Wow @Rexer ! I read through all 26 pages of this and wow - you have totally rocked this grow!

I may have missed it, but what's the recipe for pm?
Rex hooked you up with all the links, but since some folks prefer to have it in front of them:

Here is my recipe, and you can scale it up or down based on how much you need:
5g citric acid
500ml distilled water
10 pipette drops dish soap
Mix well and spray, preferably first thing in the morning before the sun will be on the plant. If not, late in the day so it can evaporate before nightfall but not burn in the heat of the day.
Make sure you get the whole plant as PM can hide between the buds and the branch.

For the record, 10 pipette drops of dish soap works out to a little less than 1ml in 1500ml of water (or .3ml per 500ml).

For my bud washing, I just used a 1% solution (no soap and with tap water) based on how much water was in the bucket (4 gallons = 15142ml, so that would take 151g of citric acid. I mixed that up with the baking soda (.5-.75 cups/5 gallon bucket) for the wash water. Rinse buckets are plain tap.

Drought update:

As promised for tonight, trichome pictures of the Somango pre-drought and tonight's LWA picture.

Drought update:

As promised for tonight, trichome pictures of the Somango pre-drought and tonight's LWA picture.

God I can't wait. Also, that same bud from a different angle and without the angle overlay is BOTM territory. The crystal on that thing! The Somango trichs are already no joke. Nice. Already getting amber here and there too, is that when you drought for best effect? When you see the first sign of amber and the trich window is just now opening? Also, sorry if I missed it, how many days are you droughting for? The break might be nice, lol, all you gotta do is take pictures and post, right? Nothing at all to the plants for the next however many days? No action in any reservoir or whatever? Everything stops? Sorry for so many questions, I'm so curious how you're pulling this off.

God I can't wait. Also, that same bud from a different angle and without the angle overlay is BOTM territory. The crystal on that thing! The Somango trichs are already no joke. Nice.
Thanks Jon! The amount of Trichomes on it are beautiful, I'm really looking forward to trying it! Since you had a few questions, I'll break them down so I don't miss any.
Already getting amber here and there too, is that when you drought for best effect?
Ideally, I believe that @Maritimer said 3 weeks prior to harvest. Ill touch back on this below.
When you see the first sign of amber and the trich window is just now opening? Also, sorry if I missed it, how many days are you droughting for?
it's less about the number of days, vs the Leaf Wilt Angle (LWA) to my understanding. Your looking for a change of 50% in the LWA.
The break might be nice, lol, all you gotta do is take pictures and post, right?
For the Somango, pretty much. That and pop open a free app called Image Meter, then I just drag the bars to get the LWA photo, screenshot it (cause I'm cheap), and upload.
Today I went ahead and opened up the Bruce Banner Auto more, and tomorrow I'll start trimming the White Berry Auto fans.
Nothing at all to the plants for the next however many days? No action in any reservoir or whatever? Everything stops? Sorry for so many questions, I'm so curious how you're pulling this off.
So with the way I have my system, all I had to do was flip a valve on the line that feeds the Somango, and she's isolated from the reservoir. See photo below.

The original plan was to use the Bruce Banner Auto, who unfortunately got the PM. With her out of the equation and my misjudgment on the harvest finish times (you were right and called it), I can't say that this truly is the drought experiment that is being carried out. I don't think it'll be three weeks before she's ready.

Here's the flip side of the coin. When doing indoors in soil, Maritimer had an average of 11 days to get his 50% LWA. With this medium, coupled with the low humidity I'm keeping it at...I think it's safe to say the Somango will be droughted much faster.

And while it's not the three weeks that the drought should be done prior to; it'll still be data that will help for the next drought I do. And hopefully that one will be done correctly. And it's still gonna be fun to see.

Thanks Jon! The amount of Trichomes on it are beautiful, I'm really looking forward to trying it! Since you had a few questions, I'll break them down so I don't miss any.

Ideally, I believe that @Maritimer said 3 weeks prior to harvest. Ill touch back on this below.

it's less about the number of days, vs the Leaf Wilt Angle (LWA) to my understanding. Your looking for a change of 50% in the LWA.

