Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Table

Re: Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Ta

I see your point. But if you take 250 divided by 200. You get a 20% advantage and not 30 to 50%. Why would a 250 Watt HPS draw 275 to 300?:scratchinghead:

All Hps lamps draw slightly more power than their rating i.e. A 1000w typically draws ~ 1100-1150 Although i dont think its up to 300 its definitely probably around 275

Re: Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Ta

I see your point. But if you take 250 divided by 200. You get a 20% advantage and not 30 to 50%. Why would a 250 Watt HPS draw 275 to 300?:scratchinghead:
250w for the bulb, how much does the ballast use? I actually don't know so am guessing 25-50watts. Which is why I said "measured at the wall". How much wattage does each system draw. That seems fair since the advertised advantage for an LED is reduced consumption (in light and cooling etc...). If the LED has a draw of 200w at the wall and the HPS has a draw of 300w at the wall that is a 50% increase (if it only draws 275w compared to the LED's 200 that is a 37% increase). The LEDs are typically rated at how much total draw they have, HID/HPS are typically rated at how much the bulb draws.

All Hps lamps draw slightly more power than their rating i.e. A 1000w typically draws ~ 1100-1150 Although i dont think its up to 300 its definitely probably around 275

I learn something new every day! Outstanding!! :Namaste:

Please forgive my prediction. I would love to see the LED beat the HPS. I hope it does...really. I would love to have the same results with less energy. If the 200w beats the 250HPS...I will buy an LED light! Watching this grow closely. :thumb:

250w for the bulb, how much does the ballast use? I actually don't know so am guessing 25-50watts. Which is why I said "measured at the wall". How much wattage does each system draw. That seems fair since the advertised advantage for an LED is reduced consumption (in light and cooling etc...). If the LED has a draw of 200w at the wall and the HPS has a draw of 300w at the wall that is a 50% increase (if it only draws 275w compared to the LED's 200 that is a 37% increase). The LEDs are typically rated at how much total draw they have, HID/HPS are typically rated at how much the bulb draws.

Excellent information!! Thanks!! :thanks:

Twelve12: love the avatar! Its like a cannabis cadillac symbol! You must only grow luxory meds :)

Haha you know it. Starting to have new strains that people will be like "What? you're making that up." Someday, "Downtown Stumble" will be world famous!

