemup:thumb:

Wow... 1 lb a plant is pretty amazing! Nice work

Day 19:

I didn't update yesterday, but I was successful in making my first DIY air filter for my active intake.
Cost: $15 (with tons of refills)
Materials: 4" duct connector, Sticky-back velcro, light-loft polyester batting (used to fill quilts and stuff... found at fabric stores)

I took the velcro and stuck it to one end around the outside of the 4" duct. Next I cut a small piece of batting and stuck it to the velcro. First I tried doubling it up but it restricted airflow too much so I ended up just using 1 single ply of batting as a filter. It seems to be working really well. I no longer have any small dust particles on my black floor, and the piece of batting that has only been there for 1 day is already brownish in hue. When it looks dirty, I will just rip it off, throw it away, and cut out a new piece. The batting that was only $8 will last me a long time.
IMG_133919.JPG

Today the electrician came and installed 8 outlets that are each on their own 20 amp breaker.... Excessive? Probably. Especially since the main breaker is only 125 amps. I will never use all 8 outlets though, I was merely giving myself room to grow into. When I get around to building the flower room, it will have plenty of amps available at least.
IMG_13389.JPG

Luckily the humidity went up a little bit outside as well so I am back into the 40's RH.

Headband:
IMG_133315.JPG
IMG_133511.JPG

Skywalker:
IMG_13369.JPG

The small headband in the back of the skywalker picture is recovering. The other day I was finally feeling discouraged about it's size so I pulled on it to see if there had any root growth. I couldn't pull it out of the ground! And today the leaves look slightly larger. Plants are amazing.

Day 21:

Today the Headband went from 75% (300watts) to 100% (400watts). They are all thriving like crazy now. Following KingJohn's advice I waited to give them full wattage until they were 5"+ and 5 nodes. The Skywalker plants also went from 50% to 75%. All of the plants also got watered today.

Good news/Bad news time

First the good news! The little headband that is under the 75% MH light with the Skywalkers is starting to pull through my mutilation from when I transplanted. It is showing definite growth and the yellow tips in the leaves are disappearing.

Bad news ... The struggling skywalker (it must have been put on this earth to teach me all the lessons it possibly can as a first time grower) is now starting to yellow. It is still showing signs of growth and recovery, but it is definitely a shade lighter than its healthier sister. Can anyone identify what could be causing this? The two plants are in the same soil, same light levels, practically everything because they are side-by-side and started from the same day.

Headband:
IMG_134419.JPG

Skywalker:
IMG_134614.JPG

i would start your larger plants on a 1/4 strength dosage of nutrients now.

Great! Thanks. I was wondering about that. Do you think they will be okay going another week without the nutrients since I just fed them today, or should I water them again early with 1/4 nutes?

Day 22:

The Headband continues to thrive. It is starting to overlap its neighbors. Starting to have to rotate the plants so all leaves get light.

Even the Headband I thought I had killed is starting to regrow:

Skywalker, slowly but surely:

Today I cleaned my DIY filter for the first time... and I'm glad I did. It was pretty disgusting, even after only a week's use. Lol it makes me want to barf just looking at it.

:roorrip: dabs to the dome from the RooR time!

Day 23:

Headband

My potential mother (the one who was accidentally supercropped in the first week)

Compared to her sisters

The Headband I dropped during transplant compared to a healthier sister:

Skywalker:

On a side note: One of my gf's outdoor plants bleeds a red liquid when we cut it. Its pretty creepy. Anyone have any plants that bleed?

Day 25:

Yesterday the plants starting to look droopy from lack of water so they will be getting 1 gallon mixed between them with <1/4 dose of Age Old grow today when the lights come on (in about an hour).

Today I streamlined my intake ducting. When I originally had it as a passive intake I made more 90deg turns in the ducting, but now with an inline fan and DIY filter on the front, much less light-proofing is needed.

Before:

After:

Makes much less noise now because I was able to turn the controller on the speed down quite a bit. Should save some energy too.

Pics of the ladies to come later tonight

Day 25:

Headband:

Skywalker:

The plants got a 1-gallon mixed with <1/4 nutes drink today split between them. The Skywalkers only got a little bit compared to the Headband. The pH was adjusted to ~6.5 (I really want to upgrade to the electronic readers so I know exactly what the pH is but they are $80 at the local shop).

Day 27:

Picked up some CalMg+ solution from General Organics from my local store today. I would have used Age Old but they only have a calcium solution, nothing with cal & mag. Thanks to KingJohn for reminding me about needing it with RO water. I will add it next feeding.

Headband

Skywalker

Well today before the lights went out I went to check on the plants and noticed a few fan leaves starting to droop. Just 12 hours ago the plants looked like this:

but now the upper fan leaves are drooping like this:

Can anyone identify what is going on here? It is happening to all of my plants, even the smaller skywalkers. It doesn't seem to be a over/under watering problem because the soil is slightly moist from the watering 2 days ago.

It looks to me like they are just getting ready for bed, they know the lights are about to go off. The plants in my last grow would always droop during the night then perk back once the light came back on in the morning. I would wait to see what they look like once the light comes back on.

Yes! this was definitely what it was. :Namaste: Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. +reps! I guess I should have given it another light cycle before crying wolf! The plants looked completely fine 30 minutes into the lights on.

Day 28:

I apologize for the constant photos, but I am doing it more for myself than anything. I really enjoy being able to look back at this. Too lazy to keep a detailed written journal so a photo journal will have to suffice.

Headband

Skywalker

The skywalker plants are at 5 nodes now and were finally put from 75% dim to 100%.

Back
Top Bottom