rarely do we have toxicity events, including damaging salts builtups, however a build can, as I said, rarely, and depending on the fertilizers used, experience a nute lockout. I'm experiencing one right with working theory being that I added far too much transplant bennies material and supporting substances, having a deleterious effect on pH to the point that it is raised beyond the point that growth would have failed almost certainly. But as I said, it's a working theory anyway, specifically, that the excessive and successive inoculation of the matrix months beforehand with NKP RAW Brand Beneficial Bacteria. My working theory is a pH spike capable of overcoming normal growth.

I hope to reset things with a flush, with ionized pH-matched water - the preferred corrective product.

I found the use of Green Leaf Brand MegaCrop and MegaCrop 2 part plus SweetCandy products very satisfactory, and my repetitive excessive experience with them gives me a great deal of confidence that these products are not where I expect to find the error.
Thanks for the clarification - with forums/reddit posts I come across of people being told to flush for build-up/lockout I was under the impression this was a common issue with salts.

I was looking mainly at Athena and Jacks but I will look into MegaCrop. What do you like about that over others?

Hello sipr’s hope 2024 is being good to you so far!!! I was totally unprepared for this harvest especially being around the holidays but im making the best of it the first round was super dried out had 2 fans pointing on the rack which was too small might i add lol the second round was better 3rd round ive actually got it in the tent as i finally finished cutting the last off her bones and cleaning the tent out and lifting the lights….finally got a look at the root system and there were feeders everywhere the bottom was so wet what do you all use to wack these big stems and stalks i broke my first pair of shears during the first round
IMG_2223.jpeg
IMG_2227.jpeg
IMG_2229.jpeg
IMG_2228.jpeg
IMG_2214.jpeg
IMG_2220.jpeg
IMG_2219.jpeg
IMG_2221.jpeg
WooHoo! She was a busy one! I use a next size up garden shear to cut the mains. One for roses maybe at the garden store. They're not handy for a pic now sorry.
I'm in the Bud Bunker doing my daily routine and I thought I would put this out there for the ones that have seen the issues I've had with my Bokashi soil.
I have 2 grows going, 1 in a SIP and 1 in a bag. I think I might have figured out the burning tips.. I went to camp and got some fresh forest floor and mixed in about 25% ff with the Bokashi soil when I set the SIP up, and i only have 1 leaf showing any signs of burn.
With any luck it fixes the issue.
A few pics of the SIP side of the Bunker.

IMG_20240105_052305.jpg

IMG_20240105_052209.jpg

IMG_20240105_052202.jpg

IMG_20240105_052155.jpg
Alright! Always good to see new growth come in better!

If this isn't welcome here please feel free to remove it, but sometimes it's not always about the meds.
I'm kinda liking this whole SIP growing so much that we are changing a few of the house plants up.
You all turned me into a SIPoholic💚

IMG_20240106_091557.jpg
Ha! Love it! :green_heart:

I've done the same. Was very surprised to see that aloe absolutely loves these pots, as do holiday cactus. And tomato plants out in the garden. I'm on a quest to find a plant that doesn't like it.

Funny you should say that BB I put a apple seed from a store bought in with my plant and it sprouted ended up putting it outside only 2-3 months old and been in freezing temp a few times but just stays health and drinking too , green leaves for winter is not reg. around here .

Funny you should say that BB I put a apple seed from a store bought in with my plant and it sprouted ended up putting it outside only 2-3 months old and been in freezing temp a few times but just stays health and drinking too , green leaves for winter is not reg. around here .
Unfortunately, apples don't grow true from seed, and most are grafted onto a different root stock so whatever you're growing won't be the type of fruit you started with. That and it's like 5-7 years before first fruit.

Fun nonetheless. :thumb:

Unfortunately, apples don't grow true from seed, and most are grafted onto a different root stock so whatever you're growing won't be the type of fruit you started with. That and it's like 5-7 years before first fruit.

Fun nonetheless. :thumb:
If the seed came from the apple, why would it grow the root stock instead of the apple tree? A clone cutting would probably be root stock, but the seeds too?

If the seed came from the apple, why would it grow the root stock instead of the apple tree? A clone cutting would probably be root stock, but the seeds too?
It doesn't. Apples aren't really stable. Any variety you get at the store is the result of cloning via grafts.
Any time they're pollinated and grown from seed you can't be sure what the apples will be like, and there's enough genetic diversity that it's unlikely you'll get anything like the apple the seed came from.
Given the investment in growing an orchard you'd really want a sure return on your investment.

The seed itself will grow an apple tree with some phenotype expression of the parents of the plant that fruited but as Mel said it's a total crapshoot as to whether you get something worth eating and you won't know that until it fruits which takes many years. They just don't come true from seed.

Good tasting apple tops are generally grafted onto a rootstock known for its vigor, disease tolerance, cold tolerance etc. Those rootstocks themselves will grow apples that don't taste very good. There are several standard rootstocks commonly used depending on the traits wanted, so a different rootstock for say Upstate NY from one used in the Carolina's.

So by marrying a good tasting apple top to a hardy rootstock you get the best of both worlds, but they have to be produced by grafting. Same with peaches, pears, oranges, lemons, etc. All of which share the same issues as apples.

