Stocking Up For The Apocalypse: Goody's Perpetual Grow By The Beach 2020

So while we are on alternate remedies for common problems, I thought I’d share my current struggles with Pythium mold.
Also known by other names- damping off, stem rot, crown mold and most commonly starts as root rot from contaminated water.

Pythium is in a family of molds that affect crops all over the world, and is devastating for cannabis. Some kinds also cause leaf blight and a myriad of other issues including turning to bud rot.

You can see from above which branches are affected. They slowly yellow and these ones wilt during the day, especially in heat.
1DA40058-92DC-4C4A-8766-7385E2055B2E.jpeg

Sorry you have to see this, @carcass it’s one of your babies.
I believe this particular mold came from occasional watering with turtle pond water. My mistake, and lesson learned there with potted plants. The little turtle boat plant was also slightly affected (just one branch) BUT I hate mold and I love science- I think I may have caught this in time.
The day I first spotted the problem was about 3 weeks ago (from the sagging leaves only on certain branches) and it was ugly as usual. The stem was brown and soft and beginning to get almost slimy. It was like cancer on my girl. So I did what some people claim works to prevent cancer. I gave it an alkaline environment to live in. I rubbed baking soda on every affected spot, there were 3 large ones. The spots didn’t extend down to the soil level so I felt like maybe I still had a chance.
I knew I didn’t want to overwater but it did need water, so I gave it about 1/3 gallon. In the gallon was pH’d tap water, with 3 ml silica blast and 2 ml Azamax. I don’t really like to use that product anymore but I didn’t want to leave the plant in a weakened state to get overtaken by predators. I used the remainder of my bottle in hopes the systemic approach might help keep pests away as it started flowering.
The next day, the brown spots have shifted much of their moisture to the powdered baking soda, which I simply wiped off. I rubbed garlic oil in full concentration directly onto the affected stem. I faced the affected areas, as well as I could, toward the sun. I figure the plant might not make this so I’m going to bake this shit in place in natural mildew killer.
No water yet, waiting until the plant is bone dry.
The following day I sprayed neem oil around and on the affected area. Again I placed the spots in the sun as much as possible.
I trimmed away one tiny branch that wasn’t going to make it, but that’s it.
The following day, back to watering with normal 6g MC, but letting the pot dry out completely every time.
So at day 4 since I discovered it, I again liberally rubbed it with baking soda.
I re-treat every few day and clear away what’s been sitting there. It seems to soak up what’s bad and leave dry stem.
Above the affected areas, you can see where the stem has swollen as the plant attempts to live on. But the stem itself is not spreading cancer anymore (at least not quickly) these were taken today-
38A5271C-11CB-4C22-9134-18D7265CBF07.jpeg
25C2F8FB-376C-47B8-AB6C-320771DCF0DF.jpeg

I have trimmed off some yellowed growth but the affected branches are still thriving. No visible bud rot (yet) and I have a close eye on it.
The good part is, the smaller branches can always be cut off with only about 1/3 loss of harvest on this one. Even where it sits now I’d get plenty to press out of those branches.
But since it’s not over until the fat lady sings, I am going to try to save these flowers with any method possible. I did the same on the little turtle boat plant and it still seems healthy and resilient.
The results will be here as the journal pushes on. Don’t let mold ruin your grow!

So while we are on alternate remedies for common problems, I thought I’d share my current struggles with Pythium mold.
Also known by other names- damping off, stem rot, crown mold and most commonly starts as root rot from contaminated water.
Pythium is in a family of molds that affect crops all over the world, and is devastating for cannabis. Some kinds also causes leaf blight which makes it easier to spot at least.
You can see from above which branches are affected, they slowly yellow and they wilt during the day, especially in heat.
1DA40058-92DC-4C4A-8766-7385E2055B2E.jpeg

