InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Cool, Shed! I liked a Bubba Kush plant so much that after harvest and heavy pruning, I had to roll the geopot on the ground to loosen the roots' grip, pulled it off and cut the ball way down and cored it a bit, and revegged it in fresh coco on to flower. A lot of work but the buds from that girl were superb.
Stay stoneder
A little encouragement, nice!
Does anyone here play a piccolo? :rofl:

Nice roots Shed!
Only nose flute.

10-4 on 11.6 Wowza that's a nice TrainWreck!

Way to go my friend, great harvest.
Can't wait to do another round, hopefully after Thanksgiving.

Great harvest Shed, all the best!
Thanks Stunger!
Great haul and niiice buds.
Thank you Carmen!
I am watching developments closely
Uh oh...pressure. :)
Nice Haul Shed! I hope you get a great smoke report from both of them!
Me too,
Thanks Boo!
Only nose flute.
So I hear. :thumb:
10-4 on 11.6 Wowza that's a nice TrainWreck!
I know right? I had a feeling it was coming in heavy when the tops would bonk me in the forehead as I schlepped.
Those Big ass buds put the weight on ! Very Nice !
Thanks sb! A whole lotta dense.
Way to go my friend, great harvest.
Can't wait to do another round, hopefully after Thanksgiving.
Thank you gr8, I'm hoping to get something going around the same time!

Anyone in the mood for an oil-making pictorial for the Monday update? Anyone? 🦗

Well I'm going to plow ahead anyway with many pics of the process!

I ran out of CBD oil last week (which I make with my Candida), so it was time to whip up another batch. This is my process, which works just as well for making THC oil. I use a Magical Butter machine (MB), and though they're not a sponsor here anymore, I still highly recommend one if you will be doing this often.

If you just need occasional small batches, you can do that in a jar in the oven (a few pics down in this post), or a crock pot with a good temperature control. Some folks use the instantpot but I don't have one. If you want to see that process it's here.

Also, note in advance that I use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Sue always taught us the EVOO is for medical uses and coconut oil (or butter) is for recreational...not that there are recreational uses for CBD!

Let's get started. First up is to measure out the flowers to be decarbed. I wanted to end up with about 50g so I went with 55g:

Some of that weight is moisture so it will be lighter when decarb is done. Speaking of decarb, I set the oven for 240ºF (116ºC):

While it was heating up, I put the flowers in a foil pouch:

I don't completely seal it because I want the moisture to escape, but it's a trade off between that and terpene retention.

And when the oven hits temp, in goes the pouch:

I do 90 minutes to allow the buds inside the foil to reach temp and stay there for about an hour. While that's cooking I get the MB machine ready, starting with 16 ounces of EVOO:

In it goes:

That's the minimum you can make in the MB so for smaller batches, see above!

When the buds are done, the pouch goes in the fridge for a quick cool down to allow the terps to settle back into the flowers (allegedly). Then they go into the MB:

Where they just sit on top! That's no good, so grab an implement:

And start smashing the buds into the oil. The more bud there is the more smashing needs to be done:

That's better! Then the top goes on the MB where time and temperature is set:

If you are running this in the oven, grind your flowers after decarb and get as close to 160º as you can (my oven starts at 170ºF) and shake periodically. The MB machine has a spinning blade at the bottom so it grinds and mixes in the oil every so often.

After 8 hours, the machine goes off (or the jar comes out of the oven) and I let it sit for 24 hours. Why? I'm doing a loose approximation of what @Derbybud described here. Short but interesting read!

After a 24 hour rest it gets another 8 hour run as before.

As soon as it's done (and well before it cools), it's time to mix in the Liquid Sunflower Lecithin (LSL). It's mixed at 1 tablespoon/cup of oil and it's very thick, so it will really only mix while the oil is hot:

LSL is an emulsifier that evenly distributes the cannabinoids throughout the oil and increases their availability to the body. And why after infusion? Because @Cannasavvy ran tests adding it before and after, and after was much better. Her posts on it start here.

Now, let's go back and get the oil from the MB. The grinding throws bits of plant up the sides, so a flexible spatula will push it all back in:

Then I pour it through the included straining bag, twist it closed, and use the silicone heat-proof glove to squeeze the oil out of the mash

If you really want to get as much as possible, you can use a homemade press like this for extra squeezing (this mash was in cheesecloth):

full

Here is the mash after I got as much oil out as I could:

I guess you could find a use for it (apparently you can put small amounts of oil in a compost pile), and Sue used to actually use her THC mash when she cooked brownies!

Anyway, here is the oil after stirring:

There is still plant matter in the oil that makes it through the mesh (from all the grinding), which you could re-filter through a tighter mesh if it matters. This oil is going into 1ml capsules so it's not a concern.

It gets covered and put in the fridge overnight for the LSL to work its magic, and here it was this morning, transferred into a jar for longer-term fridge storage:

I have 4 bottles of oil in the fridge so labeling is important.

By my rough calculations, this oil should be around 13.7mg CBD/ml, and I use @Oldbear's spreadsheet to run my numbers. PM me if you're interested in how that's done.

That's it for me today. I hope it's helpful even if you don't have a Magical Butter machine!

:thanks: for stopping by.

I ran out of CBD oil last week (which I make with my Candida), so it was time to whip up another batch. This is my process, which works just as well for making THC oil. I use a Magical Butter machine (MB), and though they're not a sponsor here anymore, I still highly recommend one if you will be doing this often.

If you just need occasional small batches, you can do that in a jar in the oven (a few pics down in this post), or a crock pot with a good temperature control. Some folks use the instantpot but I don't have one. If you want to see that process it's here.

