PeeJay's Neophyte Breeding Adventure

Yep. The Chitrals have no branches! They are both 11 nodes and I bent them three nodes down. Do you have a picture of the plants you want to bend?

Well, I did.....and just discovered the bat rasterds' a male! Grrrr.......... (one of the wildlings)
I'll try it with the newer plants. They just got up-potted from seedlings. How many nodes do you suggest they have first?

6-7, Canna. You could also just top them. My experience is that topping is even more effective at getting a plant to bush. Low Stress training isn't low stress at all, really.

6-7, Canna. You could also just top them. My experience is that topping is even more effective at getting a plant to bush. Low Stress training isn't low stress at all, really.

Okay, I already topped the newest plants... in a couple of places. LOL
I did go out and supercrop one of the Wildlings a few minutes ago when I went out to toss the male. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully as well as yours do!

Thanks

:circle-of-love:

Agreed...

I've enjoyed some Chitral dispensary nugs, CC, and I liked 'em. Very relaxing all indica buzz. These ones in the greenhouse won't ever reach their full potential, but I did lift clones from the two shortest and squatest female Panamas and the two female Chitral today. I'm going to grow them out indoors when the tent is free - about 4 weeks. Hopefully the clones will take. There was not much to choose from in the healthy side branches department since all the breeders are growing straight up because of where they are. I shall hope for the best.

Breeders update:

It turns out that I have a Panama male after all *toots horn, throws confetti, lights up a cigar*

20150824_170340.jpg

Off to All Boys School, Hombre! More about All Boys School later in the post.

Everyone else looks like they wiggle when they walk... For example:

20150824_170457.jpg

20150824_170529.jpg

I mentioned that I took some clones with a little difficulty due to the almost complete lack of branching on these straight up growing somewhat light deprived plants. But hey, like I said all along these are for making seeds not stash. Last weeks supercropping promoted enough branch development that I got a few.

Anyway, because I want to continue playing with selection tactics for a while I decided I should make a bubble cloner. Looking around at various strategies I ran into a company selling small bubble cloners made out of 2qt food service containers with a tight fitting lid and an air dispersal system that is an alternative to an airstone ( more like an air permiable ring of some sort of plastic/rubber material.) I'm very familiar with the containers... I knew I could make one for around $15 but I would need to hustle neoprene rings from the hydro store or locate enough discarded flip-flops or an unused pool noodle to make my own, a container from the restaurant supply place and I wasn't sure if I had the right size hole saw, etc. Screw it. They only wanted 30 bucks including shipping (without the air pump but I have one of those already.) Done deal. Life is hectic right now so I chose a time is money point of view.

The clones look a far site better than they did 36 hours ago - I haven't been home to watch. Seems to be working. What I have is a clone of each of the two female Chitrals and clones from the two shortest and least stretchy female Panamas. It seems to me that I don't want tall lanky plants so I selected the two that stayed shorter. Fortunately, the one that decided to openly parade his nuts while I was gone was not one of the short ones! These are going to go in the big tent when it is free in about five weeks and will be flowered out for yield.

Here is the mini 4 site cloner. I guess it is really easy to daisy chain them together if you want more sites. I like the idea that even if I ran a couple or three of them they would still take up little space to store when not in use. We'll see how it works. Now that I've seen one I can get the parts at my leisure to make my own if I want more.

20150824_170135.jpg

The lanky straight-up nature of these plants turned out to work to my advantage in the pollen collecting department in a big way. I originally had a rather elaborate plan involving a temporary location, rigging up a few CFLs, etc. When I looked at the situation I realized that I'd read somewhere about using those turkey roasting bags. They are a very cooperative food grade plastic that does not collapse into itself -sort of crackly. With the tall plants I decided to just watch the male flowers until they were ready to drop the load, pull any balls off the lower half of the plant, slip the bag over the top of the plant, secure the closure with a twist tie, and bend the crap out of the stem below the bag. This way, the pollen falls into the bottom of the bag as the flowers open.

