Stunger's Organic Soil Stealth Balcony: Landrace Mulanje & Other Sativas

Harvest Update!

Greeting 420 enthusiasts! My apologies for the slowdown of posts. The final Mulanje seedling died after slugs and injury got the others. It looked well aside from a half chewed cotyledon, but I think a lack of water combined with getting 'pot cooked' in some rare sunshine didn't help. And besides, I really couldn't see it working out at this time of the year, but I didn't want to chuck a load of time into it, not outdoors in winter.

Anyway, altho I grew 4 females, my early star girl, the Mulanje, took a bad turn and she was given an early chop. It was bloody unfortunate, she had looked so majestically promising. It was suggested that I may have overdone the top dressing with her, I respect those opinions and they are most probably right. But nagging at the back of my head I feel I may have stuffed up the watering of her (as well), when the summer was starting to heat up I became (in hindsight), too bloody 'splash happy' about the watering. My pots are all heavily drilled out, and as I measured the temperatures coming off the balcony stone tiles at over 50C/122F, the plants would visibly wilt every day. I had given her up to 2 drinks a day, but some hot days, especially after I measured the balcony and I realised how hot it was getting, I gave her even 3 drinks a day. I can't help thinking that may have contributed to her decline even if the top dressing didn't help either. For future grows I will go back to once day unless badly wilting - lesson learnt. Anyway, I trimmed off about 2 oz of the early Mulanje as it was too good to chuck. Even though it is early picked it gives a middle grade high that is still better than a lot of bag weed. I forgot to put that in the picture but it was immature and I didn't count it in the harvest totals.

Harvest numbers

215g Mango Sherbert
151g Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje
141g Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras
---------------------
507g or 17.9oz
============

Just over a pound, I can't complain about that!

Harvest jarred up

The big jars are 1.5L in volume.

Seed harvest

You can see the Mulanje seeds are definitely not the best looking, I mean they don't look good for germination chances, but I have already sprouted 4 of them so they 'hatch' quite fine.

The 3 others of course are beautifully mature, I didn't count them but must be a few hundred of each.

4 resulting seeds types;

Mango Sherbert x Mulanje (labelled 'MS')
(Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje) x Mulanje
(Honduras/Panama x Purple Honduras) x Mulanje
Mulanje x Mulanje

Still to come is a smoke report of this harvest. So far I have only tried the final Mango Sherbert, and that is only because I chopped her first.

Of the 2 sativas I have only tried the 17-18 week harvested buds and they are very nice, the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje seems especially fire. So I am quite interested to see what the final harvest at 20 weeks will be like, the nice thing with the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje is that only half an oz was harvested early, the majority of the plant went the full 20 weeks and is yet to be tested!

Anyway thanks for dropping by, keep well, and may your gardens be blooming! :ganjamon:

Harvest Update!

Greeting 420 enthusiasts! My apologies for the slowdown of posts. The final Mulanje seedling died after slugs and injury got the others. It looked well aside from a half chewed cotyledon, but I think a lack of water combined with getting 'pot cooked' in some rare sunshine didn't help. And besides, I really couldn't see it working out at this time of the year, but I didn't want to chuck a load of time into it, not outdoors in winter.

Anyway, altho I grew 4 females, my early star girl, the Mulanje, took a bad turn and she was given an early chop. It was bloody unfortunate, she had looked so majestically promising. It was suggested that I may have overdone the top dressing with her, I respect those opinions and they are most probably right. But nagging at the back of my head I feel I may have stuffed up the watering of her (as well), when the summer was starting to heat up I became (in hindsight), too bloody 'splash happy' about the watering. My pots are all heavily drilled out, and as I measured the temperatures coming off the balcony stone tiles at over 50C/122F, the plants would visibly wilt every day. I had given her up to 2 drinks a day, but some hot days, especially after I measured the balcony and I realised how hot it was getting, I gave her even 3 drinks a day. I can't help thinking that may have contributed to her decline even if the top dressing didn't help either. For future grows I will go back to once day unless badly wilting - lesson learnt. Anyway, I trimmed off about 2 oz of the early Mulanje as it was too good to chuck. Even though it is early picked it gives a middle grade high that is still better than a lot of bag weed. I forgot to put that in the picture but it was immature and I didn't count it in the harvest totals.

Harvest numbers

215g Mango Sherbert x Mulanje
---------------------
507g or 17.9oz
============

Harvest jarred up

Seed harvest

You can see the Mulanje seeds are definitely not the best looking, I mean they don't look good for germination chances, but I have already sprouted 4 of them so they 'hatch' quite fine.

The 3 others of course are beautifully mature, I didn't count them but must be a few hundred of each.

4 resulting seeds types;

Mulanje x Mulanje

Still to come is a smoke report of this harvest. So far I have only tried the final Mango Sherbert, and that is only because I chopped her first.

Of 2 sativas I have only tried the 17-18 week harvested buds and they are very nice, the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje seems especially fire. So I quite interested to see what the final harvest at 20 weeks will be like, the nice thing with the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje is that only half an oz was harvested early, the majority of the plant went the full 20 weeks and is yet to be tested!

Anyway thanks for dropping by, keep well, and may your gardens be blooming! :ganjamon:
Congratulations my friend. :welldone:
That's a fantastic haul.
You should be set for a while.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Fantastic harvest. And it looks like you don't need to worry about seeds for a while ;) :welldone:

Harvest Update!

Harvest numbers

215g Mango Sherbert
---------------------
507g or 17.9oz
============

Harvest jarred up

Seed harvest

4 resulting seeds types;

Mulanje x Mulanje

Of the 2 sativas I have only tried the 17-18 week harvested buds and they are very nice, the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje seems especially fire. So I am quite interested to see what the final harvest at 20 weeks will be like, the nice thing with the Malawi/Ethiopian x Mulanje is that only half an oz was harvested early, the majority of the plant went the full 20 weeks and is yet to be tested!

Beautiful harvest Stunger! That'll carry you! What a nice seed stash too! Some just don't get black lines. I don't know why. I've talked to growers about that before and they grow fine but just no lines. Go figure?

Terrific wrap to the season Stunger, :bravo:
The final Mulanje seedling died after slugs and injury got the others. It looked well aside from a half chewed cotyledon
I didn't want to chuck a load of time into it, not outdoors in winter.
Worked out perfectly then. :cheesygrinsmiley: At least you know the early seeds will germinate.
Harvest numbers

215g Mango Sherbert
---------------------
507g or 17.9oz
============
Great haul, and there's something satisfying about stacks of jarred cannabis! I hope that lasts you through next June. :)
4 resulting seeds types;

Mulanje x Mulanje
What a lovely collection of seeds, and the ripe ones have a great color to them. Those should last you beyond next June!

Congrats on some good harvests, mate. Time to enjoy the sweet fruits of your hard labour now :green_heart:
Thanks Nick! Yes indeed I'm going to enjoy the post harvest evaluation! :ganjamon:
Congratulations my friend. :welldone:
That's a fantastic haul.
You should be set for a while.
Thanks Bill! Yes, there's plenty to last till the next grow! I'm looking forward to your new garden and fishing with Howie updates, haha.
Great job, Stunger!

We (and I think I can speak for most of us) were so looking forward to your winter grow. I guess we'll all just have to cool our heels and wait on the next Summer Balcony Grow.

