My First Tent Grow

The LED's I plan on getting are two 1000w for $160. each. I looked everywhere for its dimensions and cant find it.
Anyone know approx. the size (dimension) of a 1000w LED??? Im thinking 2'x4'??

What make and model? They vary quite a bit.

-edit-

I just noticed you said 1000W for $160. I hate to be a party pooper, but you don't get a decent 1000W LED panel for $160. That sounds more like a 250W-300W unit at best.

:ciao:

IDK if I'll have time to go back to the beginning, but I'm along for the rest of the ride. I may ask some stupid questions you already covered in the first 5 pages.

-edit-

Ok - I lied. I'm all caught up!

It sounds like you will have your hands full maintaining temps and RH in your tent.
IMO, RH is just as important as air flow and temperatures, yet it is often overlooked, or at least neglected, when designing a space and buying equipment. Usually, when plants are small, the room get dry from the air extraction and the lights. This is when they need the RH at it's highest. Then, once they are grown and beginning to flower, they transpire enough moisture to keep the room RH too high. <_<

I got a digital humidity reader for $10. and plan on regulating this. Im sure it shows temp too?
A friend has a portable, new, climate controlled A/C and heater in one unit to control temps for $100. and I might get this. I will try to control this but im not ready yet. Im still figuring exhaust.
I read that what you want to avoid indoors is a big swing in temps and humidity. Very important!! So will do

I got a digital humidity reader for $10. and plan on regulating this. Im sure it shows temp too?
A friend has a portable, new, climate controlled A/C and heater in one unit to control temps for $100. and I might get this. I will try to control this but im not ready yet. Im still figuring exhaust.
I read that what you want to avoid indoors is a big swing in temps and humidity. Very important!! So will do

I like a minimum of a 10 degree drop when lights are off - up to 15 degrees (like 80/68F).
RH is dependant on temp. In veg it should be fairly high. In flower it needs to be lower, not for the plant, but to limit the chance of mold. Typically something like 65% in veg and 40% in bloom.

Silencer goes in line after the fan. It takes the noise from the fan out before your neighbor hears it.
Thanks Newbie!
How bout intake...... Silencer then fan then into tent with a intake filter?? or no need silencer for intake? or muffler ducting? I can use the cheap ducting I also have for intake? Im thinking the muffler ducting will be best for intake also but i will need to buy still. Dont want to waste $$.

Keep the flaps at the bottom of your tent open with a short rigid duct spray painted black on inside and bent around to avoid light leakage (if that's a problem. That's your passive air coming in.

Now, hang your carbon filter to top of tent and connect ducting. Ducting goes through top flap, this goes to your fan. It is recommended to pull the air through the filter.

You have a inline fan, yeah? An inline can be loud and insulated ducting going to the fan can really quiet it all up. The fan can be either in the room with the tent, or it can be in the attic. When both the intake and exhaust are connected with insulated ducting the ducting just sucks out the sound. I don't know what your muffler is, but I assume that would be connected to your exhaust out the roof. Post a pic of the muffler.

Air system

Filter-ducting-fan intake
Exhaust-ducting/muffler-roof vent

I don't know what lights you have and 420mag has rules about posting non sponsored gear in a journal, but Major is right about your panels, I doubt they are really 1000watt. That doesn't mean they totally suck. If they produce light your plants will grow.

I made the mistake of underpowering my grow with a small LED. It produced some airy buds. I want those dense buds.

I like a minimum of a 10 degree drop when lights are off - up to 15 degrees (like 80/68F).
RH is dependant on temp. In veg it should be fairly high. In flower it needs to be lower, not for the plant, but to limit the chance of mold. Typically something like 65% in veg and 40% in bloom.

I was also told to keep temps at 78 deg. constant because bugs start at 80 deg.?? Im thinking I will need to buy friends portable/digital, A/C/Heater. I will figure this out soon. Thanks!

I was also told to keep temps at 78 deg. constant because bugs start at 80 deg.?? Im thinking I will need to buy friends portable/digital, A/C/Heater. I will figure this out soon. Thanks!

Bugs will thrive at any temperature your grow can be happy with. Cleanliness is your best defense with a planned IPM solution if worse comes to worse.

Thanks Newbie!
How bout intake...... Silencer then fan then into tent with a intake filter?? or no need silencer for intake? or muffler ducting? I can use the cheap ducting I also have for intake? Im thinking the muffler ducting will be best for intake also but i will need to buy still. Dont want to waste $$.
Usually you don't hear sounds up wind so I would try it without the muffler. You can always add one in later if you could hear it from outside. But in that case it would be between the fan and outside.

Bugs will thrive at any temperature your grow can be happy with. Cleanliness is your best defense with a planned IPM solution if worse comes to worse.

Thanks Pita. Whats a planned IPM solution??
My plan was to use Aza Max for pests both spray and drench if needed.
Im guessing when I wash out the pots dont leave them in the back yard, especially on the grass. Im guessing after I wash the pots maybe store them inside until use?

Usually you don't hear sounds up wind so I would try it without the muffler. You can always add one in later if you could hear it from outside. But in that case it would be between the fan and outside.

Great Newbie. Im probably going to get the muffler ducting for intake too. Probably going to get an active air 6" fan with the small cone shaped filter for bugs.
Whats a "can filter"? I see the Can fan filter combo and wonder if its good for intake. It looks small and maybe better?