Sorry you have to see this, @carcass it’s one of your babies.
I believe this particular mold came from occasional watering with turtle pond water. My mistake and lesson learned there with potted plants. The turtle boat plant was also slightly affected (just one branch) BUT I love science and I think I may have caught this in time.
The day I first spotted the problem was about 3 weeks ago (from the sagging leaves only on certain branches) and it was ugly as usual. The stem was brown and soft and beginning to get almost slimy. It was like cancer on my girl. So I did what some people claim works to prevent cancer and I gave it an alkaline environment to live in. I rubbed baking soda on every affected spot, there were 3 large ones. The spots didn’t extend down to the soil level so I felt like maybe I still had a chance.
I didn’t want to overwater but it did need water, so I gave it about 1/3 gallon. In that gallon was pH’d tap water, with 3 ml silica blast and 2 ml Azamax. I don’t like to use that product anymore but I didn’t want to leave the plant in a weakened state to get overtaken by predators so I used the remainder of my bottle in hopes the systemic approach might help.
The next day, the brown spots have shifted much of their moisture to the baking soda, which I wiped off. I used garlic oil in full concentration directly onto the affected stem. I faced the affected areas as well as I could toward the sun. I figure the plant might not make this so I’m going to bake this shit in place.
No water yet until the plant is bone dry.
The following day I sprayed neem oil around and on the affected area. Again I placed the spots in the sun as much as possible.
I trimmed away one tiny branch that wasn’t going to make it, but that’s it.
The following day, back to watering with normal 6g MC, but letting the pot dry out completely every time.
So at day 4 since I discovered it, I again liberally rubbed it with baking soda.
I re-treat every few day and clear away what’s been sitting there. It seems to soak up what’s bad and leave dry stem.
Above the affected areas, you can see where the stem has swollen as the plant attempts to live on. But the stem itself is not spreading cancer anymore (at least not quickly)
38A5271C-11CB-4C22-9134-18D7265CBF07.jpeg
25C2F8FB-376C-47B8-AB6C-320771DCF0DF.jpeg

I have trimmed off some yellowed growth but the affected branches are still thriving. No visible bud rot (yet) and I have a close eye on it.
The good part is, the smaller branches can always be cut off with only about 1/3 loss of harvest on this one. Even where it sits now I’d get plenty to press out of those branches.
But since it’s not over until the fat lady sings, I am going to try to save these flowers with any method possible. I did the same on the little turtle boat plant and it seems healthy and resilient.
The results will be here as the journal pushes on. Don’t let mold ruin your grow!
Great info.

Great info.
Thanks, hopefully I'm not leading other's plants to their death!
Growing outdoors in WA is a constant struggle. If it's not moisture it's pests. If it's not pests it's Deer (that I can't shoot) so I'm always fighting something. Another week or 2 of sun every year would solve a lot of problems, but not any of these..

Hopefully you will get it all under control and not have anymore problems
I hope so too. I kind of leave the leaf hoppers alone because they just take over anyway- but everything else gets a fight.

Cheers for the great report and intel!

I'm struggling with RH during the dark period for my flowering girl, so am keeping an eye out for these kinds of measures.

:Namaste:
It’s always an issue here, too. The morning brings that humidity and leaves stick together and next thing you know you’re breeding spores even worse than pollen! You know if you spot even a little it’s time to go at it full speed. Good to have people with back up plans just in case the first plans fall through- like they often do with outdoor grows.

Nice write up on how you’re treating the mold. Thanks for sharing that! I hope you’re gonna get you’re extra sunny days there, it looks promising so far. Beautiful picture of the moon goody :love:
Thank ya! Just one of my normal outside problems that I’m hoping others can avoid.
But look at this for the next week-
D43C1776-880C-4892-8220-5475EA3CBEFA.png

I wanted favorable conditions to finish without mildew, that’s my best chance!

Lol, I already know it my friend! I’m just south from you. It’s not always the same weather, but pretty damn close. I was hoping with how late the summer started that we would get a late finish too. So far so good. Hopefully it keeps up til you’re all done with harvest!

Lol, I already know it my friend! I’m just south from you. It’s not always the same weather, but pretty damn close. I was hoping with how late the summer started that we would get a late finish too. So far so good. Hopefully it keeps up til you’re all done with harvest!
I hope so.
I forget you live up here!
Where I’m at is about 5 degrees cooler than Seattle itself (I’m a bit more northwest) but still looking good. Usually I’m stressed by now lol

Good morning, Son!- Shit- I was worried about a little PM and a few aphids- you've got some real
crap to deal with up there- Great explanation on how you do it- hopefully, I never have to deal with pythium mold on the bigger plants.
Hell,I'm having a hard time just keeping my outdoor ladies watered enough- those 3 gallon pots are easy to move, but they dry out in about 7 hours in the heat (which we're gonna have a lot of in the coming 6 or 7 days..
Lrx#1 is looking sweet!- hopefully she remains healthy till the end- sure looks good now!
I tried to get on here for a while yesterday, but we had the baby again, and that little girl just isn't happy unless I'm close to her- she cries if I walk away, and she never takes more than a ten minute nap...
I don't know why it is, but babies, cats, and dogs just love me...

