Rex's Perpetual Hydroponics, LED, 4x4 Tent Using TBC 10 Gal System: All Are Welcome, Come Learn & Help

are you leaving everything in the tiny baskets ?
Yup. I totally expect them to get ripped apart by roots. I've got around 50 more spare small net cups- they were originally bought for Kratky lettuce.
I've used them before,works great to start, then the plant chews threw them. I'll support the plants from the top of the cabinet when the need arises (it's made of plywood, a couple staples and string is quick and easy).

Though I'm retrospect- I'm kinda wishing I had just gone with Dutch buckets. I suppose I could always fill the buckets with perlite in paint strainer bags (both could be done fairly quickly as their on hand)...I'll save that as a last ditch option.

we have to get you a bigger system. i'm a bit turned around. didn't you mod a pre built with bigger baskets ?
i thought this was a cloner or starter.

we have to get you a bigger system. i'm a bit turned around. didn't you mod a pre built with bigger baskets ?
i thought this was a cloner or starter.
Ahh this grow is for a bit of a winter grow.
I resurrected my old small grow cabinet, removed the flood and drain setup and made this.

I do have my large system and 4x4 tent, but that won't be used again until spring.
Until I get my insulated grow rooms built in the garage, winter grows will have to take place in my old cabinet. It'd be too expensive to heat the entire garage for a 4x4 grow space.

Black duct tape?
I was thinking about that, I may try it. That or heater tank insulation wrap.

I was hoping that I had more panda film left out in the garage, but nope- none left. Worse case there's the 'old aluminum foil wrapping :laughtwo:

Worse case there's the 'old aluminum foil wrapping :laughtwo:
Haha, mini DWC bucket sending the greetings. Its wrapped in tin foil to prevent light penetration. Always works but thats just so….haha, just imagine some one wrappin buckets into tin foil :laugh: Someone could wonder if I’m afraid that roots getting radio active singnals.:rofl:

So...I haven't fixed the light proofing yet, that's awaiting funds (will happen asap). But I did have a very unpleasant surprise. Root rot :eek:. Its started.

I removed all three plants, had their roots a soak in a Hygrozyme solution with RO, then into a H202 soak with RO. Then returned to the system.

I then added some 29% h202 to the control bucket, and did a light (10ml) Hygrozyme refresh (I'm not at max dose yet) into the system. I also raised the water level in the system to its max.

When checking the next day, all three were perked up, roots are still a bit brown, but better. The Gorilla Glue Auto has yellowed lower leaves, and shell loose them. There is some yellowing progressing still, but it has slowed dramatically.

PPM is 412, and PH holding steady at 5.8. All buckets are sitting at a temp of 18-19C.
A slight rise of 3 PPM over a few days (a negligible amount).

When looking today, new white roots are popping out. All three plants are nice and perky, with only a slight droop.

I'll continue the treatment, but I'm not going to stress myself. While the jars are starting to get low (yeah I smoke a lot), I've still got some going.

And another new development. I popped my first two Photoperiod beans, and will be starting two mother plants. One bean popped up yesterday, and another was sewn into a rapid rooter today. They're regular Photoperiod, so two seeds were done to double the odds of a female. These will be for the summer grow, and will be kept in soil:nervous-guy::laughtwo:

I'll share a few photos of the Gorilla Glue Auto over the last few days.

20220130_155241.jpg

Here you can see the damage progressing.

20220131_112230.jpg

And a touch of rot starting on the roots
20220131_112251.jpg

And today:
20220201_111621.jpg

With some fresh new, healthy roots started.
20220201_111628.jpg

The Wappa auto had a touch of it as well, but not nearly so bad. And the Blackberry Auto seems healthy and growing out fine.

It's still early in the grow, and if it really comes down to it I can cull replace and get things back on track quickly.

I'll give them a week or so, and decide then.

That's all for now, thanks everyone and I hope you all have great weeks!!

So...I haven't fixed the light proofing yet, that's awaiting funds (will happen asap). But I did have a very unpleasant surprise. Root rot :eek:. Its started.

I removed all three plants, had their roots a soak in a Hygrozyme solution with RO, then into a H202 soak with RO. Then returned to the system.

I then added some 29% h202 to the control bucket, and did a light (10ml) Hygrozyme refresh (I'm not at max dose yet) into the system. I also raised the water level in the system to its max.

When checking the next day, all three were perked up, roots are still a bit brown, but better. The Gorilla Glue Auto has yellowed lower leaves, and shell loose them. There is some yellowing progressing still, but it has slowed dramatically.

PPM is 412, and PH holding steady at 5.8. All buckets are sitting at a temp of 18-19C.

