lootznbootz

Hello, welcome and THANK YOU!​

I tossed the idea around in my head a bit then after discussing it with a friend,
we came up with a name (while smoking and talking about the grow) and decided it was worth the effort.

This journal will be much like my other current journal except it will be focused Solely on Suzanne our Purple Bubba Kush from greenpointseeds
Here is the rundown of the setup

What strain is it? Purple Bubba Kush
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Mostly Indica
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg Day 18
If in Veg... For how long? Day 18 above ground
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
If indoor...Dimensions (L x W x D) of grow space? 2'x4'x'70"
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Roots Organic Original
If soil... What size pot? 2.5Gal DIY SIP
Size of light? 2 150w A/C Infinity IONboards (This may change as our grows progress)
Temp of Room/cab? 78F
RH of Room/cab? 54%
PH of media or res? have not checked as of yet
Any Pests ? fungus gnats
How often are you watering? Top watering Nutrients at feed times otherwise topping off res after water level drops
Type and strength of ferts used? Roots Organic Bottles

Here is Suzanne today at DAY 18 ABOVE GROUND
IMG_1840.jpg
IMG_1841.jpg

To put into perspective on how special Suzanne is look at her counterparts in the picture to the right.
Both the plants in 1Gal pots to the left of her came above ground the same day as her (top) and a day after her (bottom)
The only difference being that after a Rapid Rooter Suzanne went into a SIP the others went into Solo cups.

Since then, the waterings, feedings, care, love and attention have been the same.
The results have not!

Now that you understand why your here let's go over how exactly we got here.
Of course, you could go catch up on my Current Journal in order to do so in greater detail.

As I said today is Day 18 above ground

She was started in a shot glass on 11/23
IMG_1313.jpg

She went into a rapid rooter after a tap popped and came above ground on 11/26
728A7BDF-7EE3-4C92-8338-31D19BD57ED9.jpg

She went into her SIP bucket on 11/29
IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

She immediately took off and quickly outpaced the others with ease!

For a write up of how I put my SIP together it is on Page 2 of my current journal.
IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

In this photo you can see none of the plants started the same day as her are near her size or maturity.
IMG_1712.jpg

Until now she has only received 1 feeding. And has only received water with either SNS or plain R/O.
I did add a mosquito dunk to the res to fight the fungus gnats we've had since we opened the bag.
They've been a bother but haven't caused too much trouble other than a nuisance.
But I am determined to rid them from my garden.

Suzanne has an impressive amount of under growth.
She went untrained even LST until 12/12. I tucked her largest fan leaves under to allow for the first 2 nodes to continue their impressive growth.
Then 12/13 I topped her and cut those largest fan leaves off, also tucking the now largest fan leaves to allow more light at the top 2 nodes.

The Plan is to do a quadline on her only I will be waiting to cut the first 2 nodes off until I can clone them.
This journal will follow Suzanne and her clones to harvest.

If your familiar with my other journal, I have multiple tents.
I think to be fair to the new equipment and really see this thing through Suzanne will stay in the 2x4 AC tent all the way until harvest.
And because of her size already that tent will be flipping over on her schedule.
I am trying to start a perpetual cycle and Suzanne has stepped up to be the first of what will be many runs with her.

I have also decided that it's obvious Suzanne (This pheno of Purple Bubba Kush) really likes this SIP.
So, the clones we take from her will also be put into SIP's that are yet to be built.
I really enjoy my design and will build more, but I do like a few other nuances that I've seen in other builds here on 420 and plan to incorporate them into my own design and possibly replicate other builds all together.

I have a few more pictures to Upload but have hit my limit with this post.
So, the following will be pictures to show where we are at currently.

My hope is to use this journal as a way to highlight and document my growing experiences using a SIP and add to the Library of knowledge here on 420 with this method.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Don't feel obligated to catch up on my other journal just ask away here!

As always Thank you for your time and Thanks for stopping by!

Here is My write up on how I made Suzannes SIP

***********************************************SIP BUCKET*******************************************

First,
I measured and cut the hole in the bottom of what will be our top bucket.
I traced the net cup on the bottom of the bucket, then made a couple of marks indicating 1/4" inside the circle I traced. (Ignore the outermost line)
IMG_1402.jpg

I didn't have a big enough hole saw with me so I made a few holes with the one I had and the carefully cut the rest of the way with a razorblade.

IMG_1403.jpg

In the end you just want it snug so less is more.

IMG_1404 - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

Next, I measured the height of my net cup and cut that much off of my PVC. I then cut the piece in half lengthwise.

IMG_1406 - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg

Next, Secure these pieces opposite each other in the bottom of the bottom bucket.
I used a small screw and made sure to predrill the holes, so it doesn't crack the pvc.
IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

Next, with the net cup in place slide our top bucket into the bottom bucket
it should sit securely at the bottom without coming up.

This next part was a little frustrating as I kept stressing about my measurements and not wanting to mess up.
(Using white buckets helps a little bit as your able to use a flashlight to see your markings through the bucket while assembling)

With the top bucket and net cup in place ensure that the net cup is sitting flush and measure 1 inch from the top of the netcup toward the bottom of the bucket.
Mark this height as you can see in the picture above on the bottom bucket.
(Again, white buckets here help)

I used a 7/8 hole saw and made sure that the bottom of my hole lined up with my mark.
If you don't compensate here and put your bit on your mark, you will end up with a 1-1/2" hole and that will be too low for this to hold much water.
IMG_1414.jpg

Before I started, I measured out 1/2 a gallon and a gallon and marked the lines on my bucket.
As you can see this will hold almost 3/4 of a gallon.

Next, using the 7/8-hole saw cut a hole just to the left or right of your air hole.
I believe in Azimuths write up it explains how placing this where to see when your bucket is full at runoff is helpful.
But I did mine upside down and put it on the left of the hole :lot-o-toke:

So, this is a preference thing more than anything just makes sure you can see the air hole while you fill it up.

This part I incorporated directly from @Azimuth

Cut a small piece of your PVC and place it into your coupling. 
IMG_1418.jpg

Place this into the hole you just cut with small end down into the bottom and place your PVC pipe into the other end of the coupling.
The coupling blocks any dirt from falling through into your bottom bucket.

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

CONTINUED....

IMG_1419.jpg

Next, Drill a screw into the PVC to hold it steady.

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

Now that you have that secured drill extra holes in the bottom for added drainage and air exchange

IMG_1424.jpg

Then, secure both buckets together to bring everything together.
IMG_1423.jpg

I used a piece of window screen and cut out a circle just bigger than my bucket
IMG_1426.jpg

Then slide your net cup into the bottom with the screen being pushed into the hole.
This will stop and dirt from getting into your water as well as help prevent pest from getting in.

This part made a lot of sense to me as the root zone has an added level of exposure. Anything to make the life of a pest harder and less inviting I'm down for!

Then, I added some holes in the netcup that will be in our 1" air zone
IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

Finally, black it out! I used black duct tape and electrical tape and just wrapped the bucket tight.
I tried to get every area I could cleanly apply the tape to get as much light blockage as possible.

IMG_1430.jpg

In the end, you should end up with something like this...

IMG_1435.jpg

I did apply more tape to the upper rims, so it is as blacked out as possible.

Lookin' good, Lootz!

I still think you're going to poke your eye out with that tall fill pipe. If you want it that tall so you don't have to bend over to fill the bucket, just put another coupling on the top of the lower pipe and use a portable piece of longer pipe you put in place just when you water.

Saftey first! :thumb:

Lookin' good, Lootz!

I still think you're going to poke your eye out with that tall fill pipe. If you want it that tall so you don't have to bend over to fill the bucket, just put another coupling on the top of the lower pipe and use a portable piece of longer pipe you put in place just when you water.

Saftey first! :thumb:
I promise I'm going to find or buy a new pvc cutter soon!
I don't have anything to cut it cleanly with and don't want to disturb her or get plastic shavings in her soil.

Since I will be starting new builds, I will definitely be getting one and the cut will be made.

That is a good idea tho I think I may employ that when in other builds as watering when she is large and bushy may be a problem.
It needs to be cut tho for sure and will get around to it sooner.
Thank you for checking in with me! glad to have your input in any journal!

I've been toying with this idea for a while, reading your journo has convinced me I really should just get on with it

:thanks:
@Azimuth I GOT US ANOTHER ONE! :rofl:

@Roy Growin It truly should be investigated in every garden! Just do what I did make 1 and let the results spesk for themselves.
As I said Ive done nothing different compared to her counterparts started the same day. The results and ease of maintenance for her is worth every bit of the work it takes to get it set up!

That is a good idea tho I think I may employ that when in other builds as watering when she is large and bushy may be a problem.
It also gives you some options. After they get into flower they get even more unruly so I attach a 45* fitting to the fill tube to allow it to jut out a bit so I don't have to wrestle with in-the-way buds (anymore...)

It also gives you some options. After they get into flower they get even more unruly so I attach a 45* fitting to the fill tube to allow it to jut out a bit so I don't have to wrestle with in-the-way buds (anymore...)
That was my thinking exactly!
Plus, idk how well that chimney would do in a scrog if I went that route in the future (this will be a quadline)

That was my thinking exactly!
Plus, idk how well that chimney would do in a scrog if I went that route in the future (this will be a quadline)
Right. That extension piece can be as long as you want to get out from under and away from any obstructions.

:laughtwo:

We should set up a finder's fee. Maybe I'll give you half of the revenue it produces. We can do it like a multi-level marketing scheme. :cheesygrinsmiley:
When I originally tagged you, I thought to mention it jokingly :laughtwo:
But it's not my style to profit off another man's work.

I've converted a few yes, YOUVE ASSEMBLED AN ARMY!

You may be on to something in the future tho :rofl:

Day 20 & 21

🚨Major Update Alert 🚨

Throughout history there have been many who after some time no longer needed the ones they started with.
Sometimes the talent gap is so obvious and star power so great that they no longer need the group.

Diana left the Supremes
Justin left N*sync
Beyonce left Destiny's Child
Phil left Genesis
Michael left the Jackson 5

Suzanne has that 💫STAR POWER💫

F291B1BB-92BF-4DC9-B19A-7E4D00630213.jpeg

On day 18 I began mixing up a gallon of nutrient mix to let it aerate for 24 hours.
After 24 hours the PH went from 3.9 to 4.5 so a slight change but adjustments were needed before I could feed so I used 7ml of PH up to adjust the PH to hover around 6.1.

Also, on day 18 I took time to check on the res. I lifted her out of her res. and WOW!

A5A8D990-311C-4AAC-8F4C-7E50FC83D198.jpeg

Was NOT expecting that! This explains why she is in a show of her own!

@greenvein (this was requested by you some time ago I believe sorry it took so long)

Not only does she have as much water as the soil can maintain from the res. But she can just take whatever she wants from the res directly!

I took this opportunity to then wash out her res as there was a little bit of staining, but it did not feel slimy when I washed it.
I made sure to secure her back in nice and snug. I then gave her 10 TBSP watered in normally (alternating between myco and SNS) and 250ml of SNS in the res. so not to let those roots get dry. and also dropped in a small piece of a mosquito dunk.
788CED1D-9439-47E2-912B-49A666B39277.jpeg

Then let her go about her day.

Day 19 I fed the entire garden at full strength. That wasn't my intention initially, but they looked like it shouldn't be a problem and if it is we'll back off accordingly.
For Suzanne, I gave her just enough water to get the slightest runoff in the res. very slowly, watering took a while this time.
I don't mind because watering sessions and dab sessions blend together seamlessly!
Afterward I dumped her res. with the little bit that had collected and filled it back up to full of SNS solution.
I did test her runoff and it was 6.5. Going in our solution was 6.1ish

DAY 20 & 21

Maybe I was bored or maybe I was ready to do something other than look at her in awe and I decided to make a move.
I had tied the other plants down with plant ties, but I had so much more in store for Suzanne.

I began digging in my box of parts and put together one of my most successful DIY pieces of equipment I've ever made. I say made loosely because its literally just repurposing some of the most common pieces of equipment in the growing world.
Slapping a DWC bucket together as a cloner isn't really DIY but at the looks of it its close enough.
79EF0104-0050-4836-B9AA-B0E65AA639FD.jpeg

After letting my stones aerate in tap water to rinse them from our nutrient solution.
I washed out the bucket slid the air tubes through the netting on the lid so that the larger stones that are flat sit at the bottom and the smaller stones sit barely under the water.