All Boys School is simply outside of the greenhouse in a space between it and the 48" high wall that makes the deck boundary. The fan filter combo dumps air out that side and takes air in from the other side. I decided that there wasn't much chance of stray pollen circling to the other side and back into the greenhouse. BAR's recent documentation of flowers opening boosted my confidence that I could time it right, thanks Reg!. In fact, no pollen dropped the first four days after bagging and bending. If anything I was a little early. The boys are still very much alive inside the bags. The first day there were a few drops of condensation inside the bags but I haven't seen any since. The male flowers are growing up towards the sky and dropping pollen. They were, of course, pointing down after the stem snap. Pretty cool. When I figure I have enough pollen I'll just cut the stem of the plant above the twist tie closure, isolate myself a good way away, open the bag and give the plant a shake, discard the plant, seal the bag, and disinfect myself really well. Easy money. I should have no trouble gathering up the pollen into the corner of the bag and transferring it to some little vials with a grain or two of rice in them as a desiccant.

20150824_170607.jpg

20150824_170617.jpg

20150824_170632.jpg

20150824_170647.jpg

Greenhouse update:

Finally temperatures have dropped. I was a bit flummoxed by the constant near record-high temperatures the last three weeks. I expect a gentler August. Oh well.

20150824_184033.jpg

This next picture is just here because one of the breeders is on the right and I decided it might be interesting to see the straight-up nature of the plant.

20150824_184153.jpg

Sage 'n Sour... Well, she dropped a ton of lower leaves in the last couple of weeks. I don't see any worsening of the nitrogen issue since the heavy top dressing with bonus high N guano. At least I don't think it has gotten worse. We will see moving forward. Really nice cola formation. Lots of 18" wands of nicely stacking budlins.

20150824_184232.jpg

20150824_184251.jpg

20150824_184255.jpg

20150824_184322.jpg

It's a little harder to see what is going on with pokey Ms. DarkStar due to a higher calyx to leaf ratio but it is also joining the stacking party.

20150824_184344.jpg

20150824_184357.jpg

20150824_184447.jpg

20150824_184451.jpg

DarkStar is throwing some resin.

20150824_184526.jpg

But not like the Sage n' Sour

20150824_184541.jpg

Tortoise and the Hare. I know who will become the resin queen in the end.

Indoor Update:

Day 45 of flower or so. I spent some time tying up stray DarkStar limbs this morning. Shut off the lights and snapped a few pictures when I was done.

The whole tent.

20150825_084254.jpg

The Cheese continues to bulk up with very heavy dense nuggets of trichome crusted goodness.

20150825_084417.jpg

20150825_084452.jpg

20150825_084615.jpg

20150825_084649.jpg

20150825_084732.jpg

20150825_084732b.jpg

20150825_084821.jpg

20150825_084921.jpg

Last week when I tied up all the heavy limbs I ended up removing a few low branches that had no where to go. I trimmed them down. I dried out a few good sized nugs and ran an extraction on the little stuff.

20150820_103448.jpg

20150822_090857.jpg

20150820_104341.jpg

It was more of a waste not want not thing than anything else but I was pleasantly surprised by the oil. Very tasty and potent. Yesterday I took one of the nugs over to a friend's place. We ran it through the grinder and packed it into a bowl. We were going to try out his recently harvested Jilly Bean after but we ended up too baked from the Cheese. :)

No, it doesn't taste that great three weeks early with no cure but it packs a pretty good wallop. I really like this DinaFem Cheese. Even those buds from down low in the shade are very dense.

Darkstar is coming along nicely.

20150825_084949.jpg

20150825_085008.jpg

20150825_085015.jpg

20150825_085045.jpg

20150825_085057-b.jpg

20150825_085057.jpg

About two more weeks for the Cheese. Four more for the DarkStar.

Just beautiful PJ as always.....:circle-of-love:
Ditto...

