InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Aphid update with this morning's pics just before the 6th day of spraying:

Very few larger ones but still some smaller ones, which means that the eggs are hatching and I'm getting them before they have a chance to eat and grow.

I mentioned that I was going to do a 7 day trial so we still have two more sprayings to go...we'll see!

Didn't have a chance to take any other pics this morning because the roofers were fixing a hole in the garage peak. Thanks for stopping by just for bug pics though. :ciao:

Quotes:

A line of diatomaceous earth will do it as well. If you don't want to leave the dust around you can mix it with water in a spray bottle and lay down a stripe. When it dries it should work just as well.

LOL welcome back for a minute Age!

It is indeed if you have the patience to spray every day!

ProMix starts off lighter and dries out faster, so I'm used to the weight/frequency of dry ProMix more than dry soil. I think I was waiting too long between watering because dry soil weighs more than dry ProMix.

I might be finally getting the hang of it, so maybe I can keep the summer grow happier from now on! And I always top these days, usually above the 8th node. I have no idea how many these have so I should get in there and count (including the ones I took off at transplant).

Thanks sb!
Ah above the 8th node. This my confusion. Just not there yet.

Hiya Shed. Looks like you’re winning the battle of the aphids. :thumb:

Summer grow looking good. Eagerly anticipating, and long awaiting, Mrs S’s thoughts on trainwreck.

I do have an ant problem that I need to deal with. Unfortunately I only know one way to get rid of ants and that is bait traps.
Another possible ant deterrent is cinnamon. I used a sprinkle in the pantry, right at the spot the buggers we’re getting in. I didn’t have any ant issues the rest of the summer.

A line of diatomaceous earth will do it as well. If you don't want to leave the dust around you can mix it with water in a spray bottle and lay down a stripe. When it dries it should work just as well.
Thanks for this!

Thursday aphid update and a bit more!

Here are the Sour G stems before the 7th spray of 2:9 iso:water:

And the leaves:

Still eggs, still aphids. Today was the 7th spraying and it looks like the life cycle can't be broken in 7 days with this spray. So rather than continue on a daily basis I will go to every 3 days and see how long it takes (if ever) to tackle the problem.

In other news, here are some leaves on the Trainwreck. Top:

Underside:

Looks like septoria to me. Hasn't spread to the Purple Urkle right next to it yet, but I'm hitting them with neem at the moment. I'll see if the Sourthern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide works (Bacillus amyloliquefaciens) because the U of Kentucky has this to say about hemp leaf septoria:

"At this time, there are no conventional fungicides labeled for use on hemp. Biological products that include the active ingredient Bacillus (Bacillus amyloliquefaciens, B. mycoides, B. subtilis) have shown suppression in lab and greenhouse experiments. No field data is currently available."

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Speaking of the Purple Urkle, and regarding Jon's post above:
Ah above the 8th node. This my confusion. Just not there yet.

I kinda lost track so topping is on the agenda! :)

Finally, when I put it in the tent last night, I did a quick look around the Sour G that was flipped a week after the STS one, and I found two visible seeds! On flip day 49:

That's a start. :yahoo:

I hope everyone's week is going well. Thanks for stopping by!

Quotes:
Hiya Shed. Looks like you’re winning the battle of the aphids.
Summer grow looking good. Eagerly anticipating, and long awaiting, Mrs S’s thoughts on trainwreck.
Thanks! And I will be sure to let you know if it gets her high. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Another possible ant deterrent is cinnamon. I used a sprinkle in the pantry, right at the spot the buggers we’re getting in. I didn’t have any ant issues the rest of the summer.
Good info for small spaces! I can't imagine it's cheap enough to surround a grow with. Better smelling for sure though!
Thanks for this!
:thumb:

I'm with Boo on the leaf removal- I'm not really sure how septoria works, but I assume those spots put out spores and infect other areas of the plant(s)?
Be sure to wash your hands and your tools after you remove them- don't need that shit moving indoors...

Cool deal on the seeds!

Congrats on the seeds Shed! Is Septoria typically found on plants grown outdoors? I’ve never seen or heard of it before.
Thanks N! Septoria seems to be an outside thing but from what I read the fixes don't really help me (again from the U of KY paper):
  • Increase plant spacing to allow for improved air flow and rapid drying.
  • Thin plants to allow for better air movement.
  • Maintain plant health.
  • Apply a mulch layer to limit movement of fungal structures.
  • Deep till fields at the end of the season and again before planting to thoroughly bury debris.