When looking today, new white roots are popping out. All three plants are nice and perky, with only a slight droop.

I'll continue the treatment, but I'm not going to stress myself. While the jars are starting to get low (yeah I smoke a lot), I've still got some going.

And another new development. I popped my first two Photoperiod beans, and will be starting two mother plants. One bean popped up yesterday, and another was sewn into a rapid rooter today. They're regular Photoperiod, so two seeds were done to double the odds of a female. These will be for the summer grow, and will be kept in soil:nervous-guy::laughtwo:

I'll share a few photos of the Gorilla Glue Auto over the last few days.

20220130_155241.jpg

Here you can see the damage progressing.

20220131_112230.jpg

And a touch of rot starting on the roots
20220131_112251.jpg

And today:
20220201_111621.jpg

With some fresh new, healthy roots started.
20220201_111628.jpg

The Wappa auto had a touch of it as well, but not nearly so bad. And the Blackberry Auto seems healthy and growing out fine.

It's still early in the grow, and if it really comes down to it I can cull replace and get things back on track quickly.

I'll give them a week or so, and decide then.

That's all for now, thanks everyone and I hope you all have great weeks!!
Tough break buddy. Even with my Rot set in I never had any leaves discolored. It’s a wonder how quick rot can set in, even after only a week or so. I’m going to have to figure out a good method of light proofing as well. I just need to figure out a material.

Tough break buddy. Even with my Rot set in I never had any leaves discolored. It’s a wonder how quick rot can set in, even after only a week or so. I’m going to have to figure out a good method of light proofing as well. I just need to figure out a material.
Thanks Venturisix!
It was bound to happen to me sooner or later. It was just my turn :).

I'm fairly confident that they're salvageable, and I think/hope I've gotten a handle on it.

Considering that the system is already put together, the awkwardness of the small space will limit my materials. I think Shed called it correctly- black duct tape for the win. I'll hit up my local hardware store to see if there's something better, if not I'll tape 'em up.

An ideal solution would be a hot water tank blanket. Tape/glue it to the exterior of the buckets. It will block light, and help reduce the workload on the chiller. There's other similar materials that are insulated and will block light, solve two problems with one solution!

Heh amigo—sorry to read about the root rot. That totally sucks so I'm glad that you caught it early and it sounds like you're getting it turned around.

I've been thinking about what to grow next and "Great minds think alike". :) I've got seeds for three strains of photos + one package with 4 GG autos. I'm going with the GG's - autos are just so easy re. lighting that I'm going to go with the GG's.

So, this will be a bit of a long read. Feel free to skip this post, it's for informational purposes on a new(er) product that I'll be trying out.

It’s called Microbial Mass

Screenshot_20220201-163309_Drive.jpg

The below was taken from microbe wiki (mostly):

Bacillus velezensis U47 &U57

Bacillus velezensis is an aerobic, gram-positive, endospore-forming bacterium that promotes plant growth. Numerous strains of this species have been reported to suppress the growth of microbial pathogens, including bacteria, fungi, and nematodes

Bacillus licheniformis U35

Bacillus licheniformis forms spores in soil. A pathway that leads to endospore formation is initiated when the bacterium is starved. Endospore formation is actually desired and serves as a great example of prokaryotic development and differentiation. These spores are quite tolerant of heat, cold, radiation, and other environmental stresses. Under good conditions, the spores will germinate and produce vegetative cells. (8)
B. licheniformis produces a variety of extracellular enzymes that are associated with the cycling of nutrients in nature. It is an apathogenic soil organism that is mostly associated with plant and plant materials in nature. Although it is most common to isolate this bacterium from is soil, it is believed that B. licheniformis can actually be isolated from practically anywhere since it produces highly resistant endospores that are spread around with dust.

Bacillus megaterium U48 & U49

Bacillus megaterium is a gram positive, endospore forming, rod shaped bacteria. It is considered aerobic. It is found in soil and considered a saprophyte.
Bacillus megaterium is latin for the big beast because it is an extremely large bacteria, it is about 100 times as large as E. coli. Due to its immense size, about 60 micrometers cubed, B. megaterium has been used to study structure, protein localization and membranes of bacteria since the 1950’s. Most notably, B. megaterium is the organism that was used by Lwoff and Guttman in the studies that discovered lysogeny.