All Boys School is simply outside of the greenhouse in a space between it and the 48" high wall that makes the deck boundary. The fan filter combo dumps air out that side and takes air in from the other side. I decided that there wasn't much chance of stray pollen circling to the other side and back into the greenhouse. BAR's recent documentation of flowers opening boosted my confidence that I could time it right, thanks Reg!. In fact, no pollen dropped the first four days after bagging and bending. If anything I was a little early. The boys are still very much alive inside the bags. The first day there were a few drops of condensation inside the bags but I haven't seen any since. The male flowers are growing up towards the sky and dropping pollen. They were, of course, pointing down after the stem snap. Pretty cool. When I figure I have enough pollen I'll just cut the stem of the plant above the twist tie closure, isolate myself a good way away, open the bag and give the plant a shake, discard the plant, seal the bag, and disinfect myself really well. Easy money. I should have no trouble gathering up the pollen into the corner of the bag and transferring it to some little vials with a grain or two of rice in them as a desiccant.
Glad I could be of help to someone who's helped me out so much PJ.

Between your baggie technique and Woody's envelope tip I'm seeing ways to improve on and make it easier the next time I breed using the 24hr Isolation method.

I'm not sure Canna. Maybe someone has been sneaking in while I've been away for 3-4 days at a time and been feeding them elaborate tea preparations bubbled up in big messy buckets or extracted from sprouted grains, dumping coconut water and saponins on them? It's the only thing I can think of. It's like that story about the shoemaker and the elves...

I don't do much except water them and give them a weekly snack/treat. It has to be elves.

:ciao: Send those elves my way.

I'm not sure Canna. Maybe someone has been sneaking in while I've been away for 3-4 days at a time and been feeding them elaborate tea preparations bubbled up in big messy buckets or extracted from sprouted grains, dumping coconut water and saponins on them? It's the only thing I can think of. It's like that story about the shoemaker and the elves...

I don't do much except water them and give them a weekly snack/treat. It has to be elves.

You are just beyond cute you little snit. We love you too PeeJay, but we know you don't need our tree-hugging or tea-brewing ceremonies. You do quite well on your own. I don't remember any memo to the elves. :laughtwo:

You do nothing more to them other than trim? They're beautifully coiffed, looking rather professionally done, so big points on shaping such beautiful nuggs.

As far as trimming goes I have mad skills, Sue. I think it comes from the kitchen years. In high end environments the visual aesthetic is very important and considerable time is spent doing repetitive tasks. It doesn't only have to look good, it has to be done quickly and efficiently. Years and years of fussy close in work... My friends always ask me to come over and trim when they harvest.

20141013_134707.jpg

OG_nugs.jpg

ognug4.jpg

ognug01.jpg

P10300831.jpg

P1030084.jpg

P1030079.jpg

See the bud, Danny. Be... Be the bud, Danny. *snip snip snip*

Ditto...

Glad I could be of help to someone who's helped me out so much PJ.

Between your baggie technique and Woody's envelope tip I'm seeing ways to improve on and make it easier the next time I breed using the 24hr Isolation method.

Your timing was fantastic Reg and it was a big help. There seems to be a big irrational fear of pollen for those who haven't messed with it. I loved your carefree atitude. Now we wait and see if the whole greenhouse ends up a seeded mess... I think I'm ok. *fingers crossed*

Thanxx PJ but let's give credit where credit is due. Dusty Keifers gave me the idea when I was reading how he does only 24hrs of isolation on the flowering plants he pollinates. Since I already knew we can't pollinate photos in their Veg cycle the rest was just about timing.
It's amazing how we all get a little from here and a little from there, then theorize our own methods and put them into practice.

Lovely trim work by the way. Are those from recent harvests or when & what?

What a stunning page on a journal this is...stunning plants, wonderful learning examples, and real exquisite photography skills....out of the park excellence...tell me you don't use a cell phone....

Reg, what are the steps to JACK other people's photos like you did with wild abandon last year...can you email or post that?

PJ, can I have your permission to take a copy of a couple of your photos...I have a penchant for real clear close up trich shots.....they really speak to me....

Your explanation of how your herb appeal and visuals are so important are shown in spades....you have some wicked awesome skills, just off the chain and tough to beat...

Do you listen to music when you trim?

Back
Top Bottom