I'll take off the ones with spots and put them down the disposal, and then I'll dig out the Southern Ag and spray that tomorrow.
I'm with Boo on the leaf removal- I'm not really sure how septoria works, but I assume those spots put out spores and infect other areas of the plant(s)? Be sure to wash your hands and your tools after you remove them- don't need that shit moving indoors...
It is spore-based, so I will wet them first and cut them off, and then sterilize the scissors and my hands. We'll see!
Cool deal on the seeds!
Thank you Carcass! I was surprised to see them since I was thinking I should have seen them at least week ago. They look pretty ripe and I don't want to lose them in the schlepping and misting (every morning when the come out of the tent in case the STS one is still spitting pollen), so I'm not sure what to do. Pluck them or wait?

Thursday aphid update and a bit more!

Here are the Sour G stems before the 7th spray of 2:9 iso:water:

And the leaves:

Still eggs, still aphids. Today was the 7th spraying and it looks like the life cycle can't be broken in 7 days with this spray. So rather than continue on a daily basis I will go to every 3 days and see how long it takes (if ever) to tackle the problem.

In other news, here are some leaves on the Trainwreck. Top:

Underside:

Looks like septoria to me. Hasn't spread to the Purple Urkle right next to it yet, but I'm hitting them with neem at the moment. I'll see if the Sourthern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide works (Bacillus amyloliquefaciens) because the U of Kentucky has this to say about hemp leaf septoria:

"At this time, there are no conventional fungicides labeled for use on hemp. Biological products that include the active ingredient Bacillus (Bacillus amyloliquefaciens, B. mycoides, B. subtilis) have shown suppression in lab and greenhouse experiments. No field data is currently available."

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Speaking of the Purple Urkle, and regarding Jon's post above:

I kinda lost track so topping is on the agenda! :)

Finally, when I put it in the tent last night, I did a quick look around the Sour G that was flipped a week after the STS one, and I found two visible seeds! On flip day 49:

That's a start. :yahoo:

I hope everyone's week is going well. Thanks for stopping by!

Quotes:

Thanks! And I will be sure to let you know if it gets her high. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Good info for small spaces! I can't imagine it's cheap enough to surround a grow with. Better smelling for sure though!

:thumb:
Aphids. . (closest I could get to a shudder emoji).
Excellent work identifying that leaf issue, very impressive. So do you cut off the leaves that have that?

Highya ITS,

Congratulations on your seeds and project success. Always good to have things go your way. Hopefully, there's many more. Persistence was the key!

I was going to offer advice on the septoria, but Carcass and HH have given you what I found out. Is Ag Labs stuff a fungucide? Just Checking. Happy Smokin'

Pluck them or wait?
I'd pluck 'em before they fall out, or get eaten by the birds (hey, it could happen..:rolleyes:.)- they look ripe to me.

LOL thanks Baron!
Aphids. . (closest I could get to a shudder emoji). Excellent work identifying that leaf issue, very impressive. So do you cut off the leaves that have that?
I will be cutting those off, yes. Then spraying both plants with the Sourthern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide (bacillus amyloliquefaciens) since they live next to each other on the desk, along with 3 Sour G cuttings and 5 Candida clones. They all look fine!
Congratulations on your seeds and project success. Always good to have things go your way. Hopefully, there's many more. Persistence was the key!
Thanks Bode! I hope I get more than a handful. :)
I was going to offer advice on the septoria, but Carcass and HH have given you what I found out. Is Ag Labs stuff a fungucide?
Not just a fungicide, but a garden friendly fungicide!
I'd pluck 'em before they fall out, or get eaten by the birds (hey, it could happen...)- they look ripe to me.
I do have the Black Phoebes back in town for their second brood of the spring (yay...more shit) along with the usual small birds of SoCal, so I'll give the seeds a tug with a tweezers and see if they come out easily.

I'll also fill up the bird feeder. :thumb:

I hope all is well @InTheShed I have some catching up to do but those sour G seeds are awesome! The mom looks gorgeous. I see there is definitely some content on aphids and the leaf issue so I know I'll learn tons. Happy Thursday, mi amigo

Back
Top Bottom