Thanks Pita. Whats a planned IPM solution??
My plan was to use Aza Max for pests both spray and drench if needed.
Im guessing when I wash out the pots dont leave them in the back yard, especially on the grass. Im guessing after I wash the pots maybe store them inside until use?

IPM = integrated pest management. It can be any any of: sprays, drenches, clean room techniques, top dressings, sulfur burns, etc. Just a plan ready to put into action to control potential problems.
I scrub and bleach my pots, rinse, dry, and use immediately.

Keep the flaps at the bottom of your tent open with a short rigid duct spray painted black on inside and bent around to avoid light leakage (if that's a problem. That's your passive air coming in.

Now, hang your carbon filter to top of tent and connect ducting. Ducting goes through top flap, this goes to your fan. It is recommended to pull the air through the filter.

You have a inline fan, yeah? An inline can be loud and insulated ducting going to the fan can really quiet it all up. The fan can be either in the room with the tent, or it can be in the attic. When both the intake and exhaust are connected with insulated ducting the ducting just sucks out the sound. I don't know what your muffler is, but I assume that would be connected to your exhaust out the roof. Post a pic of the muffler.

Air system

Filter-ducting-fan intake
Exhaust-ducting/muffler-roof vent

I don't know what lights you have and 420mag has rules about posting non sponsored gear in a journal, but Major is right about your panels, I doubt they are really 1000watt. That doesn't mean they totally suck. If they produce light your plants will grow.

I made the mistake of underpowering my grow with a small LED. It produced some airy buds. I want those dense buds.

Thanks! I was thinking maybe the intake filter went on the duct end inside the tent. I know it goes on either the beginning or the end. Its the begining on both intake and out take. Thanks! The intake is going to run under the house over to a vent. I will have to go under the house to maintain this filter but no biggie.
I was given three new 600w glass encased MH's. My plan was to run two of those 1000w led's and one 600w MH in the 5x9 tent. Good Idea? Or maybe just run the three MH's and no LED's?
Thanks Gaffle!

As long as she's got a good personality.

Hows this for personality Newbie!!
20160526_164940.jpg

IPM = integrated pest management. It can be any any of: sprays, drenches, clean room techniques, top dressings, sulfur burns, etc. Just a plan ready to put into action to control potential problems.
I scrub and bleach my pots, rinse, dry, and use immediately.

Thank you!
I planning on being as clean as possible always.
I planned on using a vinegar wash but will go with a bleach solution right before use on pots.

Great Newbie. Im probably going to get the muffler ducting for intake too. Probably going to get an active air 6" fan with the small cone shaped filter for bugs.
Whats a "can filter"? I see the Can fan filter combo and wonder if its good for intake. It looks small and maybe better?
I'm not sure why they call it a can filter but it does resemble a can with that cylindrical shape. And I'm sure it will work just fine.

a can filter is for your "odour removal" inside the tent on your exhaust duct.

something to consider that just popped into my head....

whatever length of duct you are planning to use for your intake would be part of your gross cubic feet that you are drawing from.

lets say you use a 240 cfm fan for your intake, but the length of tube you use has a cubic footage of say 250. you really wouldn't be pulling in much fresh air at all. if you have a filter on the end of that, you actually may stall the fan.

hmmm looks like your overthinking is making me overthink it. lmao

yep overthought that one, lol

there. you can figure out if your ducting will be effective or not.

a can filter is for your "odour removal" inside the tent on your exhaust duct.

something to consider that just popped into my head....

whatever length of duct you are planning to use for your intake would be part of your gross cubic feet that you are drawing from.

lets say you use a 240 cfm fan for your intake, but the length of tube you use has a cubic footage of say 250. you really wouldn't be pulling in much fresh air at all. if you have a filter on the end of that, you actually may stall the fan.

hmmm looks like your overthinking is making me overthink it. lmao

yep overthought that one, lol

here's a calculator I found just now. Volume of a Cylinder Calculator

there. you can figure out if your ducting will be effective or not.
Major Pita convinced me to use my HPS/MH for a few grows to get used to things and no need to buy LED's. Others have suggested this too.
This is my plan.....
Use the three 600w HPS lights I have
Intake will have a bug filter then about 4' of 8" ducting from under the house into the tent bottom run up to the HPS hoods (smell filter goes?) out the hoods, out the tent top to the 8" fan then muffler then through ceiling out roof jack?????
Im thinking NO! The outtake fan wont pull from way under the house up through the hoods and then blow out the roof jack. I will need two fans!
Its the same set up im thinking if I go LED and its this.........
Two separate deals meaning my out take starts with...
a smell filter being pulled by the fan through hoods or not(led). So ...Smell filter then hoods then fan then muffler out the roof jack.
and I will need a SEPARATE fan and filter for intake either with MH,HPS or LED??? YES!
CANT INTAKE BUG FILTER BE PLACED EITHER IN THE BEGINNING OR END? WHICH IS BEST??? (IMPORTANT)
And my intake should be a little smaller than my out take as in 8" outtake and 6" intake.
I thought maybe if you run it through hoods you only need one fan, but no two fans are needed. One fan bringing in and another taking out.
Hope Im not too confusing but I got it!!!! Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom