InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

It's Memorial Day, when we take the time to remember those who died fighting for the freedoms we have. Please do take that time.
:peace:

Thanks sb, back atcha!

Thanks Bill! Theoretically, X sounds like he got exactly what he paid for, so that was a reputable place. Jon could possibly be getting his from someone he may or may not know, so this wouldn't be a business proposition which could add some hypothetical variables!

Sorry I didn't get to post the aphid pic yesterday, so here was yesterday before the 3rd spray:

Some more improvement. Here is this morning before the 4th spray:

And the other stems:

It seems to be working slowly, but I'll keep at it until we know if it works on aphids or doesn't!
Definitely less aphidy in there. Nice work.

Thanks for giving some play to my question/needs on the clones. They are being sent by my Oregon Yoda. They come from Dark Heart Nurseries, whose owner is best friends with my boy. Check out Dark Heart online. The clones will arrive in perfect condition, I have no doubt. We're talking super experienced folks and very well respected clone company here.

It's Memorial Day, when we take the time to remember those who died fighting for the freedoms we have. Please do take that time.
:peace:

Thanks sb, back atcha!

Thanks Bill! Theoretically, X sounds like he got exactly what he paid for, so that was a reputable place. Jon could possibly be getting his from someone he may or may not know, so this wouldn't be a business proposition which could add some hypothetical variables!

Sorry I didn't get to post the aphid pic yesterday, so here was yesterday before the 3rd spray:

Some more improvement. Here is this morning before the 4th spray:

And the other stems:

It seems to be working slowly, but I'll keep at it until we know if it works on aphids or doesn't!
Well said my friend. :love:

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Really appreciate your testing of the ISO mix, Shed! :thumb:

Hey Shed. This day weighs heavy for many.

:( Too slow for my liking. I'd want most (90-100%) gone with the first application. The subsequent applications would be to knock off the ones on steroids.

Where are they coming from? Did ants bring them in to farm them? I'd start attacking the source/ main plant host too. It almost seems like new ones came in for a feast. Or are you confident that those are still from the same population?

Hey Shed. This day weighs heavy for many.

:( Too slow for my liking. I'd want most (90-100%) gone with the first application. The subsequent applications would be to knock off the ones on steroids.

Where are they coming from? Did ants bring them in to farm them? I'd start attacking the source/ main plant host too. It almost seems like new ones came in for a feast. Or are you confident that those are still from the same population?
Ants... bloody ants. Thanks for pointing that out! I'm with you Baked, on the aphids. I'd want to nuke them immediately. I must put ant traps out!

Hi Shed, may you all have a peaceful Memorial Day.

Where are they coming from?
It may not be ants (I don't see any in the pics)- The "colonizer" aphids can fly, so they land on the plant, their wings fall off, and they immediately start having babies, which are all born pregnant, thanks to a process called "parthenogenesis" (reproduction without fertilization)
That's why a crapload of them can show up what seems like overnight, although it actually takes about 3 days for them to infest a plant.

It may not be ants (I don't see any in the pics)- The "colonizer" aphids can fly, so they land on the plant, their wings fall off, and they immediately start having babies, which are all born pregnant, thanks to a process called "parthenogenesis" (reproduction without fertilization)
That's why a crapload of them can show up what seems like overnight, although it actually takes about 3 days for them to infest a plant.
Thanks C.

I feel so much better having read that! :)

Tuesday update...fewer aphids and a little bit more!

Here are the stems before the 5th spray with 2:9 iso:water this morning:

Fewer and fewer!

Or are you confident that those are still from the same population?
They come from eggs on the undersides of the leaves:

New ones hatch and need to be killed before they lay new eggs. If no other flyers land on the plant, you're done when you've killed all the ones that are going to hatch.

That's why it's called Integrated Pest Managment, and why spraying for a specific infestation can take up to three weeks of recurrent spraying depending on the life-cycle of the target insect.

And in non-aphid news, here is proof of life on the Summer Grow:

Trainwreck from @Weed Seeds Express on the left, Purple Urkle on the right. I'm still getting used to watering soil vs ProMix, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I so wish I could get these in the tent to up the growth rate, but the freakin' STS Sour G is still putting out pollen sacs (flip day 55!) so It has to remain isolated. I may just pick off anything remotely green, spray it down (which I do every morning), stick it in the shed with the Jack Herer (flip day 37) and the Candida (no pistils, flip day 9) and hope it's done. :hmmmm:

Quotes:
They look a lot less aphid burdened from here.
Every day in every way, they're getting deader and deader. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Definitely less aphidy in there. Nice work.
Thanks Jon! Persistence is key.
Well said my friend. :love:
Thank you Bill. I hope it was a good weekend for you and yours.
Really appreciate your testing of the ISO mix, Shed!
Glad to help GDB!
Too slow for my liking. I'd want most (90-100%) gone with the first application. The subsequent applications would be to knock off the ones on steroids.
And the eggs? The ones the next day are probably newly hatched ones but I did not put ankle tags on them. :)
As I mentioned above, eggs.
Ants... bloody ants. Thanks for pointing that out! I'm with you Baked, on the aphids. I'd want to nuke them immediately. I must put ant traps out! Hi Shed, may you all have a peaceful Memorial Day.
Thank you Carmen. No ants on my desk and hardly any in the garden! I guess they're not fond of turf. ;)
It may not be ants (I don't see any in the pics)- The "colonizer" aphids can fly, so they land on the plant, their wings fall off, and they immediately start having babies, which are all born pregnant, thanks to a process called "parthenogenesis" (reproduction without fertilization). That's why a crapload of them can show up what seems like overnight, although it actually takes about 3 days for them to infest a plant.
:thanks: Carcass! That's how they populate the plants in the garden, and the cuttings on the desk come with bugs already installed.
Thanks C. I feel so much better having read that!
:thumb:

And the eggs? The ones the next day are probably newly hatched ones but I did not put ankle tags on them. :)
New ones hatch and need to be killed before they lay new eggs. If no other flyers land on the plant, you're done when you've killed all the ones that are going to hatch.
:nervous-guy: :thanks: Answered my question several times. Appreciate that. And @Carcass clued me in on their parthogenesis ability too. I've experienced that with amphibians and reptiles. It is an excited part of life cycles. Not so much with pests. I didn't know that aphids do that.

