InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Hiya ItS,
Questions questions questions. Always questions. I so much appreciate the thread you offer here Shed, you have no idea. I pop onto your thread, every once in a while to ask you or one of your learned peers questions.. then I disappear. Welp, here we go again.... lowest outside temperature for girls? 40f? 35f? maybe 30f? before ya toss a sheet over them? Have read some that said close to freezing was good for late flower, where others have said nope... any thoughts or open experiences?

Hiya ItS,
Questions questions questions. Always questions. I so much appreciate the thread you offer here Shed, you have no idea. I pop onto your thread, every once in a while to ask you or one of your learned peers questions.. then I disappear. Welp, here we go again.... lowest outside temperature for girls? 40f? 35f? maybe 30f? before ya toss a sheet over them? Have read some that said close to freezing was good for late flower, where others have said nope... any thoughts or open experiences?
That's a great question, and I would call in the man who has just gone through this: @The Celt!

While we wait to hear from him, I can tell you that the uptake of nutrients slows down even under 65ºF, so I hope you're talking about overnight lows rather than daytime highs :).

If you already have a sheet avaliable, I would certainly throw it over them at 40!

Thanks Shed, I had no idea that nutrient uptake slowed down at such a high temperature. I have been tossing a sheet over them when the night time temps hit 40f or so. I was just wandering if I was hendering them by doing so. Our temps have been mid 60s during the day to mid 40s at night lately, and now we are having some night time dives into the lower 30s. Had talked to a couple growers near here, by golly if one didn't say, "let em get down to 30 and it'll cause them to flower rapidly." Whilst his best friend told me just the opposite.... "nothing under 45 for him" Have two plants that I set out really late and they still have a couple weeks to finish, was just trying to get as much finishing as I could. Thank you again kind sir.

Morning guys @InTheShed and @oopssteptinit, I heard my name called ;)

Frost and dips below freezing over night is not something I have ever really concerned myself with, mature plants seem to take it in stride, spring or fall. From experience, any healthy plant 6-8 weeks old will take a mild frost or 2 in the spring with no ill effects.

The same holds true for flowering plants in the fall. My girls have been through 2 frosts back to back in September with the second night where the leaves were actually crispy (frozen) and 2 more back to back again last week with no real harm done. As Shed said, if you can cover them, you should, but if you can’t, it’s not a big concern.

Although this is by no means scientific, observation this year with the 4 frosts, leads me to believe that the frosty nights with warm days does indeed put the girls into overdrive. My big Cluster Bomb and the 2 Blue Dream twins, although about 2 weeks behind the other plants starting to flower, seemed to catch up. I wasn’t expecting the CB to be ready for another week or 2 and I could have started cutting her over a week ago if I had time.

I would, as @InTheShed said, keep an eye out for rot though. Frosts will harm any weakened parts of the plant, from insect damage (worms in my case), and can cause that bud to die and rot can set in.

So far, with 9 girls down and about 6lbs or more of bud, I’ve cut out about 2oz worth of rot, mostly caused by those damn worms and would likely have happened even if they hadn’t been through a number of frosts.

Best advice is: cover them if you can, if you can’t, shake the water from them after the frost melts and watch for dying bud and rot.

Thanks so much @The Celt , you have kind of confirmed what I had been hearing here and there. Both girls are very mature and seem to have taken it in stride over night.... Although I did cover them, it did still get down to around 35 under the sheet... was thinking of possibly leaving them uncovered tonight to see if it might give them a jolt into overdrive. Thank you again, for your words of wisdom.... have an awesome day! Thanks again Shed!

and....
So far, with 9 girls down and about 6lbs or more of bud, I’ve cut out about 2oz worth of rot, mostly caused by those damn worms and would likely have happened even if they hadn’t been through a number of frosts.
That to me is an impressive harvest, I can't even imagine harvesting and trimming that much. Wow. Good Job!

Thanks Shed for wanting to help me understand that science stuff But at this time it is just a waste of typing breath lol Since it was brought up i know when i was growing in the winter (in a barn ) the temps were in the 30-40 F and i noticed in adult plant that they did as was said bulk up or overdrive as was put , i liked that , but if starting plant from yough where very slow about growing .. I ran a small heater at times . That shit was defeating the porpose when the elect bill came :( O and the clones look Good !! Also no piss test yet and probably want be because of the Virass , Hell i can even find anyone to buy weed from at the time WTF!

Guess-The-Sex game coming up later today. Stay tuned!

Thanks Shed for wanting to help me understand that science stuff But at this time it is just a waste of typing breath lol
Oh well...can't blame a guy for trying!
but if starting plant from yough where very slow about growing .. I ran a small heater at times
Young plants are putting a lot of their energy into root growth, so cold has got to be hard on them. Heater in a barn? That electric bill must have been crazy!
Also no piss test yet and probably want be because of the Virass , Hell i can even find anyone to buy weed from at the time WTF!
Even the weed dealers are staying home? Must be a high positivity rate by you :).
Nice clones shed. Thanks for all the info.
Thanks J3!

Even the weed dealers are staying home? Must be a high positivity rate by you :).

probably plain out. even the dispensaries here were hard pressed to keep up to the demand. dispensaries and liquor stores are left open here as essential services even in lockdown.

It's tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime!

The Friday update is "Let's play guess-the-sex" for the two Colombian Golds.

Plant names noted in the lower left of each pic, and there are only two plants. All guesses will be tabulated including (but not encouraging) mentions of "aliens" in honor of @Chris Scorpio. All original guesses at their birth are being discarded as premature (something with which MrS does not want to be associated).

Herewith is the evidence so far...

Colombian Gold 1:

Colombian Gold 2:

Have it at boys and girls! And :thanks: in advance for your help.

:green_heart:

It's tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime!

The Friday update is "Let's play guess-the-sex" for the two Colombian Golds.

Plant names noted in the lower left of each pic, and there are only two plants. All guesses will be tabulated including (but not encouraging) mentions of "aliens" in honor of @Chris Scorpio. All original guesses at their birth are being discarded as premature (something with which MrS does not want to be associated).

Herewith is the evidence so far...

Colombian Gold 1:

Colombian Gold 2:

Have it at boys and girls! And :thanks: in advance for your help.

:green_heart:
Well on looking I realize I am a bit rusty on visually determining after the break between outdoor grow seasons here in NZ. But, to make a guess I would say CG1 - boy, CG2-girl. Altho without checking back in your thread I presume you're growing female seeds or at least think you are.

Back
Top Bottom