And From a different source on same (
Bacillus megaterium )

Accumulating evidence indicates that plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) influence plant growth and development by the production of phytohormones such as auxins, gibberellins, and cytokinins. Little is known on the genetic basis and signal transduction components that mediate the beneficial effects of PGPRs in plants. We recently reported the identification of a Bacillus megaterium strain that promoted growth of A. thaliana and P. vulgaris seedlings. In this addendum, the role of cytokinin signaling in mediating the plant responses to bacterial inoculation was investigated using A. thaliana mutants lacking one, two or three of the putative cytokinin receptors CRE1, AHK2 and AHK3, and RPN12 a gene involved in cytokinin signaling. We show that plant growth promotion by B. megaterium is reduced in AHK2-2 single and double mutant combinations and in RPN12. Furthermore, the triple cytokinin-receptor CRE1-12/AHK2-2/AHK3-3 knockout was insensitive to inoculation in terms of growth promotion and root developmental responses. Our results indicate that cytokinin receptors play a complimentary role in plant growth promotion by B. megaterium.

Oof! Good catch and nice recovery. It looks a lot better after the fix. :thumb:
Thanks, hopefully she/they pull through. I've got other seeds, and I'd rather have a cull at the beginning then mid way.
I'm a little confused. Do you mean mother plants that stay in veg and you use them for clones or plants you'll flower outside that you'll be taking cuttings from?
Yup. They will stay in veg, permanently (or until I kill them :laughtwo:, or grow them out).
I'll take cuttings for clones off them and any other mother plants I decide on.
Moving forward I'll be growing a combination of autos and photos, indoors and outdoors (during summer).
Once I get my two grow rooms built, one will be for Photoperiods, the other for autos.

Tough break on the root root but you handed it well and they are already looking much better!
I only did 4 runs growing Dwc and I had root root on pretty much every run in the early going, I used black buckets and had the proper root treatments and still couldn’t get away from it! Everything did work out in the end but those starts grrr!

Congrats on the new photo beans! Looking forward to what those new beans turn out to be.

Tough break on the root root but you handed it well and they are already looking much better!
Thanks N420. I think I'd have a much different attitude on it if I were mid flower. And truth is, it's my fault for not being 100% light proof.
I only did 4 runs growing Dwc and I had root root on pretty much every run in the early going, I used black buckets and had the proper root treatments and still couldn’t get away from it! Everything did work out in the end but those starts grrr!
Oh thats terrible luck, were you ever able to figure out what caused it?
Congrats on the new photo beans! Looking forward to what those new beans turn out to be.
Thanks, one male and one female in a perfect world- but hopefully not two males :laughtwo:

Hi Rex!
Good read about Bacillus

the triple cytokinin-receptor CRE1-12/AHK2-2/AHK3-3 knockout was insensitive to inoculation in terms of growth promotion and root developmental responses. Our results indicate that cytokinin receptors play a complimentary role in plant growth promotion by B. megaterium.
Once again we get to the auxins and cytokinins.
…And I’m still mumbling about these Kelp’s as a natural PGR’s. :D
Yesterday I bought RAW’s Kelp extract and it is very concentrated form of Ascophyllum nodosum. 1/16 tsp per gallon.
24A73FDE-EFA7-49A5-9427-692BAB6EC825.jpeg

Even the store owner told me if you overdo this Kelp it inhibits the growth. I’ll explain this later, and my point of view in my journo todays update.
As this further supports my vision:
Our results indicate that cytokinin receptors play a complimentary role in plant growth promotion by B. megaterium

Hi Rex!
Good read about Bacillus

Once again we get to the auxins and cytokinins.
…And I’m still mumbling about these Kelp’s as a natural PGR’s. :D
Yesterday I bought RAW’s Kelp extract and it is very concentrated form of Ascophyllum nodosum. 1/16 tsp per gallon.
24A73FDE-EFA7-49A5-9427-692BAB6EC825.jpeg

Even the store owner told me if you overdo this Kelp it inhibits the growth. I’ll explain this later, and my point of view in my journo todays update.
As this further supports my vision:
I've been eyeing that one for some time now. And I knew that PGPR mention would catch your eyes.
Great save Rex!
Thanks StoneOtter, not quite out of the woods yet- but hope is on the horizon!

A quick peak at what's going on. I did a bump last night to see how they'd react. And to rule out their being under fed. The Wappa has a bit of nute burn showing today. So yup, I'll be lowering that back down Pronto. I'll be doing a reservoir change out later today, and the hard part right now is figuring what PPM to come at them with.
I'm going to aim for approx 350-400 PPM on this batch. It's a bit on the lower side, but hopefully it'll spark their appetite.

Here's a few photos showing the current state of them.

The Gorilla Glue
20220203_152836.jpg

20220203_152859.jpg

The Wappa Auto
20220203_152845.jpg

20220203_152911.jpg

And the Blackberry Auto
20220203_152838.jpg

20220203_152924.jpg

Back
Top Bottom