The seed itself will grow an apple tree with some phenotype expression of the parents of the plant that fruited but as Mel said it's a total crapshoot as to whether you get something worth eating and you won't know that until it fruits which takes many years. They just don't come true from seed.

Good tasting apple tops are generally grafted onto a rootstock known for its vigor, disease tolerance, cold tolerance etc. Those rootstocks themselves will grow apples that don't taste very good. There are several standard rootstocks commonly used depending on the traits wanted, so a different rootstock for say Upstate NY from one used in the Carolina's.

So by marrying a good tasting apple top to a hardy rootstock you get the best of both worlds, but they have to be produced by grafting. Same with peaches, pears, oranges, lemons, etc. All of which share the same issues as apples.
Curiouser and curiouser...:nomo:
I'm now a quarter mile below the earth's surface... down a deep dark Rabbit-hole. 🐰
Man made fruits, tree grafting, dwarf species, root stocks... all very interesting.
I'm going deeper.
I may meet the Queen of hearts and the Cheshire cat 😸 before I resurface from this hole. I'll certainly have spent a couple hundred bucks before it's over. (Already got a Stark Saturn Peach tree and a Dwarf Clementine in my Amazon cart. ) 🍑🍊

Curiouser and curiouser...:nomo:
I'm now a quarter mile below the earth's surface... down a deep dark Rabbit-hole. 🐰
Man made fruits, tree grafting, dwarf species, root stocks... all very interesting.
I'm going deeper.
I may meet the Queen of hearts and the Cheshire cat 😸 before I resurface from this hole. I'll certainly have spent a couple hundred bucks before it's over. (Already got a Stark Saturn Peach tree and a Dwarf Clementine in my Amazon cart. ) 🍑🍊
That's another use of the rootstock, final size of tree, from dwarf, semi-dwarf, standard, etc.

Any of the commercial trees you'd purchase are grafted. If you look closely at the trunk you can often see the graft a bit above the soil line. Any suckers produced below the graft bump will be from the rootstock, those above from the desired tree.

As mentioned, the root stock is chosen for the traits it will give to the tree. Choosing for the ability to survive winter conditions is a common reason for choosing specific root stock seedlings.

The fun thing to think about is that the variety of apple chosen will produce fruit to match for years. It will only produce the apple (fruit) if pollinated. But the flower has to be pollinated by a different type of apple and not one that matches the tree since apples do not self-pollinate. So, if growing a Fuji apple tree, all the fruit will be Fuji apples with the quality depending on the chosen scion (a hardwood cutting to be used for grafting or cloning) cut from the original tree and the selected root stock. For the most part the tree providing the pollen can be any apple variety but certain varieties are better than others. If the right pollinating apple tree is chosen then pollination is more successful meaning more fruit grows meaning a larger or heavier harvest.

There are volunteer groups walking the mature forests and abandoned woodlots looking for old apple orchards, preferably those from the later 1800s. They want to find heirloom varieties than might have been lost or looking for preferred heirloom varieties to be used for future scion stock for grafting.

It doesn't. Apples aren't really stable. Any variety you get at the store is the result of cloning via grafts.
Any time they're pollinated and grown from seed you can't be sure what the apples will be like, and there's enough genetic diversity that it's unlikely you'll get anything like the apple the seed came from.
Given the investment in growing an orchard you'd really want a sure return on your investment.
I very much dislike most of the store apples... too sweet for me... I'll take some snappy, sour, tart garden apple any day although yes you have to get lucky with the tree you get as you do want a bit of sweetness and sometimes the tartness can be way of the scale, or the consistency of the apple flesh can be very poor, but I feel in old gardens here well they would keep the ones that were good and not the ones that were bleh.

I was always told one of the big reasons it's hard to find old school fruits of high stemmed trees and for grafting all sorts of things that can be grafted is insurance, worker safety and time and money of course as well working with real trees is a pita compared to a neat row at picking height.

As mentioned, the root stock is chosen for the traits it will give to the tree. Choosing for the ability to survive winter conditions is a common reason for choosing specific root stock seedlings.

The fun thing to think about is that the variety of apple chosen will produce fruit to match for years. It will only produce the apple (fruit) if pollinated. But the flower has to be pollinated by a different type of apple and not one that matches the tree since apples do not self-pollinate. So, if growing a Fuji apple tree, all the fruit will be Fuji apples with the quality depending on the chosen scion (a hardwood cutting to be used for grafting or cloning) cut from the original tree and the selected root stock. For the most part the tree providing the pollen can be any apple variety but certain varieties are better than others. If the right pollinating apple tree is chosen then pollination is more successful meaning more fruit grows meaning a larger or heavier harvest.

There are volunteer groups walking the mature forests and abandoned woodlots looking for old apple orchards, preferably those from the later 1800s. They want to find heirloom varieties than might have been lost or looking for preferred heirloom varieties to be used for future scion stock for grafting.
There was also a group working to preserve the wild apples in central Asia, primarily Kazakhstan. They're trying to preserve genetic diversity and prevent problems like what happened to bananas.
Kind of like projects to preserve landrace cannabis.

They're trying to preserve genetic diversity and prevent problems like what happened to bananas.
Bananas, probably the most successful cloning project ever attempted by humans. It might not be the best project for survival of the particular strain but certainly successful as far as having a goal and achieving it with clones.

Back
Top Bottom