InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Monday Tuesday Wednesday update of the Summer grow! Here we are on day 65 above ground and flip day 5 of the 5 Killer Cookies, so I thought I'd take some pics and we can see where we are.

Starting with the sad Grandpa's Moonshine:

Growth has stalled as has water uptake, so Friday I'll be carefully sliding it out of the SIP, seeing what the roots are looking like (with pics), and planting it in a 7 gallon GeoPot. I've obviously missed a step in the SIP process since no one else seems to have this issue. I'll try SIP again with another plant, and bottom-water from birth as I did with the 5 Killer Cookies.

Speaking of the 5KC, here it is, happy in its SWICK on flip day 5:

And it's grown 3" in 5 days!

I'm thinking of waiting for pistils before adding the Big Data flowering nutes to the Prescription Blend regimin if anyone has any thoughts on that. It's still drinking just under a gallon a day.

That's it from me today, and I hope your weekend was sunny, fun, and spent mostly with folks you enjoy! :thumb:

Quotes:
Yeah, Kia has a great base warranty and you get a lot of car for the money.
Good info, thanks Mr. K! I hope he never needs that warranty. :)
Brother Shed, plants are looking great and I was catching up and caught your SIP tutorial a few weeks back. Very nice job!
Thank you kindly sir. I think I built it right but that's about all. :rolleyes:
Like you said, everyone has a different way of doing things, so you may already be aware of these couple of tips, but in case it helps anyone...
First, instead of the duct tape, I used to use some plastic spray paint and just give it a couple of quick coats on the outside. It takes a lot less time than wrapping the bucket but I haven't done any cost comparisons and I don't know how many 5-gallon buckets you'd be able to cover with a can.
Duct tape is pretty cheap, somewhat reflective, and is a lot easier to work with then spray paint! Between laying out the newspaper, having it blow around in the wind, getting rocks to hold it down, having the wind blow the paint back in my face, realizing one of the rocks wasn't big enough and some of the newspaper blew into the wet paint on the bucket, going to get a bigger rock and respray where the paper stuck, I feel like duct tape was the better way to go. :cheesygrinsmiley:

That said, I did spray my Cloninator® bucket but I recall it took a couple of coats and most of a can.
Next, I'm not sure what type of cement you were using to attach/seal but, when I was doing hydro, my preferred way was using fish tank sealant which won't leach any toxic chemicals into the medium.
I used this:
Untitled.jpg

and I have no idea what if anything leaches into the soil. I'm also in a plastic non-food-grade bucket so there's that!
Thanks Nick. Didn't have any, don't have an aquarium!
I have 4 orange 5 gal buckets that I painted black with plastic spray paint. I found that it doesn't adhere well and scratches off easily. At first I thought it may be left over mold release on the plastic that was keeping it from bonding. I wiped everything down well with rubbing alcohol and tried again. Didn't make a difference. Ended up ordering a 10 pack of black buckets from the same store I got the orange "Homer" buckets since they don't carry the black ones in their stores. The cost was cheaper ordering the black ones than paining the orange ones. I think I only got a bucket and a half out of a can of paint.
That sounds about right, and I would have to go with white paint or white buckets if I was making a career of this. ;)

I have 4 orange 5 gal buckets that I painted black with plastic spray paint. I found that it doesn't adhere well and scratches off easily. At first I thought it may be left over mold release on the plastic that was keeping it from bonding. I wiped everything down well with rubbing alcohol and tried again. Didn't make a difference. Ended up ordering a 10 pack of black buckets from the same store I got the orange "Homer" buckets since they don't carry the black ones in their stores. The cost was cheaper ordering the black ones than painting the orange ones. I think I only got a bucket and a half out of a can of paint.
Did you try sanding the surface if your not using a primer?

That's messed up that your Grandpa is a codger! Good that you have the 5KC showing lots of love!

(Did you ever consider adding some aloe vera to her feed. I'm not sure why that's what popped into the old Benz Diesel, but it did.) :Rasta:

Did you try sanding the surface if your not using a primer?

I didn't go any further since the cost of the orange bucket plus paint was more than the cost of a black bucket. I did the 4 orange ones at first to test Gro Buckets inserts. I bought a 10 pack of the Gro Buckets so I still needed 6 more 5 gal buckets. So I just bought a 10 pack of black buckets to go with them.

Monday Tuesday Wednesday
Groundhogday....

Ok, I see you drifted in to more crazy like growing projects now and what sparks my crazy mind is how many rolls of ductape did this pot contraption eat? Any leaks? Ductape would probably not be my first go-to tape for this.... 😛 what's the idea here? More weed?

Plant looks awesome either way, like always in-das-shed...

btw my bonus daughter's birthday is 4th of July and I just got to bonus gramps.... 🙄

That's messed up that your Grandpa is a codger! Good that you have the 5KC showing lots of love!
Thanks GDB, I do take consolation in the 5KC!
(Did you ever consider adding some aloe vera to her feed. I'm not sure why that's what popped into the old Benz Diesel, but it did.)
I haven't and I don't have any (I do have yucca extract though). What does the BD tell you it would do for Grandpa?
I didn't go any further since the cost of the orange bucket plus paint was more than the cost of a black bucket. I did the 4 orange ones at first to test Gro Buckets inserts. I bought a 10 pack of the Gro Buckets so I still needed 6 more 5 gal buckets. So I just bought a 10 pack of black buckets to go with them.
That is a serious production line!
Ok, I see you drifted in to more crazy like growing projects now and what sparks my crazy mind is how many rolls of ductape did this pot contraption eat? Any leaks? Ductape would probably not be my first go-to tape for this.... what's the idea here? More weed?
More weed in less time! SIPs and SWICKs, each with their own cool threads.