That's why it's called Integrated Pest Managment, and why spraying for a specific infestation can take up to three weeks of recurrent spraying depending on the life-cycle of the target insect.

That one felt like a jab. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I was thinking about your aphids yesterday and this morning. I couldn't figure out why the 2:9 wouldn't work on all of them AND the eggs. Surprisingly, I knew about eggs! I smoked some Trainwreck this morning and got to my tent and did some watering. I hope Mrs. Shed and the fam enjoy this one BTW! Excited to see your TW get to harvest. I think you mentioned she has enjoyed that one in the past right? I definitely need to grow this one and have a stash of this. Very enjoyable.

So back to the 2:9 spray. Sorry. A little stoned and distracted.

What if you tried adding micronized diatomaceous earth to the spray. If the alcohol evaporates too quickly and does not break through the egg casing, then maybe the DE will dry them out?! I'm thinking of something that knocks them dead. Right out of the gate, multiple generations massacred.

I don't know. It seems like a good idea in theory but I have not tried it either. I have some roses that have been getting hammered by aphids. I could give that a go and see if it works. I should have some time later this afternoon. I'll try my best to document it. Just trying to help is all. Take care.

Not so much with pests.
I'm fine when reptiles do it though!
:cheesygrinsmiley:

That one felt like a jab.
Nah, sorry!
I couldn't figure out why the 2:9 wouldn't work on all of them AND the eggs. Surprisingly, I knew about eggs!
I would imagine the egg casings are less prone to dehydration from the alcohol. Even Safers doesn't work on eggs as I recall.
What if you tried adding micronized diatomaceous earth to the spray. If the alcohol evaporates too quickly and does not break through the egg casing, then maybe the DE will dry them out?! I'm thinking of something that knocks them dead. Right out of the gate, multiple generations massacred.
I actually tested DE spray a few months back (bottom of this post) and have used it on the undersides of my lemon trees in more places using 5Tbs DE in 54 oz of water and 1/8tsp yucca extract.

I haven't tested it on aphids yet because it makes a mess and is tough to keep off the tops of the leaves, blocking photosynthesis. It's a work in progress.
It seems like a good idea in theory but I have not tried it either.
Give it a go...more testing is better!
I'll try my best to document it. Just trying to help is all.

Thank you Carmen. No ants on my desk and hardly any in the garden! I guess they're not fond of turf. ;)
I was thinking out loud sorry. I saw ants walking around the edge of my grow bag. I do have an ant problem that I need to deal with. Unfortunately I only know one way to get rid of ants and that is bait traps. I was teasing about nuking the aphids... I know you are running tests :cheesygrinsmiley:

Tuesday update...fewer aphids and a little bit more!

Here are the stems before the 5th spray with 2:9 iso:water this morning:

Fewer and fewer!

And in non-aphid news, here is proof of life on the Summer Grow:

Trainwreck from @Weed Seeds Express on the left, Purple Urkle on the right. I'm still getting used to watering soil vs ProMix, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I so wish I could get these in the tent to up the growth rate, but the freakin' STS Sour G is still putting out pollen sacs (flip day 55!) so It has to remain isolated. I may just pick off anything remotely green, spray it down (which I do every morning), stick it in the shed with the Jack Herer (flip day 37) and the Candida (no pistils, flip day 9) and hope it's done. :hmmmm:

Quotes:

Every day in every way, they're getting deader and deader. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks Jon! Persistence is key.

Thank you Bill. I hope it was a good weekend for you and yours.

Glad to help GDB!

As I mentioned above, eggs.

:thanks: Carcass! That's how they populate the plants in the garden, and the cuttings on the desk come with bugs already installed.

Looks like you’re just as good at watering soil, they look great. You don’t top do you?

Aphid update with this morning's pics just before the 6th day of spraying:

Very few larger ones but still some smaller ones, which means that the eggs are hatching and I'm getting them before they have a chance to eat and grow.

I mentioned that I was going to do a 7 day trial so we still have two more sprayings to go...we'll see!

Didn't have a chance to take any other pics this morning because the roofers were fixing a hole in the garage peak. Thanks for stopping by just for bug pics though. :ciao:

Quotes:
I only know one way to get rid of ants and that is bait traps.
A line of diatomaceous earth will do it as well. If you don't want to leave the dust around you can mix it with water in a spray bottle and lay down a stripe. When it dries it should work just as well.
Seems like just yesterday you were on page 600.
LOL welcome back for a minute Age!
Well that’s good to hear.
It is indeed if you have the patience to spray every day!
I’ve never used ProMix. How is the watering different?
ProMix starts off lighter and dries out faster, so I'm used to the weight/frequency of dry ProMix more than dry soil. I think I was waiting too long between watering because dry soil weighs more than dry ProMix.
Looks like you’re just as good at watering soil, they look great. You don’t top do you?
I might be finally getting the hang of it, so maybe I can keep the summer grow happier from now on! And I always top these days, usually above the 8th node. I have no idea how many these have so I should get in there and count (including the ones I took off at transplant).
Looks like the party is over for the aphids , Good job !
Thanks sb!

Back
Top Bottom