For the Somango, pretty much. That and pop open a free app called Image Meter, then I just drag the bars to get the LWA photo, screenshot it (cause I'm cheap), and upload.
Today I went ahead and opened up the Bruce Banner Auto more, and tomorrow I'll start trimming the White Berry Auto fans.

So with the way I have my system, all I had to do was flip a valve on the line that feeds the Somango, and she's isolated from the reservoir. See photo below.

The original plan was to use the Bruce Banner Auto, who unfortunately got the PM. With her out of the equation and my misjudgment on the harvest finish times (you were right and called it), I can't say that this truly is the drought experiment that has been carried out. I don't think it'll be three weeks before she's ready.

Here's the flip side of the coin. When doing indoors in soil, Maritimer had an average of 11 days to get his 50% LWA. With this medium, coupled with the low humidity I'm keeping it at...I think it's safe to say the Somango will be droughted much faster.

And while it's not the three weeks that the drought should be done prior to; it'll still be data that will help for the next drought I do. And hopefully that one will be done correctly. And it's still gonna be fun to see.
Thanks for the detailed answers. Nice setup, each plant as easy to cut off as that eh? Sweet. Yeah, if you got three weeks more from that Somango I'd be shocked. Still, as you say, data for next time, and also, the drought is still going to make the plant defend itself no matter what. You should still see a trich uptick, for sure I would think, yes? I mean I guess that's the idea, lol.

Thanks for the detailed answers. Nice setup, each plant as easy to cut off as that eh? Sweet. Yeah, if you got three weeks more from that Somango I'd be shocked. Still, as you say, data for next time, and also, the drought is still going to make the plant defend itself no matter what. You should still see a trich uptick, for sure I would think, yes? I mean I guess that's the idea, lol.
Anytime- thank you for the questions!
Yup each bucket can be turned off and removed.
And with the hydro part it's kinda uncharted territory (as far as I know).
So hopefully there will still be some more trichomes coming as a result.
And while even if this isn't a true run of the drought experiment (and I'm kicking myself there), at least I've figured out an app, and way to upload it to here free to make it easier for those who also want to try.
So I did contribute :cheesygrinsmiley:

Anytime- thank you for the questions!
Yup each bucket can be turned off and removed.
And with the hydro part it's kinda uncharted territory (as far as I know).
So hopefully there will still be some more trichomes coming as a result.
And while even if this isn't a true run of the drought experiment (and I'm kicking myself there), at least I've figured out an app, and way to upload it to here free to make it easier for those who also want to try.
So I did contribute :cheesygrinsmiley:
LOL. As if your contributions are ever in question, are you joking?!! You da MAN, Rex. As we say in Phlly.

Ahoy There,
So to not confuse me, please bare with me.
In the photo # 1149 your Turgid leaf wilt angle TLWA was measured at 60@.
After 24 hours drought photo # 258 LWA was measured at 57@.

So after some drought your measurement says the plant is even more turgid (praying hands). To be clear at 60@ TLWA your target for 50% change is LWA 90@. Keep your shots the same distance as much as possible. With this clear view this should be a breeze.

Can you do a morning update? Long time waiting nervous for updates.
After all, your on the dark side of the moon. :love:

I'll relocate a wyze camera to it tomorrow.
This will take care of ensuring a consistent angle for the remaining photos. I'll try and get out there earlier to mount the camera and update the photo.

Ahoy There,
So to not confuse me, please bare with me.
In the photo # 1149 your Turgid leaf wilt angle TLWA was measured at 60@.
After 24 hours drought photo # 258 LWA was measured at 57@.

So after some drought your measurement says the plant is even more turgid (praying hands). To be clear at 60@ TLWA your target for 50% change is LWA 90@. Keep your shots the same distance as much as possible. With this clear view this should be a breeze.

Can you do a morning update? Long time waiting nervous for updates.
After all, your on the dark side of the moon. :love:
So the problem of having a consistent photo has been solved. An easier fix that should have come to me earlier. A simple pencil mark on the scrog Frame to indicate where to rest the phone for the picture. I don't think well when I'm in pain, and I've been running myself hard the last week

The LWA measurement is where I'm having some technical difficulty. The app makes it a simple drag and drop. But to get the three points for the angle perfect, is actually harder then it looks. Don't believe me? Download the picture, download the Image Meter app and try.