Also, note in advance that I use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Sue always taught us the EVOO is for medical uses and coconut oil (or butter) is for recreational...not that there are recreational uses for CBD!

Let's get started. First up is to measure out the flowers to be decarbed. I wanted to end up with about 50g so I went with 55g:

Some of that weight is moisture so it will be lighter when decarb is done. Speaking of decarb, I set the oven for 240ºF (116ºC):

I don't completely seal it because I want the moisture to escape, but it's a trade off between that and terpene retention.

I do 90 minutes to allow the buds inside the foil to reach temp and stay there for about an hour. While that's cooking I get the MB machine ready, starting with 16 ounces of EVOO:

In it goes:

When the buds are done, the pouch goes in the fridge for a quick cool down to allow the terps to settle back into the flowers (allegedly). Then they go into the MB:

And start smashing the buds into the oil. The more bud there is the more smashing needs to be done:

If you are running this in the oven, grind your flowers after decarb and get as close to 160º as you can (my oven starts at 170ºF) and shake periodically. The MB machine has a spinning blade at the bottom so it grinds and mixes in the oil every so often.

After 8 hours, the machine goes off (or the jar comes out of the oven) and I let it sit for 24 hours. Why? I'm doing a loose approximation of what @Derbybud described here. Short but interesting read!

As soon as it's done (and well before it cools), it's time to mix in the Liquid Sunflower Lecithin (LSL). It's mixed at 1 tablespoon/cup of oil and it's very thick, so it will really only mix while the oil is hot:

LSL is an emulsifier that evenly distributes the cannabinoids throughout the oil and increases their availability to the body. And why after infusion? Because @Cannasavvy ran tests adding it before and after, and after was much better. Her posts on it start here.

Now, let's go back and get the oil from the MB. The grinding throws bits of plant up the sides, so a flexible spatula will push it all back in:

Then I pour it through the included straining bag, twist it closed, and use the silicone heat-proof glove to squeeze the oil out of the mash

If you really want to get as much as possible, you can use a homemade press like this for extra squeezing (this mash was in cheesecloth):

full

I guess you could find a use for it (apparently you can put small amounts of oil in a compost pile), and Sue used to actually use her THC mash when she cooked brownies!

There is still plant matter in the oil that makes it through the mesh (from all the grinding), which you could re-filter through a tighter mesh if it matters. This oil is going into 1ml capsules so it's not a concern.

It gets covered and put in the fridge overnight for the LSL to work its magic, and here it was this morning, transferred into a jar for longer-term fridge storage:

By my rough calculations, this oil should be around 13.7mg CBD/ml oil, and I use @Oldbear's spreadsheet to run my numbers. PM me if you're interested in how that's done.

That's it for me today. I hope it's helpful even if you don't have a Magical Butter machine!

Hey Shed did that guy say retired or did I read it wrong. CL🍀

In it goes:

full

By my rough calculations, this oil should be around 13.7mg CBD/ml oil, and I use @Oldbear's spreadsheet to run my numbers. PM me if you're interested in how that's done.

Bookmarked! Thank you for the awesome tutorial!

Turns out he's pretty reasonable actually. We had an informative back and forth in the bud wash thread that Otter posted.

:thanks: Rex. I'm here for questions too!
Cool I guess I must’ve skipped ahead some. In that case lo siento, perdon. CL🍀

Highya ITS,

Great tutorial. Great pistures, too! You have such a logical mind to present like that. Good Job! I love the simple c-clamp press you made! I used to use just my hands after it cooled. I'm sure that works much better, lol! Happy Smokin'

Cool I guess I must’ve skipped ahead some. In that case lo siento, perdon. CL
It's right at the end of that journal!
Nice demo Shed. I’ve noticed some recipes online adding the LSL into the machine with the bud and the oil and it seemEd kind of wasteful so I’ve not done it….now I’m glad I haven’t! I love my MBM and they were having a sale last week. I got one for my daughter at $50 off plus free shipping!
Thanks Boo, and great news on the great deal on the Magical Butter machine for your daughter! She's gonna love it just like her mom. :)

And LSL always after infusion. Tests prove it!
Great tutorial. Great pistures, too! You have such a logical mind to present like that. Good Job! I love the simple c-clamp press you made! I used to use just my hands after it cooled. I'm sure that works much better, lol! Happy Smokin'
Thank you Bode! I find my grip strength much weaker than it used to be (too much time on the keyboard here?) and when I tried using a potato ricer I actually bent the handle trying to mash the mash. If getting every last drop was really important to me I would use the clamps and wood every time I made oil.
Thanks Shed!!
Greatly appreciated tutorial!
Glad to help where I can. Thanks NTH!

Anyone in the mood for an oil-making pictorial for the Monday update?
I didn't think I was, till I started reading... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Well done , Shed- Great tutorial, and it's good to know about that 24 hour wait thing- I usually let it sit overnight, but I'll start giving it an extra day.
I'm out of thc oil, so I'll be making some soon.

Damn you’re fast I couldn’t even correct what I meant to say. lol CL
LOL, sorry!
I didn't think I was, till I started reading...
Har! Glad I could reel you in. 🎣
Well done , Shed- Great tutorial, and it's good to know about that 24 hour wait thing- I usually let it sit overnight, but I'll start giving it an extra day. I'm out of thc oil, so I'll be making some soon.
Thanks Carcass! If have time and room in the a fridge, you could try to duplicate Derby's "method" and see if you can duplicate his results.

Back
Top Bottom