Magic Beans' Pineapple Chunk Flo N Gro 9-Site in a 5x5 Tent - Lots of Light!

Bro niiiice setup! From someone who shares your diligence in providing a great nursery, well done!

Can wait to see the show, sorry if I missed the others but Im new :riskybusiness:

Hey RW, nice to have you here!

Its a good feeling to have everyone compliment on the setup. So thank you and everyone else again.

Special props to you, Ricky, for staying with us at 420. Although you didnt believe so, you are a great asset to the community and your grow journal, as you see now, does have an influence.

~~~UPDATE~~~

Just a quick update on the lil girls. They finally shifted concentration from root growth to new foliage. that light is really drying things out. I put a humidifier in and it stays around 40. Not bad. I have been rotating them and the roots have already gone about 8 inches down and out of the sides of the containers. Im guessing they're growing some nice root systems and preparing to grow into some MONSTERS. well see.

DAY 8 Veg

Temp: 76-79
rH: 40
ph: 6.0
ppm:122

day_8_veg_003.jpg
day_8_veg_001.jpg
day_8_veg_006.jpg
day_8_veg_005.jpg
day_8_veg_004.jpg
day_8_veg_007.jpg

I have a fan blowing on the bulb and it keeps it pretty cool. With it, the hood is room temp nice and cool, without it, the hood is friggin HOT!!
day_8_veg_002.jpg

And the soon to be moms:
Pineapple chunk. When i took this clone I had topped the branch and this is what I got for a clone:
day_8_veg_008.jpg

cant wait to see how she ends up growing out.

Vanilla Kush. Ok so I've heard that these VK can stay in the seedling stage of life for a while, but its been almost a month from germination, and this is all shes grown. I gave her a small dose of nutes to get going a little bit, but Im thinking maybe VK is just a late bloomer, or else it just wasnt the greatest seed. In any case I think if she doesnt start to speed up in a week or two, Im just going to abandon her and pop a different seed. Any thoughts let me know:
day_8_veg_009.jpg

:roorrip::roorrip::roorrip:

Hey Magic Beans! :ciao:

I've seen you around and in many of the same threads, so I thought I would sub in here and see what you're up to! :thumb:

So far I'm really liking what I see!

Keep up the great work and I will be following along from here on out! :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Hey Magic Beans! :ciao:

I've seen you around and in many of the same threads, so I thought I would sub in here and see what you're up to! :thumb:

So far I'm really liking what I see!

Keep up the great work and I will be following along from here on out! :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Hey GG7 thanks for signing in. Im subbed on your grow and watching it. Its hard to keep up with sometimes!

@Twelve12: I really do want to continue with the VK, so well see what happens. I just hope that if the girl starts growing more vigorously, the clones will not be very slow starting.

Hey GG7 thanks for signing in. Im subbed on your grow and watching it. Its hard to keep up with sometimes!

Hey MB!

Thanks for subbing into my grow too! :thumb:

I'll admit that it does move pretty fast at times, but things are winding down now as we get to the end of the season. I'm shooting for a harvest around the 9th of October for the majority of my plants out back. That will likely be the last major series of updates for my journal for 2011 until I start prepping for 2012! ;)

They're talking rain for our area for the middle of next week, so it looks like I am going to have to drag out all the tarps and junk and cover as many as I can. The rain itself isn't what I am worried about, but the WEIGHT of wet bud on all the branches! My Purple Urkles are already sagging under the weight right now and I am worried that if they get water logged many of them might snap! I've got so many stakes stuck into the pots already, I really can't add too many more!

Most are far too big to move, so I just have to work with what I have and hope for the best! That is really the only major downside to growing outdoors up here. We usually get at least one rain storm before I can harvest. Last year was the same way.

