Let's Find a Mother! Hiking Through a Field of Mary Jane

Nice sig Vicky. Not many people know.ignore mention Greg green. His grow Bible is my daily reading on he crapper lol. Love green candy press.

Thanks buddy,

Yeah he knows his shiz!
Great crapper material!
:thumb:

Looking really good hiker!
Love following your progress setting up the new rooms.
Thanks for the reps too brother.
here's some in return!
:cheesygrinsmiley:

Not too sure on your veg plants mate as I'm not familiar with them systems. But your grow is awesome and I'm really intrigued to see how they bounce back and how long it takes.

She will come back with a vengeance. That's perfect by some standards. I'm a wimp so I don't go TOO heavy. But she will be just fine.

Not too sure on your veg plants mate as I'm not familiar with them systems. But your grow is awesome and I'm really intrigued to see how they bounce back and how long it takes.

She will come back with a vengeance. That's perfect by some standards. I'm a wimp so I don't go TOO heavy. But she will be just fine.

Thanks for the replies. I know she/they will come back with a vengeance! I only poked my head in briefly last night, but they all looked fine. The remaining leaves are already growing larger very quickly. As I predicted, you won't be able to tell there was any defoliation at all in another day, two at most.

I'm eager to flip to 12/12. It will happen either tonight or tomorrow. I'll be taking some clones at that time as well. I'm going to use the method I'm familiar with, except I'm trying rapid rooters instead of small rockwool cubes.

I've decided to also build an aero cloner. I want more clones than I have rapid rooter plugs, or space in my little trays. Since I've wanted to try one of these aero cloners since I first saw them, I'm just gonna do it now. I really like the idea of not needing any materials at all to take clones. Cut 'em, slice the stems, pop 'em into the cloner, and wait. Easy! I'll be sure to take lots of pictures to document my construction of the cloner. I'm using a Rubbermaid Roughneck Tote. I will buy another pump to use, but I have a couple I could temporarily assign to the cloner. The only things I'm unsure about is which sprayers to use and how many, and how big of a pump do I need?

Anyone built one and have some advice or tips?

Ill find the tutorial. But 300-400gph will do just great in the cloned. I think most use 365 gph. You'll want a sprayer.under each cut or place between each 2. Google DIY aerocloner and u can have your pic of designs. I was always a fan of stinkbuds personally.
Its built using the easy cloned sprayers and some PVC in a roughneck tote

Thanks CS. I already posted on that thread :)
That's the thread that spawned the idea to build one!

I can't use a sprayer for each cut. I'm planning to put ~50 holes in the lid. I was thinking a dozen or so. It will depend on how many sprayers come in a bag. If there are 10 in a bag, I might use 20, if it's 12 per bag, maybe 12 or 24. :Namaste:

I worked on the veg/clone area last night. I got all 3 shop lights setup for a whoppin total of 240W! :laughtwo:

I topped about 6 of the plants also. I had 2 runt seedlings. When I was transplanting them to buckets, I almost threw out these 2 runts, but instead decided to put them into a bucket together. I should have left them separate as they have both recovered and are growing well. One of them is a White Widow that was trying to crowd out the Cheese Bomb. Since I already have 2 big White Widow plants, and only one other small Cheese Bomb, I pruned the WW back a lot to give the Cheese Bomb more room.

I'll take some clones tonight. This will further top the plants and hopefully increase branching. I soaked the rapid rooters and small rockwools in RO with a very mild nute mix. I wanted to build an aerocloner and use that, but I've changed my mind. I'm still building a cloner, but I'm going to do my first batch of clones the way I'm familiar with. Also, none of these clones will be going back into buckets. They will either end up mothers or in the compost pile. Since their going into 'soil', I don't mind having the plugs. One of the appeals of the aero cloner is not needing any rapid rooters or rockwool.