Congrats on the harvest. :bravo:
Thanks Azi! I would've been happy to keep the seedlings going if they were up to it but I think it was asking too much of them without at least a little protective glass house or something. But that has got me thinking..:smokin:
Fantastic harvest. And it looks like you don't need to worry about seeds for a while ;) :welldone:
Cheers Budman! Making some seeds was a major aim for me this grow so I am super pleased to have got them.
That's awesome mate. I want to try and get some seeds off my next run. Not sure the critical mass pollen I got a while back will still be viable but I'll give it a go.
Cheers Vet! I saved some pollen in the fridge but I have no idea how long it's viability will last for.
Beautiful harvest Stunger! That'll carry you! What a nice seed stash too! Some just don't get black lines. I don't know why. I've talked to growers about that before and they grow fine but just no lines. Go figure?
Thanks Otter! Yep, more than enough buds for the next year! I'll be looking to grow out a couple of these seed lines next time. The Mulanje seeds would be dark and marked if mature, but these are only 16 days old so quite immature and pale (but surprisingly they still germinate!).
Nice! (Mike Tyson voice) :ganjamon:
Thanks Fudo!:laugh:
Excellent harvest!
You really showed how to fill up limited space too! Great work!
Cheers Mel, the filling up of the balcony space can be a bit of a problem, but I have still managed to get over a pound the last 3 years from it, which is plenty for me.
Terrific wrap to the season Stunger, :bravo:
Thanks Shed!
Worked out perfectly then. :cheesygrinsmiley: At least you know the early seeds will germinate.
It was surprising, but heck I'll take it!
Great haul, and there's something satisfying about stacks of jarred cannabis! I hope that lasts you through next June. :)
That is plenty for the year ahead, and not only that, all 3 from early testing seem top shelf too.
What a lovely collection of seeds, and the ripe ones have a great color to them. Those should last you beyond next June!
I made a careful selective pollination in early March, but after a few weeks I got concerned that the longer flowering time of the sativas may mean I started a bit too early, so I did a further pollen dusting after a few weeks to 'make sure' as I really wanted to get some progeny from these genetics and I was ok with sacrificing some buddage to do so. In hindsight there was probably no need to do that second dusting, but no matter I am over the moon now that I have seeds from them, and not only that, they should be 'localised' to some extent too.
One more point on the pollination, previous careful selective pollinations have shown me that it can be done selectively without ruining the whole plant, and this time I am pleased that there was a minimum of stray seeds found elsewhere.

A plant cloche is what you're looking for. I got a set of plastic ones off Amazon with closable vents on top to keep the slugs off a coleus I was trying to grow.
I use a plastic milk jug with the bottom cut off. The screw on lids can be used for the first few days and cold nights, and taken off during the day to allow hot air to escape while still keeping a warm, greenhouse type atmosphere. Just have to be sure the bottom is well sealed against the ground otherwise you can have a convection air current ruin the whole setup.

I use them in the veggie garden to help establish warm weather plants like cukes while the weather is still a bit too cool to leave them au naturale.

That's a lot of seeds for selective pollination! Doesn't take much obviously, though I'm still hopeful to get a dozen or so off mine. :nervous-guy:
Cheers Shed, I have easily got a couple hundred seeds from a single selectively pollinated stem in the past, and this time I did more than one per plant, as I really wanted to make sure I got some. So all going well, it doesn't take much!
A plant cloche is what you're looking for. I got a set of plastic ones off Amazon with closable vents on top to keep the slugs off a coleus I was trying to grow.
The only trouble with my balcony growing location is that it gets very strong gusts of wind. Otherwise, those light weight plastic ones would work well.
I use a plastic milk jug with the bottom cut off. The screw on lids can be used for the first few days and cold nights, and taken off during the day to allow hot air to escape while still keeping a warm, greenhouse type atmosphere. Just have to be sure the bottom is well sealed against the ground otherwise you can have a convection air current ruin the whole setup.

I use them in the veggie garden to help establish warm weather plants like cukes while the weather is still a bit too cool to leave them au naturale.
Thanks Azi, if something like that is well anchor/braced for wind gusts it could work well. Altho this talk has got me thinking that something like a small upturned glass aquarium would do the trick nicely, altho sadly I don't have one on hand!

Back
Top Bottom