Anyway.. I'm just about to read through your whole thread now which I always try to do when I join in on another grower's journal. Always best to have a complete knowledge of their history and their various plants and projects! Looks like I managed to get in early this time, so I don't have too much catching up to do! :thumb:

Hi MB -

They look nice and healthy. I found a little ultrasonic humidifier (at K mart?) that works pretty well in my 3x5 tent. I was able to keep the humidity pretty steady at about 60% during veg. If you want more details let me know, it took me a while to find a humidifier I liked for my space, but I do like it. I'm now running my dehumidifier to keep it low enough, lol.

Oh, and I decided to do a review on the Flo N Gro, and would love to have you check it out and add any thoughts/impressions as you've been using yours a bit longer than I:

Titan Controls: Flo N Gro Review

Take care buddy, nice start and nice set up - I like that tent better for that many buckets (I'm sure you do too!)

Hey MB!

Thanks for subbing into my grow too! :thumb:

I'll admit that it does move pretty fast at times, but things are winding down now as we get to the end of the season. I'm shooting for a harvest around the 9th of October for the majority of my plants out back. That will likely be the last major series of updates for my journal for 2011 until I start prepping for 2012! ;)

They're talking rain for our area for the middle of next week, so it looks like I am going to have to drag out all the tarps and junk and cover as many as I can. The rain itself isn't what I am worried about, but the WEIGHT of wet bud on all the branches! My Purple Urkles are already sagging under the weight right now and I am worried that if they get water logged many of them might snap! I've got so many stakes stuck into the pots already, I really can't add too many more!

Most are far too big to move, so I just have to work with what I have and hope for the best! That is really the only major downside to growing outdoors up here. We usually get at least one rain storm before I can harvest. Last year was the same way.

Anyway.. I'm just about to read through your whole thread now which I always try to do when I join in on another grower's journal. Always best to have a complete knowledge of their history and their various plants and projects! Looks like I managed to get in early this time, so I don't have too much catching up to do! :thumb:

Yea ive always wanted and still want to grow outdoors, but I just dont meet the requirements. I get so jealous of you outdoor growers with your lush, montrous plants. But thats one thing ive always wondered about: rain during late flowering. I personally wpuld fear it alltogether dampening my buds and promoting mold and mildew. I guess outside is their natural habitat, but it still something i wonder about and now heavy wet buds is something i can definitely ser posing a problem.

Its a good thing i dont have100+ pages of journal like OMM or Mr. Krip or going through the whole journal would be quite the task! Im still leisurely making my way through OMMs first indoor journal!

Hi MB -

They look nice and healthy. I found a little ultrasonic humidifier (at K mart?) that works pretty well in my 3x5 tent. I was able to keep the humidity pretty steady at about 60% during veg. If you want more details let me know, it took me a while to find a humidifier I liked for my space, but I do like it. I'm now running my dehumidifier to keep it low enough, lol.

Oh, and I decided to do a review on the Flo N Gro, and would love to have you check it out and add any thoughts/impressions as you've been using yours a bit longer than I:

Titan Controls: Flo N Gro Review

Take care buddy, nice start and nice set up - I like that tent better for that many buckets (I'm sure you do too!)

Hey X,

Yea 9 buckets fit a lot better in here lol. Honestly my humidifier works well, but now my growrooms climate pretty much depends on the outside weather because i a window open with a fan suxking in fresh air for both rooms now that the fall weather is here to bless me.

But i will definitely drop by and give my 2 pennies on the Flo n Gro in your review.

Nice clean grow area. I like the grow system you are using. The tent is going to explode!! :thumb:

~~~UPDATE~~~

Temp: 75-81
rH:34-45
ppm: 280
pH: 5.5
Well I started feeding them with the FD nutes three days ago. Theyre starting to take off. I've topped most of them and have been rotating them every couple days. Roots are coming out of the sides pretty densely and many long, dangling, pearl white roots hanging out of the bottom of the mesh pots. I think theyre comfortable with their root systems now and are really going to display some effort here. Probably will veg for another 2 weeks as I keep topping and possibly pinching here and there. Will probably add the 2 180w advanced lights in another week to and move the MH to cover a very wide canopy and have the little bushes grow out more. Well here are the pics right after a rotation on many of them.

day_13_veg_006.jpg
day_13_veg_005.jpg
day_13_veg_004.jpg
day_13_veg_003.jpg

Lookin nice MB!

Couple questions;

1. Plants seem pretty spread out for a 5x5 tent. Which in turn makes me think there's a lot of light that doesnt get full use (if that makes sense). One of the things I'm kinda bummed about on my grow because I put the feed tubes in wrong location, making me spread plants more than needed.

Would it be feasible in a future grow to add 3 buckets and move them closer together using the "inbetween" spaces so they are diagonally together? Makes me think you can go 12 using the same buckets and gain more light intensity.

2. I've seen a number of grows using these pots (dont forget I'm new at this). Then I think about so many of the grows I see with 3" netpots and such. Is there a specific benefit or goal with this type of grow?

3. I presume these are clones? At what point do you plan to increase the feed to full veg when planting clones?

Thanks, Looks good MB. Here's to an awesome grow! :cheer:

Lookin nice MB!

Couple questions;

1. Plants seem pretty spread out for a 5x5 tent. Which in turn makes me think there's a lot of light that doesnt get full use (if that makes sense). One of the things I'm kinda bummed about on my grow because I put the feed tubes in wrong location, making me spread plants more than needed.

Would it be feasible in a future grow to add 3 buckets and move them closer together using the "inbetween" spaces so they are diagonally together? Makes me think you can go 12 using the same buckets and gain more light intensity.

2. I've seen a number of grows using these pots (dont forget I'm new at this). Then I think about so many of the grows I see with 3" netpots and such. Is there a specific benefit or goal with this type of grow?

3. I presume these are clones? At what point do you plan to increase the feed to full veg when planting clones?

Thanks, Looks good MB. Here's to an awesome grow! :cheer:

Hey Bassman.

Its good to ask questions and those are some great ones. Well, to answer question number 2 first, the easiest: to each is own. everybody has their growing styles, and everybody is always still developing their growing styles. You're developing yours with your first grow in those DWC buckets and LED. I think you made some fine decisions and believe you to be already well-educated or at least of done your homework in the MMJ growing field.
Most growers are always trying new things: I started soil, tried hydro with the Flo n Gro, and many other things. Just gaining different experiences to do whats right for you. There are only a few wrong ways to grow, one of them by stealing electricity, but when it comes to style, I think I speak for many when I say that its ALWAYS a learning experience!

to question #1: Well, the first time I grew in the Flo n Gro, I was using 2 Sun Blaze 44s for veg, so 4x2 feet of flourescents. Under those lights I fit the same 9 buckets right next to eachother. Now that last grow I only vegged for about 3.5 weeks and I flipped when they were still pretty short. well those pineapple chunk completely took over the tent. I had 3 Lemon Skunk plants that yielded less than 4g put together because those things just spread out and got massive. So I know for this round that I need to give them their space. When I flip to flower they are going to triple in size. I plan on topping/pinching the plants to turn them into little bushes and they will all make an (hopefully) even canopy. Yes, youre right. I am wasting a lot of light and I do feel a little bad. Im not really worried about the electric bill but I am trying to stay green. but It was that or hang a decent size CFL over each one and I wasnt trying to do all that work :) besides, in about 1 more week they should be taking up most of that light and itll be all good.

question 3: Im still fiddling with the nute strengths, and, Last grow the highest ppm I used was just half strength of the recommended doses from GH. I kept a 525 and lower ppm throughout flower without any defeciencies. I kept veg at about 1/3 strength most of the time. It really just depends on strain but a good rule of thumb is to feed at lower strengths. its VERY hard to underfeed your plants when using quality hydro nutes but very easy to burn them, so you want to be careful. As long as youre not seeing any defeciencies, your plants are doing good and are not missing out. sure, Im sure some nutes do certain things with plants, but I believe that genetics and the other 4 limiting factors play a bigger role in how you plants turn out. check this out if you already havent: Advanced Nutrient Management for hydroponic growers - by Lawrence Brooke

:thumb:

Thanks for those sir. Ya I totally get feeding them less. I guess what I mean though was with clones, when do you bump it up? **I presume those are clones by the fan leaf clippings. Hadnt looked back through journal to make sure**

Ya I hear ya on style. I have none. But I am so messy I would have plants growing out my base boards if I used dirt.

cool beans MB! (pun intended)

Well for the transplant when theyre rooted i start them out with some thrive alive b1 for the first week and a half. My hydro store guy gave me some Gh rapid start so im going to try that next. Anothe hdro store floor guy told me that you can use just water for the first week but i dont know how comfortable i feel about that. I envision much yellowing so i go with a slight dose of a very unconcentrated starter type nute. Then i start the Floraduo feeding regime i started about a 1/4 strength.

Back
Top Bottom