B6F272FC-47F3-4AD1-B4B8-BE52F262AA29.jpeg

This causes a fine mist to build in the root zone of the bucket right where our clones are sitting comfortably.

To start I took 4 Rapid Rooters and soaked them in our Myco water while I finished setting everything else up.
8F46404E-323D-4385-8AD5-AD194C8C1A7E.jpeg

I put 3 Gal of R/O water with about a QT of the myco water into the 5-gal bucket this brings the water level to about the same level as you would want to start out your DWC bucket.
I then placed this in my tent off to the side. I moved my lights to the far left side to better cover our plants while still allowing some PAR to bleed over into our clone corner.
They also have their own led bulbs on an 18/6 timer that are 5000k to help add a little blue light to their corner of the tent and promote rooting.

AB9DA7D7-93F1-440B-B91F-46DF09744214.jpeg

I started at the first node. They were long enough and thick enough to boot!
They had started to harden off at the stem and it seemed like if I was going to cut at the base of the stem it was going to have to be soon.
  • I cut as close to the stem as I could and in a clean cut took my clone.​
  • I dip it in the myco water​
  • I cut a 45-degree angle off the bottom of the cutting. Not much at all just want to get that 45-degree cut.​
  • Then I scrape the bottom slightly. Just until it looks like celery starting to shred but not too much that it becomes mushy for lack of a better term.​
  • Generously apply Clonex gel or whatever gel you prefer to use​
  • Firmly secure cutting into Rapid Rooter​
  • Cut any leaves in half making sure to leave the growth tip intact.​
  • Place RR in cloner and leave alone.​
Using this DWC/Cloner bucket I had some pretty amazing results in the past I'm hoping I can replicate history.
If so, I remember having more clones than I knew what to do with because I was taking them for practice at one point:laughtwo:

I repeated this process on the remaining bottom 3 branches from the bottom 2 nodes.
I also removed the fan leaves at the corresponding nodes. Leaving only the top 2 nodes to do their thing.

B856B52B-99C5-4DF2-927A-3AEFF90153FF.jpeg

Also, I purchased sticky pads but idk if they're going to be effective after 1-day I've caught 3 of those little bastards.
When I took the clones from her, I definitely saw way more than I had before!
This was another contributing factor to taking clones I really needed to open up that bottom of the plant and get some airflow.
She was just so freaking bushy but was doing well other than being an FG shaped haven.
I placed the sticky pads upside down over the soil in hopes to force them to have nowhere else to go.

After all that cutting, she has responded by well, not responding. It's as if she doesn't even realize Shes missing 4 arms! Shes just doing her thing without a care in the world.
I will leave her alone other than some very light lst to start suggesting the remaining nodes to where I would like them to go.
In another day I will be applying some garden ties to hold them exactly where I need them for the quadline.
She kind of forced my hand in a couple of ways her growth was just phenomenal, and I had to do something in terms of training she was going to be out of control.

8F327083-E2B7-43A6-80E2-3E4CF43F4B19.jpeg

I love her shape at the moment! I can't wait to get some clones from her. this strain is already a staple in my garden.
I love the way plants veg it's my favorite part of the grow honestly!
being able to manipulate it to our benefit is so fun to do and I can't wait to see her final shape!

I won't be doing anything else other than keeping her res filled up and directing her branches as they grow

FB1B67E7-9C5E-47F3-B622-604272B5B470.jpeg

As always thank you for your time!
and thanks for stopping by!

Another member of Azi's SIP army checking in... following along, looking really good so far @lootznbootz. The cloning setup looks super interesting!

Very interesting to see how big Suzanne is in just a short period of time, my SIP'd autos are more than double the time along and I think only marginally bigger :rofl:

Hmmm, sounds like time to compare notes and see what's different.
Lots of things but primarily I think using coco and lack of nutrition in early seedling stage may have been the biggest factor, not had many other problems than that as far as I can see with my limited knowledge :D Definitely invaluable to see it done right and compare though your 100% correct.

Back
Top Bottom