Light Addict Tries To Get Grafting - Target Of One Mom With 15 Strains!

Well my friend funny you should ask :)

Today on inspection we have new growth on the the donor graft! :) I'm confident and thought bugger it and took the plastic bag off of her leaving my attached point to either wilt and annoy me know end, or its going to start belting out new growth! ;)

Here are some rough pics! Up top by the leaf we have a wee shoot :)
DSC_0694-3.JPG
DSC_0689-2.JPG
DSC_069011.JPG

Sorry pics are crap lol but in the center of the last you can just make out the new growth! :)

High LA! Im really diggin this journal man! Tell the Night Addict high too!.....this is mad genius @ its best! :volcano-smiley:

Congratulations Dr. Frankenpot! It's Alive!!!!! Ok, one more thought. Again with tomatoes..they are grafting high flavor varieties which are low yielders and have disease problems onto rootstock that is high yielding with great disease resistance to yield a plant that has great flavor but is more disease resistant and higher yielding. So I was wondering if you grafted an auto variety at a very early stage in growth onto a standard rootstock if it would grow out as a photoperiodic variety. Or whether it would continue as an auto variety. My gut tells me that indeed it would begin to grow as a photoperiodic variety simply because most autos only have around 10% of the ruderalis species in their genetic back ground. Usually I tell folks to try to stay within species or mix of species as much as possible if they plan to flower the plant but this idea still intrigues me just from an experimental standpoint. I remain your respectful Igor ( And yes that is pronounced 'Eye-Gor" because I always loved Mel Brooks!). Best of luck in all you grow Dr. Frankenpot!

I dunno about the autoflower grafting since it's already has an limited life time. It might graft on but it would probably start to flower as soon as it recovered. After all we are just splicing the stem not genetically altering the plant. It's like the tomato plants you mentioned you are taking a high yielding plant and putting it on a lower yielding more pest resistant stock but the cutting bit is still the same as before just new food supply.

I dunno about the autoflower grafting since it's already has an limited life time. It might graft on but it would probably start to flower as soon as it recovered. After all we are just splicing the stem not genetically altering the plant. It's like the tomato plants you mentioned you are taking a high yielding plant and putting it on a lower yielding more pest resistant stock but the cutting bit is still the same as before just new food supply.

Oh but it is not! The scion actually takes on the growth attribute of the rootstock. I agree that you probably could not graft on a photoperiod onto an autoflower rootstock. But remember most auto flowers are only around 10 % ruderalis species. This leave 90 percent of the genetics are indica or sativa or a combination of the two. I believe that the secret would be the age of the whip or node. Remember that an auto flower still goes through a juvenile stage it's just that it is of a shorter duration before the onset of senescence. So the question becomes if a node is taken from a 2 or 3 week old auto flower would it still be an auto flower or would the effect of the rootstock take over as it does with tomatoes. Ahhh....it's the fun of the attempt. If the graft takes one of two things would happen. Either one it would grow out and just begin to flower as it matures on the plant irrespective to day lengths as an autoflower.... or....it would just begin to grow as a photoperiodic whip. Then the fun would be to allow it to grow then air layer it. See if you can get it to root. Then separate it from the plant again replant it and see if it then grows out as an auto flower. But it is something for the good Doctor to consider! Best of luck in all you grow.

I think doing an auto would be a waste tho even more since it works perfectly well with reg fem strains. Have you gave any thought to the growth rate during flowering?? After all you're going to have multiple strains flowering on one plant at once so the rate of stretch may be different as well as nutes each strain uses them in there own way. Might want to stick to similar phenotypes.

I think doing an auto would be a waste tho even more since it works perfectly well with reg fem strains. Have you gave any thought to the growth rate during flowering?? After all you're going to have multiple strains flowering on one plant at once so the rate of stretch may be different as well as nutes each strain uses them in there own way. Might want to stick to similar phenotypes.

Hey my friend, I'm only doing this for giggles and for info for others with number constraints etc. I'm just messing as its something new to me and I get bored very quickly :)
As for flowering it out lol, not really the point t as it's a momma for cloning off but... One plant with that many issues of different stretch and nutrient needs sound like a blast to me! :)
Hell I'm a bit annoyed grafting is so simple! I wanted more of a journey to be honest! I'll still get some fails I'm sure as I'll keep trying different methods, just in case and for records sake!
So yeah I like a challenge as most things nowadays are all a bit simple, so anything that seen as trouble I readily welcome :)

Hey L.A.! My thoughts on the auto flower is inline with what they experience with tomatoes. So think about it. If the very young auto nodes took and started growing and took on the attributes of the rootstock .Then because of the rootstock if they didn't immediately start flowering and you air layered them. Then you were able to remove them as new starts....voila you just came up with a method to clone autos.

And to Sparts point ...No you are not technically genetically modifiying the plant.... but the rootstock can effectively alter the entire growth habit of a plant. That is why we have dwarf and semi dwarf apples. It is also why we can adjust the ripening time and growth habits in tomatoes by selecting a rootstock that is determinate. I figure if your going to have fun with it then....Let's have as much fun a possible!!!! Kind of been the goal of my life! Best of luck in all you grow!

Hey L.A.! My thoughts on the auto flower is inline with what they experience with tomatoes. So think about it. If the very young auto nodes took and started growing and took on the attributes of the rootstock .Then because of the rootstock if they didn't immediately start flowering and you air layered them. Then you were able to remove them as new starts....voila you just came up with a method to clone autos.

And to Sparts point ...No you are not technically genetically modifiying the plant.... but the rootstock can effectively alter the entire growth habit of a plant. That is why we have dwarf and semi dwarf apples. It is also why we can adjust the ripening time and growth habits in tomatoes by selecting a rootstock that is determinate. I figure if your going to have fun with it then....Let's have as much fun a possible!!!! Kind of been the goal of my life! Best of luck in all you grow!

:bump:

Back
Top Bottom