LKABudMan Grows In Soil: White Widow, Hindu Kush, & Purple Haze Fem Photos, FFHF Soil, Sponsored By Prescription Blend

Winter storm Frida hit us hard Monday morning. We got 12" of heavy wet snow in about 4 hours along with 40mph wind gusts. We could hear trees snapping all around us and lost power at around 9am. It has now been over 3 days and we are still without power. I do have a generator and have been using it to keep the plants lit during the day. That only lasts about 12 hours, though. I have been putting two LED flashlights in the tent the rest of the time to try to keep them from flowering. Will it work? We will see.
It has been pretty cold in the basement as well, down to 50f. The plants are not drinking nearly as much but they still look ok. Hopefully we get power back soon.
On the bright side, I was able to harvest my first grow in the past couple of days. That means that as soon as I get power I can move these girls into the 4x4 and get rocking! After all of this, the 400w LED and 75+ temperature will be like a day at the beach :)
Happy Growing.
Sorry to hear about your power problemBudMan,interested to see if those flashlights do the job you intend them to(hope they do).
I just got a tent aswell,seems like a few people have treated themselves lol.

Sorry to hear about your power problemBudMan,interested to see if those flashlights do the job you intend them to(hope they do).
I just got a tent as well,seems like a few people have treated themselves lol.
I actually got the 4x4 tent first. I have been finishing my fit grow in the 4x4 as I veg in the 32x32 tent. I plan on taking some clones when I switch to flower, and they will go back into the veg tent.
Ah man hate hear that kinda stuff. Sad day there bro. Me I would cry. Be sad for like week lose my girls. Have funeral for her an cry like a baby
Hopefully I am not losing any girls. They still look good and I believe I kept them from going into flower.

Happy Growing.

Strains - Hindu Kush (Abby), Purple Haze (Jenny), and White Widow (Betty) - All fem and photo
Light height and reading - 400w LED @ 60% 24 Inches away - 25-30k LUX
Medium - Fox Farms Happy Frog & Ocean Forest + 10% perlite in 5gal cloth pots
Nutrients - @Prescription Blend
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm)
Grow space - 48x48x80 tent in basement
Extraction - Vivosun 6" Variable Speed Extraction fan
2 Oscillating fans + 1 Tower oscillating fan
Weekly temperatures

These girls have had quite the week. We lost power on Monday morning and it was out for about 100 hours. We got power back on Friday afternoon. Fortuately I was able to keep the lights on most of the time supplemented with LED flashlights. Hopefully it will keep them from going into flower, at least for a few more weeks. The temperatures were pretty low and humidity high. They did not drink as much as usual.

The plants came through pretty good and really filled up the veg tent.

I purchased more soil to uppot to 5 gallon cloth pots and went with the Ocean Forest soil this time. I mixed it up with the rest of the Happy Frog, more perlite, and some worm castings with the new soil. Then I mixed in some boiling water and let it steam for a while to make sure there are no bugs/eggs living in it.

I used this new soil to move all three of the plants into 5 gallon cloth pots, their final container. I had never seen a root ball from a cloth pot. I expected the standard root ball with roots wrapped around the outside. Instead there were no visible roots on the outside. At least until you brushed off the outside layer. Then you see that there are fine roots running through the entire root ball all the way up to within a 1/2" or the top. I put a bit of Dynomyco in the root hole as well.

I was able to finish my first grow so I moved these girls into the larger 4x4 tent under the 400w LED. With the additional room I was able to do a bit more LST. I am going to try to fill up the 4x4 tent with these three plants so I need to get them evened out and stretched out as much as possible. I got them spread out pretty well, with two accidents. I broke a main stem on Jenny but was able to get it taped up quickly. I also broke off the apical stem on Betty, who was only going to be LST'd. Oops. They look ugly right now with their fresh LST. They will be looking much better by tomorrow, though.

Happy Growing.

Strains - Hindu Kush (Abby), Purple Haze (Jenny), and White Widow (Betty) - All fem and photo
Light height and reading - 400w LED @ 60% 24 Inches away - 25-30k LUX
Grow space - 48x48x80 tent in basement
2 Oscillating fans + 1 Tower oscillating fan
Weekly temperatures

Since repotting last weekend these girls have been ignored. The temps are OK if a little low, but the humidity is way too low. I will try to raise the humidity a bit more in the tent.

All of the girls were dry today. When I repotted on Sunday I did not have any water at room temperature. Instead, I fed them each 2L of nutrients when repotting (with moist soil). It was not enough. When I checked them today, you could see where the root ball was not entirely seated in the new soil. Betty was still looking OK, but Abby & Jenny were really droopy and sad.

I gave them all a good watering, with 5L each well water. I also filled in a bit more soil and watered it in place to make sure they were plenty full. They were already looking a bit better when they went back into the tent.

Since Abby and Jenny were so droopy I just watered them. Betty also got a bit more LST and a bit of defoliation to expose the middle. Hopefully these girls will all take off with the fresh watering and fill up this tent in the next week.

Happy Growing.

