Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Highya HM,

Love the story! Great work on the trimming chore! Are you prepared to do that every 6 weeks? Or are you trying to think through hiring trimmers? Congrats on living through the trim job!! Cheers

Well, hiring trimmers is out...unless they don't smoke pot, they are female, young, attractive...and naked. Those I will pay with free weed and perhaps father a child for each.

MY genetics are pricey. :oops:

It's a job. A hobby job. A Jobby. So I'll just become the fastest weed trimmer in North America.

Besides, trimming is worth at least three times more than probably anyone doing it is getting paid. I couldn't pay what it's worth!

Well, maybe I could...

Peace, Hyena

Time to invest in some better trimmers bro! You'd be surprised how much of a difference in speed it makes.

Yes, I have looked at a lot of trimming machines, and they all have their pluses and minuses...

I appreciate the ones that shave all nugs into little cute Christmas trees but I prefer a slightly more inclusive trim, that leaves a bit more material...commercial growers don't mind losing half the nug weight because they use the trim and such, but I have no ready outlet for the trim so for now I am doing a more natural, less destructive finish. Hand trim close then finish by hand with a Trimbag for that little final polish but not taking away half the nug like a lot of the industrial cylinder-style machines seem to do.

The folks that are anxiously awaiting my produce are down with it. They can't wait. Neither can I!

Peace, Hyena

Been a bit, but hey, I've been busy, but here goes the (first) final weight and smoke report for Run #1 at

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE!

I went back to see how things had dried and how much we got.

A lot. :yahoo: :high-five:

I'd say over 4 pounds of absolute dank is good for a first try! Plus you know the usual bit more of smaller nug buds and stuff.

A toast to it all!

Yes. after between 5-8 days of drying everything smelled so amazing. That awesome dank smell doesn't really come out until it's dry. Resin coated buds everywhere. My drying/curing room is a smash! Worked perfectly, not a hint of problems.

Then to buck everything.

After three hours I was thinking Buck this! But it got done in piles of frosty, stinkilicious goodness!

Then after weighing everything, the result was a bit over 4 pounds of the danky dank. Like I said pretty good for my first run and making a few mistakes even.

Now to rest...not! The Phase Two room looks like this:

Holy crap Batman, it no joke in here! Getting big and beautiful and nuggy like they are supposed to...

And surprisingly frosty already.

Reaching up for those new HLG 600s...they have a band of red which can only help them be even more awesome!

So I had to take the new girls right up, they were popping already in the lab.

The gigantic and nasty job of watering in and rinsing off huge bags of Hydroton is a chore I don't like but it has to be done. Yuck. Kind of like birthin' babies...messy.

Finally everybody in and snug in their new, and final, homes. Ran a cycle and everything perfect for the next run.

So there's the tale of grow number one.
A lot of work but a lot of fun!
'Twas a joy to share and now that it's done,
Get ready for another run!

VERY!

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

Awesome journal!! Very nice job with grow #1. I'm sure you will increase in gpw, or whatever they use to measure. 2 lbs a month isn't bad for a perpetual grow! I'm sure you would kick that up if you got more ambitious. Anything of great value will take a lot of work. Like myself, I do what needs to get done, and smoke a joint if it seems difficult, or just want to get high! Cheers

Highya HM,

Awesome journal!! Very nice job with grow #1. I'm sure you will increase in gpw, or whatever they use to measure. 2 lbs a month isn't bad for a perpetual grow! I'm sure you would kick that up if you got more ambitious. Anything of great value will take a lot of work. Like myself, I do what needs to get done, and smoke a joint if it seems difficult, or just want to get high! Cheers

Thanks Bode, appreciate your encouragement and being there brother!

Yes, this thing was a lot of work but the hardest part is the development phase, like any complex endeavor. Now things should become more routine, I hope to do most of this in one visit a week, most weeks.

But very happy with the first crop!

Peace, Hyena

Blooming freakin marvelous mr.Hyena just marvelous brother....:slide:

Thanks Smeeg, sure appreciate sharing the story with ya and you being there! I tell everybody I have a buddy in South Africa! Of course, I don't mention he's a freaky freak who runs around mostly naked and keeps trying to steal my wedding ring... :oops: :D

Peace, Hyena

Congratulations on that massive harvest, and under 50% on the lights! I recently harvested 2x 5 foot plants and only ended up yielding right at 13.5 ounces, and man it took me at least 10-15 hours. Trimming 12 plants all in one 3-4 day run ain't no joke! I also need to get some better Fiskar pruners, I was using little oldschool barber scissors. NOT the way to go. Going to fire up a second 4x4 tent as soon as we start to stay under 70 degrees outside.

How much longer on tent #2 now? 3-4 more weeks? Intense. I'd rate those last two Grow Haus updates for grow journal posts of the year.

Congratulations on that massive harvest, and under 50% on the lights! I recently harvested 2x 5 foot plants and only ended up yielding right at 13.5 ounces, and man it took me at least 10-15 hours. Trimming 12 plants all in one 3-4 day run ain't no joke! I also need to get some better Fiskar pruners, I was using little oldschool barber scissors. NOT the way to go. Going to fire up a second 4x4 tent as soon as we start to stay under 70 degrees outside.