I moved the camera to try and get it into a spot that would make the morning photos better, quicker and more consistent. I'm calling that a fail. The camera has no spot to mount to and get the photos at a proper angle. I mounted it to the pole in that corner of the tent and will use it to help document the drought. It's a new time lapse project now for that camera.

The wilt is visible now to the naked eye this morning.

I'll upload two or three pictures a day for the drought, one with and one without my measurements, to help somebody double check.... any volunteers?

Proper update tonight... or tomorrow. My body is not happy with me today.

Ahoy There!
Leaf Wilt Measurements from the Wheelhouse :hookah:

Sorry mate but we be watching a totally different leaf. Your doing fine but we like the next node down left side ferin the records. Keep these same shots coming and were be chartin the course. Keep the crew dry as she has a ways to go. Yar gonna get a promotion after this is over I reckon. Then ya can call me dave.

Image 258 next node down on left TLWA = 73 degrees.

Image 639 same lower node LWA = 83 degrees

Target 50% of 73 = 109 degrees of wilt.

dave's not here man

they're grabbing for the edges like clinging to a cliff.
easy on the N.

pretty otherwise. beauty grow.

Ahoy There!
Leaf Wilt Measurements from the Wheelhouse :hookah:

Sorry mate but we be watching a totally different leaf. Your doing fine but we like the next node down left side ferin the records. Keep these same shots coming and were be chartin the course. Keep the crew dry as she has a ways to go. Yar gonna get a promotion after this is over I reckon. Then ya can call me dave.

Image 258 next node down on left TLWA = 73 degrees.

Image 639 same lower node LWA = 83 degrees

Target 50% of 73 = 109 degrees of wilt.
This leaf?
Screenshot_20211105-121835_Gallery.jpg

The reason I didn't select that one is there is a cola just out of view, that it would be able to rest against and skew the measurements. I'll see If I can do some rearrangements when I go back out there tonight to make it more viable.

dave's not here man

they're grabbing for the edges like clinging to a cliff.
easy on the N.

pretty otherwise. beauty grow.
Thanks bluter! This one had a much better start then the last grow.

Yeah the Somango Auto has been facing some N toxicity for a bit. It's now in the chronic category lol. The other two plants seemed happy with the level of N and despite reducing nitrogen, the Somango didn't fully snap out of it. So I went with majority rules to keep it simple- 2/3 plants were good with the N level. The joys of three different strains/cultivars and one common reservoir (and never having grown any of these cultivars before).

I will say though, that Somango is the most dense bud I've grown yet.

This leaf?

Yeah the Somango Auto has been facing some N toxicity for a bit. It's now in the chronic category lol. The other two plants seemed happy with the level of N and despite reducing nitrogen, the Somango didn't fully snap out of it. So I went with majority rules to keep it simple- 2/3 plants were good with the N level. The joys of three different strains/cultivars and one common reservoir (and never having grown any of these cultivars before)

i do the same. i grow multiple strains and try to shoot for common ground on nute levels.
sometimes one or two just won't work with you as much as you'd like

using organic based nutes and / or jack's or MC helps a long way but it's still a dance. i mostly let the dicey ones ride it out.

not applicable here, but if you are hand water passive, you can dilute the mix a touch to help it a little.

This leaf?
Screenshot_20211105-121835_Gallery.jpg

The reason I didn't select that one is there is a cola just out of view, that it would be able to rest against and skew the measurements. I'll see If I can do some rearrangements when I go back out there tonight to make it more viable.

I am watching both sets. If you can deny the resting point that would be great. The decay of turgidness is not a linear wilt. You could slow down a bit, or wilt could speed up and you will have hit target wilt by morning tomorrow. We want her to put up a little fight before she relents to the lack of moisture that demands her full attention. The question will be does she have enough time to make the changes in hormone synthesis that effect the JA pathways. I think it is possible, possibly even a probability. The recovery period will take on a new importance that I will explain later.
Yep, thats the one
Looking great

Back
Top Bottom