Date: 1/18/22
Light height and reading - 400w LED @ 100% 24 Inches away - 25-30k LUX
Grow space - Vivosun 8x48x80 tent in basement
2 Oscillating fans + 1 Tower oscillating fan + 1 12" floor fan
Weekly temperatures

These girls have been through a lot in the past couple of weeks; a 4 day power outage that was very cool and humid, re-potting to 5 gallon pots, and a move to the 4x4 tent with a 400w LED that is much too dry. On top of all of that, I went to check on them the day after their last watering and found water still in the drain trays :( I have new drain trays for them so that will not happen again.

I am still trying to get the humidity up in the tent. I put the humidifier in the basement and added a wet towel in the tent with the intake blowing on it. It raised humidity but not enough. I was trying to keep the humidifier out of the tent because it makes such a mess (with well water it puts calcium carbonate everywhere), but I finally put it in there for now even if I need to buy RO/DI water to use with it. I also ordered an A/C Infinity exhaust fan so I can better manage the environment in the tent :)

Betty (White Widow) is doing great and may be catching up on the others. She was tied down very young and was recently topped (by accident). Her stems are huge and her nodes are stacked incredibly tight together. She has one cola in particular that is thick and stacked!

Jenny (Purple Haze) is doing OK. Everything looks good on her except that she is a bit droopy. I guess I am used to having my plants praying to the lights and she is not doing that right now. She is all stretched out right now and needs to fill in the middle a bit.

Abby (Hindu Kush) looks sad and droopy. Her leaves are still green but they are all pointing down. She is looking pretty bad.

So I am trying to address any possible issues.
Tent Change - I checked the PPFD and do not believe that is an issue. I turned the light down to 80% for now, though, just to rule it out.
VPD - I know the VPD has been too high. I put the humidifer in the tent with DI water and have a heater in the basement to try to get it a bit warmer and wetter.
Watering - I'm still getting the hang of watering in the 5g cloth pots. I had my watering frequency and amounts down pat with the 2g cloth pots and am learning how much/often watering is required in the new 5g pots. I definitely watered too little when repotting. I then watered them after a few days and I may have given them too little again.

I am hoping that they are just missing their @Prescription Blend :) Due to the cold/wet conditions with the power outage and the repotting they had not been well fertigated in a while. I mixed up 5 gallons of @Prescription Blend and gave them a good fertigation last night. They were all pretty dry.

I also removed all of the LST and set up the net. I'll be more present in the next couple of days and I tuck and bend to fill in the net so I hope I can get them turned around. I want some nice healthy girls to take some clones and switch them to flower soon.

Happy Growing.

Date: 1/24/22
Light height and reading - 400w LED @ 100% 24 Inches away - 25-30k LUX
Grow space - Vivosun 8x48x80 tent in basement
2 Oscillating fans + 1 Tower oscillating fan + 1 12" floor fan

Temperatures and humidity have improved this week. I have a heater in the basement and a humidifier in the tent. I am restricting the output to the exhaust fan to try to keep as much heat and humidity in the tent as possible. My new AC Infinity fan should be here soon then I can really dial in the VPD.

Govee added VPD to their wi-fi hygrometers!

When I last wrote the girls were not looking great. Well a good watering with some @Prescription Blend perked everyone right up. I have turned the light back to 100% and they are all praying again :)

With everyone thriving it was time to clean them up a bit. I have been plucking a bit here and there throughout veg, but they were due for a real hair cut.

So, I removed:
- Everything growing on the lower 1/3 of the plant.
- Any 'suckers', or branches growing out of the bottom of other branches
- Any 'free-loaders', or leaves growing under other vegetation that do not receive any light (usually purple stems)
- Finally, and leaves that are growing toward the middle and blocking other bud sites

Abby (Hindu Kush) has been topped multiple times. She had a lot of buds stacked up around her perimiter that had to be removed.

Betty (White Widow) is the smallest of the three and was LSTed to the ground for a while. She has incredibly thick stems and is really stacking beautifully. I cleaned out some of the middle and lower larf and she looks better than ever.

Jenny (Purple Haze) is a monster of a plant and would take over the tent if she could. I took the most off of her. She had a lot of 'suckers' that were up at the canopy but were competing with other bud sites. She is looking fantastic after the defoliation.

I took the best eight (8) clones from each plant and filled up my DWC cloner. My plan for the next grow is to take four of these clones back in DWC (or possibly RDWC; still have not decided).

So, on Saturday I gave them all a trim and on Sunday I flipped them to 12/12. I was going to put a SCROG net up before going to flower but I am not sure now. When I get the new exhaust fan I plan on mounting it outside the tent and I will need to remove everything while I work. We will see once that is done if it makes sense to add the net. I like the net for spreading them out and evening out the canopy, but it sure does make watering/pruning/etc much harder. My new fan should be here this week so I have a few days to decide...

Happy Growing.

I love how you have trained them into this shape. They look awesome!
How long do you veg them for on average?

Edit: I think Abby answered that .. ~3 months?

There is a long answer to that @PlanetJ I planted Abby on 10/17, Betty & Jenny on 10/31. I had a lot of issues with watering at first and they were looking pretty bad. I solved the watering issue, and moved to @Prescription Blend nutrients on 11/27. That is when they really started. Then I had to wait for my first grow to finish in the big tent so I kept them tied down pretty well. So veg has been somewhere between 3 months and 6 weeks depending on how you count ;)

Happy Growing.

Back
Top Bottom