The Hempire Strikes Back!

OH! Yes... you need to know about the threat!
So... remember, hempy pots are hydro. Light in a hydro res = root rot or other nasty growth. White containers (or opaque in your case) will allow enough light to get thru to ruin your growing baby.
I tried a grow in a fairly thick white 3gal bucket. I really didn't think about it at all when I put the pot together. When I moved her under the stronger bloom lights, she rotted right out... I think within a week or two. If I use that bucket again, I'm gonna use some black spray paint on the outside of it.

Alright so here's sally d im not really certain how onld she is now but if i had to guess it would be 2 weeks roughly. She has some great vigor if you ask me lol.
20160527_200201.jpg
20160527_200237.jpg
20160527_200528.jpg
20160527_200534.jpg
20160527_200559.jpg
Great growth so far. This girl is going to be a good one! Ive been growing ganja for almost a year and in that time I've had two plants that were "special". These two plants grew much faster, had bigger frostier buds, and were more potent then all of their sisters. :passitleft:

OH! Yes... you need to know about the threat!
So... remember, hempy pots are hydro. Light in a hydro res = root rot or other nasty growth. White containers (or opaque in your case) will allow enough light to get thru to ruin your growing baby.
I tried a grow in a fairly thick white 3gal bucket. I really didn't think about it at all when I put the pot together. When I moved her under the stronger bloom lights, she rotted right out... I think within a week or two. If I use that bucket again, I'm gonna use some black spray paint on the outside of it.

I'll keep it in mind but i am pretty sure its ok i mean I always have used the clear or semi clear containers even since i began the hempys. I always make 3 to 4 layers of duct tape and they seem to do alright. The one time i had root rot it was due to overwatering a plant during the beginning of a reveg attempt. I took clones in time to save those genetics infact it was one of the plants from my last grow journal. If i sound harsh please know i don't mean to be im just having a shit day.

Alright so little sally d is surviving well enough given i do believe she had nute lockout due to her drain hole being clogged which i remedied i guess it would technically be nutelock caused by overwatering. She is chugging right along though so it gives me hope that i didn't screw her up lol.
20160602_020748.jpg
20160602_020752.jpg
20160602_020815.jpg
20160602_020835.jpg

well im still not 100% sure its fixed been off research all i can think of. I'll put up pics in a bit maybe yall can chime in with ideas

Alright so sally looks kinda better kinda not its hard for me to say so if anyone gots a opinion im all ears cause im not sure what to think. The internode branches look good but the rest is meh ya know?
20160608_110018.jpg
20160608_110024.jpg
20160608_110041.jpg
20160608_110106.jpg
20160608_110120.jpg

for now i just been giving her 1tsp of calimagic per gallon ph'd at 5.9 i think it was if i recall correctly might have been 6.0

With the usual disclaimers about my lack of knowledge- it looks like cal/mag deficiency to me. Try googling for images of that. I think you can up the cal/mag safely as it's pretty hard to overdose with that stuff. Google that too just to double check, lol. Failing that- there's the never ending threat of it being ph- but sounds like you have that covered.

I think you are still dealing with the root issue, she is starting to look better but must rebuild that root system to absorb nutrient correctly again.

Makes sense im just unsure of how to aid in that recovery or if there even is anything i can do.

With the usual disclaimers about my lack of knowledge- it looks like cal/mag deficiency to me. Try googling for images of that. I think you can up the cal/mag safely as it's pretty hard to overdose with that stuff. Google that too just to double check, lol. Failing that- there's the never ending threat of it being ph- but sounds like you have that covered.

I was thinking the same. See i had been over watering technically due to the drain hole being blocked, i fixed that so the drainage is fine now. I had been using rapid start from general hydroponics but i stopped it then this all happened. To be fair she hasn't had a decent strength of nutes yet only seedling strength because by the time i was gonna up the dose she started having problems and so i didn't up the dose cause i didn't want to compound the issue ya know. But back to my original line of thought mag deficiency is definitely what I thought right away but im always unsure whats too much.for them to handle and it pains me a little to admit i tend to underfeed instead of overfeeding and making my plants dark green. Hope this all makes sense im a little sleep deprived lol

Though I should add- 5ml calmag sounds like plenty. So there could be other causes than underfeeding (as usual). But the symptoms look the same.
I'm pretty sure it's pretty safe to give them a little extra.
I would google around a little and check for other possible causes of mag def.

Though I should add- 5ml calmag sounds like plenty. So there could be other causes than underfeeding (as usual). But the symptoms look the same.
I'm pretty sure it's pretty safe to give them a little extra.
I would google around a little and check for other possible causes of mag def.

I will definitely look around though i still suspect the ph even though i have recalibrated it a few times lately and i ph to the "right" range but i just don't know how it would be the ph but i still feel like it could be somehow. My new ph pen actually reads a little different where as my last on would say.just 5.9 this one reads like this 5.97 i know that last digit isn't super important however it seems to help when adjusting ph lvls like knowing how close you are to a desired ph value.

It's wise to suspect the ph levels - because with our type of growing it usually is the ph level that is causing trouble.

Magnesium is absorbed in hydro growing ( that's us ) starting at about ph6 and above. So low ph would definitely be a cause. There should be plenty Mag available in the food you're providing but apparently the plant is having trouble absorbing some nutrients right now. And of course this isn't to say that I'm wise enough to know for sure that magnesium def is the problem showing, though it looks to me like mag def along with calcium def in some of the leaves as well.
A good start might be a good flush. Especially if your drain hole was blocked for a while leading to a nutrient rich stew in the pot, and probably some imbalances and ph swings.
It takes us a little time to notice that our plant is suffering. During which time we have been feeding the plant at normal levels, but the plant itself has been suffering and unable to feed properly. So it wouldn't take long before the levels in the container are a mess.
We can confuse ourselves no end chasing symptoms- but a good flush followed by proper feeding often cuts to the chase and fixes the issues.
I flushed my Mama Thai and fed her at a slightly higher ph. I'm already seeing new healthy growth bursting out. Whether it's from the ph change or the flush, or more likely both, I'm not sure. Definitely trying some science experiments around ph when I get some clones growing.

Here's sally today she's looking semi better i think. I gave her a decent mix of nutes which I'll put up shortly.
20160612_043701.jpg
20160612_043713.jpg

Back
Top Bottom