Outside are 2 @carcass LRx and 2 Gorilla Glue #4 which were supposed to be autos, and could flower at any time -
IMG_6872.jpg
IMG_6874.jpg
IMG_6875.jpg
IMG_6876.jpg
All are at various places in the yard with varying degrees of direct sun.

OMG your view in the backyard is amazing! Will be heading that way one day once I get the motorhome (maybe next year!).o_Oo_O:cool::Namaste:

Good morning, Son!- Shit- I was worried about a little PM and a few aphids- you've got some real
crap to deal with up there- Great explanation on how you do it- hopefully, I never have to deal with pythium mold on the bigger plants.
Hell,I'm having a hard time just keeping my outdoor ladies watered enough- those 3 gallon pots are easy to move, but they dry out in about 7 hours in the heat (which we're gonna have a lot of in the coming 6 or 7 days..
Lrx#1 is looking sweet!- hopefully she remains healthy till the end- sure looks good now!
I tried to get on here for a while yesterday, but we had the baby again, and that little girl just isn't happy unless I'm close to her- she cries if I walk away, and she never takes more than a ten minute nap...
I don't know why it is, but babies, cats, and dogs just love me...
Can’t wait to finally meet her in a few weeks!
Ya we sure do have our issues here, same as anywhere that gets weeks of cold wet in the middle of summer. At least I caught it, a lot of times people don’t see it until the branch has eroded and starts to bend and die. Or even worse the buds turn brown right before they’re done and spread the spores to the rest of the garden.
At least for now the PM problem is curbed, thanks to the new remedy. That #1 plant is about as far as I’ve gotten an outdoor plant without major problems or having to bring it inside to finish under lights, and we still have a solid week of sun left. I’m beyond excited. If you could see this thing in person- it’s absolutely glimmering with crystals and even looks like it might be getting a pinkish color to it. The flowers are going to be massive (fingers crossed) and all the other plants in the yard are surprisingly getting huge and healthy too. They’ve all been out there long enough jeez lol they were supposed to be autos!

If you could see this thing in person-
I can imagine!- Wait till you see your CD & Dr.S.- they're both doing incredibly well, considering they're both rootbound in too-small pots- Dr.S. is a little monster- almost won't fit through the door now.
Oh-and the WCC just started flowering today!- 30 days old- I think she's going to be a big one- her training's done and she's just now starting to stretch out a bit. (grown an inch in the last 16 hours)

I can imagine!- Wait till you see your CD & Dr.S.- they're both doing incredibly well, considering they're both rootbound in too-small pots- Dr.S. is a little monster- almost won't fit through the door now.
Oh-and the WCC just started flowering today!- 30 days old- I think she's going to be a big one- her training's done and she's just now starting to stretch out a bit. (grown an inch in the last 16 hours)
I love that strain. You are lucky too, it’ll be huge! Admittedly I’m having a hard time waiting to smoke it and it doesn’t help that it already tastes fantastic well before it’s cured haha. Looking forward to seeing where yours is at in 2 more weekends.

Liking the look of all your plants, and that the CBD is healthy and productive. You’re gonna love it for smoking and for edibles.
I also ordered some CBD flower from our new sponsor @OregonHempFlower so I’ll do a little side by side this weekend. Got CBG powder too and not sure what to expect but I’ll report on that as well.
Have a great weekend, tell everyone hello and see you soon!

I love watching these outdoor plants bulk up. This one (LRx #1) has probably doubled In size/weight in the past 3 days and is just drinking in sun this week.
810E9074-8227-4AAB-AEEB-AB860439D6E9.jpeg
and still no PM!
Is that your flag pole with the bricks around it? Ha

Back
Top Bottom