I think both buckets were less than a roll with at least two times around each, and the idea is to block out light rather than keep water in...that's the bucket's job. ;)
Plant looks awesome either way, like always in-das-shed...
LOL thanks CraZy!
btw my bonus daughter's birthday is 4th of July and I just got to bonus gramp
I was unaware you had either a bonus daughter or a bonus grandchild!

I haven't and I don't have any (I do have yucca extract though). What does the BD tell you it would do for Grandpa?
Probably not much now. But earlier on it may have helped the roots grow more easily and do that adjustment thing they need to do for the SIP. But I know not what I'm talking about because I haven't grown in a SIP. :)

Oh thanks! Mighta worked early on but I think this plant is beyond the point of getting used to the SIP. Now I just hope it happys-up in the regular pot. :nervous-guy:
I hope so to. Those codgers can be so difficult for no reason! :Rasta:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday update of the Summer grow! Here we are on day 65 above ground and flip day 5 of the 5 Killer Cookies, so I thought I'd take some pics and we can see where we are.

Growth has stalled as has water uptake, so Friday I'll be carefully sliding it out of the SIP, seeing what the roots are looking like (with pics), and planting it in a 7 gallon GeoPot. I've obviously missed a step in the SIP process since no one else seems to have this issue. I'll try SIP again with another plant, and bottom-water from birth as I did with the 5 Killer Cookies.

I'm thinking of waiting for pistils before adding the Big Data flowering nutes to the Prescription Blend regimin if anyone has any thoughts on that. It's still drinking just under a gallon a day.

That's it from me today, and I hope your weekend was sunny, fun, and spent mostly with folks you enjoy! :thumb:

Quotes:

Duct tape is pretty cheap, somewhat reflective, and is a lot easier to work with then spray paint! Between laying out the newspaper, having it blow around in the wind, getting rocks to hold it down, having the wind blow the paint back in my face, realizing one of the rocks wasn't big enough and some of the newspaper blew into the wet paint on the bucket, going to get a bigger rock and respray where the paper stuck, I feel like duct tape was the better way to go. :cheesygrinsmiley:

That said, I did spray my Cloninator® bucket but I recall it took a couple of coats and most of a can.

I used this:
Untitled.jpg

and I have no idea what if anything leaches into the soil. I'm also in a plastic non-food-grade bucket so there's that!

That sounds about right, and I would have to go with white paint or white buckets if I was making a career of this. ;)
ur 3 days ahead of me.

Quotes:

I used this:
Untitled.jpg

The 5KC looks awesome!
Grandpa looks like he drank way too much moonshine.

The build looked good to me, Azi too! It's a head scratcher!
Could be a few things and will be interesting to see what it looks like when he pulls it out.

Could just be strain related. Could be mechanical like the distance of the air hole from the top of the reservoir void, or an issue with the overflow hole not functioning properly. Could be the soil mix.

But, whatever it is that plant just never looked happy.

:(

The build looked good to me, Azi too! It's a head scratcher!
Looked perfect to me- I even changed mine to match, because
I initially installed the drain tube wrong...
I hope the transplant reveals something, but I sure don't know what it might be...🤔

Greetings of a Thursday folks! I just wanted to drop this pic here:

(Sharpie for reference)

I continually take off larf from before flip until about midway into flower! That's what came off this morning, as I am #nolarf!

Quotes:
Good luck figuring that one! The build looked good to me, Azi too! It's a head scratcher!
Thanks Otter! I'm pretty sure it was the transition I messed up rather than the build. I hope the roots tell us something, and if not, I hope it likes a traditional pot better!
5KC is lookin fab, nice stretch action! And ol grandpa... I’m sure you’ll have him her turned in the right direction again real soon.
Thanks double H! We'll see. :nomo:
Could be a few things and will be interesting to see what it looks like when he pulls it out.
Could just be strain related. Could be mechanical like the distance of the air hole from the top of the reservoir void, or an issue with the overflow hole not functioning properly. Could be the soil mix.
But, whatever it is that plant just never looked happy.
I'll try to get it out with the rootball intact, but with the res and wicking foot down the side I'm not sure how easy that's going to be. I know the overflow hole works and the bottom edge is a little over an inch from the top of the res, but I really don't know what turned it from happy to sad within a few days.
Looked perfect to me- I even changed mine to match, because
I initially installed the drain tube wrong...
I hope the transplant reveals something, but I sure don't know what it might be...
Thank you Carcass, I was pretty confident going in with the mechanicals!

Greetings of a Thursday folks! I just wanted to drop this pic here:

(Sharpie for reference)

I continually take off larf from before flip until about midway into flower! That's what came off this morning, as I am #nolarf!

Quotes:

Thanks Otter! I'm pretty sure it was the transition I messed up rather than the build. I hope the roots tell us something, and if not, I hope it likes a traditional pot better!

Thanks double H! We'll see. :nomo:

I'll try to get it out with the rootball intact, but with the res and wicking foot down the side I'm not sure how easy that's going to be. I know the overflow hole works and the bottom edge is a little over an inch from the top of the res, but I really don't know what turned it from happy to sad within a few days.

Thank you Carcass, I was pretty confident going in with the mechanicals!
Yer ‘avin a laff ain’t you, Mr Shed? Get them plants up the apples and pears without the trouble and strife ‘avin to help you out this time, savvy?

Nick

Back
Top Bottom