I need to modify my ventilation in the flowering room. I increased the temps in the basement a little in anticipation of having clones soon. As a result, the temps in the flowering room went up. I was able to compensate by turning up the fan speed, but I don't like how sensitive it is. I'd prefer to seal the room, but I can't afford to add CO2 or AC right now. I have some ideas of changes I can make to improve ventilation in the room. I'm just reluctant to spend time and $$, when I know it will be changing again after this harvest. I'm also reluctant because my idea involves modifying the home's ducting so I can vent into the house in Winter, but divert the air into the crawlspace in Summer. This sounds great in theory, but I'm going to need AC by Summer anyway. I'm still unsure which path I will pursue. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I apologize that lately I've been using this journal as a place to record whatever random thoughts I'm having about the grow room. I'm one of those over analytical types trying to stay 2 steps ahead. I've already worked out several details of how I'll construct the second flowering room, and that's months away! Thanks for following along. It will get more interesting after next week when I start flowering.

Flowering time :party:
Yes please do, we all in veg at the min, most anyway. looks like we all finished for xmas and fresh start to a new year. There will be flowers all over 420 next month!!

Whatcha wanting to know for the ducting? I'm ur Guy there.
Why not put a valve in each outlet of you t where you tie into the Home system ? Have one run to the crawlspace or out the dryer vent u can open in summer. Close it in winter and open the path to the home system. Save a few on heating in the winter

As for the a/c I don't see u getting away without one regardless of whether u seal and gas or go negative pressure. Once the rooms are in place and filled. U have the advantage of being underground but I honestly don't see it sufficient on a jot day. I could be wrong. I'd look at a ductless unit then u can cool regardless of whether ur gassing or not.

When are u flipping? I've been up the better part of 12 hours already re arranging the garden getting things ready. I am officially ready to flip just waiting on you man! Lol. I'm fighting the urge to flip them right now. Was planning on Friday. But they look so good and ready its hard to resist lol.

Just did an update, swing through

Flowering time :party:
Yes please do, we all in veg at the min, most anyway. looks like we all finished for xmas and fresh start to a new year. There will be flowers all over 420 next month!!

I wish I just finished a crop at xmas! I'm pretty much ready to flip them. They are bushes already, but I just topped a few last night and will be taking clones when they wake up any minute. I want to give them a little time to recover from that, but we'll see how long I can hold out.

Whatcha wanting to know for the ducting? I'm ur Guy there.
Why not put a valve in each outlet of you t where you tie into the Home system ? Have one run to the crawlspace or out the dryer vent u can open in summer. Close it in winter and open the path to the home system. Save a few on heating in the winter

As for the a/c I don't see u getting away without one regardless of whether u seal and gas or go negative pressure. Once the rooms are in place and filled. U have the advantage of being underground but I honestly don't see it sufficient on a jot day. I could be wrong. I'd look at a ductless unit then u can cool regardless of whether ur gassing or not.

When are u flipping? I've been up the better part of 12 hours already re arranging the garden getting things ready. I am officially ready to flip just waiting on you man! Lol. I'm fighting the urge to flip them right now. Was planning on Friday. But they look so good and ready its hard to resist lol.

Just did an update, swing through

I'm working through all my subscriptions, I didn't realize how many I had until I got busy and didn't check most of them for a day! I'll go check our your journal to see the update. Don't wait for me! I am easily distracted! haha I'm not sure when I am flipping. My plan was to flip this weekend, but then I wanted to try and flip earlier. Everyday I think maybe tomorrow. Well it's almost the weekend now, and I am considering delaying a few more days. After topping and cloning, I want to give them a few days to respond to that before I flip. Sorry to make you wait! lol

Being underground certainly helps, but it definitely is not going to cool 3 750W HPS! I can't afford to buy an AC right now though. That, and more buckets, are on the top of the list of things to purchase with proceeds from this first harvest. I have small, 5200 BTU, window AC, but I don't think that's going to be big enough. I'll just have to make use of the cold air for another few months. I'm trying to avoid doing anything now that I'll just have to undo when I add AC.

I'm probably going to move ahead with the plan I outlined before, adding an active intake and leave the exhaust running 24/7. There are 3 goals: filter the intake (just a furnace filter, not carbon), be light tight, and restrict the intake enough that the main fan to run all the time without making the room too cold at night. Then I will add an intake fan on a thermostat. When the intake fan kicks on, that should allow the exhaust fan to move it's max cfm (not max rated cfm, max for this application). I'm unsure what size intake I need though. The exhaust fan moves less air than I anticipated, so I want to avoid making that mistake twice. The intake will have much less resistance though. The resistance will be from the filter and all the air trying to cram itself into whatever size fan I buy. Then the intake fan is off, the exhaust fan should be pulling some air through the idle intake fan.