How much longer on tent #2 now? 3-4 more weeks? Intense. I'd rate those last two Grow Haus updates for grow journal posts of the year.

Thanks my friend...much appreciated.

Regarding shears, I use these cute little ones with big handles, very easy to operate and no fatigue factor from a spring.

There aren't words yet invented to describe how fun the third and fourth consecutive day of trimming are. The only way I was able to focus was to be completely stoned. I am lucky I have all my fingertips. Day 3 the smell of fresh buds was making me nauseous. When I finally left I actually hated weed.

Of course it's all better now!

My release is writing about it all, so I sincerely appreciate you being along. Bring a friend next time. A hot chick preferably.

Peace, Hyena

Congrats on pulling off a wonderful Grow #1 in the new set up. 4 lbs.....awesome man!

Stanks a lot my friend!! Appreciate you being out there in canna land and riding along.

I now need to figure out how to bulk and improve my buds to make 4 become 5+...I have a few ideas but have my radar on for others...

Peace, Hyena

How about CO2?

How about CO2?

Well, good question.

For starters I'd love to use it IF it can be done in my setup. Not too sure about that yet though.

From what I've read and seen I would have to change my ventilation system from full-pull pass-through to closed-loop. Temperature control is paramount, especially when you're not even there for many days at a stretch. For now, I have it where it needs to be when combined with central A/C being set at 78 degrees. Tents stay at low 80s max, Summer. Shutting that down even for periods of time would take the tent temps higher. And it seems like Closed-loop would be consistently hotter. How much hotter I don't know because my LEDs aren't all that hot. By comparison, HID bulbs, even in closed, ventilated hoods, are a LOT hotter.

CO2 in general makes the temps go higher. I know it's useful to the processing of the gas by the plants to have higher temps, even 90-95 degrees, so I'm not ruling it out maybe during Winter but Summer seems like it might get too hot to properly form terps. But again I don't know.

More thought is needed. And I'm thinkin'.

Peace, Hyena

Since you don't live in said grow house, you may also consider running a large full tank of CO2 on a leak/drip valve just outside the tent, filling up the entire room and possibly house as it would passively be sucked into the tents. I also take some of that "you need higher temps running CO2" bit with a small grain of salt. I've personally seen monster plants pumped with CO2 much larger than without, running at constant 75 degrees with massive A/C. I wouldn't grow any plants at all under 95 degree conditions. No professional grows do, either.

Hey hey hey!

It's yet another HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

And just like that, HGH Run #1 was in the books. Paid almost 9 grand. Not bad for a first crack. Now we are going to see if we can up this game a bit more...

First, I'm finally to the point where everything is built, tested, and running fine. As originally designed, I was hoping to get this to the point where one visit per week would be sufficient except for harvest weeks where I will be sitting for four days trimming, and recon/planting where it takes a couple days. We're there. :yahoo:

HGH Run #2 is right on schedule...plumping up everywhere and smelling soooo fine...

The Super Bud looks tasty:

Blueberry coming on strong:

And of course White Widow doing her fluffy thing..

No signs anywhere of problems. So far. The humidity is lower this time of year and this level should get a lot easier to maintain now that hot sticky Summer temps are fading. I removed about 150 fan leaves and couldn't even tell I had removed anything. What a hedge, baby. I literally feel like diving in...okay, I could live in this tent. I like to take a few minutes and just stand in the middle of it all. And breathe it in...what an aroma.

I'm thinking maybe I could bulk up my budz. They were good but could be even better. So I'm trying this:

Since I use the basic GH series (Grow, Micro, and Bloom), this should fit right in. It's stinky so probably good stuff. Plus, this time around these girls haven't been in the dark for a full week, nor were they flooded for 12 hours every day for another week. So let's see if they are better.

I still see the yellowing of a fair percentage of leaves on a couple varieties a bit earlier than I'm used to in my lab...I don't know if it's just the variety, or if it's these LEDs. I have heard that strong LEDs yellow the leaves earlier than HID, though I'm not sure the science of that, and I will say the amazing density of this grow might have something to do with it too. It didn't seem to hurt bud development in Run #1 so I'm just observing. And removing the dying leaves where I can reach them...the Phase 2 tent room is a little smaller that Phase 1 so there's only access on three sides, and I physically can't get to the back of the hedge. Those couple of plants are on their own.

Meanwhile, back in the Phase 1 tent Run #3 is nice and happy, just beginning to expand and grow. I topped everyone and lowered the scrog frame...the Eagle has landed!

It was soooo cool to only be there about 90 minutes and do everything. Most weeks I think it will be like that. As I locked the place and started home, I felt the thought creep in...why not a second location? Man, if I had TWO of these, now we're talking! I was always the kid who thought too big but I couldn't stop thinking about this...and I'm still thinking. Hmmmmm...

Once I got home I looked at the piles of nugs I still have left after giving the bulk of it to those who wanted it...

Hello Kitty! Meow!

Peace, Hyena

Hyena, you are a scientist and a master:) This is my favorite Journal of all time...I would like to go swimming in the fields of green with you should you decide to actually dive in. LOL. Great job my friend!

JB

Back
Top Bottom