You still have time to get the Kill-a-watt before harvest. Is a good tool to measure wattage to get accurate on the power draw # for both lights, that way we'll have even more accurate results from the two comparison. You can always buy it, test it out, and return it back after getting the actual wattage. The divider was a step closer to accuracy, the Kill-A-Watt will get the results even closer.

~~~UPDATE~~~

Wow I cant believe its been 5 days since my last update! Sorry amigos ive just been quite the busy bee lately. I cant believe what Im seeing in this tent, though. Despite what my initial thoughts, (along with many others) The LED is really giving the HPS a run for its money. The buds on both sides are really gaining some weight and getting thick. I honestly cant say that the HPS buds are bigger, though. They look almost even, and Im not going to say this OFFICIALLY, but I think some of the buds on the LED side are actually SLIGHTLY bigger than the biggest bud on the HPS side. MAYBE. All I know is Im very impressed with the Diamond Series, and its going to be a close one. At first I thought for sure the HPS would win this one, But now, Im sitting on the fence again. Well see how it all pans out. its only day 25

DAY 25

Temp: 77-80
rH: 40-50
ppm: 645
ph: 6.2

day_25_11_.jpg
day_25_11_.jpg
day_25_2_1.jpg
day_25_10_.jpg
day_25_3_.jpg
day_25_8_.jpg
day_25_9_.jpg
day_25_7_.jpg
day_25_4_.jpg
day_25_5_.jpg
day_25_6_.jpg

And heres a little preview of my cloner project. its the DIY 50 site cloner originally constructed by 420fied. heres a link to the project if anyone is interested. its as simple as 1, 2, 3:
DIY 50 site aero cloner for under $100.00
day_255.jpg

I cant wait to start clones for my next SOG in this thing!

:thumb:

MB, looking great. I never had a doubt the DS would do well. Any chance of getting your hands on a kill-a-watt? That is going to be a good piece of data to have when you figure out grams-per-watt in the end. I have a feeling the HPS light has at least a 30% wattage advantage, but I don't see a 30% bud improvement.

I was looking forward to your update! It looks like the LED plants are taller. Or is that my imagination. Both sides do have some great looking flowers. This is getting very interesting!:thumb:

Doing great MB! Keep it up! GO GO GO LED!

MB, looking great. I never had a doubt the DS would do well. Any chance of getting your hands on a kill-a-watt? That is going to be a good piece of data to have when you figure out grams-per-watt in the end. I have a feeling the HPS light has at least a 30% wattage advantage, but I don't see a 30% bud improvement.

Oh yes there will be a kill a watt reading for tthe lights. I plan on getting one at the end of the grow and take measurements of each light after the chop, then i will post results when buds have all been dried.

@CF: there is 1 top that stretched a little more than the rest in the back which makes it look like that, but besides that, both canopies are pretty even.

Hi Ya M.Beans
I'm late, but I'm here I caught up on your journal and I am strapped in for this one brother . My electric bills are killing me. Thinking of putting out More money for the LED's
I know I know it will save me in the end . Ladies look great in thier little homes
:bravo: I'll be checking in Good Job :peace:

Whats up MB, Damn I cant believe I haven't subbed to this yet well now I am very big fan of LED and love how you are growing with two different lighting sources :Namaste: ladies are looking equal right now bro cant wait to see the final weigh in nice work

@clayhead: :welcome: brother. Yea elecricity can be a big issue for many, ask stevehman. He pays like 24c a kwh! OUCH! Im doing this grow without any bias, but i would be excited to see the LED pull through and win. That would mean that these lights and the technology is finally upon us. Of coarse we still must consider bigger bulbs and the increased intensity vs the same intensity of a higher watt LED over more space. Maybe in the future a 600w DS or whatever the newest technology is at that time vs. A 600w hps? Well see what the future brings. One thing at a time right?

@Crower619: thanks for the compliment my man. I cant wait to see what your scrog pulls for us! Youre ready for 12/12 any time now.

Hey Magic Beans! :high-five:

Sure is beautifully colored comparison. Guess I'm missing the point some what, which ever wins will be cool to see. But I just keep thinking..together they are going to add up to a nice haul.! :bravo::high-five:

Looking good MB - those pictures make my eyes hurt, the ones where you see both lights going. Looks like such different treatment, yet similar results so far. Cool experiment. Will be interesting to see difference. :)

Great comparison grow. Even though there is about a 30% advantage to the HPS. The LED plants look very similar in growth. If the LED wins I will buy one.:thumb:

MB, great grow bro sorry I'm late! I am caught up on your journal and very interested in your results especially since I just purchased a 250w hps remote ballast with reflective hood been up for a week now 12/12 from seed grow. Great to see a comparison journal again some excellent ones here @ 420! Looks like yours will be joining the ranks! You are going to love the yield either way by the looks of things like Old Med said :high-five: :thumb: Nice to be back online with the community :cheer:

MB, great grow bro sorry I'm late! I am caught up on your journal and very interested in your results especially since I just purchased a 250w hps remote ballast with reflective hood been up for a week now 12/12 from seed grow. Great to see a comparison journal again some excellent ones here @ 420! Looks like yours will be joining the ranks! You are going to love the yield either way by the looks of things like Old Med said :high-five: :thumb: Nice to be back online with the community :cheer:

Welcome to the grow amd welcome back to the community! im sure i will love this harvest, but i wish we could all do nuf exchanges somehow so we could all experience eachothers work! Maybe in the future someday...

I just had the start to an awesome day. I walk into the hydro store to get some coco for a mom im going to grow in a smart pot. Well a couple of the guys know me by name there now and one of them gave me a bunch of free nutes probably $100 worth just cuz im always in there making large purchases. Thats what i call customer service!

Welcome to the grow amd welcome back to the community! im sure i will love this harvest, but i wish we could all do nuf exchanges somehow so we could all experience eachothers work! Maybe in the future someday...

I just had the start to an awesome day. I walk into the hydro store to get some coco for a mom im going to grow in a smart pot. Well a couple of the guys know me by name there now and one of them gave me a bunch of free nutes probably $100 worth just cuz im always in there making large purchases. Thats what i call customer service!

Nice! :woohoo:

It pays to have friends in HIGH places! :grinjoint:

Gotta love free stuff :)
My local hydro store always gives me compost tea for free.
Like I said love that price, don't you?

Back
Top Bottom