My TD-200S is only a 450ish CFM rated fan. With an 8" exhaust, that is pushing against a lot of resistance, I suspect a 6" intake would be plenty. What do you think?

I just could'nt resist the flip a couple nights ago. I had to do it.

Grats! I thought I would already have flipped by now too, but I want to take clones before I start flowering.

I'm heading downstairs to take some clones now.

Oh yeah a 6 will handle it for sure. Sounds like u are running the same vent setup as I am (or ur planning to) I use 6" exhaust and 4" intake. The passive works great when the fan is idle. The intake never turns on in winter unless a fan fails but that should work beautifully for you for.the moment.

I cant handle the wait. I'm flipping tomorrow lol.
Keep in mind the longer u wait the more likely you are to deal with higher temps at the end of flower. And the longer u wait til u can offload Harvest. :)

Thanks for confirming that I'm on the right track with my ventilation CS :)
The drag is it will all change once I add AC.

I realize temps will keep going up, but I think I'll be OK through April. It doesn't really warm up here until June. I have to start thinking about how to add the AC as well. Ductless or MiniSplit? How big? I'm leaning towards a mini split. I'd get a larger compressor for outside, then put a condenser in each flowering room. If I get the right compressor, I might be able to then add AC to the central heating system of the house. Obviously after I'm done growing. I'm leaning towards the portable units, but they take up a lot of room. Maybe I can put it outside and just blow the cold air into the flowering room? The only time I've used them was when the AC died in the building I was working in, and we had to put 2 portable AC units in our server room. They were barely able to keep the temps down, and still not as low as we wanted. The easiest route would be to seal both flowering rooms, and just put a window/wall AC in both of them. The AC units will heat up the rest of the basement, but I can just vent that. I kind of like this solution as it will provide the best option for odor control. The downside is the noise from the AC units. Those things have a distinct sound, and it would be hard to explain why it was coming from the basement. Perhaps I could lessen the sound somehow.

Anyway... I didn't take clones last night. I ended working on the day job until almost 9PM. I was tired and didn't want to start something like that so late. All I did in the basement was mix up a new batch of bennie tea. I don't have to work tomorrow, so tonight it's clone time!

If it were me I wouldn't go below 24000 BTU overkill is always best though. Check out   Ideal Air | Commercial Grade Air Conditioning Products
they have some.great products. The 13seer minisplit with the luxpro thermostat would allow you 4 different temp cycles a day. They also offer standing units with 2-4 ports that can be ducted from a remote common area into each chamber. I'd lie half their catalog myself lol. But they are made for the DIY er. Vacuumed charged and quick connect ready from the factory. No involving a pro. Check em out man. A 24000 BTU with a luxpro would run ya about 1900 total.

Their commercial portables are awesome but cost more than mini splits (3795 for the 29000 BTU 3 port system) but offer endless possibilities.

I'd go with the mini split if it were me as it offers u more flexibility with c02 but there's a clear advantage to the portable.as well

U want a minimum of about 4kbtu per 1000w of light. Keep in mind the other accessories that will provide heat as well not just lights. Give urself a 25% excess and u should be great on even the hottest of days.

They also make a 15seer inverter heat pump. Same deal but offers heat and AC. That with the luxpro is like my dream setup Haha. But for it at 24000btu would.run about 2550 with luxpro and 3350 for a 36000 BTU. Both include a 23' line set and operates in temps from 5-105 Fahrenheit

At 52 DB they're not the quietest on the market but they're efficient as all get out and have many options and features u wont find on Amy other brand. The luxpro tstat is my favorite gadget of theirs. Installed systems a many for people over the years and I always LOVED playing with the thermostat.

Thanks for all that info CS!

I have a few months to decide. My buddy that will be brokering for me, has a construction background, so I will pick his brain about how I should incorporate AC. I wish I had had enough capital to build out the entire basement all at once with everything I want/need!

Oh well. This basement is gonna be rocking by this time next year!

Back
Top Bottom